Z Gallerie

Updated November 18, 2014
Updated November 18, 2014
2.6

Joe Zeiden

Pros
  • Good employee discount and management tries to be flexible with the schedule (in 7 reviews)

• My store was flexible with schedules, good discounts, great vibe and atmosphere, and fun place to work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • User unfriendly cash register software (in 5 reviews)

• And don't get me started on Customer Service (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Culture

I have been working at Z Gallerie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The customers are the best. The product is unique and good for the price point.

Cons

The corporate office at times can be very indecisive and inconsistent.

Not a very good place to work!

Former Employee - Retail Sales in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I worked at Z Gallerie part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Meeting people, helping people with design choices

Cons

compensation should be higher, commisions should be offered!

should offer hours for woking moms

If you're ok with working hard for no pay.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at Z Gallerie part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you enjoy a low-key, sometimes busy setting with little bothering by the management or communication, this is for you. The excitement of the interior design aspect goes away as they want you to push sales, but if you enjoy talking to people for the sake of it you'll enjoy it.

Cons

-The people are passive-agressive, especially the general managers and above.
    -The pay is bread crumbs, and there is no chance of raises until you have been there for a few years at least.
    -The managers speak to the associates and eachother about eachother, and there is no real sense of trust.
    -The merchandise is very expensive, and most of it can be found at Home Goods for half the price, even less!
    -The employee discount is only 30%, and the quality of the merchandise is horrible, usually coming in shipments already broken.
    -The job itself is boring, and you will be standing around picking your nails for 70% of it.
    -Associates do not have many responsibilities, such as cash register counting or opening the loading door.
    -Most stores are placed in high-end retail areas, and many employees including myself would agree that the people are beyond-snobby, even rude or crazy.

Communicate assertively. Pay attention to bad managers beneath you and keep employees in trust and aware that you care about them.

Fun times, in a great atmosphere!

I worked at Z Gallerie

Pros

Atmosphere, discount. Fun working conditions, great clientèle.

Cons

None that I can think of.

The management at the time of my employment was pretty awesome.

Fun place to work but there's a severe lack of talent retention!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Z Gallerie full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The products are great and there's always something new! It's great fun assisting clients with their design needs and helping them develop a vision for what they ultimately would like their space to look like. It's fun and creative and there are always new ideas to explore and share with clients. I ABSOLUTELY loved and still love the group I worked with. The best thing about this job is meeting new clients and developing extensive relationships with them over the years thus building that trust and friendship that fosters relationship selling.

Cons

The frustrating thing is that there always seemed to be stock outs which typically cost you the sale because the clients or designers could not wait a long period of time for the merchandise. Another con is as a sales associate you do of course have sales goals, which are sometimes lofty, that you have to meet yet get no additional money. Before the recession, the company offered a commission on sales and since the recession to current the commission has yet to be reinstated. There is basically no room to move up, so my benefit from working there was my personal growth in sales and client development. One of the biggest cons is the lack of competitive compensation for which the company ultimately loses their best talent.

My advice to top management (above store management), realize the talent that you have and foster that talent. Create succession plans within the company for talent to be moved up such as sales associates to become associate manager, to assistant store manager, store manger, and so on so forth up the management chain. Promote growth and foster loyalty in the company by promoting and hiring MAINLY from within the company. You have and have had many exemplary sales associates whom have built extensive lists of clients whom typically tend to spend more on average with each return visit and higher spend with THEIR sales associate that they've cultivated a relationship with. Due to the fact that there is basically no room for career growth, you lose these amazing sales associates and talent and thus hurt your own business because companies are extremely exhilarated to HIRE us once we leave Z Gallerie. When you have thoroughbreds on hand, you treat them as thoroughbreds, not just as another horse pulling a cart!

Great environment and owners

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gardena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gardena, CA

I have been working at Z Gallerie full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Very friendly corporate environment. Appreciates collaboration. Believes in employee fun. Opportunity for advancement and to contribute. Not a micromanaging environment. Likes to have fun.

Cons

Conservative philosophies with pay.

Part time Sales

I worked at Z Gallerie part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, fun place to work.

Cons

Not enough pay for what you are expected to accomplish, very unorganized company, very dated computer and operational systems.

Sales Rep

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Z Gallerie part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bonuses based on sales goals, relatively achievable.

Cons

Commission based bonuses creates competition and awkwardness between other employees at times.

Enjoyed the managers at the time

The most immature setting I've ever been in. Unprofessional at best. The Woodlands, Tx.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Z Gallerie part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You meet great people, customers and some employees, and also minimally expand your knowledge in ID. You also get some sort of knowledge of sales.

Cons

There's so much drama at the Woodlands Texas location, it's tangible to customers. The management is terrible, and only favors themselves not the sales associates. For example, they will give each other sales to put themselves on top of the sales chart. YOU WILL get less than 15 hours a week. Save yourself the headache and empty promises. If you are out of high school, don't work here.

Really think about what you're doing as far as the "managing" you do. Favoritism isn't a way to run a business, as you should already know that. Think about the employee's life outside of work and ask yourself if that image is what you want representing your branch, because it does matter. Stop expecting employees to make goals when you do not give them hours. Stop being so immature because you are setting an example for the other people working there, which makes them think they can act like that. Treat your employees right. When you know they are good, stop trying to knock them down. Also, stop talking bad about your sales associates to other managers because they don't keep that to themselves.

Disappointed I spent so many years with one company when I could have truly grown elsewhere.

I worked at Z Gallerie full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When I started back in the 90's it was a small family owned company and everyone in the stores were treated like family.

Cons

As they grew quickly employees were treated less like family and more like a number. They also within a few years were hit with hard financial times and at one point in my over 10 years with them filed for bankruptcy. All of this trickled down and effected store level employees as stores were closed, pay decreases happened and positions eliminated. Through all of this the Zeiden family never seemed to show any empathy for their effected employees. To this day, salaries still have not gone back to what they were and they have tremendous turnover at the store level due to ungratefulness from upper management.

Show some appreciation for your staff.