Zales Reviews

Reset
2.8
Zales CEO Theo Killion
Theo Killion

Pros
  • Great home/work life balance, management team that hears its employees (in 4 reviews)

• Zales offers a place to learn and grow, while having a work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management wasn't that great (in 6 reviews)

• Some long hours as manager, peak times are highly demanding (in 5 reviews)

1. Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coppell, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coppell, TX

I have been working at Zales full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good management in place to support career growth.

Cons

No real cons to speak of.

2. Good Biz

Former Employee - Sales Associate in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in White Plains, NY

I worked at Zales

Pros

Good commissions Good work hours to an extent

Cons

work environment is hostile Boss was very rude

Advice to Management

treat people with more respect

3. Jewelry consultant

Current Employee - Jewelry Consultant

I have been working at Zales part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customers are nice, get to learn where they got their jewelry and the travels. Coworkers are okay for the most part.

Cons

DM and corporate don't care about the front line people. They don't give enough recognition and only care about the sales.

Advice to Management

Take more care of your employees.

5. Fun challenges

Current Employee - Jewelry Consultant

I have been working at Zales full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company full of challenges !

Cons

Not a lot of product

Advice to Management

No advice I love my upper management!

6. Sales

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lavonia, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lavonia, GA

I worked at Zales

Pros

Pro,health care, flexible shifts ,bonus

Cons

Sundays, nights, pressured sales for high goals

7. Commission will make or break livable salary

I worked at Zales

Pros

I enjoyed helping guests find jewelry for their special occasions. Schedule was flexible for part-timers

Cons

Commission varies hugely depending on what location you work at. Outside hire is more common than promoting from within for mgmt positions.

Advice to Management

More training focused on jewelry, less on social skills. Review associates more frequently than annually

8. Where do I start?!

I have been working at Zales

Pros

Some good co-workers Holiday commission ( you earn that yourself. any pros you earn yourself)

Cons

Bad management Poor Pay No movement up No employee respect No work life balance Does not address complaints Treats you like a number No matter your sales it's never good enough We went without a store manager and short staffed for 8 MONTHS. They constantly change requirements for jewelry consultants and managers. Slaved full time during school even though I was told I wouldn't work more than 20 hours. Then when I graduated we got a new manager who was terribly favoring of one consultant, rude, treated us like we were incompetent and cut me to 7 to 15 hours a week. Never seen a company who doesn't care about employees. All of my complaints and concerns were unheard and unresponsive to and not solved.

Advice to Management

If a store doesn't have a manager or is not fully staffed, for goodness sake hire people instead of letting g us suffer to cover all the hours. Pay those who work hard and stay more. Address employee complaints....why would you let wrongdoing go on?

9. Don

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Zales

Pros

Not much. Climb the ranks and you'll be compensated. Bonuses were good.

Cons

Too many to list. Very time intensive and office politics. Not much support.

Advice to Management

Be careful who you hire as executives! An associates really isn't enough when it comes to upper management!

Worst Company I have ever worked for. STEAR CLEAR

Current Employee - Jewelry Consultant in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Jewelry Consultant in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Zales

Pros

High-End products. Commission. Breaks. Opportunity for full-time is employed 6 months or longer

Cons

My first day there two girls ripped off a customer who was buying his fiance an engagement ring. They over charged him a ton of money and he never found out because they told them the incorrect price for being "rude". They then sent his ring out for a repair to the wrong company, and told the company to put a completely different gem inside. Just to mess with him because he was getting an attitude for they were talking instead of helping him. Who wouldn't get mad! The employees and manger were on there phones constantly. Only 3 customers entered the store during the entire 8 hours I was there. Zales is the worst diamond company I have ever witnessed. Buy your jewelry elsewhere as well as job hunting. Poor benefits and awful for managing work and personal life. The most awful people I have ever met in my entire life. I didn't even give a two week notice. I ran right out after my shift was done and never went back.

Advice to Management

Close half of your stores. They are ruining your revenue. The management is sleazy and nasty and those particular zales have a rotten reputation

Watch out for snakes...

Former Employee - Customer Service in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Irving, TX

I worked at Zales full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good cafe food, great co workers who have become long time friends, and you can wear jeans everyday as long as they are in good condition but don't wear tennis shoes.

Cons

Ever since the new VP on the call center came through, everything went downhill! They hired a workforce that literally watches every move you make. They are currently installing an IVR where they will watch every move your mouse makes and every inbound/outbound call that is made. When you put your phone in a "not ready" status, you have to put a certain code in that lets the employer know why you are in "not ready" For example, if it's for a restroom break,special project, meeting, training, lunch, etc. If you go meet your boss for something and put your phone in "special project" and then rush to bathroom and come back but didn't put your phone in "restroom break" before going, be ready to have to email the workforce team as to why you didn't put your phone in "restroom break" before going. They watch EVERY move you make! Watch out for the "snakes" too. That's referring to bosses who try to be your friend by buying you things or bringing you snacks then trying to get you written up or fired behind your back! They are in that office, trust me! Several people I know who worked there a long time went through it and were good workers! I almost went through it myself, but was smart in the long run and got out! In case you didn't know already, a new business bought them out, called Signet, and they are slowly weeding out other people to bring their own there. I have a strong feeling, having been there a good while, that in a few years, Zales will no longer exist. Signet's stores are already selling some products Zales created themselves!

Advice to Management

Stop being so sneaky and learn how to acknowledge your employees good work. Also learn how to talk to your employees professionally and don't bring them down in front of the whole call center floor!

RSS Feed </> Embed