Zachry Construction

Add Photos

John B. Zachry

Great pay, strenuous hours

Pipefitter Helper (Former Employee) Front Royal, VA

ProsWork was reasonable, pay was great. The people I worked with made me really feel like I belonged.

ConsAs the job went on, started to work 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. Had no time for my family or friends.

Zachry Junior High School (Lubbock)

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lubbock, TX

ProsThis review is for the Lubbock High Voltage segment. I've heard a lot about Zachry before I started work there so I was excited to get started. Pros for this location are the four- ten hour day work week; Monday thru Thursday. Every weekend is a mini-vacation. Pay is also really good for the Lubbock area anyway. That is it!

ConsThe leadership/management including foremen WILL NOT recognize your experience or knowledge in relation to your hired duties. Regardless of your career level you will start off with no respect as a human being and as "not one of us". This segment is also not up to par with the latest technology for administrative tasks; ex: work orders, time management (labor hours), record keeping. The technology for the mentioned is late 90's methods, time consuming/tedious.

Lubbock management also is not welcome to new ideas for work processes or the better way of doing anything. If you share ideas you will be shot down and looked on as gunning for someone's job. The management is near retirement and does NOT like a younger employee to suggest good ideas which may change things. Either they truly don't grasp the idea and it's effectiveness or they are just stubborn.

Zachry Lubbock also has too many incompetent employees on payroll, some are family and other just friends. Lots of integrity issues here.

Safety is not number one. The safety person who sits in his office all day knows almost nothing about running a safety program. When I came on board it was ridiculous what I witnessed in relation to near misses and uninformed employees about the danger of their work. I know more about safety than anyone at this location as far as general safety, regulations, processes. I even tried to give some great ideas but was ignored. Safety program needs a serious revamp!

Advice to Senior ManagementThis advice is for San Antonio. I have no doubt Zachry can be a great place to work. The Lubbock segment needs some serious attention in these areas. If I was running the show I would place someone from San Antonio in charge or to oversee this segment NOW, here locally. You DO NOT know what takes place here from day to day. You come here every now and then and see what they want you to see when in fact it is not like that. Too may great accomplished employees have left here because of the above CONS. It's frustrating to go from an organized, technology enriched, professional work environment to come here and see that it is 10 yrs behind. I know Zachry is not like this everywhere. Get some people here with education to manage or an official HR person from San Antonio. Every employee here that speaks out is retaliated against, sad to say. I know this review will be in the office circulation email with people whispering, trying to find out who it was.

If there was a ZERO, or MINUS, they would get it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosit's just a job, couldn't wait to find another one,

Consblatant age discrimination (exact same tasks as younger person recently hired with same interview, no training yet younger gets it plus all the attention, plus higher status title even though I was there far longer) especially among lower echelon jobs; middle management has no clue on how to manage, promoted because you've been there the longest, not on merit, everyone angry all the time. Promotted b/c you whine. Mgt forgets about the lowly admin types...unfairness reigns

Advice to Senior Managementremove negativity among your employees, from top to bottom. promote from within with meaningful title and promotion salary if the situation warrants

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

it was so so.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe pay was ok I guess

Consno training they made u feel like you was on your own

Zachry is a decent company to work for. Safety is no. 1 with them and that is good. Good people to work with.

Production Tech (Former Employee) Muscatine, IA

ProsGood place to work. Jobs weren't laborious and environment was pleasant to work in. I liked the attention they put on safety.

ConsOnly way to put it is they are cheap. They don't pay overtime unless you WORK 40 hrs a week. Vacation and holidays don't count towards your 40 hrs. They moved the start of the week times 3 times w/o informing me and cost me losing OT hrs. Hard to get a raise. I go to work to earn money, not get cheated out of it. we went two years w/o and injury and only got a meal, shirt and a piece of pewter with their name on it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a comprehensive pay scale and leave no doubt what you have to do to get a raise for production techs. Include holiday and vacation in the 40 hours so a person can make some money. Give a person a raise in 3 to 6 months if they have good attendance and do a good job. If you don't do this, you will have increasing turnover. Give EVERYONE a gift card for Christmas instead of pulling names out of a hat and only 3 to 5 out of 85 people have a chance to get anything. Basically, treat people right and your business will shine.

Working at Zachry is great except promotions or advance within are hard to come by...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAlot of good training opportunitiies...

ConsLot of remote work sites...

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look internal before going out on the street for high level needs...

Expect more from a nearly 100 year old company

Project Manager (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThe building and facilities are nice. People are friendly. The main office has a gym and cafeteria and gated parking.

ConsExtremely poor management and business strategy. People are promoted for the wrong reasons. Success is not about experience and skill.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting people because they hunt and fish.

A good opportunity for those with little experience.

Office Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Pros-Great people
    -Hard workers
    -Laid back atmosphere

Cons-Lack of communication with management
    -Technology is very out of date
    -Low salary with a high expectation of work hours

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what your employees are saying when they suggest more simplistic processes. Update your technology or productivity will suffer.

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sweeny, TX

ProsGreat Company to work for as long as your in the right position.

ConsI have never worked at HQ, i work at a refinery. Our technical manager and my current manager don't get a long so there is almost no support from Zachry. I know there are a great company, just not where I'm at.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the guys that really make you your money and maintain your contract relationships.

Zachry Engineering Construction

Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLaid back atmosphere with great people from various parts of the world. I learned a lot during my internship there and we worked on the procurement of a major project.

ConsI did not see a clear career ladder or step process in which a starting engineer would follow.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet a training path for incoming jr. engineers and various career path options.

Worked for Zachry Construction? Contribute to the Community!