Z Gallerie

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joe Zeiden

Fantabulous!

ProsRapid growth. Friendly people. Always interacting with new and interesting people. 25 plus hours guaranteed.

ConsTruck days are not the best. You would think that this company could have specific people to put product in.

Disappointed I spent so many years with one company when I could have truly grown elsewhere.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWhen I started back in the 90's it was a small family owned company and everyone in the stores were treated like family.

ConsAs they grew quickly employees were treated less like family and more like a number. They also within a few years were hit with hard financial times and at one point in my over 10 years with them filed for bankruptcy. All of this trickled down and effected store level employees as stores were closed, pay decreases happened and positions eliminated. Through all of this the Zeiden family never seemed to show any empathy for their effected employees. To this day, salaries still have not gone back to what they were and they have tremendous turnover at the store level due to ungratefulness from upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some appreciation for your staff.

One of THE MOST Poorly Run Businesses I've Ever Encountered

Sales Associate & Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsPretty good employee discount. That is all. There is not much else that is good about it. I can not even think of twenty words that are positive to type in this space.

ConsUpon my start at Z Gallerie I received virtually no training. I was not given any training about the product in order to help customers make informed buying decisions. The furniture on display is only a fraction of what is offered. And all furniture items can be customized in a myriad of ways and sizes. I only learned this myself by accidentally browsing through a few three-ring binders behind the check-out area.

Another fun surprise was a week after starting, I was checking my schedule only to see a 5:00 A.M. start time. I said "Is this an error?" I was informed that no, in fact, that is "Truck Day". I was never ever mentioned anything about a "Truck Day" or a 5 A.M. start time during my interview OR my orientation. I would have turned down the job, actually, had this been mentioned to me. I certainly would never do any such thing for $10 per hour. In fact, this practice of Z Gallerie of having unqualified employees unload heavy merchandise from the back of a semi-truck may be in violation of OSHA regulations.

Others have mentioned the terrible POS systems (all on point) and pointless sales quotas for a $125 MAX monthly bonus. Um, that is NOT a motivation to make sales, OK? Good luck with that.

Within about six months of employment there, I was asked to be an assistant manager. I informed them that I was not interested in working 40 hours a week. I was told "No Problem" . Only to find out AFTER THE FACT and a schedule that was constantly 38-40 hours a week, that in order to be an Assistant Manager, you MUST BE FULL TIME. I felt CONSTANTLY mislead and lied to by management since starting to work there. But I stayed on because the store was so short-handed. Not enough managers to open and close during the stores WAY TOO LONG open hours. Our store was located in a mall and was completely in the wrong location for its product. There were ever hardly any sales after 7:00-7:30 yet they stayed open until 9:00PM 6 nights a week. No direct loading area FOR FURNITURE and large items!! We had to move furniture and large items down a long maze in the bowls of the mall.

And don't get me started on Customer Service. There is none. I will NEVER order furniture from Z Gallerie again because I know for a fact if it shows up damaged or missing something, I will be out of luck for weeks on end. I couldn't even get through to Customer Service while I was working there. Not via phone OR email. So there's that.

I could go on and on with Cons but honestly, I'm tired of re-living the experience. Don't work there is the only advice I can give you.

Advice to Senior ManagementZ Gallerie doesn't even know about Glass Door, so that's telling that they are so technologically backwards and will probably never improve.
    At this point, there is so much to change and management is not tuned in. What's the point of advice? They filed for bankruptcy one already, I'm sure another one is right around the corner.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of training made for non confident employees and customers getting the wrong information all of the time

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe discount was nice. Most of the product was good quality. Other than that there was nothing great about working here.

ConsLack of training, old systems, rude corporate, and rude customers. They need to find more efficient programs to make it easier for us to do our jobs!

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your people! Come up with some sort of training course instead of making people just figure it out. Also update your systems.

Far too much stress

Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAmazing base pay (almost $2 more than min)
    Beautiful environment
    Sell beautiful products and designs
    Decently priced items
    Get to work with designers and be creative

ConsHardly any room for internal growth
    Strict dress code (black and specific solid colors chosen by corporate)
    Terrible customer service help line
    To much stress and drama with management
    Corporate and DMS hard to reach (across the country)

Advice to Senior ManagementHire store managers that are willing to drop everything for the success of their store, not someone there just to receive a paycheck

Highly Corporate and Demanding Work Environment

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Mission Viejo, CA

ProsPerk: A visually stimulating showroom filled with fun, attractive and unique merchandise.

ConsThis is the one and only (and last) store I work for that provides NO Trainin.

Management was indifferent or clueless, Thursdays were expecially physically demanding, (i.e., unloading Fed-ex trucks, assembling and moving furniture).

The inefficient POS system is needlessly complicated and should be replaced.

I have had a lot of retail experience and this is one of the worst places that I have worked for.

Prior to my employment, I enjoyed browsing at Z Gallerie as a customer and thought that working there during the holidays would be fun. Oh boy, was I ever wrong.

The way Z Gallerie is run is beyond exploitative and ludicrous. For one thing, even though it's a family owned business, there is nothing warm and fuzzy about it. On the contrary, it's an excessively bureaucratic corporation with no tolerance for individual initiative and/or creativity. Nearly totalitarian in its corporate dictates, even the colors of your clothing must match their fabric chart (white, beige, brown, black). If you dare to wear a patterned outfit, or your clothing is a shade off, you will be sent home or dismissed.

More off-putting are the endless stream of self-important micro-managers who are always eager to grab sales from unsuspecting new associates. This happened to me twice while I was in the process of self-training.

Everyday management kept assigning nearly punitive sales quotas, while at the same time sabotaging employees opportunities to obtain them. Btw, for all the corporate sales demands, no actual commission was offered,...hmmm, not exactly fair, is it?!

The underhanded tactics used by store managers, and assistant managers to take advantage of the new saleshelp was inexcusable. Instead of looking at the "big picture" to create good will by properly training and helping them, they would all-too-often grab and take credit for their sales, completely destroying morale and initiative. During my short seasonal stint, I quickly became aware of the strong undercurrent of paranoid territorial competition, instead of healthy cooperation. Worse yet, this did not go unnoticed by the customers.

After being hired (during the busiest time of the year -- the holiday season. I was thrown onto the sales floor with no training at all. The POS system is ridiculously cumbersome and biased to misdirect sales credits from the employee to the store, unless the associate is savvy enough to go back a step to replace the store number with their associate number. That convoluted system made me wonder if the POS software was purposely designed to redirect sales to avoid paying the promised phantom bonuses.

Even though management demanded sales quotas, employees were rarely fairly compensated for their efforts anyway. All the quotas were good for was creating staff anxiety and in some, a cut-throat sense of competition on the sales floor. Creating all that strife for a mere $10-12/hour is totally absurd.

I was also shocked to realize that special staff aren't delegated to unload the trucks. Unloading heavy furniture crates is extremely difficult and potentially hazardous work. One young girl threw out her back and was laid up for over a week on worker's compensation. It's no wonder they force new employees to sign volumes of liability waivers prior to employment. It's also bad business and I refused to participate.

While waiting on hundreds of store customers, we were expected to add to our already hectic multi-tasking by handling the phones to process the sales of online merchandise (which should be a separate division). Z Gallerie's endless unrealistic demands far exceed employee compensation. It was such a frustrating and demeaning experience that I no longer even shop there.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to rethink their business strategies.
    Also hire proper store managers who are able and willing to train their staff and properly delegate.

No structure

ProsThe merchandise is beautiful. Good Employee discount

ConsLack of structure, training and communication. I always felt like I was left to figure things out on my own. The systems they use are so archaic. They make it way too confusing for associates and customers to fully understand how anything operates. There are way more efficient ways to run a company. The customers are also the most rude I have ever dealt with…but in their defense they have to deal with workers that are untrained and not familiar with a completely ridiculous operating system!

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your associates

Run poorly, terrible managers

Associate Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat discount on items

ConsManagement and District Managers are awful. Play favorites and don't try to hide it. They enjoy going out after work hours with lower staff members creating a divide in the store with those that won't or cannot go with them. The people that did go out after work ended up with the schedule they preferred with everyone else working every weekend evening.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider interviewing employees satisfaction with their managers - I've worked at Z Gallerie in two states and it was incredible how the atmosphere was the same.

Fantastic

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Mission Viejo, CA

ProsLearn about interior design and help customers design their rooms

ConsStanding! Spending paycheck on too many cool products

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking at Z Gallerie was a great experience. Thank you.

Looks good on the surface, but not much beyond that.

Associate Manager (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsAffordable fashions for the home

ConsLow pay, lack of leadership, don't value their employees like family that they clearly state on their website.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's really quite simple, loyalty downward creates loyalty upward. If you want quality employees, you need to pay competitive salaries.

Worked for Z Gallerie? Contribute to the Community!