Youth Villages

Updated February 10, 2015
2.5

Youth Villages CEO Patrick Lawler
Patrick Lawler

Pros
  • Youth Villages always works in the best interest of the children and families they serve (in 10 reviews)

• Our frontline staff and top leadership work extra hard to make a difference every day (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent and they blame you if you cannot make it better (in 18 reviews)

• Long hours and unexpected emergencies related to the children running away (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

A force for families, just not yours.

Former Employee - Foster Care and Family Intervention Specialist in Nashville, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and supervisory staff, great experience working with clients. Pay was all little better than average for this area of the nation.

Cons

Being on call 24-5 is stressing one's family life. Traveling in two to three counties means long driving hours and not getting home until late in the evening. An overwhelming amount of paperwork and documentation.

Help your employees to not only be a force for clients' families, but also for the workers' own family.

Started out great, burnt out quick

Current Employee - Behavioral Youth Counselor in Arlington, MA
    Current Employee - Behavioral Youth Counselor in Arlington, MA

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Help out some kids who just need some extra love. See kids go off and do great things. Work with some great people. Occasionally get to have fun with the kids (take them out in the community, play basketball)

Cons

Unsupportive leadership team. Almost impossible to take time off. Required to acquire doctor's notes in order to take sick time. Take overtime but expected to do more. Incredibly low pay for what is expected of you.

Be supportive of milieu staff. We can't accomplish everything. Work hard to give time off to employees when they are clearly burnt out and actually support staff in seeking to take time off. Pay increases to employees instead of spending thousands on furniture. Give staff 15 minute breaks and require hour breaks during doubles instead of working staff like dogs. Require day and night staff to pick up open slots when milieu staff call out -- instead of leaving milieu staff understaffed.

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!

Current Employee - Counselor in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Counselor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The children that you work with and the colleagues/coworkers on your team who know EXACTLY what you're going through are the best parts of this job.

Cons

Where do I begin? This is a TERRIBLE place to work. Upper management couldn't care less about their staff. They don't care about you being sick, whether or not there's a holiday, whether you go on vacation...NOTHING. All they care about is that you get all of your hours in (even if it's a short week) and that you complete the ginormous amount of documentation in an unrealistic timeframe-under any means necessary. I read the negative reviews on line before accepting this job, and accepted it anyway. I was desperate. But even desperation will not keep me here. After less than 4 months, I am leaving. I would advise ANYONE considering working here to reconsider. If having a life outside of work, and having peace of mind are important to you- DO NOT WORK HERE. If being supported by your supervisor, being taken seriously by upper management, and being compensated fairly for your work are important to you- DO NOT WORK HERE. The pay is miserable. The wear and tear and mileage put on your car is absurd.
    Listen, this is literally the worst place I have ever worked for in my entire life. I've been out of graduate school, have held my degree, and have been working in the field for almost a decade, and I can honestly say that I'd rather work as a janitor in a jail (no offense to janitors who work in jails; I'm sure you all are treated WAY better, and are WAY happier with what you do than the employees at YV) than work for Youth Villages. OVER. IT.

SUPPORT YOUR STAFF rather than bombarding them with unrealistic expectations and leaving them to struggle through it on their own. Provide ADEQUATE training to supervisors, so that they know how to PROPERLY train their new staff. I really could go on and on, but honestly, what's the point? YV has been getting horrible reviews for YEARS and nothing has changed. If they really cared about how their staff felt, then they would do something different. All they care about is the money. Not the staff. Not the families. Just the money.

This place almost took my soul

Former Employee - Teacher Counselor
    Former Employee - Teacher Counselor

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited overtime, some of the coworkers are great, you get exercise from running around without a break for 16 hours

Cons

This place over works every staff member until they are so burned out they have no choice but to quit. Mandated overtime every week... And if you work day shift like I did they will con you into staying for doubles once you get there despite however assertive you may be. The environment is not at ALL therapeutic for children and they utilize an old and not evidenced based treatment model.... The kids usually get worse not better....abusive treatment almost

Update your treatment model and give your staff members BREAKS and do not force them into ot every week

Worst Management Ever

Former Employee - Independent Life Skills Trainer in Oregon City, OR
    Former Employee - Independent Life Skills Trainer in Oregon City, OR

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nashville, TN founded Youth Villages, and the compassion and purpose of the organization is why I signed up for the job.

Cons

Executive Management in Tennessee has slowly started to replace the old Christie Care managers in Oregon, but needs to do more to oust some of the old program and group supervisors.
    Group supervisors do not trust or respect staff, overwork current staff to the point of massive turn overs, and don't adequately support or train people or recognize great work.

Trust the employees you hire to fulfill their work responsibilities with compassion and care and train and recognize employees, so that they feel valued, and use on-call not regular staff to fill the constant vacancies. If off time was approved, there wouldn't be so many call outs, and staffing issues. When an employee leaves, let them say goodbye to the children/adults that they used to work for.

Behavioral Youth Counselor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Youth Villages

Pros

Amazing co-workers, good for gaining experience for other jobs

Cons

work-social life balance is non-existent, mandatory overtime, no breaks, highly stressful, low supervisor support

Long hours, low compensation, zero understanding from upper management - AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with families (if that's something that you're interested) in and being able to start in a "counseling" position with only a bachelor's degree.

Cons

Long hours, frequently placed in dangerous situations, no support from upper management, crazy caseload, wear and tear on your car from frequent driving. On call 24 hours a day. Having on-call hours during the weekends. Horrible compensation. Working 50+ hours a week and only being paid $26,000 is outrageous. I know this is a social service field but seriously?

Try stepping into the shoes of your counselors for a week instead of sitting in your comfortable, climate controlled offices. Even if you were in this position at one time, you obviously do not remember what it was like because your lack of concern and regard for your employees concerns is pitiful. Let's see you work an on-call weekend without help from anyone else. Maybe then, you would have a better understanding of a counselor's day to day experience and be able to show a bit more empathy.

Intercept specialist

Current Employee - Intercept Specialist in Doral, FL
    Current Employee - Intercept Specialist in Doral, FL

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people are nice. I like working with the families. The resources available are useful.

Cons

Everything else. They claim to care about their employees but don't. They don't value your time. They don't do anything for extra efforts to complete your work on time. I invest over $700/month just to work. I drove over 3000 miles in my car in less than a month. You need to get your own computer and Internet (which is not reflected in the amount above). Sometimes I work until 3 in the morning, 16+ hour days. Holidays are more of a detriment than a bonus. You end up having the same amount of work in fewer days. Same goes with sick days. They don't care about the clients, they only care about CYA. High turnover also reduces morale. There's a sense of appreciation from your team but not beyond. It's pretty superficial. It's a small company but you never know everyone.

Fix your contract and when you say you are going to do something, do it. we employees do all the time. You prefer to hire new people and train them than to take care of existing employees. Also, trainings are promised often but are few and far between.

I believe in Youth Villages strong mission to help children and families succeed. I love the company culture!

Current Employee - MST Family Counselor in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - MST Family Counselor in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than a year)

Pros

amazing support, great resources, the company cares about their employees, good benefits, great growth experiences.

Cons

tons of paperwork, can be difficult to manage home-work balance, incredibly emotionally tolling at times, not great pay

A Second Family

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at YV was a lot of fun, and I could feel good about what I was contributing to on a daily basis. My supervisors and colleagues were supportive!

Cons

It's a nonprofit, so there aren't a lot of bells and whistles. In my position, I was able to gain great experience that helped me move forward in my career when I left. There were a couple of difficult people that I had to work with on a regular basis, but that's part of life, and there are difficult people everywhere!

Maybe have some flex-hours or work-from-home options to people that are able to do their jobs from home. Since salary isn't always competitive, perks like being able to work from home one day a week or being able to have flex hours to avoid traffic would make a difference!