Yokogawa Electric

Shuzo Kaihori

A very good company

Current Employee - Applications Engineer I in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer I in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Yokogawa Electric full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have only been employef here for 2 months and this is a dream company for me. I like my job, my supervisors and also my work.

Cons

Haven't found any cons yet.

Keep up the good work and everything will be perfect.

A job to be thankful for...

Current Employee - Engineering Aide in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Aide in Houston, TX

I have been working at Yokogawa Electric as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Overtime pay, regular employment, and educational help. The system works as long as you have the time to devote to irregular work hours

Cons

Overworked, too little workforce, and Theory X management. The ebb and flow of the scale of work is at times daunting.

Please, for the love of education, hire people with business backgrounds. Promoting engineers to management positions leaves the company under-equipped to handle a fast paced business world. Furthermore, an increase in the number of sales people would exponentially increase the Company's impact in the US market share.

Good place , great products

Current Employee - Applications Engineer II in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer II in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Yokogawa Electric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to know every thing about products, make good relations with customers , and get the company name on your resume,

Cons

None friendly work environment , HR has no smile on their faces

Keep your employees not by paying more but by making work environment livable , encourage activities , I have seen ppl leave the company just for that

Amount of training does not match expectations of performance.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Yokogawa Electric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, competitive pay, good benefits, lots of ways to be involved with committees and company events, casual Fridays, possibility for an annual bonus.

Cons

Supervisors have high expectations for performance but do not give enough training for employees to meet those expectations. Especially when different trainers provide contradictory training.

Consistent training is necessary for employees to perform at their best.

A great company with reliable products, but has an autocratic management culture that leads to massive turn over.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Yokogawa Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Yokogawa has great, reliable products. It is also a great place to begin your career and learn a lot.

Cons

Upper management including HR is toxic, and this culture flows down and is pervasive in all management. Management is not interested in any opinions or ideas of its employees as this is generally perceived as dissent.

I would suggest that the company attempt to make a major cultural shift from the top down to make the work environment and culture a more positive one.

A good entry point into oil and gas

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Yokogawa Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're looking to get into oil and gas it's a good place to start. They have great technology and will train you.

Cons

It's a good entry point into oil and gas, because most who leave are determined not to return. It's a very manufacturing-minded organization that loves to monitor and micromanage. They also tend to pay executives very high and workers very low.

When you SAY your employees are the most important asset ACT like you mean it.

A great experience. I'd still be working for YEC if I could.

Former Employee - Senior Proposals Specialist in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Proposals Specialist in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Yokogawa Electric full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was only there for four months, then I had a stroke and couldn't work. Great family atmosphere while I was there. Great work culture.

Cons

Competitors seem to think Yokogawa has a "sweatshop" reputation.

I didn't get that impression at all, but I was only there a short while.

An average company, with average pay. But decent benefits.

Current Employee - Information Technology in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Yokogawa Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, family focused employer that does not push for extreme amounts of overtime or working hours.

Cons

Your PTO time shared with your sick time. Compensation is fair, review process is sub par... typical process you receive a few words from your immediate manager, and the director of the department pulls a new raise amount out of his/her butt. (E.g lets see this guy gets 2%, this guy 1%, and this guy 4%) Career path's are not here, unless you are with the in crowd there are no clear paths to new levels. Much of the management has been around since the buildings inception in Newnan/Sugarland. They are old school, have their own crowd and are set in their ways.

Listen to the people you have hired. You hired them to do a job, many of them new with fresh ideas. Don't turn these people down just because it doesn't fit into your old school thinking.

Great Products, Poor Management

I worked at Yokogawa Electric

Pros

Better benefits than many US companies at a much lower cost; great opportunity to break into Oil and Gas if you have little or no industry experience.

Cons

Unless you start at the bottom of the totem pole you're likely in a dead end job; too much heavy-handed management from Japan; poor US market strategy

You need to get an executive leader that can unite the Systems and Instruments personnel or you'll forever be an also-ran in the US.

Freedom to perform outside your job responsibilities to complete project which in turn grants much experience.

Current Employee - Specialist in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Specialist in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Yokogawa Electric

Pros

Time flexibility when at the office was great. Communication between engineers was very open. Not too many forms were needed to be filled out in order to get information or help from other departments( even IT )

Cons

Overtime was hardly payed for an exempt employee. SCADA department lacked projects even though their HMI system and PLC are really great tools to work with SCADA.