ZOLL Medical

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
2.8

Richard A. Packer

Pros
  • Good people for the most part -- most want to come in every day and do a good job (in 5 reviews)

• Flex time and overtime is available, and the build has a nice atrium (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no idea of the work being done in their departments (in 5 reviews)

• There is a high turnover level not only in staff but also senior staff and management levels (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A great company to work for!

Current Employee - Material Handler in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical

Pros

ZOLL has really great benefits, a fantastic work environment and good leadership within the company.

Cons

The only real complaint I have about this company is that, although they do allow many paid days off, holidays are not given off.

Allow bigger space within departments for personal growth.

Frustrating working experience

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time

Pros

excellent technology for a previous unmet need with excellent opportunity to expand skill set and develop strong relationships with customers. Evolving product line and tech improvements on the horizon,

Cons

Unrealistic sales quotas, especially as a TM becomes tenured. The workload increases as territory grows but incentive comp flattens out or even declines with time. Turn over rates remain high in and around 25%. Quota attainment based on uncontrollable factors derived from insurance reimbursement that may or may not cover product. very top heavy in management, ranging 7:1 ratio, following a very pharmaceutical like model. no annual review process, making it difficult to gain insight into development and progression.

Doing their best

I worked at ZOLL Medical full-time

Pros

There was never a time that I felt we did not care about the customer. Sometimes the day-to-day challenges of getting things done obscured what was important, but in the end, we always got back on track. Growing organizations have lots of opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The company was growing fast. It was easy to get behind on the little things that make big differences, like providing positive feedback or recognition. Managers forget that there are solutions other than working harder.

Don't lose the sense of urgency. With a big organization, problems can get "stuck in committee."

Good workers but poor management for the most part.

Former Employee - Production Tech in Cheswick, PA
    Former Employee - Production Tech in Cheswick, PA

I worked at ZOLL Medical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people you work with are, for the most part, good people. Fun to talk to, easy going, easy work.

Cons

Poor management, a growing company with no room for growth of individual employees, we all got moved from one building to another, and EVERYBODY got put onto first shift, resulting in pay loss for full-time employees on third shift, and led to me having problems with attendance. When I was fired, my recruiter told me it was due to attendance issues, but I feel that the real reason was because I applied for a concealed carry permit. I sent in the permit application on a Tuesday, and was fired that Thursday, right about the day the Sheriff's Office would have gotten my application and called my references and my job.

Don't fire people for obtaining legal permits, and don't overlook those in the company to promote instead of hiring people on from the outside.

N/a

I worked at ZOLL Medical

Pros

Great company, growing very quickly.

Cons

Difficult to grow with the organization.

Account Manager

I worked at ZOLL Medical

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Was sold to japaness change the commission structure also decimated middle management

change companycommission structure also do not limit the psr income ability

Do things fast over do things right

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ZOLL Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People work hard and fast, even not right. A lot areas can be improved and open to new ways and ideas

Cons

People didn't work smart enough to make continuously stable progress. Performance issues recurred all the time. Fears to be punished by spending longer time to do the right thing
    Health insurance is not good.

Give employee time to do the right thing that will eliminate trouble in the future. Don't push too hard on get things done fast.

Decent atmosphere, boring work, company technologically stuck in the 90's.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

First of all, everything in this job is dependent on what department you work in. Every department is VERY different. Each one has their pros, and their cons, and their different atmospheres. I've spent six months here, to give you perspective on my opinions. The direct coworkers around me are great. Incredibly friendly, super helpful, encouraging, I never feel like I'm asking dumb questions etc. Everyone works to support everybody else as much as possible throughout all of the departments in this room. Everyone I walk by in the halls says Hi, it's actually odd if you walk by someone and they don't say hello. Everyone is outwardly very friendly.

The company is very focused on healthy living. They have a great gym, healthy food options that they are always improving. Employees are encouraged to participate in workplace hiking groups, marathons, fitness challenges, and there are even weekly chair massages done my a woman who comes in. I will say that they do seem to try hard to make employees generally happy in these ways.

Many people in upper management have been here for 10, 15, 20 years and have worked in a ton of different departments. There seems to be flexibility in jumping around. You are very likely to get hired as a temp if you do a good job (which isn't that hard). They like to keep good workers around, and they like to give employees opportunity here. (I have heard the opposite for the PA location though...)

The job is easy.... I get a lot of support and guidance for my direct tasks, and I am left alone to do my thing most of the time. It's very much the type of gig where you clock in, do what you do, and clock out. Managers are pretty understanding of days you need off, or being sick, or needing time to go to a doctor. As long as you don't abuse it, everyone is very understanding.

I personally have felt tremendously lucky to be in this department. The management has done nothing but support and encourage me, and pushed me to apply and go for a full time position. While this isn't a company or a job I want to be at long term (for reasons explained below) it is a great starting point in my opinion. A bonus is knowing that the work you are doing is directly influencing peoples lives because this is state of the art medical equipment used by thousands of organizations around the world.

Overall pros: Good atmosphere on a micro scale. Clean building, good resources, Nice bathrooms. Coworkers are helpful and friendly. Good job for short term- under five years.

Cons

The company itself isn't as satisfactory as whole. It grew so quickly that there are just so many divisions.. so many departments... so many managers... too much of everything. I never hear from upper management, and have zero idea what most other parts of the company even do which is ridiculous since it all is important. I hear much more about departmental conflicts and catty behavior than I do about what there actual jobs are. I do get the impression that the longer you are here, the more chance you have to jump around and meet people, but you are just as likely to be stuck in the same gig forever. Also, the more you move around the more chance there is to meet awful people.

HR is awful, that's all I will say about that.

The companies databases are ARCHAIC. Every department and group uses different programs to accomplish there work and none of the programs talk to each other. It's incredibly frustrating to have all of these important prices, serial numbers, accounts, etc. in flimsy hacked together databases that only 12 people can access. Each project gets a new database?? Very ineffectual. Zero transfer of information across the board. Regularly have to struggle and ask others to access simple information. I get a lot of my work on excel sheets. They desperately need a consolidated database, but nobody cares enough to take the time to sort through this disorganized mess. The company is just growing too quickly for anyone to keep up with. So many employees are clearly frustrated by this, but nothing is done.

That also lends to a lot of people taking advantage in upper management. Things are very numbers driven and I can see in other departments that it puts the employees under stress.

The work IS SO BORING. And you can honestly just skirt by as long as you hit your numbers and make it look like you are working. Case in point, I am writing this during lulls at work this very moment. Repetitive, mundane tasks unless you are in any type of management position in which case they seem constantly stressed, and like they have too much on their plate. It's like the company expects things to happen at the snap of a finger, and expect it to be done with the tools of a caveman.

There are many, many people in upper positions who are just snobs. They are catty, driven by politics, and try to undermine people in other departments or roles. There is a HUGE divide between the sales reps and the rest of the company... The sales reps could easily either be super friendly, or wicked big jerks. Entitled, snobby, annoying. I thankfully do not interact with them much at all. Mid management positions are usually much more understanding of the work people do, and therefore, so much better to work for.

All in all, the company is too divided in every sense of the word. Camaraderie and unity within departments, disconnect and catty behavior outside. Especially if you are dealing with others not based in your location. The companies technology is far too outdated for what they are trying to accomplish.

Overall cons: Archaic systems, terrible inter company communication, high levels of stress for long term employees, boring work, ineffectual structure as a whole. As a temp I don't have benefits but most people seem to be underpaid and have sub par benefits. Vacation time is also a bit skimpy. You cannot use Sick days as vacation time.

Spend time creating unity within the company. Pay more attention to your employees, and work WITH the other areas of upper management. Maybe try and come together to create better work processes for the company as a whole rather than trying to undermine and attack people in other departments to try and get ahead yourself. Also get more IT guys its RIDICULOUS that it takes days for technical requests to be addressed... actually it takes days for ANYTHING to be addressed, everyone is just wholly unorganized.

Give your employees the tools to succeed, because in very upper management it seems all you care about are the numbers and the $$$. This company seems unsustainable in this state.

Please just organize yourself, and get with the times....

Average but slowly improving

Current Employee - Manufacturing/QA/Materials in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing/QA/Materials in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is not too bad if youre in the right department. Ive heard not so encouraging stories in other departments but am pleased with my pay and my department. Very nice facilities/environments. Family feel to the environment. Benefits are not too bad but could be better.

Cons

HR is a total joke! They are clueless most times and act annoyed if you inquire about anything. Tuition Reimbursement is not the greatest. They want the best of the best but dont want to fork the money on promoting within or growing current employees. Some "clique-i-ness" does go on. Parking situation is horrendous and little help is given when someones car gets wrecked by the valet.

Consider growing current employees rather than bringing more people from off the street. Cut back on the temp to hires and start bringing in at least some direct hires in manufacturing. Establish a better standard when it comes to review time. Most employees are confused at to what the standard is or what their yearly goal is. Most dont even know what a developmental plan is. Managers are not on the same page most times. One manager will allow certain conduct in their department that are not permitted in others. Rules should be across the board.

great experience for a first internship

I have been working at ZOLL Medical

Pros

great environment, friendly people and quality product.

Cons

No free lunch, low pay. No bus

ZOLL Medical Photos