Yodle

Updated November 20, 2014
3.3

Yodle CEO Court Cunningham
Court Cunningham

Pros
  • Very motivating commission structure, great training, free lunch, great culture (in 28 reviews)

• Enjoyable work environment (with the right manager) (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Base salary is deplorable, especially for living in New York (in 10 reviews)

• Low base but truly it is a commission life we choose (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

I love my job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Yodle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work with smart, fun and interesting people who believe in our mission and work to create and innovate. We get things done, and we have fun doing it. I've had an incredible amount of opportunity here. I love the challenge of being at a company that has to move fast to stay on top of the industry, and I love the environment I get to do that in. I know it sounds cheesy, but I really love my job.

Cons

No 401K match, and some of the craziness that comes with a company growing as fast as Yodle.

When things are evolving this rapidly, be sure to check in about goals, tasks and tools.

Sale Representative

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Yodle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun environment. Good guidance and support from the management and director level. Extremely favorable commission structure. Everyone is a genuinely good person. Spectacular for developing a career and quickly moving into management. You learn a lot about SMBs and how to sell and cold call.

Top performers have the opportunity to meet the high level executives.

Cons

Hard to take time off without having saved up a lot of money as vacation hurts your paycheck severely because of low base salary. Its a hard job and its not for everyone.

Match 401k.

Great company

Current Employee - Marketing Essentials in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Essentials in Austin, TX

I have been working at Yodle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free lunch, great people,and great managers who are always willing to help out and lots of fun.Lots of recognition is always given out on a daily basis.

Cons

Training department needs a little more improvement.The training classrooms are way too large and not enough attention is being focused on and given to struggling representatives. And not enough training classes are being offered to struggling representatives.

Breakdown training/new hire classes into smaller groups for more one on one time with trainers. Give new hire employees daily assessments over each daily lesson they must pass and complete each day before moving forward to insure that each representative is understanding the concept of the job and what their daily expectations consist of before moving forward.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Yodle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work with smart, passionate, creative and funny people. The culture here is so open. Really, any idea can be heard and implemented. It's a great opportunity!

Cons

There is no 401k match yet.

sales rep

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Yodle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great work environment, everyone is helpful towards your goals

Cons

cold calling all day, and hour long demos

give more training on struggling reps

High level work experience

I have been working at Yodle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Happy hour fridays after work. Free lunch prepaird on site. High energy atmosphere. High volume of sales. Mostly happy people working.

Cons

Low pay, high risk/high reward. No work life balance. Leadership is scattered and lackes the ability to make decissions in a timely manner. Constantly changing strategies. High turn over. Poor communications between bepartments. No plan.

Get it together.

Churn product out on a broad, but tech-debt heavy stack.

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Yodle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some decent perks, including free food on a semi-regular basis, snacks, beverages, and a developer budget.
    Occasional game nights.
    You're surrounded by really smart engineers, who are learning all the time.
    The tech stack is really broad, it was a blast learning and interacting with all of it.
    The QA practice is one of the best I've seen in the industry, and is the main reason how Yodle has been able to scale their product suite.

Cons

Developing engineers in Yodle == "sink or swim." Engineering managers themselves are often too busy with their own technical tasks to really help develop team members.
    Some technologies chosen are not given the full support they need in the technical ecosystem.
    Many tasks just data pushing, refactoring service code.
    Work life balance is supported in word, but in reality long hours are required to get ahead.
    Even from day one, felt very corporate, despite the façade of a "startup" feel. Yodle is nine years old, it can't be young forever.
    Not sure how effective the product is for most small businesses.

Grow your engineers. You have to actively cultivate a growth culture, which doesn't just mean "do X thing better", but giving a real path to help folks grow into a role (or meet the expectations of a role).
    Product really needs to give engineering the authority and time to overhaul old systems, still too much legacy code hanging around the system.
    Stop hiring folks from outside for technical leadership positions when some amazing folks are already there. And stop with the fluffy senior architect type positions, it just makes Yodle be ever increasingly more corporate.

Okay if you have no where to go or enjoy cold calling.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Yodle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, great culture, potential to make good money, and a great coffee machine.

Cons

terrible leads, base pay, script, and micromanagement.

Increase base pay the base pay. Let employees use the script as a guide. Employees shouldn't get micromanaged for changing a word here or there, or saying something in another manor as long as it hits all of the points that management wants.

Call Center Cowboys

I worked at Yodle

Pros

Great sales training program for people new to SEM/SEO. Decent benefits. Fun atmosphere. Management is helpful with coaching and there is opportunity for growth.

Cons

Yes it is a call center, and most transactions are small, quick sells. Can you do a one-call close? A bit of a boiler room but mostly a positive vibe there. Some angry customers though!

My experience at yodle.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Yodle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Room for advancement positive workplace, focus on having good people around you at all times. The benefit package is great.

Cons

I wish there was a better pay structure. I wish there was a better pay structure. Wish there was more bonus pay.

Good company great environment.