York Risk Services Group

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Richard H. Taketa

No appreciation of individual achievement!

Claims Examiner (Former Employee) Roseville, CA

ProsGood variety of people to work with. They all bring differing views on the approach to problem solving.

Consfavoritism and no appreciation of individual acheivement. The company only values numbers and treats its employees as disposable tools. You are expectted to produce like a machine and are not valued for your efficiency or creativity. There is blatant favoritism and you are not encouraged to take time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistribute the workload evenly and rearrange management in order to diminish favoritism.

Unorganized company with no morals

Intake Coordinator/Transcription (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsYou will get a decent amount of experience in multiple areas of business and you don't need any experience or education to be hired.

ConsThe pay is average or below, the vacation time and benefits are not good and the people, as well as the companies goals and morals are miserable and unmotivating.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be replaced entirely, with new staff as well. Hire people that present themselves in a professional and curtious manner. If you take the time to find quality employees, the benefits will show in the work itself and customer satisfaction.

Experienced & proven performer looking to advance/challenges!

Worker's Compensation Claims (Current Employee)

ProsNice co-workers. Lots of training.

ConsNo room for advancement, work not challenging, need to have more options for proven work performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook internally for candidates to fill jobs/advancement, raises, better work-life balance.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Future Medical Examiner

Future Medical Examiner (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsI have enjoyed my role and tasks a lot and also liked all my co-workers who were friendly, hard-working, motivated and all stuck together.

ConsMy own supervisor was awful and not capable at all. Although she was friendly and had lots of industry experience, she did not know how to manage her team, how to motivate, give directions, train her staff properly, support and encourage team building, she was not a leader at all and made all of our lives miserable. All the other management was disappointing too, to the outside friendly, but nothing was organized, internal procedures were not set up properly, and procedures changed all the time as well. The worst thing was the case-/workload. As it was a new office (gained new account and took over from former TPA) they worked on a very tight budget and therefore had not hired enough staff to handle the workload. Training was awful and the whole office was lacking structure and proper leadership. The caseload for experienced Future Medical Examiners was between 300-400, although it was stated in new job openings on their website that FM Examiners would only handle a maximum caseload of 150. This was not true at all, so be aware to have an immense higher caseload than they promise in their job descriptions and/or in interviews. For weeks all employees were forced to work overtime for an extra 10 hours per week, which was extremely exhausting over a long period of time. They started firing a lot of employees (as they could not handle their work any more which was not surprising due to the circumstances) and a lot of people started quitting as well because work conditions were unbearable overall. Unfortunately, there was no employee appreciation and no positive feedback, which is very disappointing if everyone is hard-working and only trying the best. In the end the quality of their customer service is pretty bad, and injured workers started complaining about the bad service, but if they do not hire enough people, no one is able to do a great job any more.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to change and improve work conditions in general. You do not have enough staff and the caseloads are way too high. You will never reach a high quality customer service and high satisfaction among injured workers and your own employees, if those work conditions do not improve. You have to start appreciating people instead of pushing them to their limits and beyond. Offer higher salaries, as the money you can earn for THIS hard work is also not worth the efforts.

Worst Job I Ever Had...

Unit Manager, Workers' Compensation (Former Employee) Lake Mary, FL

ProsNice office building in Lake Mary. Nice co-workers, all in the same boat as me.

ConsLong hours (averaged 60 hours a week), insane pressure, completely clueless leadership absolutely devoid of scruples or management skills. Despite a ridiculous amount of turnover nationwide, upper management is still convinced all of the issues with the company are the result of bad staffing, not their complete ineptitude. Workers' comp offices are understaffed, adjusters have no support, claims systems are a pathetic joke. Client instructions are convoluted, badly documented, and difficult for adjusters to adhere to properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. Look at how successful companies are operating -- clerical and case management support for the adjusters, EDI processes handled by the claims systems with dedicated support, managers empowered to do their jobs. Recognize that there are serious structural issues within this company and quit blaming the front line personnel for the disarray in the company.

Worked very long hours under extreme pressure.

Benefit Coordinator (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsThey have decent benefits and liberal paid time off.

ConsExpected to work in unpleasant environment. Management unsympathetic to employee needs and concerns.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to be aware of the hostile working environment. The turnover this past year alone tells is sufficient to illustrate the point that major changes must be made in order to attract qualified personnel. This is the most unpleasant job that I have ever had.

Change

Pros- Growing fast and in the right product lines
    - Lots of smart hard working people
    - great benefits

Cons- case loads for adjusters here and at competition going up
    - If you don't like change you are at the wrong place

Advice to Senior Managementstrengthen the office manager tier of management. Great ideas at the top, great work ethic at the bottom and sometimes get lost in the middle.

Upper Management has no clue what it is like to work here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive salary, some really good people there, that's all

ConsInconsistent company policies.The client carrier instructions for each client are out dated, incomplete, and or inaccurate. York employees at the handling and supervisor level are the scapegoats when client carriers complain, yet when requests and suggestions are sent to the middle management, on the occasions where feed back is requested, answers are either a nonexistent or requests declined. So no effective changes occur. A member of upper management from Home Office came in to talk to us about the company and how they are excited about growth and they know where changes need to be made, etc. I wanted to know what company was this person talking about, because I wanted to put my application in. All ideas for change comes from upper management; those who have no working knowledge of where and what the issues are, so nothing improves. The end result is "No changes" and a status that your job "is what it is." The work load is oppressive. When someone quits, or a carrier complains and demands a change in the handler, the work load gets piled on to someone else, who is already overloaded and so the loads just get shifted around. This is the routine. York middle management does this instead of fixing the root problems that adversely affect production. Handlers are expected to score 95% or better in all areas, in each category, on all audits, and there are many audits. Also you must avoid complaints from clients, whether meritorious or not. If you can't handle that, move on.... It is sad because we should be partners with the clients, but it is not a partnership, it is all punitive and finger pointing. The pay is not that great when you factor in the hours you work trying to stay semi current and you just get more work piled on you for your effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementRein in the sales and marketing reps who make promises that can't be kept by the handlers due to under staffing, constant IT issues and turnover. Upper management needs to come down out of the ivory tower, quit playing the blame game, treat your lower level management with some respect and listen and act on what they need to do the job. Trash your "Dashboard" and gather some real data on staffing needs.

Great place to work

Vice President Sales SouthEast (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsStrong leadership team, great services that are needed in marketplace. York has all the tools for loss cost reduction on all lines of business.

ConsCan be confusing focus needs to be more defined on the type of customer that fits them. Like any company they are not and should not try to be all things to every company. There has to be a fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on type of accounts you are good at. Just because a company is large does not make them the right fit. Find the right customer with pain you can fix and show them what you can do drive losses down. Make the presentation about them not who you already have.

If you want to hate your life--take this job

Worker's Compensation Claims (Former Employee)

ProsMy coworkers and the community we created.

ConsAwful upper management. Continuously made promises they could not keep and would blow smoke up your bottom end because they could never give clear answers. If you're not with a specific account your claim counts are high and upper management comes down on you for that everyday. Get paid to work 8 hours a day but most go home and work to keep up with the workload. Never any recognition when you do a good job, only write ups when you can't keep up with the work. In my office alone there was a turnaround of 35 people in three years. The office max amount of people in it at one time is 14. I don't understand how a company can expect to be successful when they can't keep employees happy. The day that an employee with York ever says "I love my job", would be the day I dropped dead.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and focus on your employees. They're what is keeping the company alive. Start giving recognition and provide an actual training program and not throw employees into a position that is already set up for failure.

Worked for York Risk Services Group? Contribute to the Community!