Younkers

Be The First To
Add Photos

Seasonal work was ok

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Sheboygan, WI

ProsThe Employee discount is decent and the hours were better than average for a seasonal retail position. Coworkers were great to work with.

ConsComputer system is very old-school-not effective. An effective Training program would be very helpful for new hires. The current training for the sales floor is almost nonexistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining would go a long way with your managers as well as new hires.

Achieving sales goals was fulfilling, pressure to open credit cards was not.

Selling Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsEnjoyed the team experience. Developing relationships with frequent customers.

ConsRidiculously long hours at Thanksgiving and through the New Year. Pressure to open instant credits, sell coupon books.

Advice to Senior ManagementIs it really necessary to open on Thanksgiving Day?

Harassment needs to stop!

Cosmetic Sales Associate (Former Employee) West Des Moines, IA

ProsI liked the friends I made here.

Conswhenever there was a sale, there was a huge push for all associates to buy from it, make their family and friends buy from it, etc. not to mention the management was incredibly unprofessional, never did anything for their associates, just constantly yelled at us. And if you aren't very well liked by your peers, they will harass and push you out and gossip about you right in front of you!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

competitive

Sales (Current Employee) Green Bay, WI

Prosnot stressful, accommodating to families, flexible hours

Conscompetitive sales floor, plateau salary

Sales associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Green Bay, WI

ProsUmmm... I don't have twenty worlds to describe any pros

ConsAlmost all management needs a lesson or two on how to treat employees with a bit if respect and show a little gratitude

Advice to Senior ManagementAll of the above

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Gone Downhill

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Moline, IL

ProsGreat people to work with, the discount is nice.

ConsSalary is terrible and the merchandise is not great quality.

Yech!!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) West Des Moines, IA

ProsMy co-workers were a lot of fun to work with which allowed me to make a few friends.

ConsThe store manager was incredibly unprofessional and everyone, including her peers, hated her. Even customers who had been shopping at that location for years stopped because of her.

The unrealistic hours the store was open on the weekeends, not only hurt employee morale as there were NO CUSTOMERS (people in the midwest do NOT feel the need to go shopping for clothes at 10pm at night) it hurt sales as... believe it or not... there were NO CUSTOMERS. The Senior management within the corporate headquarters needs to get their heads out of their asses and realize that the shopping patterns of people on the east coast are NOT the same as thoes in the midwest.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to protect managers you KNOW are not good. I know that she was being protected from the amount of negativity, but within the store and within the customer base. If you want to maintain a positive reputation which includes your customer base, do not keep managers who create an incredibly bad cloud of negativity.

I just wish the management was better.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Holland, MI

ProsYou learn great customer service skills. It was always fun to interact with a variety of customers.

ConsI hate saying it, but the management was absolutely awful. Very inflexible schedule. Pay was low. Strict dress code.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know that the customer is first, but management still needs to listen to their employees. You cannot expect frustrated employees act happy with customers. I really wish management would see that the employees are not happy. Something needs to be done.

annoying

Cosmetics Manager (Former Employee) Eau Claire, WI

Prosdiscount on clothes and others

ConsSome of the managers were very unprofessional and untrained

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more professional in what you discuss in about your personal life.

Could be a great store if they got their crap together

ProsDecent benefits for full-timers. High standards for merchandise presentation. Great co-workers and most customers are very nice. Management empowers sales people to handle customer issues at their own discretion, eliminating uncomfortable confrontations with the customer. Good employee discount.

ConsToo much stress and work for what you get paid. I have worked in retail for years, and this company has the lowest pay raises I have ever seen. Employee evaluations put the most emphasis on opening credit accounts and collecting emails. Other skills are greatly undervalued. Inflexible scheduling. You have to request time off at least 30 days in advance. At holiday time, you can forget requesting any time at all. Too many coupons are confusing to both workers and customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that for most employees, this is supplemental income and you can't expect people to give up their personal lives for this job. Compensate people for the work they do. The low raises don't offer any incentive for people to even care how well they do at their job. Corporate needs to close the smaller stores that are not profitable and concentrate on the ones that are. Stop the extreme discounting! You are just training the consumer to be a discount shopper at the mall. You are flushing your profit potential down the drain and you are ruining what could be a great store.

Worked for Younkers? Contribute to the Community!