Youth Villages Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

I enjoyed serving adult clients who struggle with mental illness, prior placement and abuse histories

I worked at Youth Villages

Pros

To gain work experience in mental health

Cons

management does not communicate, or manage in a respectful, consistent way that fosters growth

Advice to Management

Hire competent,compassionate managers who care about staff and cliens

Grew attached to the kids and a few co-workers; definitely a place where you can get cynical quickly....

Former Employee - Teacher Counselor in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Teacher Counselor in Memphis, TN

I worked at Youth Villages

Pros

Good way to impact youth; constant need for employees

Cons

Little unity of values amongst staff; jaded workers; conflicting agendas of the company, parents, and DCFS

Advice to Management

Do more internal and surprise auditing of the group homes; you might catch a lot of abuse of power and a lack of adherence to the company's training/policies/mission statement.

A force for families, just not yours.

Former Employee - Foster Care and Family Intervention Specialist in Nashville, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and supervisory staff, great experience working with clients. Pay was all little better than average for this area of the nation.

Cons

Being on call 24-5 is stressing one's family life. Traveling in two to three counties means long driving hours and not getting home until late in the evening. An overwhelming amount of paperwork and documentation.

Advice to Management

Help your employees to not only be a force for clients' families, but also for the workers' own family.

No work/life balance

I worked at Youth Villages

Pros

Hire immediately with little or no experience

Cons

Work hours are longer than 40 hours per week. Since there is no overtime pay, taking time off is frowned upon.

Advice to Management

Be realistic with staff.

High Demands, Low pay and no work life balance.. Run away

I have been working at Youth Villages

Pros

Great co workers, Great families to work with, good experience in the mental health field. You get the experience working with the courts, mental health, interventions, crisis and hospitals.

Cons

There is absolutely no work life balance at all. Sometimes you don't even have time to watch a movie. The leadership staff does not care about you at all. You can go to them and complain about what is going on and nothing changes. You are on call 24/7 Monday- Friday and then you have on call weekends which are terrible and you end up working 14 days straight with no help or sleep. You get home late and night and are put in very dangerous situations. You cant even make plans on a Wednesday night without praying and hoping that you do not get a crisis call. The paper work is ridiculous and the caseloads are outrageous. The leadership staff absolutely does not care about you, your health or your well being. You can take a vacation day and they will still call you and expect you to answer. The wear and tear on your car is ridiculous there are so many things that I have had to fix on my car because of this job. You get paid scraps which is not nearly enough for the 60 hour weeks you work but only get paid for 40 hours.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and actually make changes. Make changes make changes. If you treated your employees better than your turn over rate would be lower. Pay them more, pay them for overtime and don't over work them. Allow them to have some unplug time.

I wouldn't recommend working here in this position.

Former Employee - Behavioral Youth Counselor in Douglasville, GA
    Former Employee - Behavioral Youth Counselor in Douglasville, GA

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Resume builder for my desired field of work. I can't speak to benefits because I declined them. Some of the people I met were nice.

Cons

Supervisors treat employees with extreme disrespect. Scheduling (depending what unit one works on) can be challenging on the body (e.g., our mandatory schedule was to work 40 hours per week , 8 hours each evening Wednesday - Friday (3 PM - 11 PM) followed by 16 hour shift on Saturday (7 AM to 11 PM), leaving little time for sleep between Friday night (after work) and Saturday morning's work shift. The children here can be very aggressive. Much of my time was spent breaking up fights, keeping them from destroying the unit, etc. Very bureaucratic environment. Company does not value it's employees at all.

Advice to Management

Less bureaucracy. Listen to employees, alter work schedule so that employees can rest, ensure employees receive work breaks regardless of how "easy" you believe the shift went. Let go of people, esp. supervisors that are burned out. Have a system in place for employees to give feedback, comments, suggestions.

Started out great, burnt out quick

Current Employee - Behavioral Youth Counselor in Arlington, MA
    Current Employee - Behavioral Youth Counselor in Arlington, MA

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Help out some kids who just need some extra love. See kids go off and do great things. Work with some great people. Occasionally get to have fun with the kids (take them out in the community, play basketball)

Cons

Unsupportive leadership team. Almost impossible to take time off. Required to acquire doctor's notes in order to take sick time. Take overtime but expected to do more. Incredibly low pay for what is expected of you.

Advice to Management

Be supportive of milieu staff. We can't accomplish everything. Work hard to give time off to employees when they are clearly burnt out and actually support staff in seeking to take time off. Pay increases to employees instead of spending thousands on furniture. Give staff 15 minute breaks and require hour breaks during doubles instead of working staff like dogs. Require day and night staff to pick up open slots when milieu staff call out -- instead of leaving milieu staff understaffed.

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!

Current Employee - Counselor in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Counselor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The children that you work with and the colleagues/coworkers on your team who know EXACTLY what you're going through are the best parts of this job.

Cons

Where do I begin? This is a TERRIBLE place to work. Upper management couldn't care less about their staff. They don't care about you being sick, whether or not there's a holiday, whether you go on vacation...NOTHING. All they care about is that you get all of your hours in (even if it's a short week) and that you complete the ginormous amount of documentation in an unrealistic timeframe-under any means necessary. I read the negative reviews on line before accepting this job, and accepted it anyway. I was desperate. But even desperation will not keep me here. After less than 4 months, I am leaving. I would advise ANYONE considering working here to reconsider. If having a life outside of work, and having peace of mind are important to you- DO NOT WORK HERE. If being supported by your supervisor, being taken seriously by upper management, and being compensated fairly for your work are important to you- DO NOT WORK HERE. The pay is miserable. The wear and tear and mileage put on your car is absurd. Listen, this is literally the worst place I have ever worked for in my entire life. I've been out of graduate school, have held my degree, and have been working in the field for almost a decade, and I can honestly say that I'd rather work as a janitor in a jail (no offense to janitors who work in jails; I'm sure you all are treated WAY better, and are WAY happier with what you do than the employees at YV) than work for Youth Villages. OVER. IT.

Advice to Management

SUPPORT YOUR STAFF rather than bombarding them with unrealistic expectations and leaving them to struggle through it on their own. Provide ADEQUATE training to supervisors, so that they know how to PROPERLY train their new staff. I really could go on and on, but honestly, what's the point? YV has been getting horrible reviews for YEARS and nothing has changed. If they really cared about how their staff felt, then they would do something different. All they care about is the money. Not the staff. Not the families. Just the money.

This place almost took my soul

Former Employee - Teacher Counselor
    Former Employee - Teacher Counselor

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited overtime, some of the coworkers are great, you get exercise from running around without a break for 16 hours

Cons

This place over works every staff member until they are so burned out they have no choice but to quit. Mandated overtime every week... And if you work day shift like I did they will con you into staying for doubles once you get there despite however assertive you may be. The environment is not at ALL therapeutic for children and they utilize an old and not evidenced based treatment model.... The kids usually get worse not better....abusive treatment almost

Advice to Management

Update your treatment model and give your staff members BREAKS and do not force them into ot every week

Behavioral Youth Counselor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Youth Villages

Pros

Amazing co-workers, good for gaining experience for other jobs

Cons

work-social life balance is non-existent, mandatory overtime, no breaks, highly stressful, low supervisor support

RSS Feed </> Embed