Yorkshire Building Society

Updated September 16, 2014
2.3

Iain C. A. Cornish

Business Analyst

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Local, honest, community driven, financial

Cons

micro management, inflexible, old school

Think of the little man. They keep the business ticking over.

Lack of talented and motivated staff. Weak Management

Former Employee - Accounts Manager in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good location in the centre of Bradford city centre for the headquarters. Nice office and coffee machines etc. However, not much more besides to brag about unfortunately.

Cons

Severe lack of talent. I've worked at other financial institutions, but the staff at Yorkshire Building Society are casual and care-free. Many of them have been there for years and are just in their jobs because they are part of the furniture. I worked in the complaints department and customers were treated terribly.

Have more consideration for customers. Your process mean nothing when customers are often treated horrendously. Your regular IT issues make life hell for both staff and savers.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic people, really friendly and you do feel that you work for a mutual. Definitlley being a building society is a big plus, and really proud of the business for coming through the financial crisis stronger than most.

Cons

Work load really high due to sucesssion of mergers and sometimes you feel like your chasing your tail and not making headway. This causes frustration across the business. Fragmented communication can be an issue not just trying to work cross functionally but also within my department. A lot of change is taking place which does mean that things are slightly unsure, I am trusting the business to do the right thing as they haven't let me down as yet.

The business needs to be structured in a way that allows staff to make a difference and offer the best for our customer.

They used to be fair and fun, but the new management are too big for their boots

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society

Pros

Reasonable salaries and benefits.
    Nice coffee in the canteen.

Cons

Crap location, miles out of town, with nothing to do at lunchtime. OK if you travel to work via the motorway (M62), but not if you have to drive home via Bradford centre.

Listen to your staff, and stop growing so fast. All the fun is disappearing as acquisition after acquisition is chased. It's not fun to work there any more.

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time

(Translated from English)

Pros

Le programme de stage vous prépare aux examens du CIMA

Trainee programme takes you through CIMA exams

Cons

Une fois le programme du CIMA terminé (environ trois ans), le salaire n'est que de 29 000 £

Upon completion of CIMA programme (roughly 3 years) the salary will only be £29,000

Augmentez le salaire de base pour attirer les meilleurs employés

Increase the base pay being offered to attract the best employees