Yum!

Yum! Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Yum! Chairman, President, and CEO David C. Novak

David C. Novak

Pros
  • There is some movement towards work/life balance(in 9 reviews)

• Recognition culture is real and alive(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no room for advancement and raises(in 3 reviews)

• Work Life balance could be a big issue(in 3 reviews)

Multibrand Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsFast-paced, meet a lot of people

ConsPoor upper-level management, low pay for associates means constant turnover and high expectations of them for too-little pay. I managed a multi-brand concept store and it was an epic failure.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify, organize, consistently train

YRI is Good for some...not for all

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsChallenge, pay, diversity, job experiences

ConsPlace is highly political; rules don't apply to HR; promotes bad behavior - the bigger the stink you make, the more you get away with; YRi Finance is infamous for being a burn 'em and churn 'em group - (particularly now); investment in great innovation a waste because company lacks effective Leadership - no directon at alllll

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on company's key priorities and listen to the people...not HR.

Working hard doesn't give you a better pay.

Cashier (Former Employee) Somersworth, NH

ProsIf you want to cook this can be a good place to get experience because you'll have to learn how to fry. It's basic and a good for beginners.

ConsI worked hard there, I did everything that was asked of me and picked up other peoples slack when because they wouldn't do there job. I did this in hopes that my hard work would be noticed and because I like organization and cleanliness. I also trained incoming employees and after a short while was able do multiple jobs there. Whle the manager and other employees took smoke brakes when we had no customers I stayed inside to make sure that if any customers came in they would be taken cared of.

When they hired a new person once again I was asked to train the trainee and found out a few weeks after her being there that she was making more then me. I was more experienced, worked hard, a team player and she had next to no experience and was making more then me. I wasn't disliked there because everyone that worked there all hung out or went to parties after work together from time to time, even the manager. So there was no reason competence wise or personality wise that they would not want to pay me more over a new trainee. It was greed.

If they could get away with paying someone that works hard a small amount they were willing to do it. They did not value anyone as an employee and because of it I quite. When I told them I was quiting they offered me a raise that would be the same as the new trainee. When I turned down there offer they offered an additional 25 cent raise. I again turned them down and left there for good. Had they valued me and rewarded me for my hard work I would've stayed, but that was not the case.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue and reward your hard working employees and you will have less stress in your life and theres. Business will be better and customers will be more satisfied.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Satisfied

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThere is a strong culture of teamwork, collaboration, and positve energy. Employees are supportive of one another and there is very little backstabbing. Also, management is pretty understanding about time off for family or personal reasons.

ConsAdvancements and promotions are kind of a mystery. Everyone's performance is measured by achievement of goals, etc., but there is definitely an undefined subjective element which determines which people get promoted faster.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish some sort of process to rotate talent through jobs at the brand level and corporate. Also, better training resources to non-restaurant level employees.

Yum...How we work together spirit doesn't link with how we treat our people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

fake adverstising
    too political

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your folks better
    help them accomplish goals

Great pay but no advancement

Associate Manager, Architecture and Design (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat pay especially when compared to other jobs in the AEC market.
    Good facilities - gym, day care, food court, and such.
    Recognition is sincere and appreciated in most departments, but not all.

ConsNo room for advancement - all senior level people so unless someone quits or gets hit by a bus no room to advance.
    Coaching and recognition is talked about but not practiced.
    Way behind on the tech curve - if it can be done in excel than its probably not done at YRI.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more. Talk less.

What have you done for me lately?

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsGreat work-life balance... almost like a cruise ship. It is a fun place to work! Pay is on par with the community and the benefits and 401(k) match are definately a value-add.

ConsThat being said, it's more about who you know that what you know. Mediocrity is more often rewarded than true success.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieving in people doesn't mean bleeding them dry, intellectually, then asking "what have you done for me lately." I've observed 3 rounds of "strategic realignments" where tremendous amounts of corporate knowledge have been walked out the door.

Yum fosters a culture where if you don't perform to expectations you will be managed out.

Manager Strategic Planning and Business Analysis (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsSome really smart people who like to have fun. Overall the teams have a pretty good work life balance. If you are ambitious and ask there are a lot of senior leaders who take an interest in developing those who work for them.

ConsIt can be a demanding work environment. If you are coming from a small business environment the big business politics can be overwhelming.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best form of recognition isn't giving out a rubber chicken, or walking teeth. These forms are nice but having a senior leader ask for and value your opinion on a tough business case is far more rewarding.

Not cool

Barista (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Pros10 dollar lunch stipend was nice

Constrash talking behind people's backs
    unorganized
    long hours
    limited / no breaks except lunch

Advice to Senior Managementget organized please and praise your employees for their work

LJS and A&W

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsWork life balance. Half day and casual Fridays are nice. Great cafeteria and special events with the 3 brands in Louisville. Great benefits.

ConsPay is very poor for the area. Little to no room for advancement and raises. Bonuses are small and laughable.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo better recruit and not keep the revolving door theory, this is a franchise run company and they are getting tired of being told what to do by a different person every 2 years.

Worked for Yum!? Contribute to the Community!