Youth Villages Reviews

Reset

Don't compromise your wellbeing

Former Employee - Intervention Specialist/Clinical Liaison in Morristown, TN
    Former Employee - Intervention Specialist/Clinical Liaison in Morristown, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Established great supportive friendships that are still solid. Working with families was really rewarding, when the families wanted the help.

Cons

Logistically a nightmare. On call 24/7 without compensation. Expected to transport youth despite obvious safety concerns. It is easy to work 105 hours a week for under $30,000 a year. Leadership demands that team members add clinical information to secure insurance approval even if the information is not clinically accurate. I believe that is considered insurance fraud.

Advice to Management

This organization could do great things. The organization needs to have full internal investigations. Entire organization needs a good house cleaning and restructure. There are issues when workers have emotional and physical breakdowns with a year of employment.

Avoid like the plague!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, MA

I worked at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

Good for your resume. If you can work here your next teaching job will be a breeze. You learn to Appreciate working normal kids.

Cons

Horribly under paid. The management is a joke. Under staffed,cause nobody last a year. At first you have grand ideas of helping the children then it becomes apparent that they are helpless in the YV environment put forth by the state. Negative environment. Long illegal hours.

Advice to Management

Quit and let someone who know how to run a facility and can appreciate staff. Maybe you would not have such a high turn over rate. Maybe the children would get well.

3. Huge Turnover

I worked at Youth Villages

Pros

Great Training provided for new staff

Cons

Direct Care staff has a huge turnover rate, which puts stress on managers, as well as therapists to be in crisis situations.

5. Family intervention specialist

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

Direct work with many diverse families (different age groups, referral behaviors, and cultural backgrounds).

Cons

Low pay, low clinical support, low safety support in the field, unmanageable expectations

Advice to Management

Find more ways to increase safety of specialists when in field

Do NOT work for Youth Villages

Former Employee - Primary Services Coordinator in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Primary Services Coordinator in Jackson, MS

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed some of my co-workers other than that, it is hard to find positives about this place.

Cons

I cannot tell you the amount of crazy things I was asked to do with this job. These people have incredibly unrealistic expectations for the employees. The higher-ups are delusional and don't care to know what's really going on at the bottom. I was sent out at 3 am to look for runaways while their parents slept on several different occasions. We were expected to take the kids on to raise ourselves. Do NOT work for this company!!

Advice to Management

When we were notified that someone from headquarters would be coming into the office, we were told to stay out of the office for fear that one of us might tip them off to how things really were. That says volumes.

7. I hope other offices are better

I worked at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

Independence and decent money and another word so it's long enough.

Cons

Corporate counseling (aka, money driven) with inflamed self-reported results leads to a company that looks good, with good intentions, but ends up being just another corporation that makes a bunch of money and... yeah, sometimes they help a few people along the way.

Advice to Management

Management is usually the problem. If you're good at your job, you won't make it to management.

8. Rewarding

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Youth Villages

Pros

Create your own schedule, positive co workers, rewarding experience, great resume builder for the future, Youth villages works with staff on getting your masters

Cons

On call can be miserable. This job is high in stress and can be overwhelming at times. Destroys your car. You are driving EVERYWHERE.

Advice to Management

I would be more receptive to criticism and try to improve the service. I would make this job start at 40,000 because if the demand and it may reduce turnover.

Toxic Company

Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Youth Villages

Pros

I was able to have an income immediately after graduate school.
    I made a couple of good friends, one of whom went on to head one of the IN offices.

Cons

I say this all as someone who was in good standing with YV and left on good terms:

-Completely Unrealistic Demands: You will often work 55-70 hours a week and be on call 24/7, which means you will not have a life outside of Youth Villages. Middle and upper management will attempt to convince you that your job is worth suffering for and that you aren't a team player or committed to helping others if you attempt to create a healthy work/life balance. Many of the positive reviews about the company have been asked for by upper management, hence they often have little depth to them.

-Redundant/ Pointless Paperwork: As a clinician I am a huge fan of proper documentation, but Youth Villages takes it to an all new extreme. Most of the forms you will spend hours filling out do nothing to further your work with the families and are completely unnecessary. Treatment plans are not supposed to change EVERY WEEK. They are a general clinical roadmap of your work, I would be highly alarmed if someone I was supervising needed to completely redraft a treatment plan after every second or third session...I'd be fearful that they were rushing through and doing poor work or, even worse, didn't know what they were doing at all.

-No Real Supervision/ No Growth as Therapist: If you just graduated a program in Social Work, Counseling, or Psychology this is not the place to go if you want to grow as a clinician. What you will be forced to do will look like basic life-skills training, not therapy. The people supervising you, who've spent their entire careers at YV, will not be able to make you a better therapist. They will only make you better-should you survive the long hours- at filing out mountains of pointless paperwork and following a watered down "treatment manual". In short, they can't teach you what they don't know themselves.

-Promotions Are Rarely About Quality: I did see a former colleague get promoted to supervisor after I left the company, and she's probably one of the few qualified and compassionate supervisors on the entire Indiana team. Mostly, though? Promotions were given to people who would suck up to management or wear the "Youth Villages Face", many of them are not from clinical fields or backgrounds and should not be managing masters level clinicians.

-The Youth Villages Face: If you take a job with YV you had better wear this at all times. What do I mean? If you are having a hard day...hide it. If the work is burning you out...don't let management see it. If you are fed up with the constant, toxic stream of YV propaganda and unfair policies...keep it to yourself. All of these things can get you blacklisted in office politics which means you'll be the first one on call for holidays or when the supervisor's favorite doesn't want to do his or her work, or when some inconvenient or unpleasant task needs to be done. Not wearing the YV face will cause middle and upper management to behave very negatively towards you and, believe me, being alienated at work when you already don't have time for a life outside of work will burn you out very quickly.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff better, hire staff with real clinical backgrounds to supervise, dramatically reduce unnecessary paperwork (most of it is), understand your staff is often working with difficult families and so reduce caseloads.

10. It was a positive experience

I have been working at Youth Villages

Pros

I received valuable training and professional development

Cons

Too much time spent in a car and wear and tear on vehicle.

No work life balance. Always on call. Exhausting

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

If you want to make a difference, this is the place to work. Good supervisor who really cares.

Cons

You loose yourself to this place. The Asheville office is growing but people are burned out.

Advice to Management

Don't be surprised when more people leave. We can't continue like this.

RSS Feed </> Embed