Yuma Regional Medical Center

Review

Former Employee - Nurse Extern I  in  Yuma, AZ
    Former Employee - Nurse Extern I in Yuma, AZ

I worked at Yuma Regional Medical Center part-time for more than a year

Pros

oppurtunities, compensation, promotions, I was offered a full time nursing job when I graduated which unfortunately I had to turn down to move

Cons

the emergency department was lacking in resources

Okay place to work, very good for Yuma

Former Employee - Patient Financial Representative  in  Yuma, AZ
    Former Employee - Patient Financial Representative in Yuma, AZ

I worked at Yuma Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

Friendly people, great work hours. Company perks such as discounted vacation rates, massages during work hours on occasions.

Cons

All paid time off is calculated together (sick time, personal time, & vacation). It is hard to accumulate time off.

Very Political and full of nepotism

I worked at Yuma Regional Medical Center

Pros

Only medical facility in the desolate region, major employer to the community. Have a few great employees who are dedicated to their patient population.

Cons

Expect push back to great ideas if they're not attributed to whoever is trying to out edge everyone else. Swollen egos is the order of the day which is almost everyone in management because they have never been exposed to other regions other than where they were raised, went to school and the epitome of their career is working at this hospital. I feel for the people in the community-not so much for the snowbirds who often end up here if they're sick because they don't have to leave with it. Most just come to draw a paycheck.

Weed out the incompetent management employees at your Headquarters that have a clout in your organization. The desire to have too much control over employee affairs is ruining your company's reputation as a great place to work. Weed out nepotism and be open to ideas that are new.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I work for a great company who have an amazing mission for our community and treat their employees great!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Yuma, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yuma, AZ

I have been working at Yuma Regional Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Mission of the company, quality of equipment, they get things done, progressive, aggressive. They are one of, if not the best employer in Yuma.

Cons

It's been a hard time for the healthcare profession and the company can't do for their employees what they used to, but they try. Need to remember consistency.

Remember your employees throughout your busy day. Always stay human!

Trauma 2

I worked at Yuma Regional Medical Center

Pros

Great learning experience and open to new grads and travelers. There's a lot to see in the ER because it's the only hospital in town.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of. Lunch is still 30 minutes for a 12 hour shift, which I think needs changing everywhere.

Employee satisfaction is always a plus :)

Great place to work even as a student

Former Employee - Nurse Extern I  in  Yuma, AZ
    Former Employee - Nurse Extern I in Yuma, AZ

I worked at Yuma Regional Medical Center as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people that I worked with on the floor are helpful and supportive esp. to students and new RNs. The supervisors always have time to answer questions and guide you when they are able to.

Cons

The usual gossip, drama and politics involved when you have too many cooks stirring the pot.

Listen to your employees. They are your most valuable asset.

used to be a great place to work

Current Employee - Support Services  in  Yuma, AZ
    Current Employee - Support Services in Yuma, AZ

I have been working at Yuma Regional Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

there are many long term employees like myself that really care for the patients and the organization

Cons

the atmosphere is very tense and stressful, employees dont know if their jobs are going to be eliminated, leadership only tell us half truths, people do not trust leadership specially our ceo, he is an accountant by trade all he cares is about numbers not people ,the feeling there in the hospital is, including a lot of nurses and techs is that we have become just a number that can be erase at any time, they took away our pension plan without any notice,they cut our employee illness bank in half without any notice, there is talk of t more lay offs i would describe the enviroment at the hospital as extremely stressful and not very good as a place to work at this time.

remember we are people some of us are been at the hospital for many years, we care for the hospital we have families to support, we help the community, do not treat us like a commodity

Don't work for the IT Division, the grass isn't greener on the other side

Former Employee - EHR Project  in  Yuma, AZ
    Former Employee - EHR Project in Yuma, AZ

I worked at Yuma Regional Medical Center

Pros

115 degree weather in the summer and 70 degrees in the winter. No traffic in the summer.

Cons

The IT Division uses an autocratic style of leadership and the culture is set in stone. You can provide ideas, constructive criticism, and innovation, but it will fall to death ears. Perhaps the worst thing about working at YRMC, is the lack of communication. Extremely poor communication between management and employees as well as between departments within the IT Division. If you like being micromanaged, told in public you are wrong and your opinion doesn’t count, this is the place for you. IT leadership is completely dysfunctional due to the CIO and the immediate directors. The CIO is passive aggressive and always plays his happy game face when he meets you. Behind closed doors, you will be in for a ride. Everything you put together from reports, executive summary reports, Power Point slides, will be securitized top to bottom for proper grammar, formant, and tone. If he sees one spelling or grammar mistake, it will be rejected and you will have to wait another 2 months before your funding or project to be approved. If you have a question for him, typically the answer is, I don’t know or it is too early to think about it. So, if you are the proactive type of person, this isn’t the place for you.

If you liked being lied to or have the “rules” changed midway in the game, this is the place for you. They will promise you this and that and then all of sudden, they will deny what you are talking about. A good example is your job description. They will use “other jobs as assigned” to their advantage. Don’t be surprised you will be required to perform a another job role without additional pay or change in job titles. Oh yeah, once you get sucked in and then want to bring your case to HR, think again, they have already said in public they side with IT leadership. Not enough staff, too bad they will say and will tell you that you signed up as an exempt employee or the job offer said you will work overtime as necessary.

How about training opportunities? You will receive training with one caveat, you are required to sign a contract. If your training is over a certain amount, you will be required to stay with the organization for 2 years or be forced to pay back the training costs (training cost, material, flight, car, food, etc). So, can you decline training? Nope, if your job requires specific training, you either sign the contract, quit, or be fired. Will my employment offer have this spelled out? Nope. How about the competitive salary they advertise and they look at market trends. Nope. It’s all a lie. They say they buy market data and make sure everyone is compensated fairly. Coming into any IT department, you will be offered the lowest end of the pay range and you will not be able to negotiate. If you really want to work here, I advise you to talk to recruiters for salary ranges before you accept that offer.

Okay, you are probably thinking, this guy must be really disgruntled? Nope. I just want to save you the trouble from going through the pain that everyone is suffering in the IT Division. As of this writing, approx. 23% of the 100+ staff have left after 1 year. Most of them have been voluntary terminations and small handfuls have been fired (mostly supervisors). The departments in the IT Division are so short handed and now are hiring contractors. When people leave an organization, it says volumes that something is not right. As YRMC’s CIO will correctly say, people don’t leave organizations, they leave their boss. Will the HR recruiter say this. Nope. Her response will be, YRMC has many employees that have been working here for several decades. This is true but not of the IT Division. And why do the other people stay at the hospital for so long? YRMC is one of the highest paying employers in Yuma, the only hospital, and their family lives in Yuma. YRMC has no competition and that is part of the reason why hospital leadership in general is poor. There is no incentive to change organizational habits or culture. The current CEO is the former CFO. Well, guess what, everything is the organization is financially driven. Patient safety and quality takes the back seat.

In summary, if you just like being a lifer, don’t like making decisions, like being micromanaged, have no potential to grow, have to sign your life away to attend required training, earn a below market salary, enjoy ridiculous challenges, spending hours on end and having your work being scrapped, endless buffet of meaningless meetings with no agendas, no project plans, high employee turnover, chaos, assignments due at EOD, working lots of overtime, being demeaned, and no support, this is the place for you.

Please, please, please communicate. If you are going to hire someone for their expertise, use their expertise and respect them. If not, you can just hire monkeys. Compensate your employees fairly. An annual flat percentage increase for everyone doesn't cut it. Giving the same pay raise to a slacker is a major insult to the person who works hard and takes pride in their work. Don't lie on stats. If the Division isn't doing well, report it as it is. How can the department improve if the numbers are tweaked? There is no integrity in doing so and everyone looses. If you are going to make a promise, keep it. There needs to be more accountability across the board. The Division needs to clean of its act. We can be a world-class organization but it all starts with our leaders.

Worked for Yuma Regional Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!