Younkers Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.4

CEO

My department manager made my job great

Former Employee - Shoe Sales Associate  in  Traverse City, MI
    Former Employee - Shoe Sales Associate in Traverse City, MI

I worked at Younkers part-time for more than a year

Pros

The flexibility in scheduling was nice, in the event that I needed to pick up hours of have shifts covered. I worked specifically in the shoe department and my boss in that department made my job great.

Cons

pay wasn't great, there wasn't much room for growth & promotion within the job, but then again I wasn't really looking to do more. it was just a job to pay the bills through college.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Younkers part-time for more than a year

Pros

There are not very many pros

Cons

no training, managers treat you like you're dumb and customers treat you like you are less than human.

Actually train and value your employees

I was expected to know what to do without really being told how to do it correctly.

Former Employee - Morning Stocker  in  Mason City, IA
    Former Employee - Morning Stocker in Mason City, IA

I worked at Younkers part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hours did not change really.

Cons

Training was not very professional.

Hire younger workers for the dock job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Marquette, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Marquette, MI

I have been working at Younkers part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work. I am short hours. Just enough. Every one is friendly and treats you as an adult.

Cons

Majority of positions are part time. You have to stand the entire time you are on the floor. But as far as retail goes, very few negatives.

Keep up the good work. It is refreshing to work with management that is mature and treats it's staff with respect.

Management is all a bunch of catty women

Former Employee - Shoe Sales Associate  in  Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Shoe Sales Associate in Moline, IL

I worked at Younkers full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people in my neighboring departments because they would come help me when it got too busy and management was nowhere to be found.

Cons

Catty managers, no proper breaks, cheap cheap cheap! They would take light bulbs from the stockrooms to fix the ones out in the store for the customers. Screw us employees.

Stop being so self absorbed and actually listen to your employees. I loved my job but upper management made it impossible to stay. Those women are way too aggressive, and fake to boot.

Seasonal work was ok

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Sheboygan, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sheboygan, WI

I worked at Younkers part-time for less than a year

Pros

The Employee discount is decent and the hours were better than average for a seasonal retail position. Coworkers were great to work with.

Cons

Computer system is very old-school-not effective. An effective Training program would be very helpful for new hires. The current training for the sales floor is almost nonexistent.

Training would go a long way with your managers as well as new hires.

Could be a decent store, but ruined by its disingenuous selling practices

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Coralville, IA

I have been working at Younkers part-time for less than a year

Pros

-The other associates (with one exception) are kind people and fun to be around
    -One of the managers is very pleasant and easy to reason with about scheduling and any difficulties associates encounter
    -Associates get a 20% discount on all purchases, often in addition to coupons
    -Somewhat diverse array of responsibilities makes the time go by fast (mark downs, straightening, ringing up sales, helping customers find something, etc.)

Cons

Unfortunately, there is A LOT that I could write here.
    -Pay is too low
    -Sales goals are unrealistic; the store needs to realize that every person who walks through the door does not intend to buy something
    -CREDIT CARDS: customers do not want them, everyone knows they are not about "rewards" but rather making customers spend more, and it is unrealistic and bad service to push sales associates so hard to open them
    -Scheduled hours vary too much (one week you work almost 30 hours, and the next less than 10!)
    -One of the managers is just plain RUDE
    -The coupons and "sales": nothing is ever really on sale because everything is always listed as being cheaper than its supposed "full price," and the coupons are JUNK. The exclusions are so long and confusing that even sales associates struggle to determine on what merchandise they can be used

1) Stop pushing the credit cards. Customers do not want them, associates do not want to be that annoying person who nags customers about opening them, and they create a hostile environment.
    2) Tone down the coupons. People have become addicted and its about time that stores stop the madness.
    3) Tell it like it is. Just list the price. No "sale" signs and no purple pen prices off of which 40% or 60% or some unknown % will be taken. Tell it like it is.

A sinking skiff from a sinking ship.

Former Employee - Selling Supervisor  in  West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Selling Supervisor in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Younkers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wonderful coworkers, though they are jumping ship quickly. Dedicated customers, but they are jumping ship as well...

Cons

Terrible upper management, Unreasonable expectations at low pay with inadequate tools. It's an uphill fight you can't win.

You have to realize when to cut loose the people that are hurting you. If you have lost 15 employees, including 3 managers, in 2 months, reevaluate your strategies.

I feel un appreciated and completely "used" by this company

Current Employee - Shoe Sales Associate  in  Wausau, WI
    Current Employee - Shoe Sales Associate in Wausau, WI

I have been working at Younkers part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers are really friendly and discount is good.

Cons

The management is really poor and the company is only worried about themselves and not the good of their employees. They are not willing to keep the employees they are loyal. For example giving new hires more pay per hour then employees that have been loyal for years.

Stick up for the loyal employees they have and want/try to keep them there.

Achieving sales goals was fulfilling, pressure to open credit cards was not.

Former Employee - Selling Supervisor
    Former Employee - Selling Supervisor

I worked at Younkers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Enjoyed the team experience. Developing relationships with frequent customers.

Cons

Ridiculously long hours at Thanksgiving and through the New Year. Pressure to open instant credits, sell coupon books.

Is it really necessary to open on Thanksgiving Day?

Worked for Younkers? Contribute to the Community!