YogaWorks Reviews

3.4

Phil Swain

Excellent!

I worked at YogaWorks part-time

Pros

YogaWorks has and values a strong community feel. They value and reward a strong, independent work ethic. It is also inspiring to work in a company that supports and encourages healthy living. Much of the staff even practices and exercises together.

Cons

They need a bigger corporate team. The company continues to grow and expand, yet the corporate team hasn't grown along with it. Too many people are doing multiple jobs. With an expanded team, they could easily provide more job opportunities and support their expansion.

Think bigger.

No Vision, Stagnant and without the new investors would have failed already as a business

Former Employee - Sales in Tarzana, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Tarzana, CA

I worked at YogaWorks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free yoga for emloyees, of course after you are done with your 8-10 hours of hard selling prospective yogis by focusing on their weeknesses.. you are a bit too drained to do anytihing. The front desk staff (I was not one) are usually amazing people with great personalities and unfortunately they didn't seeem to get as much credit as they deserved; when they were less than trained management blamed them? Pay is good if you don't get stuck in one of the sinking ship locations, otherwise be sure to have another job lined up for the 90 day review; turn-over is high.

Cons

The managers don't have management experience and are incapable of making decisions. The home office micromanages how the business is run for every location. The cookie cutter style doesn't work for the types of clientel in the fitness/yogi industry and intelligent people catch on quick. The turn-over is so high the sales goals are created to prevent financial loss on paper instead of maintaining relationships and customer base. As long as the paperwork looks good YogaWorks will continue to grow; however they will never fix their issues because their system is built by sales people and destine to fail.

Stop promoting the best sales people to run locations; they are actually horrible when it comes to empathy (for customers or employees) ,management, and have blinders when it comes to training employees. If you can't do it their way don't expect help because they have no experience teaching just doing. Let the individual locations decide to offering packages vs only offering monthly rates; especially when competition is selling packages right around the corner(and it will forever be an industry standard). In sales instead of attempting to sell someone on their weakpoints maybe try to be more humane and just tell them why YogaWorks is better, because in the end it is better for the beginner to moderate yogi.
    Starting a relationship by scaring a person into buying a program will fail everytime, they catch on within a few months and quit anyway. The district and regional manager are 'the best sales people' in the company and thats why the company is not doing as well as it should be. The lack of management skills trickles from the top to the bottom. Talk to the teacher(instructors) they can tend to be 'pre-madonnas' but in their own right; I believe it's fair. Listen to them and their concerns as they usually are repeating and absorbing the general feel of their students. It takes a specific type of personality to make a good instructor and expecting yoga teachers to sell their classes like the sales staff is just silly; they are not built for that.

Very Flexible and Great Energy to Be Around

Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at YogaWorks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Free Yoga
    -Casual dress workplace( you can wear your yoga pants to work!)
    -Very Flexible schedule
    -Great Energy all around
    -You can bring your dog to work
    -Small office still were we can go walk to their desk and ask them a question, instead of emailing back and for a simple request.

Cons

-Employee parking lot is very small, have to park several blocks sometimes during sweeper days.
    -Office space overall is getting smaller as we expand
    -Office space can get noisy since its open throughout the departments.But at least we can use our headphones

I miss team building activities like bowling,beach days, lunch etc with the whole back office. So many knew faces I really don't know whose who.

Very chill place to work.

Current Employee - Greeter in Tarzana, CA
    Current Employee - Greeter in Tarzana, CA

I have been working at YogaWorks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free yoga, nice and understanding management, realxed environment, no dress code, meet cool people (employees and members)

Cons

Membership to yogaworks is expensive, it's corporate, so there are a lot of rules/restrictions, but not as much as, say 24 hour fitness. Have to work nights, weekends, holidays becuase the studio is always open.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at YogaWorks full-time

Pros

Yogaworks is a great company to work for especially if you are looking for growth opp. The culture in each studio differs depending on the managers, but most studios are great! I would recommend YogaWorks to anyone who asks.

Cons

As the company grows the work load increases and less support is given by the home office team. They are trying to give support, the team is too small to give adequate support to all of the studios.

As work load increases also increase employee pay/benefits

Super place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at YogaWorks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, World class yoga, wonderful cultural, lots of fun

Cons

Growing fast, so at times can be overwhelming keeping up with the changes

Keep training us. We all want more and don't want to miss out on opportunities when they come. We also need better benefits and maybe more money!

Yogaworks.. for Everybody

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at YogaWorks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

calm & relaxed environment.
    fun place to work!
    great co-workers and managers
    Great teachers.
    Yoga, Pilates, Bar classes available for free as an employee.
    Spouse/significant other has a free membership

Cons

Pay is not that great for the amount of work we do. I don't think our corporate office or executives realize how much work we have to do daily basis.
    This is a sales environment. We are constantly selling something.
    It's definitely not your average yoga studio. Yogaworks is a little more lavish than most. High end yoga. Does this take away from traditional practice of yoga? I guess as a student, you do not realize any of the back office stuff that really goes on.

I hear of our studio always doing well, but we do not see the return with pay.

Great at first, but starting its descent into becoming a terrible company.

Current Employee - Greeter
    Current Employee - Greeter

I have been working at YogaWorks part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule if you are a greeter. Some really great people to work with, and some of the members are awesome. Compensation isn't the best, but it's pretty good for the amount of work expected, at least for now (see Cons below). Also, free yoga is awesome.

Cons

The direction the company is taking is disturbing, to put it mildly. With a swift focus being put on profits, the culture of the company is changing to one of a cold, heartless nature. Employees are being forced by management to badger prospective and current clients to buy buy buy. In a call I made recently, which was the 4th call made to this person in 3 weeks, I was told by the member that she was "disturbed by Yogawork's sales practices as of late". I wish I could disagree with her.

As time goes on, employee's work loads are increasing, without any plans for increasing compensation. This is across all positions, including Yoga Advisors, Managers, and other various management positions throughout the company. Plus, the teacher compensation is abysmal considering the amount of business Yogaworks does.

The employees are being treated like lesser beings. We are all starting to fear for our jobs, over nothing other than our new regional vice president wanting to convert our studio culture to be that of a sleezy used car dealership. If you don't fit the mold, you're on the chopping block. Some people have been fired recently for reasons that I'm sure can be contested in court. Change is happening just for the sake of change, not for the sake of bettering anyone other than shareholder's wallets, and fulfilling power trips.

disclaimer on my review at the bottom:
    I would encourage someone to work here for a day job. It's great if you are an artist or college student.

It's understandable that you are a business, and must make money. It is not understandable to operate as if we are debt collectors towards prospective members that don't owe us any debts. Be a good studio, treat your employees like human beings, operate like you don't view your members and employees as expendable, and the business will come. Your desire to expand to quickly is wiping away your humanity.

Operate with compassion, and a desire to have high quality yoga. It is humanly possibly to put money in your wallets without acting like corporate robot monsters towards your employees and members.

Being human is not a detriment to your profits. I guarantee that it will only help. Plus, employees are likely to stick around longer, which will contribute to member satisfaction and smooth operations within the studios.

It's amazing that I have to remind Yogaworks of these simple business ethics and practices, but the company's operations as of late seems to imply that logic and empathy are no longer a key component of Yogawork's values.

More work-life balance, focus on retention through improved benefits, and request input from those on the front lines

Current Employee - Yoga Advisor
    Current Employee - Yoga Advisor

I have been working at YogaWorks (more than an year)

Pros

Great yoga classes, hardworking teachers and employees, and a community who is passionate about yoga and its values and make the job worthwhile.

Cons

-Retention of employees (other than teachers who bring in numbers) is not communicated to employees as a strong consideration for the company due to the lack of a competitive and liveable benefits structure. Many excellent employees have left as they were not given raises, promotions, increased benefits or any other reason to stick around other than just to see if they stick. With the incredible rate the company is expanding wouldn't a committed and dependable employee base be vital to future success? That this is so grossly overlooked is terrible for the company and leads to burn out and stressed out employees who are always caught having to work twice as hard due to the constant turnover.
    -With all of the expansion it appears there is room for finances to be poured back into improving the benefits structure as well. Training and other incentives like company retreats that foster improvement of the company and increase retention should be put first before opening another studio.
    -Yoga values of work/life balance are not designed into the structure of the company and are even discouraged. The great company values we have need to be put into practice in tangible ways that are supported in the structure and design of the company.
    -There is minimal formal training of employees and no formal ongoing training for non-yoga teacher employees. These employees and our customers would benefit immensely from a much more thorough and ongoing training by a formal training department not overworked managers and assistant managers. Customer service, sales and retention of employees and customers would increase dramatically.
    -Management is stretched too thin and training new employees constantly due to turnover from lack of retention efforts by the company, causing for poor customer service and a stressful work environment. Employees feel very expendable and the environment is churn and burn.

This is more advice to those who make policy and procedures than management: Focus on retention of talented employees and support them with better benefits (raises, more work/life balance encouraged and fostered, matching 401k, better health benefits, retreats etc), and better/more formal training. Stop expanding superficially and make the core of the company, its workforce and training, more strong and stable to enable for smooth expansion by a functional company.

Pluses and Minuses

Former Employee - Yoga Advisor
    Former Employee - Yoga Advisor

I worked at YogaWorks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many dedicated yogis with great compassion for students and the study of yoga. Ability to practice yoga at no cost with great instructors. Instructors, for the most part, can stay above the studio politics, as can many (but not all ) of the students.

Cons

Yoga Advisor position is a big disconnect from the yoga. Sales quotas and relentless pressure to sign up new members is stressful, and some of the tactics seemed inconsistent with the practice of yoga.

Management needs to remember this is yoga - and involves a philosophy that is not consistent with commission sales pressures.