Young Champions USA

Add Photos

Awesome, could use help

Instructor (Current Employee)
    West Covina, CA

ProsGreat opportunity for any instructor, lots of learning to do, interview was pretty simple. Great work life balance as you pick your hours and locations.

ConsYou are on your own, so get used to it quick and find parent helpers or you are not going to make it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new instructors some more help.

I'm convinced this is a pyramid scheme

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe kids really enjoy the program and the prices are (mostly) low for the parents

ConsThe parents are hit with all these hidden fees. You HAVE to buy the (very cheaply made) art kit for $25 when its $7.50 at A.C. Moore. If the child wants to be evaluated (which is a joke because I was told that everyone passes), they have to pay AGAIN to have them get an award.. and you're the sucker who has to ask them for the money.

Another big con is having to go to the post office after every class. You have to get a money order for the cash you receive and then send the envelope first class mail.. They are suppose to reimburse you for the money but its ALWAYS off ...very irritating

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked here for about 8 months and I received no guidance. I wouldn't know if I was doing something wrong or right. you are completely independent. My advice would be to actually train the people you hire instead of leaving them to their own devices... my first day of class I was alone with 30 kids and no curriculum. I was told I would be getting lesson plans but that never happened (not shocking..)

Great for kids & families. Horrible company to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCost efficient option for busy parents, opportunity to earn commission

ConsInsufficient pay (and ALWAYS incorrect), too much outside work

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the cost of evaluations part of the enrollment fee. The tears that would come out on evaluation day and award day were heartbreaking. So many parents would forget, or not come, or not have enough $$$ on them that day and in the end girls who worked hard all season were getting penalized. This resulted in low return rate and last-minute competition drop outs.

The cheer program is so slow in progression. I lost a lot of girls to nearby all-star programs. Also a suggestion is to not have new programs do competition their first session. It is too much for he girls, especially the young ones, to learn cheer moves and a competition routine all at once. Would rather spend that first session learning cheer basics and go to competition the following session.

Also, please consider paying your employees to compensate their time OUTSIDE of practice. The paperwork, frequent trips to the post office, and time spent creating routines made the whole job not worth it.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Art program needs serious work...

Art Instructor (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with the kids and parents is amazing. Teaching art when it is being cut from the schools is a great experience.

ConsUntil recently, I taught in the new visual art program.

The kids are low on the company's priority list, despite their advertisement of being there for their students. This is not acceptable.

Pay is low for teachers who are expected to do a lot- if you are new to teaching, expect no support despite promises.

Complete lack of organization. Despite best efforts as a teacher you can drown under the disorganization of the office you report to. Lesson plans need a lot of re-working and materials need serious re-consideration.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest that YC hire someone who knows what they're doing to kickstart the art program. Paring down paperwork expectations for teachers and parents will also make things more reasonable. Invest in fewer materials of better quality. Doesn't have to be amazing. Have commitment to your teachers and don't promise what you won't follow through with. And please put the kids first in your decisions regarding class cancellations, etc. They are the ones most affected by your lack of professionalism.

Great staff..they work for a great cause and very easy to communicate with. Loved working with the organization.

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
    Santa Ana, CA

ProsBenefit the lives of young children by offering affordable and exciting programs.

Great opportunities to grow with the firm.

Great staff makes working an enjoyable and fun experience.

ConsNot enough interpersonal interaction with the children you are helping everyday by going to work. But thank you letters from students and parents let you know the work you do is much appreciated!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working hard to better the lives of children and young teens by offering such great and afforadble programs to our communities.

Low wages, poor communication skills by senior management

Santa Ana, CA

ProsWorking with kids and teaching dance and cheerleading

ConsLow wages, poorly ran business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to give feedback to employees and respect the time and effort they put into the company.

Worked for Young Champions USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Young Champions USA reviews and ratings. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Young Champions USA employees.