Yeo & Yeo

Updated September 3, 2014

Thomas Hollerback

Neutral

I have been working at Yeo & Yeo full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great people to balance life with

Cons

Leadership lacks direction, very poor communication of expectations, CEO out of touch with reality

Work on communication and true open door policy.

Family oriented company that wishes to see it's employees succeed and grow.

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at Yeo & Yeo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are extremely good and are provided at minimal premiums. The company recognizes talent and the Partners are encouraging to pursue further education and certification. The firm places great emphasis on a work-life balance and is very family oriented. Co-workers make sure to include you in events and make you feel welcomed from day one. Overtime hours are allowed and may either be banked or paid at your respective wage rate which is very hard to find in the accounting profession and is a major perk.

Cons

Tax season hours are typical for any accounting firm, but the firm balances this with an excellent policy regarding overtime hours worked.

Keep the focus on family orientation while growing and expanding the firm.

Yeo & Yeo has a great work environment and the all-around benefits of being an employee of the company are priceless.

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Midland, MI

I have been working at Yeo & Yeo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees are developed personally and professionally within and outside the company. The salary structure with the comp. days & all of the additional benefits (PDO, insurances, etc.) is above and beyond almost all other employers. The firm gives you the ability to volunteer during business hours at many different non-profits.

Cons

A few challenges that come with at any public accounting is balancing the workload and personal time during the busy hours.

Try to further develop the mentor-mentee program. There are so many things to learn, like billing, account management, business development, etc., however there are not too many guidelines that new and up-and-coming employees can follow. A mentor would be an excellent person to "show-the-ropes" to the new employees.

YEO & YEO employment evaluation

Former Employee - Receptionist in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Yeo & Yeo part-time (less than an year)

Pros

some people are very nice

Cons

some employees dont do their work they are supposed to, and blame it on anyone else

fire most of the front area staff

It's all about profit for the principles - they don't walk the talk when it comes to caring about employees

I worked at Yeo & Yeo full-time

Pros

Good salary, compensated for exorbitant amounts of overtime, youthful (due to high turnover).

Cons

Management is heartless capitalists who only care about the bottom line. Layoffs are commonplace, turnover is high, pressure is high, the only motivation is for personal profit (nothing rewarding in the work). The culture is one of competition and fear. Each office is different, but a general theme of treating employees like low-skilled wage slaves is commonplace. Although salary and benefits may look decent at first, the company will do as little as necessary when it comes to these things. Management is all old, white men (with a few submissive women in the mix) and is completely old school. I imagine board meetings are similar to boards of firms in Birmingham Alabama in the 1950s. Public accounting in general has its negatives, but this place is just terrible.

A few things that might help include actually caring about your employees as people, taking an interest in and investing in their success and well-being. Rather than looking at employees as replaceable labor, invest in teaching employees the culture and values of the firm and growing strong leaders from within.

That said, the firm needs a major cultural transformation. Gender equality, racial diversity, work-life balance, flexible scheduling, having trust in employees who you select to hire, respecting differences, offering stability, finding ways to avoid overworking people, etc. Little perks like offering meals for employees when they come in for overtime (Saturdays), providing gym memberships, sponsoring outings, etc. Many of these changes will be beneficial for employees, but also economically beneficial in how productivity will increase.

Aug 25, 2014President & CEO

I am disappointed that the perception of this former employee was so negative. I would welcome a chance to talk to you in person to sincerely listen to the variety of items that you brought up. My ... More

Terrible company without positive attributes

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Saginaw, MI

I worked at Yeo & Yeo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None that I can think of. Unfortunately this company does not care about employees and chooses to pit them against each other in a game of chicken.

Cons

Healthcare, the principals in charge. I think this company is very behind in terms of technology and the glowing review here was clearly written by someone being paid to do so. Unfortunately, Yeo & Yeo is like a small town where they gossip about you behind your back and then are nice to your face. Be careful if you choose to work here.

Aug 25, 2014President & CEO

I understand that it is hard to be objectionable after being let go. I also know that it is hard for me to be objectionable because I am certainly bias in the positive direction. Everyone is ... More

Good company for established accountants

I worked at Yeo & Yeo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits. Good people. A lot of opportunity.

Cons

Horrible training program, no plan for new employees. Expectations are not always made clear.

Train employees from day one in regards to expectations. Work on comprehensive examples to help employees learn software prior to them working in said software.

Jun 23, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to review Yeo & Yeo. We appreciate the objective feedback you have provided and will take it into consideration as we continue to development communication tools for ... More

Yeo & Yeo is a rewarding place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at Yeo & Yeo

Pros

The atmosphere, while very professional, is still friendly and casual. There is a great sense of teamwork among staff. Opportunities for growth are excellent - if you put in the hard work of course. Compensation is average for the area, but the benefits are very good. You are known by name at Yeo & Yeo, and they genuinely care about you. Yeo & Yeo tries to stay technology savvy too – they do pretty good at accommodating your technology needs and have full-time IT support – a major plus in my book. There is great deal of emphasis on professional development and as such, Yeo & Yeo provides the training and tools you need to achieve success. Overall, Yeo & Yeo is just a great place to work.

Cons

Communication is less than stellar. The long and short-term goals of the firm I don’t feel are communicated well firm-wide. Messages are sometimes mixed depending who you talk to. The workload can be overwhelming much of the time. You will definitely put the hours in, but they are good about flexing time when needed. With eight offices, a sense of an overall firm-wide feel often gets lost too.

More communication - what are our short and long-term strategic goals. More firm-wide colloboration.

Jul 25, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to review Yeo & Yeo! All of the “pros” mentioned here are still going strong. We hire great people with a desire to help make Yeo & Yeo a great place to work. We have ... More

high turnover

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Yeo & Yeo

Pros

good health care, time off

Cons

extremly high turnover at the staff/senior level

invest in the future and your staff

Jun 23, 2014Director of Human Resources

Two of the most important values at Yeo & Yeo are #1) client service and #2) treating employees well. To obtain the first goal, we have to have high standards and ensure our people do too. Our ... More

Don't Do IT!

I worked at Yeo & Yeo

Pros

Great pay, some of the people are really great to work with. Other than that, I cannot think of much to say about this employe that is good.

Cons

There is a lot of backstabbing, lying, and gossip that goes on in partner meetings. Don't believe that someone is ever on your side. You are constantly compared to other people at your level and that is how you are rated. They are not supportive of women who decide to have children. They are not very open to employees who want to try new things and prefer that each employee follows in the steps of the others.

Stop acting like your in high school. Actually treat employees with respect and actually act like you care. Instead of telling your staff how wonderful you are, show it by your actions.

Aug 25, 2014President & CEO

I respect the comments discussed above. I agree that the firm is full of great people to work with. We continually improve what we do and how we show appreciation to employees. Some people and ... More