Youth Villages Reviews

Reset

1. Death by overwork

Former Employee - Foster Care Counselor in Morristown, TN
    Former Employee - Foster Care Counselor in Morristown, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home. Paid mileage. Can't think of anymore. Looking back, not sure why I stayed. Had to actually sleep in the office with a client because they had nowhere to place her.

Cons

80+ work weeks for a McDonald's salary. Had to drive for 12 hours after a 6 hour work day, then expected to be at work for full sessions next day. Chronically understaffed. Families not cooperative. No support from regional supervisors.

Advice to Management

Lower case loads, find more supportive middle management

2. Family Intervention Specialist

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great opportunity to practice both case management skills and clinical skills
    -Have the chance to truly make a difference in people's lives
    - Administration was very receptive to feedback on how to make the job more manageable

Cons

- Very difficult to manage work life balance due to on-call schedule
    - Dealing with crises can be emotionally draining

Advice to Management

- Continue to be receptive to feedback!
    - Everything that is done to make the clinicians feel appreciated and like they are doing a great job is so important and really helps

Changing lives!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages

Pros

I have worked at YV for 15+ years and the number of folks you help here is unparalled at any other social service agency in the state of TN. The hours are long and the work is, at times, tiresome but the differences you make with our children and families are totally worth it. If your calling is to make positive and long lasting changes for families, Youth Villages is the right place for you!

Cons

Hours are long and on call is at times stressful, but that would accompany any job in this line of work. We are compensated well for our efforts and our benefits are good, which offsets any long or stressful weeks.

Do not ever work at the old Christie Campus/residential program.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Youth Villages

Pros

Absolutely none. I have no idea how this place is operating. I have work in mental health and the stories I hear from people who work here are unbelievable.

Cons

There is absolutely no staff here and conditions are extremely unsafe. I heard of clients actually having to restrain another client because they were beating up a staff so badly and there were no other staff to help. You are not protected if you are injured on the job and management is forcing workers to work doubles and extremely illegal shifts with only a 6 hour break in between. This place needs to be closed down forever or at least until they can hire new staff. This is doing more damage to the kids that good.

Advice to Management

CLOSE.

Caring about the kids is what keeps you going to work.

Current Employee - Teacher Counselor in Arlington, MA
    Current Employee - Teacher Counselor in Arlington, MA

I have been working at Youth Villages (More than a year)

Pros

Management is great, they truly care about their employees and are willing to go the extra mile. Working with the children can also be very rewarding.

Cons

The pay is pretty bad. There are opportunities for overtime but it is nearly impossible to live off of the base pay. Also there is a high risk of injury.

Advice to Management

Management is great, the issues are the pay and support staff. With higher pay there would be a greater retention of employees which would help staff morale.

7. Transitional Skills Coordinator

Former Employee - Transitional Skils Coordinator
    Former Employee - Transitional Skils Coordinator

I worked at Youth Villages

Pros

There's absolutely NOTHING good to say about this company. They work you like a slave. Management backstabs you and NEVER keeps their word. Corporate Management lie and consistently fail to adhere to policies, procedures, and governing state law.

Cons

Management ALWAYS uses staff as scape goats when anything goes wrong. The children are not treated properly by many of the management. I stood up to management in support of the residents at Mosaic because they were being mistreated by management failing to provide the residents' "cash" allowance to buy food. Instead, I was told to: "USE THE COMPANY CREDIT CARD TO TAKE THEM SHOPPING FOR GROCERIES." Really???? A non-profit organization that uses credit cards to stay afloat after being paid each month for each resident??? THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT A PLACE YOU WOULD EVER WANT TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

A COMPLETE OVERHAUL OF ALL LEVELS OF MANAGEMENT NEED TO OCCUR BEFORE THIS NON-PROFIT WOULD EVER BE WORTH WORKING FOR.

8. Lead Teacher

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Youth Villages

Pros

An opportunity to work with emotionally and behaviorally challenged students in a small class room setting. Ideally classes range in size from 10 to 18. Usually, a teacher can expect to have one teaching assistant for every 5 students.

Cons

If you're expecting a full disclosure discussion of all your work responsibilities , you will be sadly disappointed. You will even be more disappointed when your work responsibilities, additional work-at-home, and clerical responsibilities outweigh anything to do with actual teaching. School teachers work year round. You will be able to take a few breaks. If you don't have your paperwork completed before seasonal breaks, then you will be required to work.

Advice to Management

Hire a sufficient clerical staff to assist teachers, counselors, and residential support staff with required paperwork. Counselors and Teachers are overworked as it is.

ummmm

I have been working at Youth Villages

Pros

Free food , Free headaches

Cons

see the pros that should sum it up

Transitional Living Specialist

Former Employee - Transition Specialist
    Former Employee - Transition Specialist

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Insurance, field experience, clientele, front-line staff

Cons

Pay is mediocre, upper management, company structure, lack of support for career (company's programs are not what they could/should be)

Advice to Management

Raise the pay, lower the caseload, simplify the work, make sure your mid-level staff is legitimately supporting the front-line staff, make sure the training is actually sufficient instead of assuming that it is for every employee, don't try to trap Master's level counselors into paying LOTS of money they don't have/forfeiting hours/staying for two years after their license. I began trying to leave the company for that reason from the day I started when I learned that. Youth Villages is way too top heavy in that decisions come from Memphis, but what works for Memphis doesn't work for every office. You guys have a strong reputation for using new graduates until they are burned out and being a REALLY bad place to work for employees who have families. Most of us felt stuck working long hours with the fear that we will not meet the Home Office standards. Go ask your front-line staff if they think they could do this job long-term. The mid-level staff seem to be clogging the way for advancement, too, so the long-term guys are there for a long time while the front-line positions are not worth it. If you calculate what they make according to the hours they work, it's around minimum wage.

11. It is what you make it

Current Employee - Leadership
    Current Employee - Leadership

I have been working at Youth Villages

Pros

High quality training, High Clinical Supervision, Reputable organization, meaningful impact in the lives of children and families. The job can be wahat you make of it. Lots of opportunities to take advantage of that will most definitely prepare you for ANY position you hold with ANY organization EVER. If you are careful not to dedicate too much time to useless "cooler chatter," you can make the work somewhat manageable until an opportunity presents itself either internally or externally for advancement.

Cons

On call schedule and non-traditional hours can attribute to burnout, high turnover, and high blood pressure. Promotions happen quickly at times which increases chances of inexperienced leadership.

Advice to Management

Be sure to remain grounded and humble. Do not become so far removed, that you are unable to remember what it was like to provide direct care to a full caseload. Protect your staff while maintaining expectations standards for them. It's all about balance. Everything is not an emergency. Pay close attention to process and meeting efficiency to respect the time of your staff.

RSS Feed </> Embed