Young's Market

Young's Market Reviews

Updated Mar 3, 2014

Vern Underwood

Great Company

Wine Manager (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Young's Market full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOwners are heavily involved. The company has great culture and a lot of fun perks. Very motivating job and lets you do your job like you are running your own business.

ConsLifestyle job, projects never end, phone and email never stops. This also keeps the job interesting and fun as there is never a dull moment.

Some Great People, Some MicroManagers

I have been working at Young's Market

ProsHours, Flexibility, People, Industry, Perks

ConsMicroManage culture, Never good enough

Mixed bag....

I worked at Young's Market

ProsYou work on your own, and you can set your own daily schedule. If you are well organized and can manage yourself, this is a good position. These jobs seem to be popular with people fresh out of college, and Young's is one of the top names in the market. Free booze from time to time. An okay benefits package, and although the medical is pretty bad, it's better than nothing (slightly).

ConsNot much in the way of training; they pretty much just give you a binder full of brand statistics and send you on your way. The months of October, November and December are insane, expect to work a crazy amount of overtime. Lot's of lifting and building involved (again, you aren't trained on any of this, you're just expected to know how to build displays). Some of the people in leadership positions are intense to the point of being ridiculous; they like to motivate you by threatening your job. Even though it isn't spoken, obviously, you will be expected to put in time "off-the-clock" to do paperwork and whatever. You are also going to beat the holy living snot out of your car, so much so that the vehicle allowance won't seem adaquate. There are a lot of shady people in this business (not just at Young's, but everywhere) and the people who are willing to throw anybody and everybody under the bus move up really fast, so always watch your back. Seriously, grow some eyes on the back of your head.

Advice to Senior ManagementInspire more teamwork mentality instead of going for the "cutthroat" culture. More training, on everything, from sales to how to build displays. More support in the field, not just in "prime" locations. Work on communicating incentives with the producers, reps aren't wearing out their cars and driving buyers bonkers for their health. Go to bat for your employees and tell the producers to kick down some moolah, ya dig?

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Two very fun years in Mountain West States (UT ID MT WY)

I worked at Young's Market part-time

ProsExciting field, fun coworkers and work environment, opportunities for professional training and development

ConsMinor cons: Obvious sexism from senior management in promotion practices, finger pointing, lack of prep, lazy employees still pass evaluations

Advice to Senior ManagementUse your brain and not your D---

Started sober, now I'm an alcoholic.

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Young's Market full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's a pretty steady and comfortable job - at least when you're working in the office. I know they work the salespeople pretty hard, in terms of meeting numbers and goals. The benefits package is also really nice. It's one of the few companies that still offers a pension. I didn't even know I had one when I worked there until now that I'm receiving my statements. Also the Underwood sons are very friendly and nice guys. A good family to work for.

ConsIt's a very "boy's club" culture and it's hard to get ahead if you're not a part of the club. At least it was that way when I was there in the mid to late 2000's. Hopefully it has changed by now. The culture also promotes drinking heavily. I didn't drink when I started working for the company and I'm now a recovering alcoholic, so be careful and know what you're getting into!

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer your employees more than the standard 2% cost of living increases. The cost of living actually rises more than that each year! I worked for your company for many years and only saw my pay rise by 2% each year even though my employee review was nothing but stellar each year -- that just didn't seem fair to me.

Good solid company

Irvine, CA

I worked at Young's Market full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMeet new clients. Good coworkers, pay, and benefits

ConsLong hours no family time

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to all employees ideas

An excellent company that provides training and motivation to succeed.

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Sequim, WA

I worked at Young's Market full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat support by management. Great pay for someone who is willing to work and plan ahead. plenty of training and support from management and fellow employees. A real team approach to everything they do.

ConsNot a single one. I wish they were in the location I moved to!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. The things I learned here will allow me to succeed anywhere I go. Hopefully I can find the same All in attitude somewhere else or I'll bring it!

A financially stable Company to work for.

Orange, CA

I worked at Young's Market full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHas been in business as a privately held Company for a 125 years. Decent benefits package for those that qualify,

ConsConstant job/title reassignments from top to bottom. The ink doesn't have the time to dry on the Org. chart before the next set of changes are submitted for approval.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour long term Employees are usually your strongest asset. The answer is not always hire someone away from a competitor.

Great place for a job, but maybe not a career

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Union City, CA

I worked at Young's Market full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThis company gives you the opportunity to work with world renowned brands, and the good people that represent them. This is a great starting place for someone that wants to enter into the Wine and Spirits business world.

ConsIt’s a nice place to work if you are looking for a job. However, if you are looking for a career, be cautious. This is a wholesaler and the company does not own the brands that it sells. Many major suppliers have walked away from this company over the past ten years. If you want to work here, be ready for change and roll with it - continually.

Being one of the biggest in the business hardly makes you one of the best...

Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Young's Market full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent training, great people, and outstanding work/life balance. I loved working here for the initial five years, but after realizing it's a "good old boys" club...it's total doom and gloom from there regarding your career path.

ConsLowest paid in the industry, I believe. Micromanagement on completely immaterial issues. Focus on what's important: the selling and building of these brands. Use coach management mentality instead of trying to rule with an iron fist for no real reason other than to boost your own ego.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou never reward your loyal soldiers. Invest in your workforce who want to BE there and maybe everyone wouldn't try to jump ship to someone else.

Worked for Young's Market? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Young's Market reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Young's Market CEO Vern Underwood. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Young's Market employees.