Youth Villages

Updated August 30, 2014
2.7

Youth Villages CEO Patrick Lawler
Patrick Lawler

Pros
  • Youth Villages always works in the best interest of the children and families they serve (in 10 reviews)

• Our frontline staff and top leadership work extra hard to make a difference every day (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent and they blame you if you cannot make it better (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours, unrealistic expectations from managers, and poor work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Be passionate about the clients

Current Employee - Independent Skills Trainer  in  Oregon City, OR
    Current Employee - Independent Skills Trainer in Oregon City, OR

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working in this field is my education background and I love the work

Cons

Management has poor communication, scheduling, and there is a high rate of turn over and alot of overtime

better work-life balance, giving people requested time off, so that they are not forced to just call in sick, less holds and seclusions & bring CPS to all residential facilities, and use CPS with manager and staff.

Enjoyed working at YV

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

-helped kids overcome issues
    -positive work environment

Cons

-work/life balance
    - unrealistic paperwork goals

Long lasting career

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent match of personal values and company values, great opportunities for promotions

Cons

work schedule and salary advances

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

different

I have been working at Youth Villages

Pros

Great Place to work, challenge, room for advancement, friendly work environment

Cons

Pay, Salaries, less money ,not enough money,

N/a

Good Company... but sometimes you feel overworked and underpaid

Current Employee - Clinical Supervisor  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Clinical Supervisor in Miami, FL

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the families that you get to work with make you smile when you are able to see the progress that they have made. Lots and Lots of training. This company wants to make sure that you know what your doing while your out in the community working with families. Company also pays for your licensure, and school if your willing to stay with them for a minimum of 2 years after completion. Supervisors go above and beyond to help out when they can and they are not being overworked.

Cons

Leadership seems cliquey, and often states that they want to be transparent, but display the exact opposite. Although there are step increases offered depending on which location your work at, office politics sometimes makes them not even seem worth it. You are at times expected to perform at a level that you cannot manage or maintain long term due to the amount of paperwork and the long drive times. Doesn't seem like the Supervisors get much support from upper management. Things happen often in a disorganized manner which adds to the high turn-over. Seems like at least 2-4 people are leaving a month out of a significantly small office, which causes the case loads of those left to increase.

You should consistently check in with your lower level staff (ie. Specialists, Clinical Liaisons, and Clinical Supervisors) anonymously so that they can share what is "really" going on in some of the offices where there is not as much visible upper management, without feeling as if they will be punished.

Youth Villages: where every day is a new, fresh hell

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The children are delightful and deserve excellent staff to serve them.
    Excellent chance for promotion due to high turn over.
    Despite corrupt upper management, frontline staff are close knit and quality
    Parents have a high level of support from staff.

Cons

You are on call literally 24 hours per day. When the job is presented to you, they tell you that you will receive adequate training and a manageable caseload, but this is a myth. You will be overworked. There is no sacred time. I attempted to call in sick one day and was asked to continue to take phone calls despite having a violent stomach virus. Boundaries are nonexistent.
    Management is physically incapable of telling the truth. One supervisor was honest with an employee once around job expectations and immediately turned into a pillar of dust. Upon promotion, regionals are asked to surrender the last vestiges of their humanity. Your family and friends need to host a farewell dinner because they will never see you again due to the brutal work hours, and when you eventually find the strength to quit, the PTSD and bitterness has seeped so far into your soul that you are left forever changed. They company has made it impossible to succeed. Therapy suffers at the hands of case management. The majority of counselors with the company over six months need anxiety medication to cope. Employees are asked to make unethical decisions in order to boost success percentages, often at the detriment of the children. I have had full team turnovers every six months since I began working for the company.

Aid staff with work life balance.

"We do what we say we do" should extend to fair employee caseloads and expectations.

Separate case management and therapy duties.

I love working at Youth Villages

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The organization is highly invested in providing the best treatment programs for youth and families. The staff and leadership I have come to know are genuine and caring and hard working. Our frontline staff and top leadership work extra hard to make a difference every day. This is so much more than a job and a paycheck (this is definitely NOT the place to work if money is your motivation). There are opportunities for promotion from within when staff show dedication, hard work and some patience. I couldn't imagine being happier at another organization -- even if I got paid more. Benefits at Youth Villages are very good in my opinion.

Cons

Working for a nonprofit in the social services field, it's highly likely you will not get paid generously and that you'll work long hours. This may cause you to question your choices and get angry with your employer. That's why it's important to be realistic and honest with yourself and others about your pay and work expectations before you get your degree in social work or apply for a job at Youth Villages. Making a difference for people with serious emotional and behavioral issues must be your passion for you to excel in this field and at Youth Villages, and for you to be happy with your choices. Working in direct care can be exhausting on every level. Work hours are irregular and long. Children and families aren't always easy to work with. It takes dedication and a sense of mission. These are not "cons" but things to be aware of and to consider before you make a career choice.

Try whatever possible to continue to make frontline jobs more manageable for staff and provide incentives for them to turn their job into a long-term career. Dedicated long-term staff are such an inspiration and make our work culture what it is. Please do what you can to prevent increases of our healthcare deductible.

Over-worked

Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was easy to move up if you are always on top of your paperwork and be a positive person, while at work anyways.

Cons

Very high demand of job responsibilities. Doesn't really care about your work/life balance. For the amount of hours I was working and being on-call over the weekends, I wasn't paid enough. Not much support from my regional manager either.

Regional manager didn't have good people skills and didn't care about you having a life outside of work. Management above the regional manager were much better.

Very stressful

Current Employee - Residential Counselor  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rewarding if you are able to change a child's life.

Cons

Their pay sucks. The job is stressful when it does not have to be.

Influencing the Future

Current Employee - Regional Supervisor  in  Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Regional Supervisor in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have the opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of children and their families. We each work hard to foster positive changes as we believe everyone deserves a chance to have the best life possible. I appreciate the flexibility allowed to ensure my family is taken care of when challenges arise. I work with great group of people and appreciate the opportunities for advancement. It is simply rewarding every time a family is successful. It is the best feeling when a child is successful and is given a chance. This is what we do!

Cons

This job is simply not for everyone. There are a lot of requirements to ensure success. However, we do whatever it takes. We work hard but take time to play when we can to ensure we give our all to each and every child and family. The long hours can be taxing but the end results make it all worthwhile.

Worked for Youth Villages? Contribute to the Community!