Zales

Be The First To
Add Photos

Zales CEO Theo Killion

Theo Killion

Pros:
  • "Zales offers a place to learn and grow, while having a work-life balance"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Zales Offers Great Employee Discounts"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "The upper management wasn't that great"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Long hours, seven days a week and overtime is expected at peak times including holidays when malls are still open"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

6 Years with Company!

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Fort Collins, CO

ProsGreat company to work with. They love to promote from within and sincerely care about what their employees think.

ConsSome long hours as manager, peak times are highly demanding.

A Life, A Salary, Your Sanity - Choose Two.

Milwaukee, WI

ProsYou make or break your own success here. You can do nothing and ignore your coaches/managers and get no results, or you can listen and do the work and get the results you're looking for. All it takes is good personal skills, a smile, and a willingness to talk to a lot of people all day.

ConsYou can do everything and get all the results you want, but upward mobility is slow, clumsy, and unlikely. And so, even if you're the best part-time sales rep the store has, fat chance of getting promoted to full time. And if you're full time, even if you're over-achieving on all your monthly goals, getting a raise (or even an increase in hours) is a laughable dream. What's worse, the individual store management has such little power over firing employees that even incompetent co-workers stay on board and negatively impact the atmosphere and success of the entire sales team.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide opportunities for even Jewelry Consultants to attend and participate in leadership development/business development seminars, just as the managers are. Jewelry consultants will only marginally perform until they take personal ownership of the success of their store as a whole.

Sharing the love

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Blaine, MN

ProsGreat pay, support from upper management, truly care for all employees

Consnot a of of budget hours for hourly JC's. Lots of pressure for management

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep supporting the people who run your stores. It's nice to know you truly care

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't Do It

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe other employees I worked with where great people. They want me to write more but there is nothing good about this Zales

ConsWhoever sells the most, they are the ones who get the most Hours. And that person might even get overtime. While you only get 32 hours..

Advice to Senior ManagementSTORE MANAGER. How do people ever learn to be better???training is not good... Store Manager never works...

Get ready to stress yourself out.

San Diego, CA

ProsMet some people who I became life long friends with and the interactions with your clients who make you feel happy about your job when they always drop by to say hi.

ConsSales goals are horrible here. I do not recommend this job to college students because instead of stressing about finals, you're stressing about your sales goal. And keep in mind, it's not all about your sales goal. You have to make 10% in warranties and 5% of repair goals, both from your overall month sales. You also need to hit your credit app goals and you need to sell a carat solitaire a month. And what I hate the most is special events. This CEO has special events every month. It's horrible because you could make your sales goal, but it's never good enough since you didn't get a special event sale or credit apps or warranties or repair sales. I do not recommend this job unless you are ready to be bothered at home for a customer repair your coworker overlooked and is lazy to make calls to figure out what vendor it is at and when it will be in. The top sales people, some are cool. Others are full of themselves and take advantage of the fact they can snitch about anything but if they do something wrong, it's never acknowledged equally to a consistent sales person. This company is bought out and it's really hard to stay on the ride when it's a really rocky journey. The first people they blame are us, the jewelry consultants. It's our fault that guy bought a $5,000 ring but he didn't buy the I2I3 1 carat for $2800. You could sell over $10,000 one day and you're coworker sells a $4,000 1 carat solitaire, you're coworker would get more RECOGNITION. You're pay is nothing only on holidays unless you're unlucky and get a bunch of returns. Be ready for inventory too. You drop everything to greet that one customer who wants to try everything for an hour and doesn't buy anything. It's you're fault she didn't buy anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the special events and give back to your employees. We are human beings, not money signs.

Zales Jewelry Consultant

Charleston, SC

ProsThe training (3 months long) teaches you a lot about jewelry and sales strategies. The environment was laid back and the employees were helpful when I had questions or was struggling with a customer.

ConsThe commission structure sucked when you were new because if you are with a customer throughout their whole experience, but another employee helps you out a little, you have to split the sale 50/50. To me, it didn't seem completely fair, and made me hesitate to ask for help.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love the training, but not a lot of the employees follow the sales structure to a "T". Possibly keep an eye on the employees and their sales techniques.

Lack of Integrity

Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsWarehouse was climate controlled which made it nice with the weather changes is Texas

ConsWarehouse management (in all positions) has been around too long and there are too many skeletons in their closets. Each one knows just enough on the other to keep things interesting.
    Integrity is lacking and there is to much inconsistency, favoritism and no accountability for some.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into a few of the staff's background and history to see what there is that is hidden. You might have to look very closely but watch your back.
    You might consider looking into the Kronos tracking for a few of the members in control.
    I loved my job and felt I was making a difference. Thanks for the privilege of working for Zale's.

Zero interaction with senior mgt

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Hot Springs, AR

ProsThe potential to advance is available if you word your butt off with little pay while doing it with a smile. The company has since been bought by signet and is the worlds largest jewelry retailer and may now have improved.

ConsWas not hired on at the pay I was promised. It took one year as a "store manager in training" before a store opened up and became available to me. During this time I starved on minimal pay even though I reached an elite status during this time. The compensation for time served didn't pay off either as a store manager pay was nothing in comparison to job duties and hours worked. The highest level of interaction with upper mgt was two times with my regional mgr in a surprise visit. No other time could you reach senior mgt!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake yourself available and Listen to your employees who actually sell to customers!

I like working with people, team environment everybody pulling there weight It's nice to see the whole team win.

Shipping Receiving Clerk (Former Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsIt was like everybody was family everybody was willing to help helped me develop some new people skills. More patience with others that might not get new procedures as quick. If I had an appointment to go to that afternoon it would be easy to get some one to cover for me and I would do the same for them.

ConsI started working for ZALES as a temporary agent and going permanent the pay increase was very generous. As it came time for annual reviews some years the merit increase was good and some not so good. They would do what they could on the not so good years like cater lunch in for us reward us with movie tickets or lunch ticket for the cafeteria. It's a nice company over all it was good they would do this for us to show that board of directors and Management had the staff in mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think some of the same people get recognized a bit frequent, I would hate to see the look of disappointment on some of the other team members face that are really trying but just not as fast physically or quick thinkers. I understand it's a good tool t help others get their productivity up so I would propose more one on ones besides yearly employee review.

Great

Irving, TX

ProsGreat visibility from senior leaders

ConsPoor cross functional communication, short timelines for big projects

Worked for Zales? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zales reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Zales CEO Theo Killion. All 66 reviews posted anonymously by Zales employees.