Yodle Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
3.3

Yodle CEO Court Cunningham
Court Cunningham

Pros
  • Free lunch, two beer limit happy hour every Friday, ping pong table (in 27 reviews)

• Fun perks like free snacks and company outings, and a fun work environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Base salary is deplorable, especially for living in New York (in 10 reviews)

• Low base but truly it is a commission life we choose (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Local Sales Rep Review

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Yodle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a great place to work if you can sell by phone. The culture is amazing fun for a call center. Tons of contest, free lunch (The food at the Austin location just became amazing. They fired the crappy chef and have hired a professional chef that runs restaurants in town -- Chef Parind Vora.), free Friday happy hour, recognition, 6 figure income, and Presidents Club trip to all inclusive resort for top-top producers.

Cons

It is still a call center. You are still grinding the phones day in and out. You are only as good as your performance last month. No 401k match. Stock options are given very sparingly.

Keep up the good work.

I enjoy working at Yodle because I NEVER feel like “Darn, I have work today” I absolutely love being a part of Yodle.

Current Employee - Customer Success Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Success Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Yodle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I feel everyone has superior interpersonal skills necessary to promote a cooperative team environment and deliver unforgettable positive customer service. Managers truly care about you and your goals and they will do anything to make you feel accepted and content with your career. I had health issues and had to take some time off and everyone was so supportive and offered to even take me to the ER or even get me food!! They were very flexible with the time off. They truly care about your well being as well. Best place I’ve ever worked for!!

Cons

Healthcare benefits could use some upgrading.

Great if you love sales.

I have been working at Yodle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

environment, management, opportunity, company values

Cons

cold call sales, commission salary

NOT the job for everyone

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Yodle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun environment, food, drinks, (even happy hour Friday's).. They do a lot of company activities to make it fun. (only because you're going to be stressed a lot), they offer benefits

Cons

Cold calls, high stress to make demos,

Search Marketing Consultant: Don't believe the hype

Former Employee - Search Marketing Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Search Marketing Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Yodle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company culture- young, smart people hungry for success. Fun perks like free snacks and company outings, and a fun work environment. Training is very robust, and coworkers are eager to help new employees get on board. Great place to get your foot in the door in digital marketing (but not if your too experienced). My managers were really supportive and great career coaches.

Cons

While management preaches a mission that is built around honesty, work ethic and putting the client first- they only really care about making money at the client's expense. The main product we sell- an SEM bidding algorithm- doesn't perform for the majority of our clients, mainly because we accept tiny budgets and niche businesses that paid search simply isn't right for.

Therefore if you are client facing role, be prepared to be cursed out on a daily basis from angry business owners wanting their money back. You end up feeling like a scam artist conning people out of their money instead of a marketing professional, and if you bring up any suggestions on how to make the structure better to actually help our clients, you are reprimanded for being "negative" or ignored. My team saw a 15 person turn over within one calender year...TWICE. You'll be pressured to work holidays like Thanksgiving, and forget about having a manageable work load. You'll be slammed with 200+ screaming angry clients you're forced to speak to regularly. Despite pulling from top tier universities, search consultant roll is basically a call center, where you are forced to read off scripts or get reprimanded. They don't want you to use your brain, just parrot the same script over and over again until the client cancels.

If considering a client facing role at Yodle, get ready to be miserable and acquire a drinking habit.

Forget the silly internal rewards and accolades. Pay your employees better to take on the onslaught of angry client complaints and retain talent. Actually listen to your employee feedback instead of ignoring it to make money. Stop promoting people to managerial positions simply because they've stayed for 3+ years, and hire managers that know how to manage and motivate their team. Don't just preach your values, practice them. Stop lying to your employees saying things will get better, new more experienced people will be hired and that your work load will become more manageable only to completely do the opposite. Until your employees actually trust management, you won't be able to keep your talent.

You'll learn a lot

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Yodle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very motivating commission structure, great training, free lunch, great culture. You can make a lot of money in a short period of time. Good people, free parking, more work equals more money. But you have to work, base pay is practically minimum wage.

Cons

Low base, it's hit or miss with getting a good manager, no room for advancement, you'll never have a steady pay check no matter how hard you work.

I worked at yodle for a year, I learned a lot in terms of aggressive sales, rebuttaling, tone, influctions, they are great on training you to make deals. It's at a point now that the company is so big there's not much room for advancement. A management position means working more and getting paid less anyway. Free lunch is a plus but it tastes awful, but hey, it's free right? Some managers there push and push and push you, make you feel guilty for not staying late or going to lunch trainings 5 days a week and starving. Their minimum is 900 dollars every 2 weeks. Let's say you hit 4k in one, but 800 the next - it'll be counted against you even though overall you quadrupled it. There we guys on final warnings to get let go even though they had 10 grand months. They make threats you'll get fired just to push and push you more and suck out every last drop they can out of you. The product is a cookie cutter for every business. Whether it's an attorney in New York or a plumber in the middle of nowhere. You'll learn to make deals and guilt trip business owners into giving you their last penny, only to see their account cancel because they got no results. This company used to be great, but with hiring guys from DOW Jones and raising even more expectations for sales, they're burning everyone out and the culture Is slowly deteriorating.

Don't preach work life balance and shrug off managers guilt tripping reps into staying late when they have kids and a wife to get to. Offer more training to those struggling. Change the minimum rules. Someone hitting 10k in a pay period but still being prohibited from working over time and getting threats of being terminated? Really? Make sure all managers are on the same page. Getting your manager changed 5 times in 6 months when they all have differing opinions on tone, fluctuation and how to read script screws people up.

Very Relaxed Atmosphere!

I have been working at Yodle full-time

Pros

Free lunches in house, available market to purchase drinks and snacks, areas to blow off steam and play video games, pool or ping pong.

Cons

Management treats you like a number and not like a person. They hear you but don't listen to your concerns. Also, when everyone seems to be doing well and making a decent bonus, management goes in and changes it so it is harder to it.

Great Growth, Great Chaos

Current Employee - Client Services in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Client Services in Austin, TX

I have been working at Yodle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Professionally challenged daily. Supportive management. Zero micro-managing. Unlimited time off. Booming growth.

Cons

Selling a product that is not complete, does not exist. Exec Team disassociated with actual product & functionality. Mediocre-Low salary.

YBN: Compensate more fairly. Deliver on a working product. Learn how to accommodate high-volume employee turnover.

Great company

I worked at Yodle full-time

Pros

Room for advancement, positive workplace, bootstrap mentality and a real focus on having good people around you at all times. The benefits package, while not robust, is one of the best for a company like this.

Cons

I wish there were a better defined pay structure. There didn't seem to be the ability to have a frank discussion about a pay increase until it became a dividing issue but, even then, there wasn't much room at all to change hearts and minds.

Take a closer look at the salaries other companies are offering for people with similar skills.

Good Place

I worked at Yodle

Pros

They are fast paced and I loved working at that company.

Cons

Limited Growth, but management will work on you to be ready for the position when it comes up.