YogaWorks Reviews

2.9
Phil Swain

1. Yoga Advisor

I worked at YogaWorks full-time

Pros

Great environment with lots of support. Unlimited Yoga!

Cons

They don't give salary increases for performance and years invested. Everyone makes the same. Hard to grow in this position.

Advice to Management

Give performance reviews. A way one can make more money and grow.

2. Yoga for Sale

Former Employee - Assistant Studio Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Studio Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Great teachers, free classes, co-workers are very friendly

Cons

Only focused on sales. Some studios are run down.

Practice what you preach!

Former Employee - Greeter, Yoga Advisor, and Retail Point Person in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- free yoga membership - loved the people I worked with - felt great selling products that supported something (practicing yoga) that is genuinely good for people - some opportunity to grow within the company

Cons

- the pay was horrible, considering everything that was asked of us - we were offered store credit and a higher discount on merchandise instead of a paid raise - the company grew to have much more of a corporate vibe, especially when ownership switched - We were really pushed to SELL memberships, so much so, that at times I felt like we were a car dealership, rather than a yoga studio. This felt extremely contradictory to what we were teaching in our classes.

Advice to Management

- Better compensate your employees for the job(s) they do - you're moving further and further away from the core teachings of the Yoga Sutras.

5. Yogaworks UES

Pros

The ragional manager is insane!

Cons

Classes are good but crammed

6. Front Desk Greeter

Current Employee - Greeter in Westlake Village, CA
    Current Employee - Greeter in Westlake Village, CA

I have been working at YogaWorks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent staff, Clean and quiet environment, lots of classes to take, great starting rate. Get bonuses if studio hits goal.

Cons

Been here for a while, greeters don't get a raise, at all. No full time work, for greeters. Could be a little better.

7. Kidsworks employee

Former Employee - Kidsworks Employee
    Former Employee - Kidsworks Employee

Pros

The kids The flexibility in scheduling

Cons

The management doesn't really care about the safety of the kids. The facility was constantly understaffed and there were never new toys or supplies bought for them in all my three years there. I took initiative and bought toys myself because I actually cared about them. Staff was not trained well, and for watching sometimes 15 kids at a time, including infants, changing their diapers, 10 bucks an hour was not worth it. No raises also. To top it off, management would lie to the parents and tell them that everyone was first aid and CPR certified which was absolutely false. This made me the most angry. This is honestly the beginning of the crap that occurred there..

Advice to Management

Care more.

Terrible company going DOWN

Current Employee - Greeter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Greeter in New York, NY

I have been working at YogaWorks part-time

Pros

(SOHO location) Free yoga, great people, great members

Cons

Where do I even begin? This company is run by corporate and greedy individuals who are desperately trying to keep the company afloat despite their efforts actually having the opposite effect. All they care about are numbers and the bottom line figure. Facilities are not taken care of and efficiency is not of any importance to them. Computers are old and work slowly making the process so much longer and more stressful. YogaWorks really treats their employees terribly. No one is valued and everyone is expected to be overworked for no additional pay/very low pay. This is also why their turnover rate is so, so high. Sales and greeters are constantly leaving. This corporate company doesn't value anything about Yoga. YogaWorks is going to fail.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Don't sell short term for long-term. Think about ways to be efficient instead of giving your sales representatives crushing goals.

The best work experience ever.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at YogaWorks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I feel very fortunate to work in the Northern California region of YW. The culture is positive, proactive and team-oriented. There is zero tolerance for gossip or negativity. (love that!) I have been coached well and have seen tremendous personal growth in myself, not just in my work life, but my personal life as well. I am a better person because of working here. Period. I've seen my co-workers evolve as well. Everyone's gifts are brought to the table and we are better for it. Communication is open and productive; everyone is committed to excellence; there is a passionate commitment to making the world a better place. Warm and fuzzy with clear, solid directives. Plus, in my position, I can work wherever I want to and I get to make my own hours. As long as I hit my goals, all is well. It's pretty much a dream to work here.

Cons

Ahhh, well…the pay. It's challenging because I think they are somewhat fair in how they compensate people but it is so expensive to live in the Bay area. Plus, as much as I love having the freedom to work on my own, having a functional office space onsite would definitely boost my efficiency.

Advice to Management

Please upgrade work spaces. A bit more pay would make a difference. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing. It's awesome.

10. Manager

Pros

Great co-workers. Lots of management support.

Cons

Sales environment. Can be a surprise to some.

Selling Soul on Behalf of a Souless Company Can be Very Difficult

I worked at YogaWorks full-time

Pros

- Free Yoga (although you may be so glad to leave each night that you don't use the free classes as much as you expect to) - Employee Discount in Boutique - Casual Work Environment

Cons

- Disappointing lack of Honesty and Integrity in every department throughout the company - High Pressure sales tactics - With expanding number of studios, what used to be "best yoga classes" is now more like "most yoga classes"

Advice to Management

- Be more yogic in your dealings with staff, students and each other. - Yoga is trendy right now, but like all things it will soon fizzle out, so it would be better to think long term, slow and steady wins the race.

RSS Feed </> Embed