Young Living Essential Oils

D. Gary Young

Employee with Young Living

Current Employee - U S Sales Support (Leadership) in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - U S Sales Support (Leadership) in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Young Living Essential Oils full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Room to grow to higher positions, great benefits, good pay.

Cons

Poor Communication through out the company, Poor Communication to distributors for the company.

Call Center Management is pretty clueless and shuffles around. Unable to attract and retain true talent

Former Employee - Anonymous Member Services Employee
    Former Employee - Anonymous Member Services Employee

I worked at Young Living Essential Oils full-time

Pros

Free and discounted product (when it was actually available, which was was rare). Bonuses! Good priced benefits, good 401k match. Growing business. There are a few really good employees.

Cons

Management literally has no idea what they are doing. Call Center Management specifically gets shuffled around every 6-12 months. The good senior leaders were laid off and the good leaders who were left quit the company. Since then they seem to bring in more and more incompetent management and building even more unnecessary levels or hierarchy. The business is growing which is good but the incompetence gets in the way of keeping up with the growth even though it can be seen coming. Most employees in the call center are entitled and refuse to be held accountable, its a free for all.

Bring in people with a solid base and proven track record, not leaders from other local MLM's and local Outsourcers. Reign in the CEO and how he puts the company at risk with his exaggerated declarations of what the products can do.

Perspectives of a new comer

Current Employee - Indepdent Distributor in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Indepdent Distributor in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Young Living Essential Oils as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

This is a wonderful opportunity for someone with great customer service skills and the love of alternative medicines

Cons

Need to have plenty of time to dedicate to achieve the goal needed to make a more satisfaction income

Worst people ever.

Current Employee - Independent Distributor
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor

I have been working at Young Living Essential Oils part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing. There is absolutely nothing good about young living. Maybe the quality of their oils, but even that is questionable.

Cons

They are awful and they don't want to help you. Any questions you might have about getting your business started through them won't get answered, completely disorganized, horrible customer service, they actually just don't care about the customers at all. If you're thinking about being a distributor you should just walk away now.

Try a little bit harder to run a better business.

Former YL Warehouse Employee says "A person should always know why he's been terminated."

Former Employee - Warehouse in Spanish Fork, UT
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Spanish Fork, UT

I worked at Young Living Essential Oils full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some supervisors are friendly, understanding and helpful. The environment is fast-paced and there is some variety in assignments to keep the monotony in check.

Cons

The break room is inexplicably hot and humid in the summer which wouldn't be such a problem were it not for the mosquito infestation keeping everyone indoors. Those are minor annoyances however. One major problem from an employee's perspective has to do with feedback and accountability. After about two weeks of employment I received a call from the staffing agency contracted with YL advising me not to bother showing up for work that day. When I asked why I was only told that I "had failed to meet the company's performance expectations". I still don't know how I failed them. I believed that I was doing well and would have been willing to make whatever corrections were required, but nobody ever made expectations clear or let me know how I was falling short of them. This is no way to treat your people.

New employees should be given a clear picture of expectations and a chance to correct performance shortcomings before being given up on. A person should always know why he's being terminated.

Constantly changing environment, but lots of opportunity for growth

I worked at Young Living Essential Oils full-time

Pros

Young Living is a booming company that has really taken off the last year or two. There are fantastic benefits, great insurance, flexible paid time off, and a company that is really invested in the health of it's employees. You get plenty of chances to try products for free and things are improving more and more each day at the corporate office.

Cons

As is pretty custom in the network marketing industry, there is a lot of change and a lot of turnover in the executive ranks as well as directors. That said, it has not hurt the company growth or success to this point. At times, the owners can seem very old-fashioned and it can feel like the closer you get to the top, the closer you get to the door. The only other con is that, as is usual in the network marketing industry, pay is lower than you would expect.

Listening to top members is important, but it should not be done without consulting corporate employees as well. It seems that decisions are made without balanced input from employees and members at times.

Farm employees treated poorly

I have been working at Young Living Essential Oils

Pros

The lavender farm is near the community I live in.

Cons

New farm management brought in on a nearly yearly basis because the owner fires people often. So, direction is frequently changing as are farming procedures. Pay was cut this year by $2 an hour for those that work in the fields doing the hardest job: hoeing the weeds out of the lavender and other herbs. No overtime pay or benefits for these seasonal employes who work 10 hour days in the sun. Paychecks are frequently shorted, even with new system for payroll. New management didn't hire anyone to weed the fields thus year until the third week of June when the weeds were already several feet tall and out if control. Upper managements response? Fire the guys hiring the fields.

Take care of those employees that ensure you have a product to bring to market. Hire farm managers that actually know how to farm. Keep the executives in suits out of the farming end if it. Cutting costs on the farming end of it ensures that your products nd the quality of it, the very thing that ensures you have a business, will suffer.
    Also, start fostering a relationship in the communities where your farms are located. Hire people who live in those communities and treat them well. This company has been doing the opposite for a decade and then wondering why the community doesn't like them or buy their products and attend their events.

The oils are life changing!

Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Weatherford, OK
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Weatherford, OK

I have been working at Young Living Essential Oils as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Seed to seal guarantee, excellent customer service, top of the line products, ER program, free products, amazing business opportunities.

Cons

Long waits in live chat and the current growing pains with all the new growth but hopefully all that will settle soon!

Keep up the good work!

Amazing Company

Current Employee - Independent Member
    Current Employee - Independent Member

I have been working at Young Living Essential Oils full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can count on the quality of the product. You know they are always looking to insure they have the absolute BEST product for the consumer. Since Young Living owns the farms and also is adamant about watching the distilling process of the oils, there really aren't any other products like this on the market. Once people start using these products, very few stop.

Cons

Our growth has been so fast and furious that the company has had a hard time keeping up. They are putting many things in place and are planning for even bigger growth in the future.

Keep doing what you are doing! I love the changes I've seen over the past year, the additional communications to the members, as well as the growth plan you have in place. Stick to your guns on quality products! These are NOT expensive! Being able to use these "one drop at a time" makes them so inexpensive! Thank you for all of your hard work!!

Fantastic opportunity to make a substantial difference in people's lives

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Young Living Essential Oils (more than an year)

Pros

Product is remarkable and makes a substantial difference in people's lives, co-workers are knowledgeable, collaborative, supportive, and foster a team environment. Young Living is on the cutting edge of the essential oils market.

Cons

Sometimes beloved products are out of stock due to demand, and company is working through growing pains of demand exceeding twice the projections. That can be frustrating and stressful.

Young Living Essential Oils Photos