ZOLL Medical Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014
2.7

Richard A. Packer

Pros
  • Good people for the most part -- most want to come in every day and do a good job (in 4 reviews)

• Flex time and overtime is available, and the build has a nice atrium (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no idea of the work being done in their departments (in 5 reviews)

• There is a high turnover level not only in staff but also senior staff and management levels (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent atmosphere, boring work, company technologically stuck in the 90's.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

First of all, everything in this job is dependent on what department you work in. Every department is VERY different. Each one has their pros, and their cons, and their different atmospheres. I've spent six months here, to give you perspective on my opinions. The direct coworkers around me are great. Incredibly friendly, super helpful, encouraging, I never feel like I'm asking dumb questions etc. Everyone works to support everybody else as much as possible throughout all of the departments in this room. Everyone I walk by in the halls says Hi, it's actually odd if you walk by someone and they don't say hello. Everyone is outwardly very friendly.

The company is very focused on healthy living. They have a great gym, healthy food options that they are always improving. Employees are encouraged to participate in workplace hiking groups, marathons, fitness challenges, and there are even weekly chair massages done my a woman who comes in. I will say that they do seem to try hard to make employees generally happy in these ways.

Many people in upper management have been here for 10, 15, 20 years and have worked in a ton of different departments. There seems to be flexibility in jumping around. You are very likely to get hired as a temp if you do a good job (which isn't that hard). They like to keep good workers around, and they like to give employees opportunity here. (I have heard the opposite for the PA location though...)

The job is easy.... I get a lot of support and guidance for my direct tasks, and I am left alone to do my thing most of the time. It's very much the type of gig where you clock in, do what you do, and clock out. Managers are pretty understanding of days you need off, or being sick, or needing time to go to a doctor. As long as you don't abuse it, everyone is very understanding.

I personally have felt tremendously lucky to be in this department. The management has done nothing but support and encourage me, and pushed me to apply and go for a full time position. While this isn't a company or a job I want to be at long term (for reasons explained below) it is a great starting point in my opinion. A bonus is knowing that the work you are doing is directly influencing peoples lives because this is state of the art medical equipment used by thousands of organizations around the world.

Overall pros: Good atmosphere on a micro scale. Clean building, good resources, Nice bathrooms. Coworkers are helpful and friendly. Good job for short term- under five years.

Cons

The company itself isn't as satisfactory as whole. It grew so quickly that there are just so many divisions.. so many departments... so many managers... too much of everything. I never hear from upper management, and have zero idea what most other parts of the company even do which is ridiculous since it all is important. I hear much more about departmental conflicts and catty behavior than I do about what there actual jobs are. I do get the impression that the longer you are here, the more chance you have to jump around and meet people, but you are just as likely to be stuck in the same gig forever. Also, the more you move around the more chance there is to meet awful people.

HR is awful, that's all I will say about that.

The companies databases are ARCHAIC. Every department and group uses different programs to accomplish there work and none of the programs talk to each other. It's incredibly frustrating to have all of these important prices, serial numbers, accounts, etc. in flimsy hacked together databases that only 12 people can access. Each project gets a new database?? Very ineffectual. Zero transfer of information across the board. Regularly have to struggle and ask others to access simple information. I get a lot of my work on excel sheets. They desperately need a consolidated database, but nobody cares enough to take the time to sort through this disorganized mess. The company is just growing too quickly for anyone to keep up with. So many employees are clearly frustrated by this, but nothing is done.

That also lends to a lot of people taking advantage in upper management. Things are very numbers driven and I can see in other departments that it puts the employees under stress.

The work IS SO BORING. And you can honestly just skirt by as long as you hit your numbers and make it look like you are working. Case in point, I am writing this during lulls at work this very moment. Repetitive, mundane tasks unless you are in any type of management position in which case they seem constantly stressed, and like they have too much on their plate. It's like the company expects things to happen at the snap of a finger, and expect it to be done with the tools of a caveman.

There are many, many people in upper positions who are just snobs. They are catty, driven by politics, and try to undermine people in other departments or roles. There is a HUGE divide between the sales reps and the rest of the company... The sales reps could easily either be super friendly, or wicked big jerks. Entitled, snobby, annoying. I thankfully do not interact with them much at all. Mid management positions are usually much more understanding of the work people do, and therefore, so much better to work for.

All in all, the company is too divided in every sense of the word. Camaraderie and unity within departments, disconnect and catty behavior outside. Especially if you are dealing with others not based in your location. The companies technology is far too outdated for what they are trying to accomplish.

Overall cons: Archaic systems, terrible inter company communication, high levels of stress for long term employees, boring work, ineffectual structure as a whole. As a temp I don't have benefits but most people seem to be underpaid and have sub par benefits. Vacation time is also a bit skimpy. You cannot use Sick days as vacation time.

Spend time creating unity within the company. Pay more attention to your employees, and work WITH the other areas of upper management. Maybe try and come together to create better work processes for the company as a whole rather than trying to undermine and attack people in other departments to try and get ahead yourself. Also get more IT guys its RIDICULOUS that it takes days for technical requests to be addressed... actually it takes days for ANYTHING to be addressed, everyone is just wholly unorganized.

Give your employees the tools to succeed, because in very upper management it seems all you care about are the numbers and the $$$. This company seems unsustainable in this state.

Please just organize yourself, and get with the times....

Average but slowly improving

Current Employee - Manufacturing/QA/Materials in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing/QA/Materials in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is not too bad if youre in the right department. Ive heard not so encouraging stories in other departments but am pleased with my pay and my department. Very nice facilities/environments. Family feel to the environment. Benefits are not too bad but could be better.

Cons

HR is a total joke! They are clueless most times and act annoyed if you inquire about anything. Tuition Reimbursement is not the greatest. They want the best of the best but dont want to fork the money on promoting within or growing current employees. Some "clique-i-ness" does go on. Parking situation is horrendous and little help is given when someones car gets wrecked by the valet.

Consider growing current employees rather than bringing more people from off the street. Cut back on the temp to hires and start bringing in at least some direct hires in manufacturing. Establish a better standard when it comes to review time. Most employees are confused at to what the standard is or what their yearly goal is. Most dont even know what a developmental plan is. Managers are not on the same page most times. One manager will allow certain conduct in their department that are not permitted in others. Rules should be across the board.

great experience for a first internship

I have been working at ZOLL Medical

Pros

great environment, friendly people and quality product.

Cons

No free lunch, low pay. No bus

Not bad

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time

Pros

Growing company, lots of room for advancement and growth. Also for IT workers a lot of challenges and no shortage of work. Not to mention free coffee and tee.

Cons

Working with the business has been a major challenge both in the terms of communication and being able to do you needed work to keep IT operations up and running. It does seam like every time I propose an improvement I tend to dig myself even deeper.

Be willing to listen to those in the trenches.

Very Good Work Life Balance

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Senior Mgmt and company direction

Cons

Small Company with big data issues

Rewrite the code for SaaS database mgmt

Not the best place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good, most employees only work 8 hour days -- but many managers of salaried workers believe you should work more. there are no corporate holidays, but they give you 11 floating vacation days on top of the three weeks, for you to take on national holidays. This is nice because you can choose to take off certain holidays or save the day, but most departments have policies that at least one person should be in the department at all times, so watch the "low man on the totem pole" vacation time when you request off.

Cons

Engineers and Marketing paid competitively as well as hourly employees, all other salaried employees are paid poorly. Upper management has no idea of the work being done in their departments. Middle management not much better, my manager now has no experience in our field, yet was promoted before other qualified people. Politics play a huge roll in promotions, if you don't agree with management, understand you will never be promoted. Favorites are clear among management.

Get over yourselves and start to value the every day work. If you don't know how it is done, go and find out, get into the trenches before making lofty goals and major changes to the processes. President of LifeVest is a clear example of this.

Great company with industry leading products focused on resuscitation

I have been working at ZOLL Medical

Pros

Consistent growth year over year in a stable work environment. Long term career paths are available with good benefits and compensation.

Cons

Take a minimum of 5 years to be considered one of the company. Like most corporations there is red tape and politics to get things accomplished.

Stay the course, you are doing well and the future looks great.

Young, inexperienced management in Reimbursement Dept. makes for a bad work enviro. and HR is oblivious on many levels.

Former Employee - Intake Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Intake Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ZOLL Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, 15% diff. pay for working weekends, nice vacation allotment (although needed because of the stress), starting wage for Intake Specialist is 17-18 $ per hour.

Cons

In a nutshell to understand why Zoll LifeVest in Pittsburgh, PA is so screwed up just look at their parking situation. The company originally had a building that was too small for the growing business about a half mile away from their new location. The sold the old building and moved the new one but did not forecast for growth so now they have zero parking and are scrambling to remedy the situation but scouting new buildings to divide clerical staff and manufacturing. If there was any foresight they could have kept the prior building for one group and moved other employees to the new building. In a nutshell this my experience after four years at Zoll, a complete and utter lack of management to plan or effectively get ahead of issues. Instead they wait to be smacked in the face with problems and put the weight of getting caught up on the staff.

Another serious issue is the lack of leadership in the Reimbursement Dept. which oversees the Intake Specialists and assists with sales. The rule of thumb in the Intake/ Reimb. Dept. is to put a firewall between Intake and Account Coordinators. Our manager and the supervisors of intake routinely told staff not to give out details of system and process changes to AC's and sales TM's which in turn left for a angry staff, inefficiencies/confusion and loss of revenue/turnover. There is a high turnover level not only in staff but also senior staff and management levels. For example we had a do-nothing director come in to the reimbursement department with questionable work history that then left less than a year or so after and in turn her buddy she had worked with at another company was then dutifully given the director position. The supervisors for intake are made up of a team of one good and one very mediocre employee. One has a MBA and the acumen to succeed while the others background is very limited with a degree in Cosmetology.(!) It should be mentioned that after MBA'er was promoted to supervisor Cosmet. person whined and cried that she had been there much longer and deserved the promotion instead, essentially putting up such a fuss that she was co-promoted and added to the bureaucracy.

One last key point to understand that if you are not brown-nosing and keeping abreast of all social issues, office politic issues etc. you may very well find yourself caught off guard. If you choose to work at Zoll in the Intake/ Reimb. dept. be ready to play CYA all the time. Also, don't expect equitable treatment at time of reviews etc. For the longest time management used flawed metrics to judge employee performance to such an extreme they even put monthly reviews on hiatus. If you are a buddy-buddy with the people in charge you can CYA and get them to cover for you. Otherwise you will be looked at as an outsider. Once you are an outsider expect the team leads, supervisors and manager/director to covertly undermine your ability to do your job. Once they have decided you don't fit into their fiefdom you might as well find a new job because you cannot do anything to get into their psychotic form of good graces. Management and supervisors are above reproach. Just like the 3 months leading into to a major software change the supervisors and team leads were tasked to test the software for issues so we could have a smooth transition. Instead they surfed the net and shopped etc. never testing the software. In turn the Intake Specialists were running around putting out fires when the software was fully implemented because of their ineptitude.

In ending this review I want to apologize to the Territory Managers and Account Coordinators and their management because we were told by our Intake/Reimb. management to ignore their needs and not act as team players. This lead to loosing a lot of good TM's and AC's because of frustrations and stress. I hate to sound so cliché but "I was just following orders." and when I tried to be a team player they ousted me. I hope it gets better for the sake of my friends that still work there but with the Intake Dept. leadership not changing and only getting more bureaucratic with sycophants I don't see that happening anytime soon.

To the Intake/Reimbursement Dept. supervisors/ manager/ director. Resign...Let some one that doesn't have a buddy buddy political slant come in and do the work that needs to be done with a business mindset.

Solid engineering department but need stronger management

I have been working at ZOLL Medical as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Able to learn on the job
    - Good community

Cons

- Separation between engineers and management

- Clearer goals and listening to senior employees more

Positive growth outlook

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time

Pros

Good cooperation between most departments. Advancement opportunities exist due to rapid growth. Diverse workforce. Salaries are competitive. Company is willing to hire inexperienced but qualified individuals.

Cons

Rapid growth equates to long and sometimes stressful days. Parking is difficult. Not a place for those who dislike change in their daily routines.

Profit sharing plan for all employees would improve morale.

ZOLL Medical Photos