Z Gallerie Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
2.6

Joe Zeiden

Fun place to work but there's a severe lack of talent retention!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Z Gallerie full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The products are great and there's always something new! It's great fun assisting clients with their design needs and helping them develop a vision for what they ultimately would like their space to look like. It's fun and creative and there are always new ideas to explore and share with clients. I ABSOLUTELY loved and still love the group I worked with. The best thing about this job is meeting new clients and developing extensive relationships with them over the years thus building that trust and friendship that fosters relationship selling.

Cons

The frustrating thing is that there always seemed to be stock outs which typically cost you the sale because the clients or designers could not wait a long period of time for the merchandise. Another con is as a sales associate you do of course have sales goals, which are sometimes lofty, that you have to meet yet get no additional money. Before the recession, the company offered a commission on sales and since the recession to current the commission has yet to be reinstated. There is basically no room to move up, so my benefit from working there was my personal growth in sales and client development. One of the biggest cons is the lack of competitive compensation for which the company ultimately loses their best talent.

My advice to top management (above store management), realize the talent that you have and foster that talent. Create succession plans within the company for talent to be moved up such as sales associates to become associate manager, to assistant store manager, store manger, and so on so forth up the management chain. Promote growth and foster loyalty in the company by promoting and hiring MAINLY from within the company. You have and have had many exemplary sales associates whom have built extensive lists of clients whom typically tend to spend more on average with each return visit and higher spend with THEIR sales associate that they've cultivated a relationship with. Due to the fact that there is basically no room for career growth, you lose these amazing sales associates and talent and thus hurt your own business because companies are extremely exhilarated to HIRE us once we leave Z Gallerie. When you have thoroughbreds on hand, you treat them as thoroughbreds, not just as another horse pulling a cart!

Great environment and owners

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Gardena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gardena, CA

I have been working at Z Gallerie full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere. Very friendly corporate environment. Appreciates collaboration. Believes in employee fun. Opportunity for advancement and to contribute. Not a micromanaging environment. Likes to have fun.

Cons

Conservative philosophies with pay.

Sales Rep

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Z Gallerie part-time for more than a year

Pros

Bonuses based on sales goals, relatively achievable.

Cons

Commission based bonuses creates competition and awkwardness between other employees at times.

Enjoyed the managers at the time

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Part time Sales

I worked at Z Gallerie part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, fun place to work.

Cons

Not enough pay for what you are expected to accomplish, very unorganized company, very dated computer and operational systems.

The most immature setting I've ever been in. Unprofessional at best. The Woodlands, Tx.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Z Gallerie part-time for less than a year

Pros

You meet great people, customers and some employees, and also minimally expand your knowledge in ID. You also get some sort of knowledge of sales.

Cons

There's so much drama at the Woodlands Texas location, it's tangible to customers. The management is terrible, and only favors themselves not the sales associates. For example, they will give each other sales to put themselves on top of the sales chart. YOU WILL get less than 15 hours a week. Save yourself the headache and empty promises. If you are out of high school, don't work here.

Really think about what you're doing as far as the "managing" you do. Favoritism isn't a way to run a business, as you should already know that. Think about the employee's life outside of work and ask yourself if that image is what you want representing your branch, because it does matter. Stop expecting employees to make goals when you do not give them hours. Stop being so immature because you are setting an example for the other people working there, which makes them think they can act like that. Treat your employees right. When you know they are good, stop trying to knock them down. Also, stop talking bad about your sales associates to other managers because they don't keep that to themselves.

Disappointed I spent so many years with one company when I could have truly grown elsewhere.

I worked at Z Gallerie full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

When I started back in the 90's it was a small family owned company and everyone in the stores were treated like family.

Cons

As they grew quickly employees were treated less like family and more like a number. They also within a few years were hit with hard financial times and at one point in my over 10 years with them filed for bankruptcy. All of this trickled down and effected store level employees as stores were closed, pay decreases happened and positions eliminated. Through all of this the Zeiden family never seemed to show any empathy for their effected employees. To this day, salaries still have not gone back to what they were and they have tremendous turnover at the store level due to ungratefulness from upper management.

Show some appreciation for your staff.

Lack of training made for non confident employees and customers getting the wrong information all of the time

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Z Gallerie full-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount was nice. Most of the product was good quality. Other than that there was nothing great about working here.

Cons

Lack of training, old systems, rude corporate, and rude customers. They need to find more efficient programs to make it easier for us to do our jobs!

Train your people! Come up with some sort of training course instead of making people just figure it out. Also update your systems.

Fantabulous!

I have been working at Z Gallerie part-time for more than a year

Pros

Rapid growth. Friendly people. Always interacting with new and interesting people. 25 plus hours guaranteed.

Cons

Truck days are not the best. You would think that this company could have specific people to put product in.

One of THE MOST Poorly Run Businesses I've Ever Encountered

Former Employee - Sales Associate & Assistant Manager  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate & Assistant Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Z Gallerie part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pretty good employee discount. That is all. There is not much else that is good about it. I can not even think of twenty words that are positive to type in this space.

Cons

Upon my start at Z Gallerie I received virtually no training. I was not given any training about the product in order to help customers make informed buying decisions. The furniture on display is only a fraction of what is offered. And all furniture items can be customized in a myriad of ways and sizes. I only learned this myself by accidentally browsing through a few three-ring binders behind the check-out area.

Another fun surprise was a week after starting, I was checking my schedule only to see a 5:00 A.M. start time. I said "Is this an error?" I was informed that no, in fact, that is "Truck Day". I was never ever mentioned anything about a "Truck Day" or a 5 A.M. start time during my interview OR my orientation. I would have turned down the job, actually, had this been mentioned to me. I certainly would never do any such thing for $10 per hour. In fact, this practice of Z Gallerie of having unqualified employees unload heavy merchandise from the back of a semi-truck may be in violation of OSHA regulations.

Others have mentioned the terrible POS systems (all on point) and pointless sales quotas for a $125 MAX monthly bonus. Um, that is NOT a motivation to make sales, OK? Good luck with that.

Within about six months of employment there, I was asked to be an assistant manager. I informed them that I was not interested in working 40 hours a week. I was told "No Problem" . Only to find out AFTER THE FACT and a schedule that was constantly 38-40 hours a week, that in order to be an Assistant Manager, you MUST BE FULL TIME. I felt CONSTANTLY mislead and lied to by management since starting to work there. But I stayed on because the store was so short-handed. Not enough managers to open and close during the stores WAY TOO LONG open hours. Our store was located in a mall and was completely in the wrong location for its product. There were ever hardly any sales after 7:00-7:30 yet they stayed open until 9:00PM 6 nights a week. No direct loading area FOR FURNITURE and large items!! We had to move furniture and large items down a long maze in the bowls of the mall.

And don't get me started on Customer Service. There is none. I will NEVER order furniture from Z Gallerie again because I know for a fact if it shows up damaged or missing something, I will be out of luck for weeks on end. I couldn't even get through to Customer Service while I was working there. Not via phone OR email. So there's that.

I could go on and on with Cons but honestly, I'm tired of re-living the experience. Don't work there is the only advice I can give you.

Z Gallerie doesn't even know about Glass Door, so that's telling that they are so technologically backwards and will probably never improve.
    At this point, there is so much to change and management is not tuned in. What's the point of advice? They filed for bankruptcy one already, I'm sure another one is right around the corner.

Highly Corporate and Demanding Work Environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at Z Gallerie part-time for less than a year

Pros

Perk: A visually stimulating showroom filled with fun, attractive and unique merchandise.

Cons

This is the one and only (and last) store I work for that provides NO Trainin.

Management was indifferent or clueless, Thursdays were expecially physically demanding, (i.e., unloading Fed-ex trucks, assembling and moving furniture).

The inefficient POS system is needlessly complicated and should be replaced.

I have had a lot of retail experience and this is one of the worst places that I have worked for.

Prior to my employment, I enjoyed browsing at Z Gallerie as a customer and thought that working there during the holidays would be fun. Oh boy, was I ever wrong.

The way Z Gallerie is run is beyond exploitative and ludicrous. For one thing, even though it's a family owned business, there is nothing warm and fuzzy about it. On the contrary, it's an excessively bureaucratic corporation with no tolerance for individual initiative and/or creativity. Nearly totalitarian in its corporate dictates, even the colors of your clothing must match their fabric chart (white, beige, brown, black). If you dare to wear a patterned outfit, or your clothing is a shade off, you will be sent home or dismissed.

More off-putting are the endless stream of self-important micro-managers who are always eager to grab sales from unsuspecting new associates. This happened to me twice while I was in the process of self-training.

Everyday management kept assigning nearly punitive sales quotas, while at the same time sabotaging employees opportunities to obtain them. Btw, for all the corporate sales demands, no actual commission was offered,...hmmm, not exactly fair, is it?!

The underhanded tactics used by store managers, and assistant managers to take advantage of the new saleshelp was inexcusable. Instead of looking at the "big picture" to create good will by properly training and helping them, they would all-too-often grab and take credit for their sales, completely destroying morale and initiative. During my short seasonal stint, I quickly became aware of the strong undercurrent of paranoid territorial competition, instead of healthy cooperation. Worse yet, this did not go unnoticed by the customers.

After being hired (during the busiest time of the year -- the holiday season. I was thrown onto the sales floor with no training at all. The POS system is ridiculously cumbersome and biased to misdirect sales credits from the employee to the store, unless the associate is savvy enough to go back a step to replace the store number with their associate number. That convoluted system made me wonder if the POS software was purposely designed to redirect sales to avoid paying the promised phantom bonuses.

Even though management demanded sales quotas, employees were rarely fairly compensated for their efforts anyway. All the quotas were good for was creating staff anxiety and in some, a cut-throat sense of competition on the sales floor. Creating all that strife for a mere $10-12/hour is totally absurd.

I was also shocked to realize that special staff aren't delegated to unload the trucks. Unloading heavy furniture crates is extremely difficult and potentially hazardous work. One young girl threw out her back and was laid up for over a week on worker's compensation. It's no wonder they force new employees to sign volumes of liability waivers prior to employment. It's also bad business and I refused to participate.

While waiting on hundreds of store customers, we were expected to add to our already hectic multi-tasking by handling the phones to process the sales of online merchandise (which should be a separate division). Z Gallerie's endless unrealistic demands far exceed employee compensation. It was such a frustrating and demeaning experience that I no longer even shop there.

Upper management needs to rethink their business strategies.
    Also hire proper store managers who are able and willing to train their staff and properly delegate.

Worked for Z Gallerie? Contribute to the Community!