Youth Villages

Updated November 28, 2014
2.8

Youth Villages CEO Patrick Lawler
Patrick Lawler

Pros
  • Youth Villages always works in the best interest of the children and families they serve (in 10 reviews)

• Our frontline staff and top leadership work extra hard to make a difference every day (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent and they blame you if you cannot make it better (in 18 reviews)

• Long hours and unexpected emergencies related to the children running away (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Wasn't for me...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great organization, sincere interest in helping at-risk youth and families

Cons

Very demanding work - hours and hours of documentation outside of hours required for each client; many meetings - some beneficial, some not so much, scheduled every week, interfering with ability to meet demands of client sessions. Most employees lack experience and necessary training - approach seems more of a "fake it til you make it" philosophy, at least with my supervisor.

it was horrible

Current Employee - Behavioral Youth Counselor in Douglasville, GA
    Current Employee - Behavioral Youth Counselor in Douglasville, GA

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

THe experience you get working with children
    you get to do fun activites

Cons

management suck and they don't care about you/

start caring about your staff

Waiting for my ticket out of there

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The relationships I have built with my coworkers are positive, uplifting and long lasting. I also enjoy the work with my clients.

Cons

This job is like an abusive relationship. its tears you down and makes you feel like its your own fault. Then it gives you a slight glimpse of hope which makes you think things will change..and it doesn't. Stressful work environment, no help when trying to take vacations, not feeling comfortable to go to management with problems because you will get shamed or get talked to about "time management" which the company does not help you maintain, low pay, management plays favorites and only will invest in you if you drink the company cool aid.

Treat your employees with respect and give them support. We work as a team for the betterment of these kids and their families. When the helpers feel helpless...what kind of impact are we supposed to have on other?

Youth Villages High School

Current Employee - Overnight Teacher Counselor in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Overnight Teacher Counselor in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The sad part about this is that there aren't any pros. The check would have to be the only pro.

Cons

The leadership cares about the leadership. It's a popularity vote when it comes to promotions and quarterly awards. If you are applying for the Teacher Counselor position look for another job now. You do not get paid enough for the work they have you doing.

Treat employees other than leadership equally. Think about others lives outside of Youth Villages

Good Job

Current Employee - Teacher Counselor in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Teacher Counselor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Low pay is the single worst issue

I stayed way longer than I should have

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Growing company, meaningful mission, great people doing the actual work. Upper management makes good money and great benefits. Due to fast national growth, lots of opportunity for advancement on the direct care side.

Cons

Plantation mentality, only wants young, inexperienced workers who can be molded to their corporate line. Also, front line workers are expected to work horrendous hours with little to no time off and little pay. Turnover on the front lines is off the chart - at the time I left they were lucky to keep folks for six months.

Please treat your workers like human beings.

Good PD, bad pay, manipulative

I have been working at Youth Villages

Pros

Good experience for young college grads to put on their resume. Good professional development. Definitely looks good on paper.

Cons

Low pay, little to no overtime pay depending on the position, they'll work you to death.

Pay your employees what they're worth.

Family intervention specialist is hell

Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Madison, IN
    Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Madison, IN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Making a difference and building a relationship with families, youths, and community members.

Sometimes the flexible schedule works in your favor and you've got an afternoon or morning free.

Cons

You are literally never off. Even on the weekend when someone else is on call, the families will forget and call you. And when you're on call, you're expected to make calls and sometimes in person visits up to two hours away to check on families.

And seriously just forget about work/life boundaries. I missed a text message from a family because I was sleeping and got chewed out by my supervisor because I should have woken up for it. I had to go out at 11pm at night at least every week to check on a family and they were an hour away.

Stop working the front line staff to death.

Company needs to make major changes in their treatment of employees

Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Memphis, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing *stated* work mission and values (This is why I wanted to work for the company).
    Great relationships with coworkers and many opportunities to collaborate with other service providers.

Cons

Horrible at following through with mission and values. Work-life balance is non-existent and they blame you if you cannot make it better. Pay is minimal and raises are few and far between. Everyone is over worked and miserable, and these are your friends that you want to help but don't have time to help. Twelve hour days and no ability to get ahead even for the most organized person. The people that stick around tend to be ones that owe the company due to further pursuit in education or retirement savings. They immorally (decision has to be made in front of coworkers in effort to get jeans days) guilt you into giving a percentage of your already tiny salary back to the company. Success means a kid that did not get in trouble, not actual turn-arounds because you didn't have enough time with families to actually make these changes (three months max to make a long term impact with families who don't even want you around half the time). Parents are guilted into receiving your help by telling them a report to CPS will be made if they do not follow through with services.
    Also, I remember reading these reviews and thinking people were crazy and maybe they were the problem. I hope future readers do not make that same decision.

Overall this company has a great face but does not follow through with promises. I was thrilled to get a job there, felt guilty when I was stressed out, and finally realized it wasn't just me. They treat employees as a dime-a-dozen, you are simply replaceable if you aren't going to alter your life for the job. I am well educated, have been successful in previous jobs, but felt like a failure in this job. If they were honest about their job turn-over rates it would be statistically obvious they do not treat employees well.

Never again.

I worked at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

I loved the actual time I spent with my clients and the work I was able to do with them. You are so involved with their lives, meeting with them so many times a week, that the relationship alone creates such a positive impact on their lives. I enjoyed the meaningful helping relationships I was able to create with my clients and their families as well as watching them grow and evolve towards a more harmonious sense of self and home environment. I truly miss that. It was the only thing that was hard to leave. Very very hard.

Cons

There are no boundaries with this job. I felt like I was working ALL THE TIME. Probably because I was. You are on call to your clients 24 hours a day during the work week and around once per month you are also on call for everyone's clients through the weekend, resulting in 24/7 being on the clock and ready to work with no time to regroup and focus on self care or have a life of your own outside of work. I've often heard my fellow employees close to tears speaking of how they feel the organization expects them to prioritize their client families at the cost of neglecting their own families. Suddenly the reasonable salary for this field becomes very unreasonable. Another major boundary issue is do not expect to be using a work line at this organization because all of your contact is through your personal cell phone, often via texting with your clients. Anyone who is familiar with clinical settings would know that this requirement is a complete and utter 'no no' in the field. In addition, the paperwork is absolutely insane. Now I know what you're thinking.. paperwork is always insane in this field. I agree. Paperwork is going to be intense no matter where you go. But I've worked at multiple different agencies, so I am not new to the field, and I can tell you honestly that yv's paperwork responsibilities are above and beyond the standard frustrations. I think besides unmanageable and constant deadlines, what made the paperwork so frustrating was that it was so obviously redundant and often unnecessary which became very discouraging and unmotivating when you found yourself frequently working into the night, losing time with your loved ones as well as time for self care. I do want to note that perhaps some of these major concerns can be mitigated depending on the quality of your relationship with your supervisor and/or your supervisor's management style. So for me, my lacking of a consistent and reasonable supervisor/supervisee relationship undoubtedly exacerbated these issues. With that said, I'm willing to admit that perhaps things aren't so bad at every yv office. However, the overall issues that I have outlined will surely still be present to varying degrees.

Don't just pretend to care about your employees well-being. Actually care. And show it by responding to their feedback in a positive, constructive manner. The management at youth villages likes to put on airs telling you how much they care about employee feedback by encouraging specialists and the like to complete comment cards stationed at all area offices to be reviewed at "town hall" meetings. This and other things including the fact that they truly do promote from within.. i'm pretty sure most everyone in management started as a specialist.. made me feel like I could expect great support at this organization when I first started. Unfortunately, I quickly came to realize that this was just for show. Youth villages management, you can not ignore your high turnover rate. And forcing your new employees to sign off stating that if they leave before a year that they will be responsible for all costs of their MANDATORY trainings and pre employment physical is not the right and ethical way around it. Apply the same listening and empathy skills specialists are to use with clients. Specialists are overworked and set up to fail by being held to impossible standards. You will continue to lose good people who truly care about the work that they do and aren't just there to climb the corporate ladder as long as you continue to run them into the ground. Which is such a shame because the ideals YV obviously began with are wonderful.