Youth Villages Reviews

Updated April 14, 2015
167 reviews filtered by

I love working at Youth Villages

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The organization is highly invested in providing the best treatment programs for youth and families. The staff and leadership I have come to know are genuine and caring and hard working. Our frontline staff and top leadership work extra hard to make a difference every day. This is so much more than a job and a paycheck (this is definitely NOT the place to work if money is your motivation). There are opportunities for promotion from within when staff show dedication, hard work and some patience. I couldn't imagine being happier at another organization -- even if I got paid more. Benefits at Youth Villages are very good in my opinion.

Cons

Working for a nonprofit in the social services field, it's highly likely you will not get paid generously and that you'll work long hours. This may cause you to question your choices and get angry with your employer. That's why it's important to be realistic and honest with yourself and others about your pay and work expectations before you get your degree in social work or apply for a job at Youth Villages. Making a difference for people with serious emotional and behavioral issues must be your passion for you to excel in this field and at Youth Villages, and for you to be happy with your choices. Working in direct care can be exhausting on every level. Work hours are irregular and long. Children and families aren't always easy to work with. It takes dedication and a sense of mission. These are not "cons" but things to be aware of and to consider before you make a career choice.

Advice to Management

Try whatever possible to continue to make frontline jobs more manageable for staff and provide incentives for them to turn their job into a long-term career. Dedicated long-term staff are such an inspiration and make our work culture what it is. Please do what you can to prevent increases of our healthcare deductible.

Over-worked

Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was easy to move up if you are always on top of your paperwork and be a positive person, while at work anyways.

Cons

Very high demand of job responsibilities. Doesn't really care about your work/life balance. For the amount of hours I was working and being on-call over the weekends, I wasn't paid enough. Not much support from my regional manager either.

Advice to Management

Regional manager didn't have good people skills and didn't care about you having a life outside of work. Management above the regional manager were much better.

Very stressful

Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rewarding if you are able to change a child's life.

Cons

Their pay sucks. The job is stressful when it does not have to be.

5. Influencing the Future

Current Employee - Regional Supervisor in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Regional Supervisor in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have the opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of children and their families. We each work hard to foster positive changes as we believe everyone deserves a chance to have the best life possible. I appreciate the flexibility allowed to ensure my family is taken care of when challenges arise. I work with great group of people and appreciate the opportunities for advancement. It is simply rewarding every time a family is successful. It is the best feeling when a child is successful and is given a chance. This is what we do!

Cons

This job is simply not for everyone. There are a lot of requirements to ensure success. However, we do whatever it takes. We work hard but take time to play when we can to ensure we give our all to each and every child and family. The long hours can be taxing but the end results make it all worthwhile.

Good experience with the youth, but the bottom line is manifestly apparent.

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are looking at a career in counseling or social work, the front line experience that you get with the youth is fantastic, and you can carry that with you for the rest of your career. Also, the kids can be pretty great sometimes.

Cons

The bottom line - $$$ - is incredibly apparent working with this company. Even a little bit more money invested in the kids and the staff who work with them, rather than in promoting the image of the company, could go such a long way. For instance, putting money into actually nutritious food or fully functioning fitness or rec equipment, rather than a whole new fleet of vans. Or hiring adequate staff to allow for the best care for the kids. And then because staffing is so poor, staff are expected to work overtime, made to feel guilty for using the little bit of vacation time they get, and burn out incredibly quickly. This, combined with the minimal effort put into training staff, can often lead to dangerous, though avoidable situations. The money is there, it is just not used the right way. And finally, the cronyism in this company leads to terribly unqualified people making it into management positions at an alarming rate.

Advice to Management

Invest some more money and time in hiring and training staff. These are the people with whom the youth spend the majority of their time, and you will get better results with the kids, and happier staff with better retention if you bring some time and attention to the front lines.

Night Monitor Position- Amazing how they take advantage of staff.

Current Employee - Night Monitor in Arlington, MA
    Current Employee - Night Monitor in Arlington, MA

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love working with kids and finding different ways to get to them. Barely any pros. This place is a horrible place to work.

Cons

The management sucks. After working your shift, they try to make you stay longer to drive kids around, & sometimes very far. Very subtly racist. You can feel the invisible barrier, and you prob won't understand unless you are someone of color. They might not all be like that but that's what's it like at the Germane Lawrence campus. No Lunch breaks. And they try to guilt you into doing things for no extra pay. Every 15 mins you will be up on your feet doing what they call "wanding".

Advice to Management

Stop letting your jobs get to your heads and talk to your superiors and actually try to make it a better place for staff and kids.

Long Hours, Hard Work, Rewarding Experience

Current Employee - No Comment However I Was In Leadership
    Current Employee - No Comment However I Was In Leadership

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you are looking to make a difference, then this is your place. However you will work 50 plus hours per week, come home late, document for hours, and do it all over again the next day. No matter what program you work in, they are very demanding, however thier methodology proves to work, and make differences in children and families lives.

Cons

If you are not a worker, and want something in order to support your hobby or family life, don't do it. They will literally drive you to quit. Find a 40 hour a week job working in another agency. They will promote quickly if you show a work ethic that can keep up with demand. If you would rather spend time at home or traveling, then find another career choice. However if you want to make a difference, move up in social services, learn from the best in the business...this is for you. Once you let them down though...even once...you will be passed on promotion, and given the red badge. So work hard, say yes sit, and work the system, and you will go places.

Advice to Management

Have more pateince, learn that leadership is being a servant as well as a teacher. Question the authority above you. The YV way is not the only way.

9. Wonderful Organization

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for Youth Villages for over 10 years now and absolutely love it. I was 23 years old when I started working here and was given so many opportunities for growth and experience working in different programs. I am now the Assistant Director over three community based programs and I have the opportunity to work with a lot staff. I believe the culture is great, everyone is so supportive of one another, and is extremely dedicated to working hard. The job is difficult and it is not a good fit for everyone because Youth Villages helps the most challenging troubled youth and families but it is so rewarding. I feel supported in my journey of growth and development and am so lucky for the opportunity that I have to work for such a great organization.

Cons

Working with troubled children and families is not easy and is not a good fit for everyone.

10. Experience and Opportunity

Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Experience. If you are going to work in the mental health field, from early on, you will get excellent front line experience that will stick with you for the rest of your career. The challenges and difficulties of the job help foster a team envrinment where everyone works together to get the job done. Since Youth Villages is leading the way nationally in child welfare services and innovation, you have the opportunity to gain a unique perspective and get it on what is being nationally recognized as a leading model and organization. Simply the excellent name Youth Villages has built for itself can be an asset in your future career if you find yourself needing to change organizations. Its hard work, from top to bottom, the nature of the work is hard. However, Youth Villages will afford you the opportunity and experience to make the most out of it. As you progress in your career in or outside of Youth Villages, you won't be basing your career off a bunch of stuff you read in a book in some class. Rather, you will be basing it off first hand experiences that you get working at Youth Villages. The company often promotes from within, so advancement opportunities abound, particularly with its expansion to other states. I started Youth Villages 12 years ago having no idea or intention that I would stay as they were just the first people that offered me a job when i graduated college. But I made the most of it and have had an excellent career as a result. People's experience could vary, but all I can do is testify to my experience and many of thsoe around me.

Cons

Again, its hard work and anyone who tells you otherwise is not painting the full picture. But so much of that is simply the field in which Youth Villages operates. The time can be demanding and how well you handle it can very greatly based off your personal work style. The nature of the work means that its hard to drastically change things at any given moment, because its not as if you can send the kids elsewhere while you fix the problem. The kids are always in our care and it requires people who can adapt on the go and think outside the box.

Advice to Management

Keep seekings ways to pour into staff's whole development. Leaders are often promoted young and dthey need the experience and support to learn as they go in the field of managing people. Youth Villages has a lots of programs to support this, but keep at it and keep innovating.

Family Intervention Specialist

Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

It is one of the most rewarding jobs one can ever have. There are excellent opportunities for growth if one is willing to relocate.

Cons

Long hours and unexpected emergencies related to the children running away. Working in dangerous areas.

Advice to Management

Create policies that ensure the safety of the counselors. Provide better pay.This job requires advance education and the current pay is less than desirable for College educated counselors.