Younkers Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
CEO

Pros
  • the store provides a good employee discount (in 4 reviews)

• Great people to work with, the discount is nice (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Majority of positions are part time (in 3 reviews)

• not to mention the management was incredibly unprofessional, never did anything for their associates, just constantly yelled at us (in 2 reviews)

1. Great People, Great Management, Great possibility for advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Younkers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have always been the type to throw all of myself into everything that I do. Younkers and their management noticed this. I quickly moved up the ranks from associate to manager. The associated are great. The management is great.

Cons

Long holiday hours. Sometimes opening up at 6 a.m. Or closing at midnight. They're open on Thanksgiving at 6 p.m. With mandatory 10 Hour shifts.

Advice to Management

Great job noticing work ethic. Keep pushing for excellence in everything that you do. This place is great. Thank you.

2. Decent

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Marshfield, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Younkers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount is great. My coworkers were also very helpful. Scheduling was always very flexible and coworkers able to take shifts.

Cons

Too much work load for the pay. I was given several tasks that at other stores, would have been spread between many people.

Advice to Management

Be more appreciative.

3. Okay Working Environment

I worked at Younkers full-time

Pros

Some flexibility in schedule Employee discount when you first start is 20%, then goes up to 25% after one year. Can use discount with coupons.

Cons

Keep lengthening hours of operation. Started staying open until 10 and 11pm on Fridays and Saturdays. Have random sales where they open at 6am. Younkers is never that busy and there is no need to stay open that late, or open that early. Some people get away with certain things, while others don't. VERY PUSHY WITH SALES AND OPENING CREDIT CARDS.

Advice to Management

Stop staying open so late and opening so early, you are losing money. Focus on fair treatment and fair and reasonable goals.

5. Younkers

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sioux City, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sioux City, IA

Pros

Long breaks. Employee discount. Great coworkers.

Cons

A lot of busy work. Underapprecative employers. Minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation for your employees. If they ask for a transfer to another store because they are moving, actually call the store they want to transfer to. I had horrible experience with the HR manage lying to me about talking to the HR manager where I moved. I never even got my 60 day review. I was working at $7.25 for 7 months.

6. Sales

Pros

Great customers and employees fun place to work. Always changing responsibilities makes the day go by fast and fun

Cons

Working nights and sometimes hard customers

Advice to Management

Remember to always thank the associates We are doing everything for the store and the customers Management was great but always running

7. Younkers Sucks

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holland, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holland, MI

Pros

Some of the employees are nice people.

Cons

Horrible treatment of employees - mean spirited and not equal.

Advice to Management

Fire a number of managers.

8. Average Part-Time Work

I worked at Younkers part-time

Pros

Some very good managers that would help you to succeed

Cons

Very high pressure to produce for store credits

9. MANAGEMENT SUCKS!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

I worked at Younkers full-time

Pros

CUT_THROAT SALES TACTICS due to over taking a customer another associate has already been helping; IT DOESNT MATTER apparently.

Cons

Management SUCKS!! They show favoritism, and do nothing about employee complaints/suggestions on how to make the work environment better and employees more efficient.

Advice to Management

Work on your communication and interpersonal skills. Oh, and take a psychology class so that when BS comes your way, you can decipher lies from one associate to the truth in the other. It is no wonder you lose all of your sales associates every couple of months. What a joke!

10. Visual assistant

I worked at Younkers full-time

Pros

Really the main perk of this job are the benefits of you are in need of insurance. You will be provided with a 401k, health insurance, and vision if you choose to take it.

Cons

Not much room for creativity. Pay is less than satisfactory and it's difficult to survive on. They advertise the discount as being worth it but it's not a great discount either.

Advice to Management

If you can't pay your workers adequately, give them some other incentive to want to work for you. Don't gossip about your employees and communication is key.

11. Amazing-cosmetics

Current Employee - COSMETICS in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - COSMETICS in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Younkers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great scheduling. Great management. Great opportunities for advancement. Great benefits. My manager invests her time in me. I feel she truly cares and wants her team to get promoted.

Cons

There were not many cons. Retail hours are tough. Working holidays and some weekends is not ideal, but obviously, in retail, it is expected.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your sales teams. Recognising the future leaders in your buildings and continue to outline a clear career path.

RSS Feed </> Embed