Yodle

Updated January 27, 2015
3.3

Yodle CEO Court Cunningham
Court Cunningham

Pros
  • Free lunch, two beer limit happy hour every Friday, ping pong table (in 30 reviews)

• great work environment, everyone is helpful towards your goals (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to take time off without having saved up a lot of money as vacation hurts your paycheck severely because of low base salary (in 11 reviews)

• Low base but truly it is a commission life we choose (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Simply put, phenomenal

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Yodle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Tons of perks, and work incentives, and holy COW so much money to be made.

Cons

It's a job cold-calling, which is not notoriously fun to do.

Keep being awesome. If you wanted to bump base salary, that'd be pretty cool, but honestly, the commission percentages already rock.

Fantastic culture that lives the work hard/play hard mentality.

Current Employee - Human Resources Site Leader in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Human Resources Site Leader in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Yodle

Pros

Yodle is very fast paced, so if you are looking for new challenges and opportunities- you will get them here. I have never worked with such smart and caring people before, and they push me through their own work ethic to be my best. The company values are not just written on the wall, they are used every day (coaching, promotions, spot bonus, awards, etc.).

Other Pros: free snacks and drinks, spot bonus, fun & energetic work environment, company events (kickball, happy hour, volunteering, trivia, etc.), ability to move up in the company, game room, work/life balance, amazing co-workers.

Cons

I have not found one yet! I researched Yodle for 2 years before I applied to work in the Scottsdale location, and I love the work hard/play hard mentality here.

Keep promoting from within- we love it!

Great place to work!

I have been working at Yodle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- friendly atmosphere
    - reward top performers
    - push you to succeed in a fast paced environment

Cons

- no 401k Match
    - NY office space is pretty tight ---- we share with a cooking school!

401k Match!

Fun Startup

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Yodle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Learn how to sale. Learn how to take rejection. Commission Great. Happy hour Fridays.

Cons

Extremely low base. High turnover. Extremely competitive. Unprofessional management.

Hard and without any real reward

Former Employee - SDR in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - SDR in Austin, TX

I worked at Yodle

Pros

free lunch, nice people (co-workers), free coffee.

Cons

managers blow up on you, they are constantly pumping loud distracting music, cold calling/boiler room like environment.

This job is polarizing. For some people, it is a great atmosphere and energy. For others, quite the opposite.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Yodle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of positive energy here; some is genuine and some is superficial. Most of the managers seem helpful and interested in your personal improvement. There's free lunch daily, which is hit or miss, but it's free nonetheless. Lots of incentives (cash prizes, etc) to motivate you to sell.

For what it is, a glorified call center, Yodle does a great job making it fun. There's Nerf gun battles going on often, balls flying around, etc. While it can be a very intense job, Yodle made sure there's the duality of goofiness.

Cons

For some people, this environment will be very overstimulating and obnoxious. There are constantly gongs going off when people make a sell (which is really just a subtle psychological trick to get fire under everyone else's butt), and this job does seem to attract a decent amount of intense and obnoxious individuals. There's definitely explicit favoritism/a good-ol-boy mentality going on here, but that's inevitable to some degree.

I don't want to speak for everyone about the noise level/intensity, for some people obviously thrive in that environment. If that's not your vibe, don't waste your time.

The base salary is terrible ($20,000 without taxes). However, that's to drive you to sell obviously. If you're not a consistent seller, you won't be making a lot. Even if you do, you're essentially just bringing your income level up to at least a median range with every sell you make to accommodate for the terrible base salary. There are a few individuals making six figures, but that's a minuscule percentile.

This is more directed to HR/Recruiting, but I'd advise to toughen up on your applicant pool. This is a churn-and-burn environment, so Yodle is always hiring and people are always quitting. With that being said, try and polish up your applicant acceptance. To be blunt, there's a lot of people there that have no place in a professional work environment. Some get filtered out, some don't.

Popularity and fraternity

Current Employee - Data Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Data Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Yodle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of opportunity for the select and chosen few.

Cons

Many people are "chosen" to do a job in management based on preformance in the wrong area. If being well liked outside of work and how many sales you've made a month on average during your emoyment is a strong indicator of leadership that's news to me. Yodle just might as well rewrite the book on proper business acumen everyone knows they have the shady the sales tactics to do so. If they don't they will throw every resource at it possible to make it happen even though they are wrong but just to prove a point they will.

Thank you for teaching the right and wrong way to do things it has helped me get to a place I never thought I would be able to. Thank you again for helping me properly identify fellow employees and leadership that really have no business being there, how to tacticfully approach them and navigate "their" style successfully so that they're ousted and look like the true under performers they are.

Fun but temporary

I worked at Yodle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, fun atmosphere, free lunches every day

Cons

Call-center job with high turnover

Give the Sales Development Representatives a higher commission rate to be comparable to the regular Sales Representatives

Limited Work Life Balance, Especially on YBN (Yodle For Brand Networks)

Former Employee - Marketing Performance Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Marketing Performance Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Yodle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited Paid Time Off
    Decent benefits overall, except for the fact that they don't do 401k match

Cons

Yodle tries to position itself as a "work hard, play hard" company, but more and more it's becoming just a "work hard" company - especially as they get closer to an IPO. Sure, it's great that there are ping-pong and foosball tables - but who cares if you can't even get up from your desk to use them? The supposed "great Yodle culture" is a dog and pony show.

I was on the performance team for a few years and was a Marketing Performance Analyst (now called Digital Marketing Analyst) for the YBN Channel. The main reason I left was because of work-life balance. We lost a coworker to another company and didn't backfill him for several months - leaving everyone else to pick up the slack. The supposed reason why we didn't backfill was because our "op-ex" expenses were too high - but this doesn't even make sense to me given that his position should have already been budgeted in. Before he even left, we were all already at full capacity, so him leaving really took a toll on us. Add to that that they started asking us to do more and more proactive work, and I quickly found myself working more and more nights and weekends. I never took breaks or lunches either - I was basically chained to my desk - as was everyone on our team. I told my director that I didn't even have time to get up to go to the bathroom most days and she just laughed. At that point, I knew I had to look elsewhere.

This is a problem that's endemic to Yodle, especially on the YBN side. This is why you see really good account directors, consultants, and other top talent leaving in droves, especially lately. It's just burn-out city. Stay away if you value work-life balance.

Other annoying things about Yodle:
    Everything is rigidly structured. I get that it's good to be organized, but toward the end we started to have a lot of unnecessary meetings and processes around processes and had to log/account for every single minute of our day (literally) etc, etc.

Staff appropriately. If you can't staff appropriately, make sure to re-prioritize appropriately.
    Make sure your team has the resources it needs before you start piling more work on
    Get a grip on why all your best people are leaving!

Don't be fooled

I worked at Yodle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with and the free lunches everyday.

Cons

High pressure sales tactics, making 130 cold calls to businesses a day, constant rejection, managers always being on your back about being better about making more calls and keeping decision makers on the phone at any and all costs. Their attendance policy is also beyond unreasonable, do not waste your time here - keep looking for another job unless you have experience cold calling and get a thrill out of being told no 100 times throughout the day.

Don't hire anyone with a pulse, that may help with your high employee turnover rate.