ZT Systems

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
1.7

Frank Zhang

It was a good learning experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at ZT Systems as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Gain exposure on how certain aspects of the business worked. Encouraged to learn and do things independently. Staff did work as told and sometimes helped others.

Cons

Lack of training, opportunities for advancement were very political. If you could get in the clique, you were set. If you didn't ...

Odd but seems to be working.

ZT Review

I have been working at ZT Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some great people who work at ZT Systems, starting at the top with Frank.

Cons

Sometimes getting things done was disorganized.

Stressful place

Former Employee - Operations in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Operations in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at ZT Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and friendly staff

Cons

Many ... The reviews on here are 100% correct. I just wish the CEO is aware of things that are happening around him and enforce some changes.

Please value and respect your people as they work their butts off. Stop treating your people like children by yelling and so on...

The biggest mistake you will ever make !

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at ZT Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No pros at all !!

Cons

You cannot trust any one in this company. I used to work in IT departmen. Every month people get fired or they leave the company. I left the company as they make me work 14 hours a day and they also make you work on weekend and don't pay you for that. When I joined ZT systems Glassdoor was the web site I referred to but I was wrong in making my decision. Please do not join this company even though they give a good salary. People on H1 B please never make a mistake of joining this company.

Everyone in this company is Chinese and they don't treat other people well. Everybody in this company is stressed out for their work environment.

Please improve your self and stop micro managing.

Salary

Former Employee - Warehouse in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at ZT Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Relaxed work atmosphere , Great place to work while in between jobs.

Cons

The companies main workforce consists of very low paid temp workers who are not properly skilled or provided proper training to perform the work assigned to them. These workers are consistently and frequently replaced when they cannot perform their work efficiently. The ones that do learn the jobs have to work months even years before they are hired and they are offered just pennies above minimum wage. I was inventory control coordinator with no prior experience and was leading a team of several workers when I was offered a permanent position as lead coordinator they offered me 8.38 per hour to start......I could only assume what my yearly salary revue would have gotten me...I decided to go back to school.

Start showing some respect and dignity to the people that are helping your company make millions and Stop exploiting hard working people..This is america guys not a sweat shop in China.

If you love warehouse work

Current Employee - Technician in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Technician in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at ZT Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Can not mention any pros with this place. Trying to leave as soon as I can to get a real computer job.

Cons

Its alright if you are starting out in the field, but if you like long hours and some overtime and doing slave type work. and the place is very dirty. Not a place for a real computer technician ever dream of working at.

Get real.

Working here is the worst mistake you can make, unless you have no experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at ZT Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is growing rapidly. The are friendly. Office is an easy commute plus it is near the train station and the company provides a shuttle bus to take you to the train station at the end of the work day. Other than the free beverages, it gives college graduate experience for their next jobs and builds character for their future employers.

Cons

If I had to describe the company in two words, I would have to say it is a "sweat shop". The company culture is a very strongly traditional Chinese culture, and they make you work as long as possible with very little pay. Most of the employees' are Chinese and do not speak english very well. Sometimes it becomes very difficult to do ones job because of the language barrier. Most people do not mind because they are asian but for non-asian employees it becomes frustrating at times. People generally do not speak to each other for fear of being reprimanded from top management. As a result you barely know anyone's name in the office, and they like it that way. Employees are expected to stay in their cubicle all day and not socialize with anybody. My first month there, I was told to stay in my cube and keep my head down if I wanted to stay with the company by my boss. The turn over rate for employees is very high. Every month, at least 2 to 4 people leave the company. Either by resigning or being fired. So many people leave the company, that sometimes there is no point in learning someones name because they probably won't last that long to begin with. It isn't just social people. Most people don't like the culture. The company does not treat its employees well at all. They try to belittle you and make you feel incompetent by yelling at you and treating you like a child. HR is also useless. Instead of helping employees, they rather not be involved in any issue. HR had no concern for the employees safety and barely closed the office. Employees were expected to come in during major snow storms and any other bad weather, even if highways are closing. The company barely has days off and only grants its workers the mandatory days off. So any other holiday you are expected to work and discouraged from even taking sick days. There are few benefits, and no company activities. They do not try to bring employee morale up what so ever, so again the atmosphere is very cold, dry, depressing, and stressful. Lastly, the company does not offer professional growth. in the years I have been with the company, I have not seen more than 2 people move to a different department. When there have been open positions, the company rather looking for a new candidate outside the company rather than promote somebody from within.

Please take time to invest in your employees and make them feel welcomed. Help lighten the corporate atmosphere. You have many great employees who are very intelligent. Try to keep them to help the company grow and help the company succeed. Please do not ignore these reviews. Most of these reviews are very accurate. If you would listen to these reviews and help resolve issues, you will have a better culture and employee relationship.

High Tech Company Near NYC

I have been working at ZT Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is small and flexible making it easy to respond to customers. Decisions are made quickly by a "working" management team. Everyone is "hands-on" including Frank. The pay and benefits are good. The office environment is quiet and free from drama. People work hard and take ownership of their work.

Cons

Small companies are very sensitive to disturbances. Anything that distracts from the business at hand is not received well. I have seen this at many small companies. It is generally a necessity but sometimes makes people feel uneasy if they socialize at work.

Keep developing the management team and reward managers who have open dialogue with their employees. Continue to make tough decisions regarding employees but consider more openness.

"Interesting"

I worked at ZT Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pretty easy job, benefits decent.

Cons

Company is too private, you don't even know half of your coworkers because they are afraid of different departments sharing information. Only the receptionist knew a list of employees and extensions. It was frowned upon for coworkers to even interact or dawdle around each others desks. High turn over rates for employees. Not an enjoyable work environment, too stiff. Management needs improvement, very difficult to get your work done when your superiors don't even know what they are doing.

Repair your orders of operations. Learn to lighten up, let employees interact and make it feel less of a crooked prison.

Inefficient Dysfunction

Current Employee - Marketing in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at ZT Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many employees are quite friendly. The company is growing quickly so new people arrive regularly. The location is surprisingly public transit accessible and has lots of parking. My team was friendly and helpful and made me feel welcome, albeit from a distance. Benefits package matches similar manufacturing companies in the sector.

Cons

The company has two platforms upon which it operates: extreme secrecy, and extreme budgetary constraint. Unfortunately these two factors result in considerable corporate malaise. Inefficiency runs rampant, the result of blatantly ineffective processes, overpromoted managers with practical skills but no management abilities, and underinvestment in employees (including misleading or outright lying on the part of HR and others). Overbearing secretiveness also has its dangers, resulting in rampant cliques of employees with access to certain knowledge or resources they refuse to share (even with orders from above), widespread sabotage by unhappy employees, dubious touched-up paperwork when real data can’t be acquired, and inter-employee spying. From all this come project delays and missed deadlines, a conspiratorial mindset, and a strangely pervasive unwillingness to save in the long term if short term savings can be achieved.

A weird silence – especially in areas near management – is strictly enforced by higher ups. I was told on my second day not to talk unless necessary, and though not as strict as that, there is definitely a pervasive sense of solitude and the need to look busy. Though by no means widespread, I also faced or witnessed routine sexual, racial, or homophobic comments or actions by members of staff. An alternately combative and ineffective HR team surely didn’t help the situation. Combined, these “cons” have helped push me out of ZT Systems.

Invest in your people. Many managers have been promoted from within or from other companies, but have no idea how to manage. Instead of firing them or allowing them to ruin their teams, invest in management training. Managers, value your people. Give them room to grow and demonstrate that you value their work with more than money and cheap pizza. Develop a corporate culture that isn’t just hard work and silence: a ping pong table in the cafeteria isn’t the worst idea ever. (And allow people to relax in it periodically – the table alone won’t solve your problems!) Read and understand that these Glassdoor reviews represent often consistent voices from across the company: listen to them, don’t just denigrate them and call them liars.