Zales

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015

Zales CEO Theo Killion
Theo Killion

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling, work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Zales offers a place to learn and grow, while having a work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management wasn't that great (in 6 reviews)

• Some long hours as manager, peak times are highly demanding (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Overall Work Enviroment

I have been working at Zales

Pros

Time Management is a great opp in overall enviroment

Cons

Great Customer Relations, good long term relationship with peers and guest

6 Years with Company!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Zales full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work with. They love to promote from within and sincerely care about what their employees think.

Cons

Some long hours as manager, peak times are highly demanding.

Favoritism

I have been working at Zales full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, work life balance

Cons

Too much favoritism to elite jewelry consultant by manager. No training by managers just talk. Too much gossip. No support by dm

Dm promises something and backs out. Always making up stories to cover self.

The worst in my 14 years

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Zales full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very easy If you don't like a challenge. They provide training with dvds. Don't expect go much help. Your pretty doing it on your own. Get self help books, learn extra on the side. They provide DCA course but that's super easy too.

Cons

No need for an education here. Managers are not that intelligent: Poor benefits, unprofessionalism, some minor unethical behavior and disorganized.

Expect split days off, schedule changing every week, and disrespectful supervision. Problems arise to inappropriate conduct, deceitful jewellery consultants and managers.

When you start they immediately sign you up for there pay card. So your check goes onto there program. You have to wait two weeks to cancel our transfer that money to your own.

I've had my district manner tell me my mba different mean anything there. It doesn't. Working here I feel like I'm 18. There's no team strictly individualism.

Don't talk down to your people, repremend employees better, don't treat your highest sales person as gold even when there not professional, be fair, be competitant, at least set realistic goals, communicate better.

From the corporation, let's get smarter. Implementing systems, products, and processes better. Your causing chaos at the store level.

And please stop being so fake. The biggest problem I see is the amount lying that is done. It seems like lying is appropriate here from the top down. You definitely don't need an education here to work. It shows.

A Life, A Salary, Your Sanity - Choose Two.

Former Employee - Jewelry Consultant in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Jewelry Consultant in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Zales part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You make or break your own success here. You can do nothing and ignore your coaches/managers and get no results, or you can listen and do the work and get the results you're looking for. All it takes is good personal skills, a smile, and a willingness to talk to a lot of people all day.

Cons

You can do everything and get all the results you want, but upward mobility is slow, clumsy, and unlikely. And so, even if you're the best part-time sales rep the store has, fat chance of getting promoted to full time. And if you're full time, even if you're over-achieving on all your monthly goals, getting a raise (or even an increase in hours) is a laughable dream. What's worse, the individual store management has such little power over firing employees that even incompetent co-workers stay on board and negatively impact the atmosphere and success of the entire sales team.

Provide opportunities for even Jewelry Consultants to attend and participate in leadership development/business development seminars, just as the managers are. Jewelry consultants will only marginally perform until they take personal ownership of the success of their store as a whole.

Sharing the love

Current Employee - Store Manager in Blaine, MN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Blaine, MN

I have been working at Zales full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay, support from upper management, truly care for all employees

Cons

not a of of budget hours for hourly JC's. Lots of pressure for management

Keep supporting the people who run your stores. It's nice to know you truly care

Zales Jewelry Consultant

Former Employee - Jewelry Consultant in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Jewelry Consultant in Charleston, SC

I worked at Zales part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The training (3 months long) teaches you a lot about jewelry and sales strategies. The environment was laid back and the employees were helpful when I had questions or was struggling with a customer.

Cons

The commission structure sucked when you were new because if you are with a customer throughout their whole experience, but another employee helps you out a little, you have to split the sale 50/50. To me, it didn't seem completely fair, and made me hesitate to ask for help.

I love the training, but not a lot of the employees follow the sales structure to a "T". Possibly keep an eye on the employees and their sales techniques.

Don't Do It

I worked at Zales

Pros

The other employees I worked with where great people. They want me to write more but there is nothing good about this Zales

Cons

Whoever sells the most, they are the ones who get the most Hours. And that person might even get overtime. While you only get 32 hours..

STORE MANAGER. How do people ever learn to be better???training is not good... Store Manager never works...

Get ready to stress yourself out.

Former Employee - Jewelry Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Jewelry Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Zales part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Met some people who I became life long friends with and the interactions with your clients who make you feel happy about your job when they always drop by to say hi.

Cons

Sales goals are horrible here. I do not recommend this job to college students because instead of stressing about finals, you're stressing about your sales goal. And keep in mind, it's not all about your sales goal. You have to make 10% in warranties and 5% of repair goals, both from your overall month sales. You also need to hit your credit app goals and you need to sell a carat solitaire a month. And what I hate the most is special events. This CEO has special events every month. It's horrible because you could make your sales goal, but it's never good enough since you didn't get a special event sale or credit apps or warranties or repair sales. I do not recommend this job unless you are ready to be bothered at home for a customer repair your coworker overlooked and is lazy to make calls to figure out what vendor it is at and when it will be in. The top sales people, some are cool. Others are full of themselves and take advantage of the fact they can snitch about anything but if they do something wrong, it's never acknowledged equally to a consistent sales person. This company is bought out and it's really hard to stay on the ride when it's a really rocky journey. The first people they blame are us, the jewelry consultants. It's our fault that guy bought a $5,000 ring but he didn't buy the I2I3 1 carat for $2800. You could sell over $10,000 one day and you're coworker sells a $4,000 1 carat solitaire, you're coworker would get more RECOGNITION. You're pay is nothing only on holidays unless you're unlucky and get a bunch of returns. Be ready for inventory too. You drop everything to greet that one customer who wants to try everything for an hour and doesn't buy anything. It's you're fault she didn't buy anything.

Stop the special events and give back to your employees. We are human beings, not money signs.

Lack of Integrity

Former Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Irving, TX

I worked at Zales full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Warehouse was climate controlled which made it nice with the weather changes is Texas

Cons

Warehouse management (in all positions) has been around too long and there are too many skeletons in their closets. Each one knows just enough on the other to keep things interesting.
    Integrity is lacking and there is to much inconsistency, favoritism and no accountability for some.

Look into a few of the staff's background and history to see what there is that is hidden. You might have to look very closely but watch your back.
    You might consider looking into the Kronos tracking for a few of the members in control.
    I loved my job and felt I was making a difference. Thanks for the privilege of working for Zale's.