Youth Villages Reviews

Reset
2.3
Youth Villages CEO Patrick Lawler
Patrick Lawler

Pros
  • The organization has a very clear mission and works to ensure that staff stay focused on children and families (in 10 reviews)

• If you are looking to make a difference, then this is your place (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Doesn't really care about your work/life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Long hours and unexpected emergencies related to the children running away (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Change the world, one child at a time.

Current Employee - Foster Care Counselor in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Foster Care Counselor in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When you come to work at Youth Villages you join an elite team of individuals from every walk of life, determined to make the lives of the youth in our city, your city, and the nation better. The word "altruism" defines us and there are no limits to what can be achieved when people stand together to help one another help the community. From the office manager to the executive director, every person that works at Youth Villages is saving lives everyday. We work with teens all the way down to itty bitty babies with the diligence and fervor and the heart necessary to help children and families heal, reunite, and to move onward and upward.

This job is a lifestyle more than a job and if you are looking to make a difference in your community and have the right qualifications, then this is the place for you. The case loads are lighter than similar jobs working for the state and you could not hope to find a more loving, fun bunch of people to work with.

Cons

Be prepared for a lot of learning and organization. This is all paid for and provided by Youth Villages but I would want anyone coming into this job to know this so that they can be prepared. It's not really a "con" so to speak since it is a part of every job. As a former college professor I just wanted to let you know what's coming.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. Transitional Living

Current Employee - Transitional Living Specialist in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Transitional Living Specialist in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good organization. Training up front is very helpful. Supportive supervision. Good treatment models. Rewarding work

Cons

Ridiculously low salaries. They are paying their family counselors illegally by classifying them as exempt, requiring overtime and weekend work.

Advice to Management

Your turnover is legend. Hiring straight from college at low pay only keeps employees long enough to find another job.

3. Hard Work, HUGE Rewards.

Current Employee - Transitional Living Specialist in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Transitional Living Specialist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is the type of job you dream of if you want to help people. You are actually helping kids and families and you can be creative with how you do it. If you are working in the community based-programs, you make your own schedule for the most part so you can grab lunch with your friends or attend a Dr's appointment during your work day if you want, as long as you are getting your work done. The pay is competitive with other companies, and more than most.

Cons

There is a lot of paperwork and at least 2 meetings a week. If you are working with a case that can only meet with you at 6:30 pm, then you must meet with them at 6:30 pm. Sometimes that will happen and you can't control it.

Advice to Management

Try to scale back the documentation. Figure out a way to help those who have time off so that time off doesn't feel like a punishment due to having to complete the same amount of work in fewer days.

Family Intervention Specialist

Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Johnson City, TN
    Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Johnson City, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment. Supervisors and upper level management were open to feedback from all staff. Lots of effort to help employees and lead from the front.

Cons

Very long hours, sometimes 60+ hours weeks, with very difficult family situations to deal with on a daily basis. On call to 4-6 families from Monday at 8a to Friday at 5p, plus rotating weekend on call, and can become emotionally and mentally draining very quickly. Low pay, even for those with graduate level degrees.

Great Experience

I worked at Youth Villages

Pros

I gained excellent experience from my internship with YV. This job gives you the experience of working with children of all ages. If you can make it here you can make it anywhere. They will hire anyone with a 4 year degree. Great place if you are looking for employment.

Cons

I was offered a position after graduation, but I declined. I was able to find employment elsewhere with higher pay. High turnover rate.

The idea is good

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My co-workers were great and very supportive. We were our own little family/support team. I was blessed with lifetime friends. Knowing I had a part in improving multiple children's lives is something I'll carry with me forever.

Cons

Upper management is primarily a joke. Don't discharge children home because it lowers the census? That's not exactly what the goal should be...personally I thought it was about helping children and families live successfully. No overtime pay-you are allowed to flex off, but how is that possible when you are working 50-70 hours/week and still can't complete the paperwork on time? No family life. High turn-over results in over-worked staff.

Advice to Management

Allow "comp time" like State employees so your staff can actually get credit for those long days/nights/weeks. Please review the required paperwork. Show that you truly value your employees. Required staff meetings with free food, speeches from management about how things are improving (but never do) and comments about how amazing the staff is (that are obviously not genuine-think car salesman) and cheesy door prizes only add to the stress of the long hours.

8. Great place to start a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Linden, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Linden, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company, opportunity to grow, get great experience

Cons

Perpetually understaffed. Long hours, low pay comparatively. Difficult to have work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Decrease the work load, increase the compensation.

Worst job ever

I worked at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

Watching the children change from good to bad. Seeing that you make a difference with the children.

Cons

The staff are like a bunch of high school kids. A lot of gossiping, and backstabbing. The pay sucks and the hours are horrible. 16 hour shifts on the weekends.

Clinical supervisor

Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor in Durham, NC

I worked at Youth Villages

Pros

The families and children really need the support and therapy.

Cons

Workload, long hours, low pay, unmanageable expectations.

Advice to Management

Increase pay

Ehh...

Current Employee - MST Family Counselor in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - MST Family Counselor in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Youth Villages (More than a year)

Pros

Ironically I practically pursued the company to get to hire me, now that I'm here, ehh. Lots of training, it's a pro but you will get tired of it. The multi-tiered clinical case reviewing is not as helpful as MST thinks it is but it does make ppl more accountable.

Cons

PAPERWORK OVERLOAD! I actually enjoy the work itself, but my goodness, every ounce of everything you say has to be documented, some of the structural pieces makes you repeat yourself all week, I don't understand why families have to do about 100pages worth of paperwork between pre-admit and admit just ugh! Driving hasn't killed me yet but I have a newer car and super fuel efficient, I will say the oil changes come a lot quicker than expected so get use to the wear and tear.

Advice to Management

Increase pay. If ideally you think in two years I would have earned about $6,000-7,000 more, let's start there, it might help keep people long term because the first year salary is totally not worth it. Work/home balance is NON-EXISTENT!

RSS Feed </> Embed