Youth Villages Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

2.7

Youth Villages CEO Patrick Lawler
Patrick Lawler

Pros
  • Youth Villages always works in the best interest of the children and families they serve (in 10 reviews)

• Our frontline staff and top leadership work extra hard to make a difference every day (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent and they blame you if you cannot make it better (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours, unrealistic expectations from managers, and poor work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyed working at YV

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

-helped kids overcome issues
    -positive work environment

Cons

-work/life balance
    - unrealistic paperwork goals

Long lasting career

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent match of personal values and company values, great opportunities for promotions

Cons

work schedule and salary advances

different

I have been working at Youth Villages

Pros

Great Place to work, challenge, room for advancement, friendly work environment

Cons

Pay, Salaries, less money ,not enough money,

N/a

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company... but sometimes you feel overworked and underpaid

Current Employee - Clinical Supervisor  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Clinical Supervisor in Miami, FL

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the families that you get to work with make you smile when you are able to see the progress that they have made. Lots and Lots of training. This company wants to make sure that you know what your doing while your out in the community working with families. Company also pays for your licensure, and school if your willing to stay with them for a minimum of 2 years after completion. Supervisors go above and beyond to help out when they can and they are not being overworked.

Cons

Leadership seems cliquey, and often states that they want to be transparent, but display the exact opposite. Although there are step increases offered depending on which location your work at, office politics sometimes makes them not even seem worth it. You are at times expected to perform at a level that you cannot manage or maintain long term due to the amount of paperwork and the long drive times. Doesn't seem like the Supervisors get much support from upper management. Things happen often in a disorganized manner which adds to the high turn-over. Seems like at least 2-4 people are leaving a month out of a significantly small office, which causes the case loads of those left to increase.

You should consistently check in with your lower level staff (ie. Specialists, Clinical Liaisons, and Clinical Supervisors) anonymously so that they can share what is "really" going on in some of the offices where there is not as much visible upper management, without feeling as if they will be punished.

I love working at Youth Villages

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The organization is highly invested in providing the best treatment programs for youth and families. The staff and leadership I have come to know are genuine and caring and hard working. Our frontline staff and top leadership work extra hard to make a difference every day. This is so much more than a job and a paycheck (this is definitely NOT the place to work if money is your motivation). There are opportunities for promotion from within when staff show dedication, hard work and some patience. I couldn't imagine being happier at another organization -- even if I got paid more. Benefits at Youth Villages are very good in my opinion.

Cons

Working for a nonprofit in the social services field, it's highly likely you will not get paid generously and that you'll work long hours. This may cause you to question your choices and get angry with your employer. That's why it's important to be realistic and honest with yourself and others about your pay and work expectations before you get your degree in social work or apply for a job at Youth Villages. Making a difference for people with serious emotional and behavioral issues must be your passion for you to excel in this field and at Youth Villages, and for you to be happy with your choices. Working in direct care can be exhausting on every level. Work hours are irregular and long. Children and families aren't always easy to work with. It takes dedication and a sense of mission. These are not "cons" but things to be aware of and to consider before you make a career choice.

Try whatever possible to continue to make frontline jobs more manageable for staff and provide incentives for them to turn their job into a long-term career. Dedicated long-term staff are such an inspiration and make our work culture what it is. Please do what you can to prevent increases of our healthcare deductible.

Over-worked

Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was easy to move up if you are always on top of your paperwork and be a positive person, while at work anyways.

Cons

Very high demand of job responsibilities. Doesn't really care about your work/life balance. For the amount of hours I was working and being on-call over the weekends, I wasn't paid enough. Not much support from my regional manager either.

Regional manager didn't have good people skills and didn't care about you having a life outside of work. Management above the regional manager were much better.

Very stressful

Current Employee - Residential Counselor  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rewarding if you are able to change a child's life.

Cons

Their pay sucks. The job is stressful when it does not have to be.

Influencing the Future

Current Employee - Regional Supervisor  in  Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Regional Supervisor in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have the opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of children and their families. We each work hard to foster positive changes as we believe everyone deserves a chance to have the best life possible. I appreciate the flexibility allowed to ensure my family is taken care of when challenges arise. I work with great group of people and appreciate the opportunities for advancement. It is simply rewarding every time a family is successful. It is the best feeling when a child is successful and is given a chance. This is what we do!

Cons

This job is simply not for everyone. There are a lot of requirements to ensure success. However, we do whatever it takes. We work hard but take time to play when we can to ensure we give our all to each and every child and family. The long hours can be taxing but the end results make it all worthwhile.

Good experience with the youth, but the bottom line is manifestly apparent.

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are looking at a career in counseling or social work, the front line experience that you get with the youth is fantastic, and you can carry that with you for the rest of your career. Also, the kids can be pretty great sometimes.

Cons

The bottom line - $$$ - is incredibly apparent working with this company. Even a little bit more money invested in the kids and the staff who work with them, rather than in promoting the image of the company, could go such a long way. For instance, putting money into actually nutritious food or fully functioning fitness or rec equipment, rather than a whole new fleet of vans. Or hiring adequate staff to allow for the best care for the kids. And then because staffing is so poor, staff are expected to work overtime, made to feel guilty for using the little bit of vacation time they get, and burn out incredibly quickly. This, combined with the minimal effort put into training staff, can often lead to dangerous, though avoidable situations. The money is there, it is just not used the right way. And finally, the cronyism in this company leads to terribly unqualified people making it into management positions at an alarming rate.

Invest some more money and time in hiring and training staff. These are the people with whom the youth spend the majority of their time, and you will get better results with the kids, and happier staff with better retention if you bring some time and attention to the front lines.

Night Monitor Position- Amazing how they take advantage of staff.

Current Employee - Night Monitor  in  Arlington, MA
    Current Employee - Night Monitor in Arlington, MA

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love working with kids and finding different ways to get to them. Barely any pros. This place is a horrible place to work.

Cons

The management sucks. After working your shift, they try to make you stay longer to drive kids around, & sometimes very far. Very subtly racist. You can feel the invisible barrier, and you prob won't understand unless you are someone of color. They might not all be like that but that's what's it like at the Germane Lawrence campus. No Lunch breaks. And they try to guilt you into doing things for no extra pay. Every 15 mins you will be up on your feet doing what they call "wanding".

Stop letting your jobs get to your heads and talk to your superiors and actually try to make it a better place for staff and kids.

Worked for Youth Villages? Contribute to the Community!