Youth Villages

Youth Villages Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Youth Villages CEO Patrick Lawler

Patrick Lawler

Pros:
  • "Youth Villages always works in the best interest of the children and families they serve"
    in 8 reviews
  • "You have much opportunity to make a difference in creative ways"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is non-existent and they blame you if you cannot make it better"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Long hours, unrealistic expectations from managers, and poor work/life balance"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wasn't for me...

Nashville, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat organization, sincere interest in helping at-risk youth and families

ConsVery demanding work - hours and hours of documentation outside of hours required for each client; many meetings - some beneficial, some not so much, scheduled every week, interfering with ability to meet demands of client sessions. Most employees lack experience and necessary training - approach seems more of a "fake it til you make it" philosophy, at least with my supervisor.

YV

I worked at Youth Villages for more than a year

ProsMy experiences with Youth Villages have been extremely challenging both personally, professionally but also rewarding.
The daily interactions with working with children will keep you young.

ConsThe hours and schedule of ANY position can be extremely stressful. The sixteen hour shifts on the weekend can really burn you out.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more breaks the job is very stressful.

It has a good developmental experience

Teacher Counselor (Former Employee)

I worked at Youth Villages full-time for more than a year

Prosthey have great leadership development programs

Consit is prone to becoming a psychologically stressful work environment

Advice to Senior Managementmake it a business priority to develop more incentives for teacher counselors

Great goals, with leadership thats lacking

Overnight Teacher Counselor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for less than a year

ProsYou get fantastic benefits, and ticket perks in the area.

ConsYou're severely overworked and underpaid. which is normal for non-profit organizations. It's very hard to balance social lives outside of work unless you like going out after your shift at 10:30 after a long day. It's an unprofessional and toxic atmosphere, that reminds me of being in high school....everyone spends more time hooking up with the next person than actually doing work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership tends to be immature because the turnover rate is so bad (most people dont stay longer that 6 months). It's sad but management needs to be more willing to help their staff.

Company needs to make major changes in their treatment of employees

Family Intervention Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Youth Villages full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazing *stated* work mission and values (This is why I wanted to work for the company).
Great relationships with coworkers and many opportunities to collaborate with other service providers.

ConsHorrible at following through with mission and values. Work-life balance is non-existent and they blame you if you cannot make it better. Pay is minimal and raises are few and far between. Everyone is over worked and miserable, and these are your friends that you want to help but don't have time to help. Twelve hour days and no ability to get ahead even for the most organized person. The people that stick around tend to be ones that owe the company due to further pursuit in education or retirement savings. They immorally (decision has to be made in front of coworkers in effort to get jeans days) guilt you into giving a percentage of your already tiny salary back to the company. Success means a kid that did not get in trouble, not actual turn-arounds because you didn't have enough time with families to actually make these changes (three months max to make a long term impact with families who don't even want you around half the time). Parents are guilted into receiving your help by telling them a report to CPS will be made if they do not follow through with services.
Also, I remember reading these reviews and thinking people were crazy and maybe they were the problem. I hope future readers do not make that same decision.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall this company has a great face but does not follow through with promises. I was thrilled to get a job there, felt guilty when I was stressed out, and finally realized it wasn't just me. They treat employees as a dime-a-dozen, you are simply replaceable if you aren't going to alter your life for the job. I am well educated, have been successful in previous jobs, but felt like a failure in this job. If they were honest about their job turn-over rates it would be statistically obvious they do not treat employees well.

I stayed way longer than I should have

I worked at Youth Villages full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGrowing company, meaningful mission, great people doing the actual work. Upper management makes good money and great benefits. Due to fast national growth, lots of opportunity for advancement on the direct care side.

ConsPlantation mentality, only wants young, inexperienced workers who can be molded to their corporate line. Also, front line workers are expected to work horrendous hours with little to no time off and little pay. Turnover on the front lines is off the chart - at the time I left they were lucky to keep folks for six months.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease treat your workers like human beings.

Good Job

Teacher Counselor (Current Employee)
Portland, OR

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people to work with.

ConsLow pay is the single worst issue

Family intervention specialist is hell

Family Intervention Specialist (Former Employee)
Madison, IN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time for less than a year

ProsMaking a difference and building a relationship with families, youths, and community members.

Sometimes the flexible schedule works in your favor and you've got an afternoon or morning free.

ConsYou are literally never off. Even on the weekend when someone else is on call, the families will forget and call you. And when you're on call, you're expected to make calls and sometimes in person visits up to two hours away to check on families.

And seriously just forget about work/life boundaries. I missed a text message from a family because I was sleeping and got chewed out by my supervisor because I should have woken up for it. I had to go out at 11pm at night at least every week to check on a family and they were an hour away.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop working the front line staff to death.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good PD, bad pay, manipulative

I have been working at Youth Villages

ProsGood experience for young college grads to put on their resume. Good professional development. Definitely looks good on paper.

ConsLow pay, little to no overtime pay depending on the position, they'll work you to death.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees what they're worth.

Never again.

I worked at Youth Villages full-time

ProsI loved the actual time I spent with my clients and the work I was able to do with them. You are so involved with their lives, meeting with them so many times a week, that the relationship alone creates such a positive impact on their lives. I enjoyed the meaningful helping relationships I was able to create with my clients and their families as well as watching them grow and evolve towards a more harmonious sense of self and home environment. I truly miss that. It was the only thing that was hard to leave. Very very hard.

ConsThere are no boundaries with this job. I felt like I was working ALL THE TIME. Probably because I was. You are on call to your clients 24 hours a day during the work week and around once per month you are also on call for everyone's clients through the weekend, resulting in 24/7 being on the clock and ready to work with no time to regroup and focus on self care or have a life of your own outside of work. I've often heard my fellow employees close to tears speaking of how they feel the organization expects them to prioritize their client families at the cost of neglecting their own families. Suddenly the reasonable salary for this field becomes very unreasonable. Another major boundary issue is do not expect to be using a work line at this organization because all of your contact is through your personal cell phone, often via texting with your clients. Anyone who is familiar with clinical settings would know that this requirement is a complete and utter 'no no' in the field. In addition, the paperwork is absolutely insane. Now I know what you're thinking.. paperwork is always insane in this field. I agree. Paperwork is going to be intense no matter where you go. But I've worked at multiple different agencies, so I am not new to the field, and I can tell you honestly that yv's paperwork responsibilities are above and beyond the standard frustrations. I think besides unmanageable and constant deadlines, what made the paperwork so frustrating was that it was so obviously redundant and often unnecessary which became very discouraging and unmotivating when you found yourself frequently working into the night, losing time with your loved ones as well as time for self care. I do want to note that perhaps some of these major concerns can be mitigated depending on the quality of your relationship with your supervisor and/or your supervisor's management style. So for me, my lacking of a consistent and reasonable supervisor/supervisee relationship undoubtedly exacerbated these issues. With that said, I'm willing to admit that perhaps things aren't so bad at every yv office. However, the overall issues that I have outlined will surely still be present to varying degrees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just pretend to care about your employees well-being. Actually care. And show it by responding to their feedback in a positive, constructive manner. The management at youth villages likes to put on airs telling you how much they care about employee feedback by encouraging specialists and the like to complete comment cards stationed at all area offices to be reviewed at "town hall" meetings. This and other things including the fact that they truly do promote from within.. i'm pretty sure most everyone in management started as a specialist.. made me feel like I could expect great support at this organization when I first started. Unfortunately, I quickly came to realize that this was just for show. Youth villages management, you can not ignore your high turnover rate. And forcing your new employees to sign off stating that if they leave before a year that they will be responsible for all costs of their MANDATORY trainings and pre employment physical is not the right and ethical way around it. Apply the same listening and empathy skills specialists are to use with clients. Specialists are overworked and set up to fail by being held to impossible standards. You will continue to lose good people who truly care about the work that they do and aren't just there to climb the corporate ladder as long as you continue to run them into the ground. Which is such a shame because the ideals YV obviously began with are wonderful.

Worked for Youth Villages? Contribute to the Community!

Youth Villages Videos

Youth Villages – Why Work for Us?

Evidentiary Family Restoration® is Youth Villages’ approach to helping our nation’s most vulnerable and troubled children. All our programs and services operate under this approach, which emphasizes family, measurement… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Youth Villages reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Youth Villages CEO Patrick Lawler. All 104 reviews posted anonymously by Youth Villages employees.