York Telecom Corporation

Good Pay, Adequate Benefits

Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Columbus, OH

I have been working at York Telecom Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company, at least locally, provides an excellent salary. For what we do, I think our staff is paid a higher than usual hourly/salary rate than the rest of the industry.

Cons

Working at a remote location (relative to the Company's home office) might color some of this a little more darkly than otherwise. However, we received little to know contact from the home office and we definitely do not feel like we are part of the company.

Also, the options for health insurance are not the most favorable. While you pay a smaller premium than you would if you were purchasing insurance on your own, the premiums are still pretty high for all but those earning at least 1.5x national median salary. If my wife did not have excellent health insurance at her workplace, I might not have taken the position with Yorktel.

Finally, I find the company contributions to our 401k to be a bit lower than most other companies. Yorktel (at least for us) only pays $0.50 per $1 employees contribute up to 5%. That is the lowest I've seen in my adult working life...but I might be more lucky than most.

It would be nice to see additional money put towards helping employees to better their education.

Yorktel goes through employees like water! They lied to their employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at York Telecom Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

On site employees form tight team, problem solve and support themselves. Lack of attention from corporate office is a good thing, the less interference, the better!

Cons

Corporate office is clueless as to what happens to "on site accounts", and is worthless when it comes to any kind of support.
    Example; A**** account in thousand oaks, employees mutinied against ops manager because of complete lack of people skills or management training. It took 6 months to hire a new manager, he was immediately setup for failure, he was "trained" (or lack there of) by previous ops. manager who withheld information and refused to show up for training meetings.
    York then brought in a "temp" program manger out of retirement from N.J. after the original P.M. had to resign due to serious personal issues.
    The "temp" proceeded to intimidate, bully, lie and alienate any and all employees he deemed too "outspoken", he completely cut off and castrated the new ops manager, he removed him from any decision making and authority.
    The temp P.M. mentioned in public he was hoping to get a good result from his work on the A**** account so he could get back in the good graces of the corporate office and land a permanent position. From day 1, it was clear his agenda was his own self promotion.
    He also stated month after month during meetings that "under the new phase II contract with A**** , there won't be any staffing changes, only our roles will change" (direct quote!).
    As soon as he went back to N.J, without warning. corporate dictated they laid off 4 specific employees by name, one of which was on leave due to a workers comp claim!! This was done under the guise of the new "phase II" contract. Employees were told the decision was based on seniority, but, 2 employees that were laid off had been there longer than 2 that were kept, so that was another lie!
    The current and new ops manager had to fight like hell with HR just to get the terminated employees 2 weeks severance pay.
    Bottom line; this is a company that does not care, is completely disconnected from it's employees and the consequences of it's actions towards them.
    You do not want to work for this company!

Too late!!
    They have not shown, or been able to prove their value to the contractor (A**** ), it's only a matter of time before they are dumped for another contractor or A**** takes what's left of the on-site team on board as it's own employees.....

Yorktel is a federal contact company for Social Security Administration

Current Employee - Baltimore  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Baltimore in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at York Telecom Corporation full-time

Pros

Contact at Social Security Administration which is a nice agency to work for.
    Good benefits.

Cons

Low pay
    Disorganized
    No growth opportunities
    Poor management communication

Please educate on roles of employees. Just try to care about people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun and challenging with opportunities for intelligent people

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at York Telecom Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Small company makes it easy to shine if you are a top-performer. Company is focused on the telecom technology and equipment side of the business, and is well-versed in providing high-quality video-teleconferencing solutions. Excellent core group of project managers result in on-time and on-budget project completion.

Cons

Small company make it easy to get overwhelmed with tasks due to understaffing. Senior management can similarly get mired in indecision because there is not enough staff to complete all tasks with the high quality that the company and customers desire.

Need to focus a bit more on HR and weeding out poor performers and having the proper number of people to do the jobs right.

Contract Events Coordinator/Planner for the B28 Auditorium & Conference Center.

Former Employee - Contract Events Coordinator for Amgen Pharmaceuticals  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Contract Events Coordinator for Amgen Pharmaceuticals in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at York Telecom Corporation as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the fast paced environment and knowing our efforts made a huge difference in the quality of life for so many patients.

Cons

Ad hoc changes were sometimes a bit unnerving in the fast paced and very busy B28 Auditorium and Conference Center.

The events I coordinated were often very popular and there wasn't always enough overflow rooms. It wasn't fun turning people away! I hate to see anyone disappointed.

Provide comp time for overtime worked if compensation for overtime for additional events goes beyond spec budget.

Mixed feelings

I worked at York Telecom Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

York does things mostly right with some quality decision making. There are a few extremely talented people in a few select positions.

The manager that I had is not a micro-manager so employees do have room to make decisions that are best for the client and company within the realm of what we are allowed to do. Not a lot of paperwork either: just do your job and you wont get a lot of bother.

Benefits are okay, the 401k is excellent, dental is okay, medical is lower-average, but not the worst. Excellent work life balance.

Minimal supervision for personnel which makes it easy to take care of self and client without a lot of paperwork or hassle. Reasonable procedures overall. Some departments are extremely well run.

Cons

The management that I reported to was the polar opposite of an effective leader. Never once heard this York manager say a good thing about any subordinate. The manager gets no respect from their direct reports and everyone ignores directives since there is no followup or accountability anyways. The management that I had did not want to hear anything from subordinates, which made no sense since we are supposed to report client complaints and experiences to the very people who do not want to hear it.

Have seen some irrational "cost saving" decisions that are so flagrantly awful that I cannot understand why the client puts up with the solutions that are provided.

Suggest sending middle management to management training. A significant percent of what is published about effective management is the opposite of what was happening while I was there.

Treating people well is the cheapest form of motivation. Abusing employees does not inspire them to do better for you.

Do not shut off the voice of your staff. When you cease to hear your employees: you cease to hear your client since your employee is how your client might choose to communicate with you.

Here is what should scare you most. Even while I was working there I was thinking that I would not do business with this company.

Out In The Field

I worked at York Telecom Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Yorktel handles outsourced video solutions for companies at customer prem. This means minimal Yorktel interface. Sometimes it feels like I work for a temp agency on a long term assignment, rather than feeling like an actual employee.

Cons

Less Yorktel interface equals zero loyalty to Yorktel, especially since the pay is fair to middling. Also, the health benefits don't match that of larger companies and are cumbersome outside of New Jersey.

Has potential for great, but not bad.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at York Telecom Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some benefits are very good. Some decisions are well made. Some managers are good, some are awful.

There is a substantial amount of talent in this company, a number of very talented people who know how to get things done.

This company does far more right than wrong, and comes close to excellence, but manages to stop just short.

Roles and duties for employees and managers are very specialized and specific of course the advantage is a limited amount of responsibility and accountability and personal focus on excellence in a target area that is quite manageable.

Cons

Management seems disconnected, the performance metrics are absurdly inaccurate, resulting in a constant state of change of leadership. There is a high churn rate (at least once per year) in management as managers are responsible but not allowed to implement real improvements or changes.

There are no bonuses or incentives, and positive recognition is non-existent (all stick, no carrot).
    Being here: pigeon holed into a small and specific role: we tend to lose cutting edge skill and experience versus a broader experience at a smaller company. It can be tedious or lack challenge with such a small area of responsibility.

Organize, improve by using the amazing talent pool that you have.
    There is also wisdom from the bottom up, not just the top down.
    Some of those people have worked in competitors and know better ways of doing things.

Reward the right people by using accurate measurable and specific performance metrics, give them incentive and opportunities.
    People are what build a company, it is less costly to retain talent than to retrain or replace them because the top talent are the ones who use York as a step while the mediocre will stay even in less than favorable situations.

We do things so well for the core portions of the business but there are those 5% details that management stubbornly refuses to consider addressing.
    Imagine the world's best car with a key that does not work?
    How can anyone experience the pleasure of driving it when we cannot even get into the vehicle, much less start it?

Do not work for this company!

Former Employee - Federal Contractor  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Federal Contractor in Baltimore, MD

I worked at York Telecom Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have nothing positive to say about this company.

Cons

Under paid, overworked, no raise, no support from management.

Fire everyone and start over.

Greater experience starter

I have been working at York Telecom Corporation

Pros

The benefits are good, can almost say great.
    Travel is usually paid for; great opportunities to explore places.
    Laid back atmosphere (at customer site, as a contractor).

Cons

As a contractor, there is almost no chance of advancement.
    Pay is not up to par with living costs of the area.

Bonuses might make employees happier.

Worked for York Telecom Corporation? Contribute to the Community!