Yum!

Updated December 8, 2014
3.3

Yum! Chairman, President, and CEO David C. Novak
David C. Novak

Pros
  • The work life balance is the job's biggest perks (in 10 reviews)

• Recognition culture is real and alive (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no room for advancement and raises (in 3 reviews)

• Work Life balance could be a big issue (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall good place to work .. but image has become more important than results.

I worked at Yum!

Pros

Great competent team members. Team members are dedicated to doing a good job! good recognition culture .. but can be superfacial.

Cons

10+ yrs ago great place to work. Your efforts were recognized and rewarded. Since then the good old boy network kicked in. Once someone puts you in a box .. its never getting out. They also use terms like going for breakthrough results to get people to sacrifice there children to the work place.

Image is not the way to determine leadership. You need to look at accomplishments of individuals.

Multibrand Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Yum!

Pros

Fast-paced, meet a lot of people

Cons

Poor upper-level management, low pay for associates means constant turnover and high expectations of them for too-little pay. I managed a multi-brand concept store and it was an epic failure.

Simplify, organize, consistently train

YRI is Good for some...not for all

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Yum!

Pros

Challenge, pay, diversity, job experiences

Cons

Place is highly political; rules don't apply to HR; promotes bad behavior - the bigger the stink you make, the more you get away with; YRi Finance is infamous for being a burn 'em and churn 'em group - (particularly now); investment in great innovation a waste because company lacks effective Leadership - no directon at alllll

Focus on company's key priorities and listen to the people...not HR.

Working hard doesn't give you a better pay.

Former Employee - Cashier in Somersworth, NH
    Former Employee - Cashier in Somersworth, NH

I worked at Yum!

Pros

If you want to cook this can be a good place to get experience because you'll have to learn how to fry. It's basic and a good for beginners.

Cons

I worked hard there, I did everything that was asked of me and picked up other peoples slack when because they wouldn't do there job. I did this in hopes that my hard work would be noticed and because I like organization and cleanliness. I also trained incoming employees and after a short while was able do multiple jobs there. Whle the manager and other employees took smoke brakes when we had no customers I stayed inside to make sure that if any customers came in they would be taken cared of.

When they hired a new person once again I was asked to train the trainee and found out a few weeks after her being there that she was making more then me. I was more experienced, worked hard, a team player and she had next to no experience and was making more then me. I wasn't disliked there because everyone that worked there all hung out or went to parties after work together from time to time, even the manager. So there was no reason competence wise or personality wise that they would not want to pay me more over a new trainee. It was greed.

If they could get away with paying someone that works hard a small amount they were willing to do it. They did not value anyone as an employee and because of it I quite. When I told them I was quiting they offered me a raise that would be the same as the new trainee. When I turned down there offer they offered an additional 25 cent raise. I again turned them down and left there for good. Had they valued me and rewarded me for my hard work I would've stayed, but that was not the case.

Value and reward your hard working employees and you will have less stress in your life and theres. Business will be better and customers will be more satisfied.

Satisfied

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Yum!

Pros

There is a strong culture of teamwork, collaboration, and positve energy. Employees are supportive of one another and there is very little backstabbing. Also, management is pretty understanding about time off for family or personal reasons.

Cons

Advancements and promotions are kind of a mystery. Everyone's performance is measured by achievement of goals, etc., but there is definitely an undefined subjective element which determines which people get promoted faster.

Establish some sort of process to rotate talent through jobs at the brand level and corporate. Also, better training resources to non-restaurant level employees.

Yum...How we work together spirit doesn't link with how we treat our people

I worked at Yum!

Pros

Diversity
    Global company
    Growth
     fast paced
    nice quality of life

Cons

mediocre leadership
    inward focus
    unhealthy
    fake adverstising
    too political

Treat your folks better
    help them accomplish goals

Great pay but no advancement

Former Employee - Associate Manager, Architecture and Design in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Manager, Architecture and Design in Dallas, TX

I worked at Yum!

Pros

Great pay especially when compared to other jobs in the AEC market.
    Good facilities - gym, day care, food court, and such.
    Recognition is sincere and appreciated in most departments, but not all.

Cons

No room for advancement - all senior level people so unless someone quits or gets hit by a bus no room to advance.
    Coaching and recognition is talked about but not practiced.
    Way behind on the tech curve - if it can be done in excel than its probably not done at YRI.

Listen more. Talk less.

What have you done for me lately?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Yum!

Pros

Great work-life balance... almost like a cruise ship. It is a fun place to work! Pay is on par with the community and the benefits and 401(k) match are definately a value-add.

Cons

That being said, it's more about who you know that what you know. Mediocrity is more often rewarded than true success.

Believing in people doesn't mean bleeding them dry, intellectually, then asking "what have you done for me lately." I've observed 3 rounds of "strategic realignments" where tremendous amounts of corporate knowledge have been walked out the door.

Yum fosters a culture where if you don't perform to expectations you will be managed out.

Current Employee - Manager Strategic Planning and Business Analysis in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Yum!

Pros

Some really smart people who like to have fun. Overall the teams have a pretty good work life balance. If you are ambitious and ask there are a lot of senior leaders who take an interest in developing those who work for them.

Cons

It can be a demanding work environment. If you are coming from a small business environment the big business politics can be overwhelming.

The best form of recognition isn't giving out a rubber chicken, or walking teeth. These forms are nice but having a senior leader ask for and value your opinion on a tough business case is far more rewarding.

Not cool

Former Employee - Barista in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Barista in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Yum!

Pros

10 dollar lunch stipend was nice

Cons

trash talking behind people's backs
    unorganized
    long hours
    limited / no breaks except lunch

get organized please and praise your employees for their work

Yum! Photos