ZOLL Medical

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
2.7

Richard A. Packer

Pros
  • Good people for the most part -- most want to come in every day and do a good job (in 4 reviews)

• Flex time and overtime is available, and the build has a nice atrium (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no idea of the work being done in their departments (in 5 reviews)

• There is a high turnover level not only in staff but also senior staff and management levels (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Average but slowly improving

Current Employee - Manufacturing/QA/Materials in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing/QA/Materials in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is not too bad if youre in the right department. Ive heard not so encouraging stories in other departments but am pleased with my pay and my department. Very nice facilities/environments. Family feel to the environment. Benefits are not too bad but could be better.

Cons

HR is a total joke! They are clueless most times and act annoyed if you inquire about anything. Tuition Reimbursement is not the greatest. They want the best of the best but dont want to fork the money on promoting within or growing current employees. Some "clique-i-ness" does go on. Parking situation is horrendous and little help is given when someones car gets wrecked by the valet.

Consider growing current employees rather than bringing more people from off the street. Cut back on the temp to hires and start bringing in at least some direct hires in manufacturing. Establish a better standard when it comes to review time. Most employees are confused at to what the standard is or what their yearly goal is. Most dont even know what a developmental plan is. Managers are not on the same page most times. One manager will allow certain conduct in their department that are not permitted in others. Rules should be across the board.

Do things fast over do things right

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ZOLL Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People work hard and fast, even not right. A lot areas can be improved and open to new ways and ideas

Cons

People didn't work smart enough to make continuously stable progress. Performance issues recurred all the time. Fears to be punished by spending longer time to do the right thing
    Health insurance is not good.

Give employee time to do the right thing that will eliminate trouble in the future. Don't push too hard on get things done fast.

Not bad

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time

Pros

Growing company, lots of room for advancement and growth. Also for IT workers a lot of challenges and no shortage of work. Not to mention free coffee and tee.

Cons

Working with the business has been a major challenge both in the terms of communication and being able to do you needed work to keep IT operations up and running. It does seam like every time I propose an improvement I tend to dig myself even deeper.

Be willing to listen to those in the trenches.

Not the best place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good, most employees only work 8 hour days -- but many managers of salaried workers believe you should work more. there are no corporate holidays, but they give you 11 floating vacation days on top of the three weeks, for you to take on national holidays. This is nice because you can choose to take off certain holidays or save the day, but most departments have policies that at least one person should be in the department at all times, so watch the "low man on the totem pole" vacation time when you request off.

Cons

Engineers and Marketing paid competitively as well as hourly employees, all other salaried employees are paid poorly. Upper management has no idea of the work being done in their departments. Middle management not much better, my manager now has no experience in our field, yet was promoted before other qualified people. Politics play a huge roll in promotions, if you don't agree with management, understand you will never be promoted. Favorites are clear among management.

Get over yourselves and start to value the every day work. If you don't know how it is done, go and find out, get into the trenches before making lofty goals and major changes to the processes. President of LifeVest is a clear example of this.

Young, inexperienced management in Reimbursement Dept. makes for a bad work enviro. and HR is oblivious on many levels.

Former Employee - Intake Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Intake Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ZOLL Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, 15% diff. pay for working weekends, nice vacation allotment (although needed because of the stress), starting wage for Intake Specialist is 17-18 $ per hour.

Cons

In a nutshell to understand why Zoll LifeVest in Pittsburgh, PA is so screwed up just look at their parking situation. The company originally had a building that was too small for the growing business about a half mile away from their new location. The sold the old building and moved the new one but did not forecast for growth so now they have zero parking and are scrambling to remedy the situation but scouting new buildings to divide clerical staff and manufacturing. If there was any foresight they could have kept the prior building for one group and moved other employees to the new building. In a nutshell this my experience after four years at Zoll, a complete and utter lack of management to plan or effectively get ahead of issues. Instead they wait to be smacked in the face with problems and put the weight of getting caught up on the staff.

Another serious issue is the lack of leadership in the Reimbursement Dept. which oversees the Intake Specialists and assists with sales. The rule of thumb in the Intake/ Reimb. Dept. is to put a firewall between Intake and Account Coordinators. Our manager and the supervisors of intake routinely told staff not to give out details of system and process changes to AC's and sales TM's which in turn left for a angry staff, inefficiencies/confusion and loss of revenue/turnover. There is a high turnover level not only in staff but also senior staff and management levels. For example we had a do-nothing director come in to the reimbursement department with questionable work history that then left less than a year or so after and in turn her buddy she had worked with at another company was then dutifully given the director position. The supervisors for intake are made up of a team of one good and one very mediocre employee. One has a MBA and the acumen to succeed while the others background is very limited with a degree in Cosmetology.(!) It should be mentioned that after MBA'er was promoted to supervisor Cosmet. person whined and cried that she had been there much longer and deserved the promotion instead, essentially putting up such a fuss that she was co-promoted and added to the bureaucracy.

One last key point to understand that if you are not brown-nosing and keeping abreast of all social issues, office politic issues etc. you may very well find yourself caught off guard. If you choose to work at Zoll in the Intake/ Reimb. dept. be ready to play CYA all the time. Also, don't expect equitable treatment at time of reviews etc. For the longest time management used flawed metrics to judge employee performance to such an extreme they even put monthly reviews on hiatus. If you are a buddy-buddy with the people in charge you can CYA and get them to cover for you. Otherwise you will be looked at as an outsider. Once you are an outsider expect the team leads, supervisors and manager/director to covertly undermine your ability to do your job. Once they have decided you don't fit into their fiefdom you might as well find a new job because you cannot do anything to get into their psychotic form of good graces. Management and supervisors are above reproach. Just like the 3 months leading into to a major software change the supervisors and team leads were tasked to test the software for issues so we could have a smooth transition. Instead they surfed the net and shopped etc. never testing the software. In turn the Intake Specialists were running around putting out fires when the software was fully implemented because of their ineptitude.

In ending this review I want to apologize to the Territory Managers and Account Coordinators and their management because we were told by our Intake/Reimb. management to ignore their needs and not act as team players. This lead to loosing a lot of good TM's and AC's because of frustrations and stress. I hate to sound so cliché but "I was just following orders." and when I tried to be a team player they ousted me. I hope it gets better for the sake of my friends that still work there but with the Intake Dept. leadership not changing and only getting more bureaucratic with sycophants I don't see that happening anytime soon.

To the Intake/Reimbursement Dept. supervisors/ manager/ director. Resign...Let some one that doesn't have a buddy buddy political slant come in and do the work that needs to be done with a business mindset.

Beware of Life Vest

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ZOLL Medical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good colleagues and talent. Pittsburgh is a pretty nice city with good peeps. Watching management is entertaining.

Cons

Huge growth yet high turnover. Bungling management with quirky first time execs. No one cares about employees, retention, capabilities or personal development. Vindictive execs get rid of the really good employees quickly because they don't fit into the "lifevest culture" which means buying into bs. shaky business model- talk with the sales force- they'll tell you how messed up this place is. VP's are manager level in other companies,

Struggling to stay positive

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time

Pros

good vacation package, decent benefits, tons of growtht (job security)

Cons

horrible processes in place and ACs are responsible for taking the blunt of the dissatisfied sales field, seems like they want to use and abuse us and hire new college grads over and over again rather than fixing the very blatant problems (no anticipation - things aren't fixed until they are really, really bad)

fix the systems and put strict processes and policies in place then inform both internal AND external in clear, concise way to avoid constant negative work environment

Slave Labor

Current Employee - Material Handler in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company is growing very rapidly.

Cons

Pay is peanuts and it is a revolving door.

Pay your employees more money and you will retain good workers.

Fast moving, fast growing, lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The environment is fast-paced and exciting. Always new challenges and opportunities to succeed. Advancement and recognition is very good here for those pushing to the next level.

Cons

For some, the pace is a real challenge. If you're looking to "get by" this is not a good fit.

Better top down planning and plan oversight so we're all on the same page and moving to the same goal.

Too much work for the amount of staff

Current Employee - Appeals Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Appeals Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growing company, Free parking, relaxed dress code

Cons

too much work for the available staff.Needs process improvement because of fast growth. Slow to change.

Improve processes and reduce workloads.

ZOLL Medical Photos