YogaWorks

Updated January 14, 2015
Updated January 14, 2015
3.3

Phil Swain

Look forward to coming to work!

Current Employee - Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at YogaWorks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice environment to work at 8-10 hours per day. I never feel like it's a job, because I love what I do. The company is very supportive. Definitely a work / personal life balance, which is awesome! Respectful employees and upper management is VERY supportive. The yoga is great, the teachers are outstanding! Company is expanding, so opportunities are ahead to grow.

Cons

Not particularly a con, however, this is a sales environment, so be prepared to have goals and be kept accountable for reaching them.
    The pay could be better, of course, but keep in mind, it's a relaxed environment where we have fun everyday. We are not in a cubicle and we don't have to wear suits and ties. We are in comfy yoga attire! Sometimes even barefoot!

Keep motivating us to do great! Keep the contest coming! (Especially the gift card contest!... no taxes taken out!)
    Not sure why people are disapproving of the CEO in other reviews. Our CEO is fantastic. VERY supportive, and door is open all the time. Call him up anytime, he will answer. Our Regional VP is on it, anytime you need her, she is there for you. One of the best managers ever! HR dept is on top of it. They finally have more help in that department, and the help is very responsive!

YogaWorks is an encouraging, motivating and exciting company to work for!

Current Employee - Studio Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Studio Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at YogaWorks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've worked for YogaWorks for about a year and a half and have learned so much about running a successful business. The management structure allows for the support needed to run my studio as if I owned it. I have the tools needed to be successful and the autonomy that I need to thrive. Also, YogaWorks likes to promote from within so there is growth opportunity for those who desire it. My Regional VP is the most supportive boss I've ever had. She challenges me to grow while guiding me to be the best I possibly can.

Cons

We're open 7 days a week so scheduling can be a challenge at times. Also, as we continue to grow new regional roles will need to be created to support existing staff.

Wonderful brand name studio, well recognized in the field

Current Employee - Yoga Instructor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Yoga Instructor in New York, NY

I have been working at YogaWorks as a contractor

Pros

Well-known brand to attached credibility as an instructor. Good work-life balance. Great teachers!

Cons

Lowest pay for instructors in comparison to gyms like Equinox, NY Sports Club, etc.

Listen to student feedback on which teachers that they want...

Numbers, Numbers, Numbers

I have been working at YogaWorks

Pros

Unlimited Yoga access, and discount on best Teacher Training in the country.

Cons

As the company has grown, it's become more and more sales focused and has lost it's sense of community and yoga focus. The Yoga Advisor position, in particular, is soul draining and disconnects you from yoga! The company doesn't pay well and has a terrible vacation policy.

It's not about yoga anymore. It's about sales: sales calls, sales meetings, sales follow ups, sales emails.

Current Employee - Yoga Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Yoga Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at YogaWorks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedules. The Yoga teachers are amazing. The good ones elect to travel and do retreats to make more money. Very good employees who joined YW because they love yoga. Very knowledgeable staff and teachers about yoga and the benefits of a practice.

Cons

Intense drive to make sales by calling and emailing new leads relentlessly; we hound customers to sign up for a membership. We have to. It's the only way to make our very aggressive goals and be compensated for it so we can have a living wage . Sales is the main topic of staff meetings, staff communication, studio updates, and company communications and expectation. The drive is so hard that we lie to customers by telling them we have specials that are expiring and after they expire we tell customers that the specials have been extended. And when those specials expire we call again about another extension. We do this over and over, week after week and month after month. It's exhausting and confusing for the staff and customers. There's no integrity in this and it is a very desperate way to run a business. The majority of the employees feel the pressure and desperation.

If you understood the frame of mind of the yoga community and the customers who come to yoga, sometimes on the advise of a Dr., then you wouldn't be so sales driven. You would understand that it's about an amazing product and customer relations. That should be your focus. It would help you keep the customer (retention) and drive sales. Customers come to us to de-stress, sometimes on the advise of a Dr. only to be bombarded by an aggressive sales approach that turns most of our customers off. On average, if we make hundreds of calls/emails over a week period, we'll get maybe one or two who call back and are interested.

Excellent!

I worked at YogaWorks part-time

Pros

YogaWorks has and values a strong community feel. They value and reward a strong, independent work ethic. It is also inspiring to work in a company that supports and encourages healthy living. Much of the staff even practices and exercises together.

Cons

They need a bigger corporate team. The company continues to grow and expand, yet the corporate team hasn't grown along with it. Too many people are doing multiple jobs. With an expanded team, they could easily provide more job opportunities and support their expansion.

Think bigger.

No Vision, Stagnant and without the new investors would have failed already as a business

Former Employee - Sales in Tarzana, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Tarzana, CA

I worked at YogaWorks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free yoga for emloyees, of course after you are done with your 8-10 hours of hard selling prospective yogis by focusing on their weeknesses.. you are a bit too drained to do anytihing. The front desk staff (I was not one) are usually amazing people with great personalities and unfortunately they didn't seeem to get as much credit as they deserved; when they were less than trained management blamed them? Pay is good if you don't get stuck in one of the sinking ship locations, otherwise be sure to have another job lined up for the 90 day review; turn-over is high.

Cons

The managers don't have management experience and are incapable of making decisions. The home office micromanages how the business is run for every location. The cookie cutter style doesn't work for the types of clientel in the fitness/yogi industry and intelligent people catch on quick. The turn-over is so high the sales goals are created to prevent financial loss on paper instead of maintaining relationships and customer base. As long as the paperwork looks good YogaWorks will continue to grow; however they will never fix their issues because their system is built by sales people and destine to fail.

Stop promoting the best sales people to run locations; they are actually horrible when it comes to empathy (for customers or employees) ,management, and have blinders when it comes to training employees. If you can't do it their way don't expect help because they have no experience teaching just doing. Let the individual locations decide to offering packages vs only offering monthly rates; especially when competition is selling packages right around the corner(and it will forever be an industry standard). In sales instead of attempting to sell someone on their weakpoints maybe try to be more humane and just tell them why YogaWorks is better, because in the end it is better for the beginner to moderate yogi.
    Starting a relationship by scaring a person into buying a program will fail everytime, they catch on within a few months and quit anyway. The district and regional manager are 'the best sales people' in the company and thats why the company is not doing as well as it should be. The lack of management skills trickles from the top to the bottom. Talk to the teacher(instructors) they can tend to be 'pre-madonnas' but in their own right; I believe it's fair. Listen to them and their concerns as they usually are repeating and absorbing the general feel of their students. It takes a specific type of personality to make a good instructor and expecting yoga teachers to sell their classes like the sales staff is just silly; they are not built for that.

Very Flexible and Great Energy to Be Around

Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at YogaWorks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Free Yoga
    -Casual dress workplace( you can wear your yoga pants to work!)
    -Very Flexible schedule
    -Great Energy all around
    -You can bring your dog to work
    -Small office still were we can go walk to their desk and ask them a question, instead of emailing back and for a simple request.

Cons

-Employee parking lot is very small, have to park several blocks sometimes during sweeper days.
    -Office space overall is getting smaller as we expand
    -Office space can get noisy since its open throughout the departments.But at least we can use our headphones

I miss team building activities like bowling,beach days, lunch etc with the whole back office. So many knew faces I really don't know whose who.

Very chill place to work.

Current Employee - Greeter in Tarzana, CA
    Current Employee - Greeter in Tarzana, CA

I have been working at YogaWorks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free yoga, nice and understanding management, realxed environment, no dress code, meet cool people (employees and members)

Cons

Membership to yogaworks is expensive, it's corporate, so there are a lot of rules/restrictions, but not as much as, say 24 hour fitness. Have to work nights, weekends, holidays becuase the studio is always open.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at YogaWorks full-time

Pros

Yogaworks is a great company to work for especially if you are looking for growth opp. The culture in each studio differs depending on the managers, but most studios are great! I would recommend YogaWorks to anyone who asks.

Cons

As the company grows the work load increases and less support is given by the home office team. They are trying to give support, the team is too small to give adequate support to all of the studios.

As work load increases also increase employee pay/benefits