Youth Villages

Updated January 5, 2015
2.7

Youth Villages CEO Patrick Lawler
Patrick Lawler

Pros
  • Youth Villages always works in the best interest of the children and families they serve (in 10 reviews)

• Our frontline staff and top leadership work extra hard to make a difference every day (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent and they blame you if you cannot make it better (in 18 reviews)

• Long hours and unexpected emergencies related to the children running away (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

I believe in Youth Villages strong mission to help children and families succeed. I love the company culture!

Current Employee - MST Family Counselor in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - MST Family Counselor in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than a year)

Pros

amazing support, great resources, the company cares about their employees, good benefits, great growth experiences.

Cons

tons of paperwork, can be difficult to manage home-work balance, incredibly emotionally tolling at times, not great pay

Wonderful organization and opportunity for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Youth Villages stays ahead of most organizations regarding clinical treatment and staff training. The agency offers flexible hours, tuition assistance and other perks that non profit companies don't offer.

Cons

Most entery level postions are less flexible.

different

I have been working at Youth Villages

Pros

Great Place to work, challenge, room for advancement, friendly work environment

Cons

Pay, Salaries, less money ,not enough money,

N/a

I love working at Youth Villages

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The organization is highly invested in providing the best treatment programs for youth and families. The staff and leadership I have come to know are genuine and caring and hard working. Our frontline staff and top leadership work extra hard to make a difference every day. This is so much more than a job and a paycheck (this is definitely NOT the place to work if money is your motivation). There are opportunities for promotion from within when staff show dedication, hard work and some patience. I couldn't imagine being happier at another organization -- even if I got paid more. Benefits at Youth Villages are very good in my opinion.

Cons

Working for a nonprofit in the social services field, it's highly likely you will not get paid generously and that you'll work long hours. This may cause you to question your choices and get angry with your employer. That's why it's important to be realistic and honest with yourself and others about your pay and work expectations before you get your degree in social work or apply for a job at Youth Villages. Making a difference for people with serious emotional and behavioral issues must be your passion for you to excel in this field and at Youth Villages, and for you to be happy with your choices. Working in direct care can be exhausting on every level. Work hours are irregular and long. Children and families aren't always easy to work with. It takes dedication and a sense of mission. These are not "cons" but things to be aware of and to consider before you make a career choice.

Try whatever possible to continue to make frontline jobs more manageable for staff and provide incentives for them to turn their job into a long-term career. Dedicated long-term staff are such an inspiration and make our work culture what it is. Please do what you can to prevent increases of our healthcare deductible.

Wonderful Organization

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for Youth Villages for over 10 years now and absolutely love it. I was 23 years old when I started working here and was given so many opportunities for growth and experience working in different programs. I am now the Assistant Director over three community based programs and I have the opportunity to work with a lot staff. I believe the culture is great, everyone is so supportive of one another, and is extremely dedicated to working hard. The job is difficult and it is not a good fit for everyone because Youth Villages helps the most challenging troubled youth and families but it is so rewarding. I feel supported in my journey of growth and development and am so lucky for the opportunity that I have to work for such a great organization.

Cons

Working with troubled children and families is not easy and is not a good fit for everyone.

Experience and Opportunity

Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Experience. If you are going to work in the mental health field, from early on, you will get excellent front line experience that will stick with you for the rest of your career. The challenges and difficulties of the job help foster a team envrinment where everyone works together to get the job done. Since Youth Villages is leading the way nationally in child welfare services and innovation, you have the opportunity to gain a unique perspective and get it on what is being nationally recognized as a leading model and organization. Simply the excellent name Youth Villages has built for itself can be an asset in your future career if you find yourself needing to change organizations. Its hard work, from top to bottom, the nature of the work is hard. However, Youth Villages will afford you the opportunity and experience to make the most out of it. As you progress in your career in or outside of Youth Villages, you won't be basing your career off a bunch of stuff you read in a book in some class. Rather, you will be basing it off first hand experiences that you get working at Youth Villages. The company often promotes from within, so advancement opportunities abound, particularly with its expansion to other states. I started Youth Villages 12 years ago having no idea or intention that I would stay as they were just the first people that offered me a job when i graduated college. But I made the most of it and have had an excellent career as a result. People's experience could vary, but all I can do is testify to my experience and many of thsoe around me.

Cons

Again, its hard work and anyone who tells you otherwise is not painting the full picture. But so much of that is simply the field in which Youth Villages operates. The time can be demanding and how well you handle it can very greatly based off your personal work style. The nature of the work means that its hard to drastically change things at any given moment, because its not as if you can send the kids elsewhere while you fix the problem. The kids are always in our care and it requires people who can adapt on the go and think outside the box.

Keep seekings ways to pour into staff's whole development. Leaders are often promoted young and dthey need the experience and support to learn as they go in the field of managing people. Youth Villages has a lots of programs to support this, but keep at it and keep innovating.

Wonderful Company to work for...

Current Employee - Operations Staff in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Operations Staff in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Youth Villages has a commitment to providing world-class training programs to their employees. The staff development is very personal and directed toward success and leadership!

The employee benefits are amazing and competitive to some major international organizations.

The organization has a very clear mission and works to ensure that staff stay focused on children and families.

Cons

The mental health industry has a history of high turn over.

Youth Villages is not just a company or a job....it's a family!

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive co-workers and supervisors, tuition reimbursement, company-wide competitions to promote wellness, high success rates with youth & families! Youth Villages is only getting bigger which mean more opportunities. Everyone I work with truly believes in the mission of helping kids & families to live together successfully, we all have the same goal in mind.

Cons

You won't get rich working for Youth Villages but they do have great benefits. The job can be intensive but also allows really flexible schedules which most of us appreciate.

Regional

Current Employee - Regional in Nash, TN
    Current Employee - Regional in Nash, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company and officers. Grows from within. Ongoing training and development

Cons

All officers are white males. Political at times. Can be about who you know and not who the best fit is for a position.

Think about development of frontline staff. Hard to do when you are nonprofit and can only hire what you are slotted for. If you lose an employee,you have to hire to fill position. Training can only be so much before they are thrown into the role.

WeWew

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Managers really care about their employees. We try to have fun in the middle of our hard work.

Cons

Some positions in the company make it challenging to have a good work/life balance. This is something managers are constantly working on.