York Risk Services Group

Working 3+ Years @ York

Current Employee - Adjuster in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Adjuster in New York, NY

I have been working at York Risk Services Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

tough industry with high demands. If you work hard, and view a big picture there are advancement tracks. you need to speak-up and let your supervisor know the path you would like to take. If you perform and work, there are paths that you can take.

Cons

Claims industry in general can wear you down, there are long hours and high demands that are not always able to be accomplished. No one calls the insurance company unless something happens. in general its a negative environment, so if you're not a positive minded individual or have thin skin, this industry may not be for you.

don't forget where you came from. Sometimes the people on the front line need to have positive re-reinforcement as claims are usually a thankless job.

Good place to work but a bit unorganized

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at York Risk Services Group

Pros

Flexible directors. Pay is average for the workload.

Cons

No effort to help employees grow or advance in career. Not a lot of reward for going above and beyond. Company buying other companies so things are mess at the moment. Company needs more focus on employees.

Focus on your great employees and help the grow. Greater employees, greater company.

It's not the same

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

I have been working at York Risk Services Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's almost like there are two companies here. We have experienced adjusters who want things to be the same as they have always been, in a changing industry, and really strong proactive ones who came here (or jump to another adjuster) for higher pay. Only about half the people are adjusters and the rest are in other areas related to insurance and have a much happier perspective.

Compensation and benefits are above average but work-life balance is tough

The company seems to be willing to try different things, some of which work and some of which don't. I joined via a company that was bought. Nothing was changing and we were slowly dying. It's hard sometimes to do things differently.

Company is growing fast

Cons

We treat the customer like they are always right, but sometimes the customer is unreasonable. We should be willing to walk away from customers that don't treat us with respect. There are only a few like that but they stand out and every one knows about them.

I don't think anyone has ever been fired for incompetence and some people need to be.

speak to people more, offer more training

York RSG

I have been working at York Risk Services Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Culture established and followed

Cons

None that I can think of.

I worked at York Risk Services Group full-time

Pros

The company had a code of ethics in place for their employees to practice in interacting with clients. However, this code of ethics was not being utilized by management in regard to their own employees at the site where I was working in Dublin, Ohio. Immature leadership and the absence of leadership from the president of Frank Gates, an Ohio based worker's comp company, led to unfavorable work conditions including low morale and distrust.

Cons

The supervisor I had did not have skills to manage others. She wasted time having secret meetings with select people. She thought she had to play hard ball with everyone all of the time to get them to perform. She completely overlooked the value of positive reinforcement. She did not understand the attributes of the people she was supervising and how to manage according to their needs. This caused many employees to leave.

Your management team structure was complex. However, the communication needed to move a company forward requires more development at the site level. Make the site level managers accountable. It takes more than a nice looking organizational chart to run a company.

From a Field Agent Prospective.......

Current Employee - Field Inspector
    Current Employee - Field Inspector

I have been working at York Risk Services Group as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Doing Commercial Inspections should be the most rewarding but....

Cons

Office is very unresponsive to several tech issues and forms are so boilerplate they often have nothing to do with the property! Big time wasters! Prices for inspections are all over the board and mileage fees .....??? They've even added report forms after the inspection has been done! Rapid sketch...Really???

Train your managers to handle ALL field problems including your awful internet system. Staff MUST be responsive. We travelers are WAY to pushed to have to deal with snaggs in your system.

York is a good company but the client managed out of Pasadena is archaic.

Current Employee - Senior Claims Examiner in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Examiner in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at York Risk Services Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

*Free coffee
    *Good Benefits
    *High Pay
    *Approachable Management
    *Alternative Work Schedule
    *Friendly co-workers with a reasonable corporate culture

Cons

*The client
    *200+ Inventory with a 1980's file management system
    *Unrealistic expectations from client
    *CYA culture from the client with no support to claims staff

The client is demanding modern claims management practices with a 1980's style paper file as system. This is why everyone is backed up and your penalties are piling up. It takes 10 minutes to review the file and pull the paper file, an hour or two to receive the file and when receive the file you have to put whatever your working on aside to pick up where you left off. It's an unworkable system. In the end you'll end up paying the client to manage their files.

Hire more adjusters for a 150 to 1 ratio or pay it out in penalties and excess cost. Then allow another TPA the pleasure of paying this client for their racket when your contact expires.

As far as the company goes York is a good company but the client managed out of the Pasadena office is archaic and unreasonable.

Claims are claims, this is the industry we are in - negativity

Current Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Roseville, CA

I have been working at York Risk Services Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative, great claims system, truly paperless, benefits are decent, growth opportunities and fair compensation. They got rid of the crazy lady over EIA (Karen Callahan).

Cons

System goes down. Grew too quickly, consider opening other offices instead of cramming multiple into one building. Some mormons are still roaming.

Too many VP's, heavy on management, president is awesome, really down to earth. New bald headed guy is clueless and should have been in sales. Reevaluate caseloads considering workload.

Company not great, not a lot of opportunity for growth, immature supervisors, general lack of communication

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at York Risk Services Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work/Life balance is OK, not much else though. Not much room for growth, I worked there for a year and a half and never even received a cost of living raise.

Cons

The office décor is kind of run down, bathrooms are downright disgusting. Management is mediocre at best, a bunch of young managers who don't really much care about the departments underneath of them. A President and CFO who are practically never in the office. The managers underneath them do as little as possible with the exception of one or two who absolutely pick up the slack. The supervisors under them are not professional and should not be in their positions. Most of them are too young or lack the actual experience to be in their positions. Then blame the people under them for their lack of supervision and then let the people underneath of them go rather than fix the problems and try to have a working cohesive department. In my opinion, the company's problems are on the whole rather than just one specific department or person beginning from the President who is only in the office 3 or 4 days a month.

My advice to upper management is to have proper training for the people coming into the company, also for the company supervisors to be properly trained in how to handle their direct reports. I saw a supervisor in this company smack an employee on the back of the head or back more than once, when a dissatisfactory job was done. Nothing is done to disrespectful supervisors in this company, only to the people beneath them. This is not a company that anyone who is looking for a professional working environment should ever want to work for.

Quiet place to end your career

Current Employee - Adjuster in East Meadow, NY
    Current Employee - Adjuster in East Meadow, NY

I have been working at York Risk Services Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers
    Regular treats from vendors
    Generally peaceful office
    Part-time employment opportunities

Cons

One hour of training provided to new employees and the training only covers the claims system
    Performance bonuses not paid on time if at all
    Excessively high caseloads by the company's own standards due to understaffing
    Regular claim system/IT issues hinder productivity
    Human resources department is overwhelmed and requires weeks to process basic requests

More training and development
    Follow through on office protocols and initiatives