Youth Villages

www.youthvillages.org
Employer Engaged

YV

I worked at Youth Villages (more than a year)

Pros

My experiences with Youth Villages have been extremely challenging both personally, professionally but also rewarding.
    The daily interactions with working with children will keep you young.

Cons

The hours and schedule of ANY position can be extremely stressful. The sixteen hour shifts on the weekend can really burn you out.

Allow more breaks the job is very stressful.

Slaughterhouse (ChristieCare Oregon)

Former Employee - Behavioral Youth Counselor in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Behavioral Youth Counselor in Portland, OR

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Shared camaraderie with some of the staff, and the level of enthusiasm for the work is always there.

Cons

Company's turnover rate was nearly 90% with all but one other person who went through NEO the same time leaving. There were over 30 new employees just three months ago.

There isn't any strong policies to protect or prevent employees from harm. Employees who remain at the organization are REQUIRED by management to take on extra shifts when burnt-out employees leave. Personally I have worked more weeks with over 60 hours than most. This is a serious BOLI violation.

Employees are also required to spend all "break" and "lunch" times with clients. How is that a break? Honestly you're better off working in the food service industry, at least your physical safety is better off and so is your mental health. FYI pay is $10.50/hour.

Come down from your ivory towers and work a month in our severely underpaid, overworked shoes.

Run away from the Oregon Youth Villages as fast as you can!!

Current Employee - Counselor in Oregon City, OR
    Current Employee - Counselor in Oregon City, OR

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Your coworkers will be some of the best people you will ever meet. Every job you have after working here will feel like you won the lottery.

Cons

Youth Villages treats staff like they are disposable. They will manipulate you, lie to you, intimidate you, pressure you into things. I am not sure they are too concerned with labor laws. There were times I would be mandated to work 19 hour shifts, be given 5 or so hours off, only to work another 16-19 hour shift. I was forced to work more than 70-75 hours a week EVERY WEEK. "The Force For Families" motto does cross over to employee families. Management actually told my coworker to leave her child home alone to work an extra shift. They force you to work 2 extra shifts a week, so you are pretty much working non stop. They treat night staff like sleep is a privilege. I have had some bad jobs before, but I have never had a job treat me as bad or have so little regard for me as a human being.

They give you benefits, but you work so many hours and make so little money, that will never have time or enough money to use them. I had to cancel ever visit to the doctor I made because I was always mandated to work last minute.

Forget about having a social life while you work here. Not gonna happen.

Treat staff like they make a difference and they will. Realize that staff do not choose to work in this field for easy money. We are all here to make a difference. We put our physical and emotional lives on the front end just by walking in the door. Treat your staff with a little dignity and respect and have some gratitude!

Worse experience of my life

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (less than a year)

Pros

not many pros other that it's a job

Cons

The people are immature, the leadership is uncooperative, and anyone will throw you under the bus in order to get a promotion. If you expect to move up, you have to be involved in the cliques of management that form, otherwise dont expect to be acknowledged unless someone needs you to come in to do extra work. The people with degrees, dont even get paid real overtime - while those in positions that dont require a degree, can easily make a $1000 paycheck bi-weekley because they're allowed to have unlimited amounts of overtime pay.
    The children here do have their share of issues, but the focus isnt on their treatment process - the company is more concerned about letting these children have too much fun, and they in turn feel entitled to a host of things.
    Most of the people employed in this company either have no other options, or hate their job. The farther you work away from the kids the happier those employees are (ie. any one in a leadership position)
    If the CEO could be a fly on the wall and actually see what was going on in this company there would be a complete overhaul, or either this company would be non-existent. It has the potential to be really great, but right now it's a complete mess

Be there for your staff, and treat them like people, not your pets that can be overworked to your discreassion.

Leadership Position

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Gain experience for Graduate School, rapid promotions if you start your career with youth villages (not if you come from another company), provides valuable services to kids and families

Cons

Expected to work 60 hrs per week every week, questionable business practices, critical thinking regarding ways to improve services or processes are discouraged, and dysfunctional upper leadership.

Evaluate forms, processes, meetings and reports to increase efficiency. Evaluate your labor practices, average hours worked per week per employee, and reprioritize.

Wasn't for me...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great organization, sincere interest in helping at-risk youth and families

Cons

Very demanding work - hours and hours of documentation outside of hours required for each client; many meetings - some beneficial, some not so much, scheduled every week, interfering with ability to meet demands of client sessions. Most employees lack experience and necessary training - approach seems more of a "fake it til you make it" philosophy, at least with my supervisor.

Wonderful Company to work for...

Current Employee - Operations Staff in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Operations Staff in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Youth Villages has a commitment to providing world-class training programs to their employees. The staff development is very personal and directed toward success and leadership!

The employee benefits are amazing and competitive to some major international organizations.

The organization has a very clear mission and works to ensure that staff stay focused on children and families.

Cons

The mental health industry has a history of high turn over.

it was horrible

Current Employee - Behavioral Youth Counselor in Douglasville, GA
    Current Employee - Behavioral Youth Counselor in Douglasville, GA

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

THe experience you get working with children
    you get to do fun activites

Cons

management suck and they don't care about you/

start caring about your staff

It has a good developmental experience

Former Employee - Teacher Counselor in Memphis, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (more than a year)

Pros

they have great leadership development programs

Cons

it is prone to becoming a psychologically stressful work environment

make it a business priority to develop more incentives for teacher counselors

Waiting for my ticket out of there

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The relationships I have built with my coworkers are positive, uplifting and long lasting. I also enjoy the work with my clients.

Cons

This job is like an abusive relationship. its tears you down and makes you feel like its your own fault. Then it gives you a slight glimpse of hope which makes you think things will change..and it doesn't. Stressful work environment, no help when trying to take vacations, not feeling comfortable to go to management with problems because you will get shamed or get talked to about "time management" which the company does not help you maintain, low pay, management plays favorites and only will invest in you if you drink the company cool aid.

Treat your employees with respect and give them support. We work as a team for the betterment of these kids and their families. When the helpers feel helpless...what kind of impact are we supposed to have on other?