Zara

Zara Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Zara First Deputy Chairman and CEO Inditex Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera

Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera

Pros:
  • "good pay and bonus every month dependent on how the company does"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Employees dynamic was very positive to the work environment"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "too much responsibility, long hours, having to stay behind to cash up"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Employee discount is basically nonexistent (covers tax percentage)"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Retail high pace

I have been working at Zara

ProsEase of communication inside of the company

ConsCustomer service ethic
Turnover
Retail hours
Communication with Spain is challenging due to time difference

I would recommend this job to my friend for a while

I worked at Zara part-time for less than a year

ProsMannagers are good comparing the other stores

Consvery short breaks, really hardworking , no insurance for a long time

Advice to Senior Managementpay more attantion to newly hired employees

Idiots in positions of power

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Zara

ProsI love the clothes, the ambiance. Some really wonderful professional people who keep leaving, if that tells you anything.

ConsHorrible discount. Terrible HR - Don't expect a call back if you have a problem. No clear directions on what the expectations are. Miserable experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are not your flying monkeys.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible place

I worked at Zara part-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery flexible hours you pretty much can make your own schedule

ConsThis place only promotes people who speak spanish.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop favoring spanish people

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

If you actually have a brain, don't work for this company

Cashier (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Zara part-time for less than a year

ProsThere's not much to say in the pro category for this company. They overwork you, underpay you but expect your 10 cent an hour job to be your life

ConsIf you actually have a brain and you aren't just a robot, don't work here. All of my managers ended up quitting because they used their brains and had opinions and operated the store in ways that make sense as opposed to the black letter of the employee manual and that didn't go over well with corporate.

Should have paid attention to the reviews, relying on blog hype about the product no care for junior employee relations

IDK Cashier, Sales Associate, Stock (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Zara part-time for less than a year

ProsCompetitive pay plus pool commission
Good place to go if you need a part time job as a student

ConsPoor communication
Lack of proactivity
Appears as across between thoughtful boutique, runs like forever 21
Has the potential to feel like a tight knit family organization at the store level, but it takes a serious left somewhere. In store, corporate mean girl weird situation. IDK
Closing is dreaded and not handled properly so you could potentially close until midnight the store closes at 8 and 6
Any incentive or benefit was about after hire, such as how to get an employee discount, tailoring on ill fitting uniforms or premature failed seams, whether or not you may be full time or part time
Important Information given in the morning meeting by the management team told to apx 12 people is expected to be passed down to everyone by the next work day, if you don't get the information that's your fault

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst impression: not so good.
Example the uniform shoes caused cuts and blisters, after many complaints and PROOF of cuts and blisters then and only then could you wear less irritating black casual shoes. What the prison camp?!!
A lot of reviews state that management is horrible, but I would like to offer is this; I'm not sure the management knows that their horrible. If someone doesn't know something they're less likely to fix it. I was hired in the situation of a store opening which for any company is hectic and I left based on the fact that managers and longer term employees have turned a blind eye to being proactive in daily operations. They (the management) wait until there's an issue in order to half way respond unless the Issue comes from higher. The one way accusatory conversation that I had tonight was all I needed to write this review, and it seems that this is happening in more places than this new store in Seattle. I wrote an e-mail to HR asking for advice from a the perspective of someone who wanted to walk out in the middle of a chaotic shift, at that time the response from management should have been to investigate my claim, to refocus to the team by asking for pro and cons from that experience and how we could improve from the troubled time we were all having. Instead the management ignores it, which is an action that has the potential to a set back employees encouraging sales. Confused, flustered employees don't make good sales people and cashiers, and within the store I've heard some horror stories and have been apart of one myself. I was told that the customer is perspective is always right, I am a customer paying full price for my items and I perceive that having frustrated employees is bad for reputation and loss prevention. The moment an employee stops caring is the moment you have a a problem. They're not interested in changing, or accepting a problem so that everyone can move on. I just expected more, everyday I was there I found that I cared less to be there.

Great place to work

I have been working at Zara

ProsThere are opportunities for growth

ConsCommunication between stores and corporate

It was fun yet very stressful.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Zara

ProsGot to meet great people that I am still friends with

ConsIts retail so you are basically working every weekend

is the vacation worth the overtime?

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Zara full-time for more than a year

Pros2 weeks off in summer and winter for salaried managers.

Consexpected to work unpaid hours because of poor budgeting.

Advice to Senior Managementconsider managers work life balance to ensure longevity, loyalty and better business practices.

Terrible place to work.

I worked at Zara part-time for less than a year

ProsThere are no pros at this job.

ConsMany of the managers were verbally and emotionally abusive. They'd say things like "we are watching who is doing the job and only the best people are going to stay here." As if we were on survivor and hadn't ALREADY been hired and weren't all working our butts off. The store was terrible mismanaged and under staffed. Issues like the fitting room being too small for a FLAGSHIP STORE (thus the line running 30 people long across an entire wall) and the stock room being four flights of stairs away with only two people working in the stock room, were obviously key to customer frustration, but there is little a sales associate can do to improve service in those circumstances. Yet we were told daily to work on "customer service!" as if we would be able to improve anything without the support or resources. Also, there were like 3 single stall bathrooms for approximately 100+ employees? Oh, also we didn't get 15 minute breaks which is illegal. When I once requested one from a floor supervisor she said "we don't do that here." I will never step foot in another Zara store for as long as I live. It's a shady and greedy corporation that doesn't deserve my (or anyone else's) money. AND the founder/primary shareholder is the third richest man in the world. It's disgusting.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate infrastructure that actually functions. Train and hire managers to have respect for employees. There was clearly no respect or appreciation for lower level employees. There were a handful of genuinely nice managers, but they were far and few between, and ultimately, they didn't have control of the gross mismanagement of the store. I've worked in retail environments where all employees are actually treated with dignity (see, Apple), and those are the companies that actually provide good customer service and keep employees. I don't understand what Zara's fear is of a) treating its employees with basic decency and b) fixing what doesn't work.

Seriously though, other people with negative experience—can we form a support group or something.

Worked for Zara? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zara reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Zara CEO Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera. All 275 reviews posted anonymously by Zara employees.