Zachry Construction Reviews

John B. Zachry

1. Safe and Friendly Environment

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Orange, TX
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Orange, TX

I have been working at Zachry Construction full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Safe, Friendly, OK salary

Cons

I don't have any cons with this this field of work

2. Manager

Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Zachry Construction full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, small enough to know leaders but large enough to have a recognizable name within the industry, competitive pay and very informal atmosphere.

Cons

Depending on position there may be long hours.

3. HP Zachry

Current Employee - Senior Scheduler in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Scheduler in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Zachry Construction full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The upper management do things because it's the right thing to do. Care about their employees.

Cons

Pay could be a bit more but you have good benifits

5. Overall good place to work

I worked at Zachry Construction full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good group of people to work with -- good safety culture. Reasonable benefits. Worked with a good supervisor who recognized the benefit of work/life balance.

Cons

It is difficult to move forward in a career path. Management tends to just work for "management" -- need to listen to the workers on the front line.

6. A job that I wanted to wake up and go to work every day.

I worked at Zachry Construction full-time

Pros

Zachry is a very good company to work for. The company culture is like a family. Compensation and benefits are really good.

Cons

It's very hard to get hired into the company. They focus on internal hiring and friends and family of others.

7. good internship

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Zachry Construction as an intern

Pros

Good work environment with friendly co-workers.
    Engineers always willing to help on tasks they assigned.
    Lots of emphasis on safety.

Cons

Some tasks around the office became personal projects that were just meant to kill time until projects picked up.

8. Very good company

Former Employee - Construction Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Construction Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Zachry Construction (more than a year)

Pros

good compensation as well as good advancement

Cons

people are easily stagnant in place unless you are motivated

Experience at this employer wasn't a great experience. They have a lot of pessimists working in management.

Former Employee - Project Controls - Cost in Pascagoula, MS
    Former Employee - Project Controls - Cost in Pascagoula, MS

I worked at Zachry Construction full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Salaries are above average for the area. The work schedule is nice, off every Friday due to working a 4-10 work schedule. There are opportunities for overtime.

Cons

Challenges are management doesn't believe in the selection of the best candidates for the position. The workforce structure is biased and somewhat portrays racial undertones. Most minorities are laborers while management and top paying crafts are white Americans. Their hiring practices are also questionable, the neighboring cities have a nice talent pool but they mainly recruit their employees from adjacent counties due to ethnicity and race.

Change your hiring practices, extend job opportunities to the people of the communities that you're conducting business and operating in.

10. I was an electrical helper in the office

Former Employee - Electrical Helper in Riesel, TX
    Former Employee - Electrical Helper in Riesel, TX

I worked at Zachry Construction full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed learning the job and being in the office

Cons

working in construction is not for me.

11. Zachry Junior High School (Lubbock)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Zachry Construction full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This review is for the Lubbock High Voltage segment. I've heard a lot about Zachry before I started work there so I was excited to get started. Pros for this location are the four- ten hour day work week; Monday thru Thursday. Every weekend is a mini-vacation. Pay is also really good for the Lubbock area anyway. That is it!

Cons

The leadership/management including foremen WILL NOT recognize your experience or knowledge in relation to your hired duties. Regardless of your career level you will start off with no respect as a human being and as "not one of us". This segment is also not up to par with the latest technology for administrative tasks; ex: work orders, time management (labor hours), record keeping. The technology for the mentioned is late 90's methods, time consuming/tedious.

Lubbock management also is not welcome to new ideas for work processes or the better way of doing anything. If you share ideas you will be shot down and looked on as gunning for someone's job. The management is near retirement and does NOT like a younger employee to suggest good ideas which may change things. Either they truly don't grasp the idea and it's effectiveness or they are just stubborn.

Zachry Lubbock also has too many incompetent employees on payroll, some are family and other just friends. Lots of integrity issues here.

Safety is not number one. The safety person who sits in his office all day knows almost nothing about running a safety program. When I came on board it was ridiculous what I witnessed in relation to near misses and uninformed employees about the danger of their work. I know more about safety than anyone at this location as far as general safety, regulations, processes. I even tried to give some great ideas but was ignored. Safety program needs a serious revamp!

This advice is for San Antonio. I have no doubt Zachry can be a great place to work. The Lubbock segment needs some serious attention in these areas. If I was running the show I would place someone from San Antonio in charge or to oversee this segment NOW, here locally. You DO NOT know what takes place here from day to day. You come here every now and then and see what they want you to see when in fact it is not like that. Too may great accomplished employees have left here because of the above CONS. It's frustrating to go from an organized, technology enriched, professional work environment to come here and see that it is 10 yrs behind. I know Zachry is not like this everywhere. Get some people here with education to manage or an official HR person from San Antonio. Every employee here that speaks out is retaliated against, sad to say. I know this review will be in the office circulation email with people whispering, trying to find out who it was.