Yesmail Reviews

2.5

Mike Hilts

It's a paycheck.

I worked at Yesmail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Location (for Portland employees).
    Coworkers are generally good to work.
    Ability to work with a handful of notable clients.
    Casual-dress work environment.
    If you stay 3 years, you'll be senior and have a remote chance of promotion.

Cons

Executive leadership lacks clear direction.
    Annual Reviews only upon request and not guaranteed.
    No bonuses for the past 4 years.
    Good employees are continually leaving.
    Low pay - don't go in expecting to advance or get a compensation increase later.

Care about your employees or at least make them feel like they're given anything but a paycheck. Provide incentives and a reason to feel good about working here. Actions speak louder than words. REALISTICALLY decide what you want to be as a company and position yourself accordingly.

Where bad programmers go to die.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Yesmail full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, multiple company offices (NY, SF, PDX, London, etc). They'll overpay you. A lot.

Cons

Do you thrive in using legacy versions of obsolete software? Do you like being lied to during your interview? If so, you'll love working for Yesmail!

This is a place where best-practices are only something you hear about from your other programmer friends. This is a place where people laugh at you when they find out you've worked here and then they say "Wow, I hadn't heard that name in a long time. Didn't realize they were still around".

The projects worked on here are trivial at best. Their entire CSE team should be replaced by college interns; however, it would only benefit the interns as how to not develop software. Projects (if they can be called that) were never documented, scoped, and the requirements (never gathered) were only ever obtained after weeks of e-mail and phone-tag. Once you finally get a hold of what you need to do, it's already late and all the onus is on you.

On several occasions, managers would interview potential candidates (and be impressed) however only offer a lower position.

The only benefit is that they'll probably overpay you. But you'll need it to pay for the hilariously priced health insurance.

If you literally can not find a job anywhere else dust off that old JSP 1.0 book, read the intro chapter and you'll be good to go.

Replace your entire technology department. It's not 2001 anymore.

Awesome, innovative and growth company

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Yesmail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Visionary leadership, values staff, growing company

Cons

Insurance, technology group needs some improvement

Keep up the great work

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Getting back in the Game

I worked at Yesmail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

•Flexible work environment
    •Great People
    •Interesting field
    •Cool clients doing great work in the interactive space

Cons

•Company is in turn-around mode
    •Outdated business processes
    •Long hours

•Invest in infrastructure, business process and making system better for your employees. Actively try to breakdown data silos and integrate systems.
    •Have a place where feedback and be given and ideas shared anonymously
    •Make collaboration part of the culture again – across business functions and offices
    •Communicate more and ask for feedback
    •Do performance reviews, in a predicable fashion
    •Have clear vision, expectations and measures for success for your employees

Yesmail is a mixed bag

I worked at Yesmail

Pros

There are many friendly individuals and there can be opportunities to learn and grow.

Cons

The company doesn't seem to have clear career path for most departments. New management is not people focused and seems struggling to turn around the last few years of bad numbers and client losses.

Understand that while work is a reciprocal agreement to exchange services, a company needs to reciprocate with more than just a salary. Things like mentoring, career advancement, training, trust etc. are required to retain the best and the brightest.

My experience reflects a lot of the reviews posted about Infogroup, the company that has owned Yesmail for several years

Former Employee - Client Services  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Client Services in Portland, OR

I worked at Yesmail

Pros

You COULD end up with a nice boss and team. You will have the opportunity watch first hand how to not run a company.

Cons

You will most likely not grow here. if you go to YM go because you absolutely need the job, do not give up a mediocre job to come here. Most teams are in silos. Leadership will fight change/automation since none of them are technical. None of the upper level managers live in the same city as the company HQ. My guess is the next year or two will be spent trying to get Yesmail to a point where the new management can sell it, or if they can show some revenue growth they will IPO.
    In the end I actually decided that too many of the leaders above me were simply BAD people(not bad managers, but bad human beings) so I left.

My advice would be to show up at the Yesmail headquarters, introduce yourself and start learning the names and faces of people on teams that report to you. Also, changing the company name 5 times in 2 years doesn't actually do anything except let your clients and employees know you have no clue what you're doing. Quit focusing on taking away employee garbage cans and start focusing on quality dev.

Currently weird, but probably better than it used to be

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Yesmail

Pros

The people are great, the work/life balance is excellent, and I've learned a lot in my time here. I've been exposed to a fair number of technologies that I'd never worked with before.

Cons

Let's face it, no one is excited about e-mail marketing (AKA spam). You'll also find yourself supporting lots of crappy legacy code. And developers have to work two-week support rotations where you're on call 24/7 (although thankfully, off-hours calls are fairly rare).

Management could very easily improve morale by making pay and benefits more competitive.

Yesmail Great Place to Work, Infogroup not so much

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Yesmail

Pros

Yesmail is an innovated company, really trying to push their products and employees to the next level. Everyone is very competent and great to work with.

Cons

The sister companies under Infogroup, that Yesmail works with are, are bloated with inefficiencies. These teams need to be modified to match the pace the online marketing space demands.

Keep doing what you're doing. Yesmail is a great place to work for and moving in a great direction. Hopefully the sister companies won't bring this burgeoning company down.

Good Small Company feel

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Yesmail

Pros

Relaxed enviornment - good people- hard dedicated staff

Cons

Downtown parking / commute is costly

Suggest more discussion regarding career advancement next steps to avoid loss of talented employees.

Fun team and atmosphere

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Yesmail

Pros

If it wasn't for the team I worked with, I would have left much earlier. Learn to handle a lot of responsibilities in a short amount of time. Fast pace.

Cons

Not appreciated by management or rewarded. Only time that they give you a raise is if you show them an offer letter.

Hire from the bottom up. Email managers do a lot of work so stop underpaying them and trying to hire cheap!

Worked for Yesmail? Contribute to the Community!