ZOLL Medical

Updated February 19, 2015
Updated February 19, 2015
2.8

Richard A. Packer

Pros
  • Good people for the most part -- most want to come in every day and do a good job (in 5 reviews)

• Flex time and overtime is available, and the build has a nice atrium (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no idea of the work being done in their departments (in 5 reviews)

• There is a high turnover level not only in staff but also senior staff and management levels (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company - but a good-ole-boy system

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time

Pros

Company makes a great product that saves numerous lives daily. Organization is stable and growing at a steady pace and outlook looks great Good employees.

Cons

As mentioned consistently in reviews, management is out of touch with reality. Quotas continue to rise significantly while territories constantly shrink. As least in the division I work in, they continue to use some convoluted formula looking at the population density in a given area rather than the actual number of clientele. Promotions are at the whim of management and they promote those who will stroke their ego rather than basing on performance and experience.

Continue to focus on quality rather than quantity. Treat the organization as the worldwide company it has become and not like the good ole boy company it use to be.

Zoll Lifevest Turnover of Sales Reps Huge

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at ZOLL Medical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good if you want some medical sales experience on resume. Salary plus commission is ok in the short term.

Cons

Sales quota increases every month regardless of situation. Company does not give you time to build territory. Once you get behind quota, you can't make money. Doctors and patients get very upset at patient cost for device due to lack of insurance coverage. Even if you get physician to prescribe device, many patients refuse device or can't afford device.
    Two years is a long time for a rep to stay with this company. That should tell you something.

Structure a commission plan that allows reps to build a territory

Nightmare! Worst company to work for EVER

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical

Pros

There are no pros, its bad from every angle

Cons

Compensation plan designed by idiots, split territories without notice, fight sales people on every level. Sales people are treated like bottom feeders. You will make NO money and work tirelessly doing administrative tasks the inept home office staff should accomplish. Complete disconnect with doing the right thing in every instance. Such a poorly managed company with high turnover, can't believe they will survive. No one happy.

Go to business school, learn how to manage a business and market a fairly decent product. It is unbelievable the poor planning and decisions you make. You will drive yourself into the ground.

Growth

I have been working at ZOLL Medical

Pros

Growth and sustaninablity are key strategic metrics

Cons

Grwoth and sustaiaablity are challenges to lead

Keep foscused on the strategic with out losing sight of "who" supports these effrots

Territory Manager / Sales Position Review

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at ZOLL Medical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Unique product that can save lives. Product has no competition. Role allows territory manager to partner with doctors and staff to make a difference in the lives of patients and their families. Flexible work environment with good work/life balance. Work out of home office. Generally speaking, the people at Zoll are good to work with. Can make good money if one is fortunate enough to have a good territory. If it wasn't for their sales goal structure, I would rate the company as a 4 or 5.

Cons

Sales model is crazy and unrealistic. Territory revenue goals increase the same amount, for every territory in the Nation, every two weeks, regardless of potential or past performance. Eventually, goals grow so much they exceed market potential; making it impossible for the Territory Manager to make good money. A Territory Manager has the best chance of making big money their 1st year and then each year after that goes down because the goal grows so much. The company is also expanding the sales force which is shrinking the size of the territories and limits places for the Territory Manager to go to grow the business. This also limits earning potential. Career opportunities are limited.

Consider changing the sales goal model. That is the main reason turnover is so high within the sales team. Maybe management wants it that way for strategic reasons; however, Zoll is losing a lot of quality and dedicated representatives with established customer relationships because of these goals. Additionally, the company is missing out on recruiting good talent because Zoll Life Vest has developed a reputation for these goals and people don't want to leave a stable situation for one that will likely be short-term.

A great company to work for!

Current Employee - Material Handler in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical

Pros

ZOLL has really great benefits, a fantastic work environment and good leadership within the company.

Cons

The only real complaint I have about this company is that, although they do allow many paid days off, holidays are not given off.

Allow bigger space within departments for personal growth.

Frustrating working experience

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time

Pros

excellent technology for a previous unmet need with excellent opportunity to expand skill set and develop strong relationships with customers. Evolving product line and tech improvements on the horizon,

Cons

Unrealistic sales quotas, especially as a TM becomes tenured. The workload increases as territory grows but incentive comp flattens out or even declines with time. Turn over rates remain high in and around 25%. Quota attainment based on uncontrollable factors derived from insurance reimbursement that may or may not cover product. very top heavy in management, ranging 7:1 ratio, following a very pharmaceutical like model. no annual review process, making it difficult to gain insight into development and progression.

they don't care about their employees

Former Employee - Territory Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ZOLL Medical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

they pay well but you will lose in getting your money back

Cons

employees are not valued at all

Doing their best

I worked at ZOLL Medical full-time

Pros

There was never a time that I felt we did not care about the customer. Sometimes the day-to-day challenges of getting things done obscured what was important, but in the end, we always got back on track. Growing organizations have lots of opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The company was growing fast. It was easy to get behind on the little things that make big differences, like providing positive feedback or recognition. Managers forget that there are solutions other than working harder.

Don't lose the sense of urgency. With a big organization, problems can get "stuck in committee."

Good workers but poor management for the most part.

Former Employee - Production Tech in Cheswick, PA
    Former Employee - Production Tech in Cheswick, PA

I worked at ZOLL Medical full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are, for the most part, good people. Fun to talk to, easy going, easy work.

Cons

Poor management, a growing company with no room for growth of individual employees, we all got moved from one building to another, and EVERYBODY got put onto first shift, resulting in pay loss for full-time employees on third shift, and led to me having problems with attendance. When I was fired, my recruiter told me it was due to attendance issues, but I feel that the real reason was because I applied for a concealed carry permit. I sent in the permit application on a Tuesday, and was fired that Thursday, right about the day the Sheriff's Office would have gotten my application and called my references and my job.

Don't fire people for obtaining legal permits, and don't overlook those in the company to promote instead of hiring people on from the outside.

ZOLL Medical Photos