ZAGG Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Randall Hales

Pros
  • Overall unique company and fun to work with (in 5 reviews)

• Great people to work with especially management (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non-existent (in 4 reviews)

• Executive team is heavy for the size of the employee base (in 5 reviews)

1. Best company I

I have been working at ZAGG

Pros

The environment and efficiency of work is incredible. Everyone is pleasant and very down to earth.

Cons

Location isn't the most convenient but with the new location next year I see that improving.

Too Many Chiefs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

I have been working at ZAGG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Successful local company
    Parties
    Prizes
    A/B Schedule
    401K
    Great Coworkers

Cons

Low pay
    Long hours
    Dismissive management
    Micro-management
    Favoritism
    HR Department that doesn't honor it's own rules.

Advice to Management

If you don't mind working at a company where favoritism is prevalent and concerns are ultimately dismissed when they are inconvenient to executives or the head of HR, then maybe ZAGG is the place for you. Bottom and middle level employees are underpaid, overworked, and over-managed. At ZAGG micromanaging of competent, salaried employees exists on an almost comical level. On a surface level ZAGG pretends to listen to the feedback and suggestions of the employees in the trenches but their solution to every problem is to hire more upper management.

Your department is dissatisfied with it's compensation? Let's hire another executive!
    Your team is working 60 hours a week trying to keep up with their workloads? Let's not approve the hire of another team member, instead let's hire another executive!

Turnover is a constant because, aside from a few manager's pets who can seemingly do no wrong (in spite of complaints from those they work with that they don't manage their own workload), most employees realize after investing a lot of time and effort that nothing changes at ZAGG.

As an employee upper and middle management has no respect for my time and often forces me to waste several hours of the week in unproductive meetings then I am forced to work late and well into my personal time just to stay on top of my actual workload.

Some departments are better than others, but given the pay I would say that most days ZAGG just isn't worth the time.

3. Positive leadership is the shining star

I have been working at ZAGG

Pros

Having worked for a large company, refreshing to come to a smaller company with positive energy. Leadership is upbeat about challenges and growth. Company in growth phase which is exciting to be a part of.

Cons

As with any small company growing up, establishing and creating processes that help, not hurt growth are key. Facilities could be better but new building is on the horizon.

5. The Pyramid has lost it's luster

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at ZAGG full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most of ZAGG's employees are great people. They are some of the hardest working, passionate, kind people I have ever known.

ZAGG has alright benefits.

Cons

ZAGG is struggling to find it's culture. When I first started here, I thought had stumbled on Utah's own google. Unfortunately, ZAGG has fallen a great distance away from this.

ZAGG Says they pay industry standard wages, what they don't tell you is that, that is completely untrue. To make close to industry standard, you have to meet quarterly goals that are dependent on your departments teams. Which brings me to my next point... ZAGG doesn't do well with their underperformers. Missing out on this bonus puts a lot of people in an extremely hard situation. ZAGG doesn't pay industry standards, a lot of people that have been working here for years - Myself included - haven't seen a proper raise in over 2 years.

ZAGG is great about hiring old "friends" that they've worked with in the past. Meaning that favoritism is alive and well here. A lot of them are hired on as VPs, some of them only managing 1-3 people at most. These VPs don't seem to solve any problems or have anything of value to add to the company, yet they seem to have more than adequate salary, some of them more than six figures. It's ludicrous. These people are so incredibly power hungry, that they come into the culture, swinging, like they've got something to prove. The knock heads in, force numbers, and try to make themselves looks as good as possible. These people tend to make the most upward movement in the company.

ZAGG wants to be google, but they never will be with the culture that they are currently cultivating here.

Advice to Management

Stop brushing things under the rug. Your employees are actually fearful of coming and talking to you, because things don't change, and they feel that speaking out about it will make them lose their jobs.

So many of us aren't paid fairly. Especially the ones that are doing the majority of the work. You wouldn't have to gimmic us with all of these ridiculous bonuses - that we don't always get - if you just paid us like you should. People would be motivated about work, if they didn't have to worry about money problems. Some of us can barely afford living on the salary we are given.

Admit that some of the poor performers are actually in leadership roles. They aren't contributing. They are just breading the distrust in your employees and your ability to effectively handle them. Most of these leaders don't do any reviews with their employees, and completely push them into a corner. As long as you are pushing out numbers, you are safe.. It's no way to function.

Care a little bit, instead of acting like you do. All is not well, here.

Let's Be Honest

I have been working at ZAGG full-time

Pros

All employees will agree that the best reason to work at ZAGG is because of the people that are there. This is not to say that I love all employees at ZAGG, but, there are many there whom I consider a friend, a confidant or even a family member. There are so many people with different personalities, that it is hard to not make a few friends while working at ZAGG.

Cons

Oh, where to start. Let's begin with dealing with poor performers. ZAGG has an annual survey every year that asks the same questions as the year before (this is the third year for this employee survey). Every year, dealing with poor performers has been second to last or last on the employee satisfaction survey. You may wonder why, but if you worked at ZAGG for a week, you will realize why. The truth of the matter, is that this company runs off of politics. If you play the game, your faults are unnoticed and your salary and job title increase.

Managers were given a budget for a cost of living increase for their employees. Some employees received up to 5% as others received none or near 2%. The problem with this is that most of the employees that received 5%, are not deserving of it.

There are certain employees who are well known around the company as not doing their job, but guess what happens? The employees get promoted, they stop doing their job and start doing other additional tasks, just to climb the corporate ladder. Employees have gone to management and HR, and guess what. Still, nothing happens. This is clear sign of poor leadership.

Oh, and because the turnover in our upper-management is so high, and we feel the need to add more managers, directors and executives, all you have to do is make an impression on one of these higher level employees, and guess what? You get a raise, a title jump, and you gain "power" in the company. Doesn't that sound like a dictatorship? Power? This is a company and these are real people

Also, the job titles and pay structures are so unbelievely out of line with where they should be, that the company should be reviewed by the DOL. The title of "Senior" or "Global" is thrown around to allow for people to make more money, but their positions are the same as those working below them, if not less meaningful than their subordiinates.

The employee satisfaction survey came in at a whopping 55% for satisfaction on income. And, leadership took this as a gain. So a technical F grade is not a concern to leadership? So, what did they do? They increase the hourly wages to a whole $15/hour. What about the salaried employees?

And, if they considered the salaried employees (not the managers, directors, or executive members as most of them make over 6 figures), the problem with this would be that you have a manager determining your income. This normally wouldn't be a problem, but when you have management that has a huge favoritism problem, or a problem hiring friends as their subordinates, you do not feel comfortable that your manager is going to give you what you deserve. Instead, they will give increases to those who are constantly playing the part to appear as if they deserve the raise, and of course, their friends are an automatic. It's so sad that an employee can get away with not doing their job correctly, but can be given tasks by their manager to handle employee reviews, conduct meetings, etc. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN? I don't think the employees who are the true workers in the company will ever get an answer to this, because it does not and will not change.

The other issue is that your pay is poor, but you are expected to work all hours of the night in order to keep your job. ZAGG is not about what they can do to give you a proper workload that will allow for you to spend time for you and with your family. And, honestly, they don't care. Their answer is, you need to cut things out of your life. If you have other commitments outside of work, cut those out, and you won't be so tired anymore. What a great way to take care of your employees.

Now, on to the sales team. We at ZAGG are notorious for hiring sales representatives from a blender company, a tire company, a TV company, even a stamp company to come into ZAGG and know how to sell consumer electronic accessories and understand the target demographic. It's hard to have salesmen (currently no sales women), who do not know how to use the product, or Microsoft excel, and expect them to be successful in their jobs. It really is nothing more than sad. You have members of the sales team (not talking about the managers, yet), that are making a huge base salary plus commissions and bonuses, who do not deserve to be making that money, nor have a job. Most of the time, the burden of the salesmen fall on their account managers, on marketing, and on the product team. They make commitments that they shouldn't, they plan everything last minute (even though they have known about it for weeks), and they expect that the account management and operations team will do the rest of the work. So, it's pretty unclear to what these guys do all day. While others are working at all hours of the night, these guy leave early, go golfing, come in late, etc., and most of their time is spent in the office and not on the road. I would say this is pretty concerning.
    Also, there are members of the sales team that are considered directors, and get paid like directors, that are not actually directing people. And then, you have enough directors in the sales department, that actually should be directing people, that have roughly two sales people underneath them. That is a total of 6 real sales directors managing 14 sales guys, and then you have two directors that do not direct.

All in all, the truth has to get out, and the fluff that is listed in the other reviews, is written by members of our leadership team, that were asked to write positve reviews to increase ZAGG's score on this site. How sad, and how dishonest.

Advice to Management

This is specifically directed toward the Executive Team- get to know the truth about your departments. Ask your employees, without their managers, to be honest and truthful about their satisfaction, their pay, and importantly, about their managers. Most of you are fooled by the people you have running the people of ZAGG, and the only way this will change is if you get your hands dirty, and be prepared to hear the truth. Most importantly, make sure that you honestly want to hear the truth. Because if you don't, you shouldn't be an executive over any company.

To the managers/directors of the company- Stop playing favorites. It is evident and clear to the other employees when you do, and it is unprofessional and leads to very unhappy employees. The people who come into your office to chat, or who are always willing to take on more, like help with meetings, handle bigger tasks, go on last minute trips, are those you should be most concerned with. And, you don't know about these issues, because people don't feel comfortable talking to you. Also, please STOP the unnecessary meetings, spreadsheets, and weekly updates. If you have to get a weekly update from your team via email, you aren't doing your job. Your job is to manage people. You would know what was going on with your employees if you actually wanted to spend the time to talk to them. Instead you say you have an open door policy, say how busy you are, and sit in meetings that are a huge waste of time for about half of your week. This is a waste of our company's money, and does not leave for a very positive experience to those you manage. You should be accessible, and you should be there helping your team grow, not adding to their workload, complaining all of the time, and gossiping behind closed doors.

How sad is it that this is how this company is being ran? And you, management team, are allowing it.

Import / Export Manager

Former Employee - Logistics/Fulfillment/Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Logistics/Fulfillment/Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at ZAGG (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no Pros to share on this company.

Cons

Corrupt executive management with no regards for SEC rules and regs.

ZAGG Response

Jun 23, 2015PR Manager

The accusation that ZAGG’s leadership does not care about SEC compliance is false and without merit. Our financial team has extensive controls in place that are reviewed and audited annually by KPMG ... More

Where's the leadership?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at ZAGG full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, free soda if you like that, very good prizes at twice per year company parties.
    Better than average pay for local standards

Cons

Keeping people who are either not capable or bad apples, lack of professional development (No advancement opportunities), lack of vision (they think they have it, but don't be fooled), Poor communication (nothing comes downhill from sr management, same message repeated at every company meeting), TOP HEAVY (in sales alone there are 9 directors and VP's to 11 sales people!!), true appreciation is not shown just the typical what have you done for me today but tomorrow look out, poor leadership as can be seen by this list. People are looking over ther shoulder waiting for the next butt chewing or to be let go. No one takes ownership of their job out of fear of doing something wrong. Silos are everywhere and you better stay in yours! A lot of departments are under staffed, over worked and under appreciated. CEO states the exact same message at every meeting. At first you think it is great to have such an engaging CEO until after a couple of months you tire of the repeated message and want some real communication, some real insight, some real leadership.

Advice to Management

Spend time with the employees in your department. Get out of the senior suite and spend real time side by side with the grunts. Experience what they are going through. See their struggles. Understand why the morale SUCKS!

9. Best job I have ever had.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA

I have been working at ZAGG part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are given the freedom to interact with customers the way you see fit.
    Although you have a boss most of the time it is just you there.
    Great with school schedules.

Cons

There are only three people working at a cart so if an emergency appears it is hard to get it covered.

Advice to Management

Make sure everything is always stocked up and keep a good track of inventory so that you lose very little sales

10. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Layton, UT
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Layton, UT

I worked at ZAGG part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you can sell a lot and you get a decent amount of commission, it will be an average paycheck.

Cons

If you don't make commission or sales have slowed down for the season it can be pretty boring.

Advice to Management

turn the small kiosks into more manageable work areas with larger work space.

11. Good Company

I have been working at ZAGG

Pros

ZAGG is an exciting place to work for. It is nice to see people working together to reach the same goal.

Cons

It is very difficult to feel good about taking time off. I feel like I can never really be "disconnected" from work.

RSS Feed </> Embed