Yum!

Yum! Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Yum! Chairman, President, and CEO David C. Novak

David C. Novak

Pros:
  • "There is some movement towards work/life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Recognition culture is real and alive"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Little to no room for advancement and raises"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Career advancement is not clearly defined"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Nice place to intern but be prepared to do the dirty work.

Intern R&D (Former Employee)

I worked at Yum!

ProsLearned a lot from my team and manager. Treated me as part of the team even though I were only there for 3 months as an intern. Very open workplace office. Met full time scientists that went to same college for network. Had regular interaction with management. Great company culture.

ConsDrama in other departments. During the three months I were there I saw 3 upper level managers that had worked for Yum for over 10 years be let go. Lots of politics. If your not with the in crowd be prepared to be demoted or moved. Saw this happen several times. Intern pay not too good.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your scientists that are doing the constant product evaluations. Check up on resturants, their quality standards do not match yours.

Multibrand Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Yum!

ProsFast-paced, meet a lot of people

ConsPoor upper-level management, low pay for associates means constant turnover and high expectations of them for too-little pay. I managed a multi-brand concept store and it was an epic failure.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify, organize, consistently train

Overall good place to work .. but image has become more important than results.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Yum!

ProsGreat competent team members. Team members are dedicated to doing a good job! good recognition culture .. but can be superfacial.

Cons10+ yrs ago great place to work. Your efforts were recognized and rewarded. Since then the good old boy network kicked in. Once someone puts you in a box .. its never getting out. They also use terms like going for breakthrough results to get people to sacrifice there children to the work place.

Advice to Senior ManagementImage is not the way to determine leadership. You need to look at accomplishments of individuals.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

YRI is Good for some...not for all

I have been working at Yum!

ProsChallenge, pay, diversity, job experiences

ConsPlace is highly political; rules don't apply to HR; promotes bad behavior - the bigger the stink you make, the more you get away with; YRi Finance is infamous for being a burn 'em and churn 'em group - (particularly now); investment in great innovation a waste because company lacks effective Leadership - no directon at alllll

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on company's key priorities and listen to the people...not HR.

Working hard doesn't give you a better pay.

Cashier (Former Employee)
Somersworth, NH

I worked at Yum!

ProsIf you want to cook this can be a good place to get experience because you'll have to learn how to fry. It's basic and a good for beginners.

ConsI worked hard there, I did everything that was asked of me and picked up other peoples slack when because they wouldn't do there job. I did this in hopes that my hard work would be noticed and because I like organization and cleanliness. I also trained incoming employees and after a short while was able do multiple jobs there. Whle the manager and other employees took smoke brakes when we had no customers I stayed inside to make sure that if any customers came in they would be taken cared of.

When they hired a new person once again I was asked to train the trainee and found out a few weeks after her being there that she was making more then me. I was more experienced, worked hard, a team player and she had next to no experience and was making more then me. I wasn't disliked there because everyone that worked there all hung out or went to parties after work together from time to time, even the manager. So there was no reason competence wise or personality wise that they would not want to pay me more over a new trainee. It was greed.

If they could get away with paying someone that works hard a small amount they were willing to do it. They did not value anyone as an employee and because of it I quite. When I told them I was quiting they offered me a raise that would be the same as the new trainee. When I turned down there offer they offered an additional 25 cent raise. I again turned them down and left there for good. Had they valued me and rewarded me for my hard work I would've stayed, but that was not the case.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue and reward your hard working employees and you will have less stress in your life and theres. Business will be better and customers will be more satisfied.

Satisfied

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Yum!

ProsThere is a strong culture of teamwork, collaboration, and positve energy. Employees are supportive of one another and there is very little backstabbing. Also, management is pretty understanding about time off for family or personal reasons.

ConsAdvancements and promotions are kind of a mystery. Everyone's performance is measured by achievement of goals, etc., but there is definitely an undefined subjective element which determines which people get promoted faster.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish some sort of process to rotate talent through jobs at the brand level and corporate. Also, better training resources to non-restaurant level employees.

Yum...How we work together spirit doesn't link with how we treat our people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDiversity

fake adverstising
too political

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your folks better
help them accomplish goals

Great pay but no advancement

Associate Manager, Architecture and Design (Former Employee)

I worked at Yum!

ProsGreat pay especially when compared to other jobs in the AEC market.
Good facilities - gym, day care, food court, and such.
Recognition is sincere and appreciated in most departments, but not all.

ConsNo room for advancement - all senior level people so unless someone quits or gets hit by a bus no room to advance.
Coaching and recognition is talked about but not practiced.
Way behind on the tech curve - if it can be done in excel than its probably not done at YRI.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more. Talk less.

What have you done for me lately?

I have been working at Yum!

ProsGreat work-life balance... almost like a cruise ship. It is a fun place to work! Pay is on par with the community and the benefits and 401(k) match are definately a value-add.

ConsThat being said, it's more about who you know that what you know. Mediocrity is more often rewarded than true success.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieving in people doesn't mean bleeding them dry, intellectually, then asking "what have you done for me lately." I've observed 3 rounds of "strategic realignments" where tremendous amounts of corporate knowledge have been walked out the door.

Yum fosters a culture where if you don't perform to expectations you will be managed out.

Manager Strategic Planning and Business Analysis (Current Employee)

I have been working at Yum!

ProsSome really smart people who like to have fun. Overall the teams have a pretty good work life balance. If you are ambitious and ask there are a lot of senior leaders who take an interest in developing those who work for them.

ConsIt can be a demanding work environment. If you are coming from a small business environment the big business politics can be overwhelming.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best form of recognition isn't giving out a rubber chicken, or walking teeth. These forms are nice but having a senior leader ask for and value your opinion on a tough business case is far more rewarding.

Worked for Yum!? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yum! reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Yum! CEO David C. Novak. All 95 reviews posted anonymously by Yum! employees.