Zara Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated September 3, 2014
2.9

Zara First Deputy Chairman and CEO Inditex Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera
Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera

Pros
  • good pay and bonus every month dependent on how the company does (in 18 reviews)

• Employees dynamic was very positive to the work environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Necessity to wait three months until you can get your employee discount and uniform (in 23 reviews)

• Rude customers, high turn over rate, 15% discount (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best Experience

Current Employee - Human Resources Administrator  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Administrator in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Zara full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Family kind of environment
    -Time flies
    -Managers are very understanding
    -Flexible schedules

Cons

-Very busy and fast, but I enjoy it

One of the better retail stores to work for.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Sherman Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Zara part-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty room for movement within the store, even possibility of transferring to different store to be a manager of some sort if you do really well. Pay was pretty decent for a retail store. I think starting was $11. The people at the location where I worked were friendly and helpful. You do get yearly reviews that allows for a chance to get a raise.

Cons

Black out dates during holidays. No benefits unless you're full time. Discount was 10 or 15%.

Horrible. Working for almost a year. (Part-Time)

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Zara part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Good experience for a 1st job.
    -Good pay.

Cons

-Cheap clothing is over priced.
    -HORRIBLE management (always changing your schedule, not enough hours)
    -Irresponsible managers, miscommunications, hypocritical, favoritism)
    -You don't get a raise unless they like you, they don't even care about hard work.
    -The company doesn't care about employees.
    -Customers are snobby thinking that we're servants to only please them.

Be more organized and less hypocritical.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad store management

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Zara part-time for less than a year

Pros

• Uniform provided
    • Okay Salary of $10 per hour.
    • Commission per department
    • Employee discount of 15%
    • Direct deposit

Cons

• Although I worked as a Sales Associate for 9+ months, I never received a discount card & parts of the men's uniform.
    • Unprofessional and immature managers.
    • Uncomfortable and unfriendly working environment.
    • Performing responsibilities outside job position and without promotion.
    • Very unorganized management.
    • Schedule changes without being notified and confirmed.
    • Witnessed managers giving employees disciplinary actions to intimidate and not as a consequence action.
    • Witnessed managers wrongfully accuse employees and consumers of theft very unprofessionally.
    • Scheduling outside of availability

Improve working environment.

Empty promises to keep stringing you along!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Zara part-time

Pros

They give a decent base pay for just being a sales associate. They provide uniforms that make it very easy and you don't have to pay for them. Also during sale they give almost everyone full time hours (except I have heard that this will change for any one who is not technically full time). They are also very eager to extend short shifts to make them full 8 hour shifts and people are always trying to give shifts away making it easy to add on hours. Customers are friendly and actually make it fun to be at work.

Cons

They string almost everyone along with empty promises of opportunity to grow in the company. The most qualified people get ignored for promotions (that they are sometimes promised) and instead they promote "favorites", even when the person is incompetent. When giving these "empty promises" they have you do the job without the pay you should be getting or any full time benefits. I have worked in four different Zara stores and seen this happen at every store and with multiple people, myself included.

Actually do what you say you are going to do. I have seen so many amazing assets to the company leave because they were being taken advantage of by management. Management only finally decides to do something about it when they are backed into a corner or it is too late. Also, if someone is not doing their job right then they should not have it. I have never seen more unqualified people have management positions in my life. After mistake after mistake after mistake they should be fired instead of just pretending like nothing happened.

is the vacation worth the overtime?

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Zara full-time for more than a year

Pros

2 weeks off in summer and winter for salaried managers.

Cons

expected to work unpaid hours because of poor budgeting.

consider managers work life balance to ensure longevity, loyalty and better business practices.

This company could do better

Current Employee - Management  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Zara full-time

Pros

Lots to learn teaches all the basics. Fashion forward and clothes are on trend. If you survive here you can survive anything.

Cons

Ridiculous employee discount, long hours, not enough hours given to accommodate the nature of a FAST FASHION retail business, hard work is never acknowledged, favoritism stems from corporate.

There is a serious need to replace corporate managers.

I see Zara has a new Managing Director, I hope he reads this and makes changes in Corporate Managers and the unprofessional way they manage stores. They are unfair when promoting staff and they focus on looks rather than abilities I've seen great management/staff get passed up for being over weight and good looking employees promoted even when they're not ready -a common practice- If they do not like you they pick on you rather than train you.

Speaking your mind leads to outcasting and plans to banish you begin to take form.

Management turnover is extremely high because they're not trained properly. Zara's expectations do not match the support they provide, often going months without seeing corporate management. Working long hours is expected, exceeding the salaried 40 hours.

Advice for a manager looking to work for Zara is to stay far from here. There is potential for growth but it depends IF corporate managers like you, the criteria isn't always job performance. Human resource department is the worst, untrained and unprofessional and never confidential. This company has potential to be great if they just get real qualified and college educated corporate managers rather than current corporate managers that are doing it all wrong.

Alright

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Zara full-time for less than a year

Pros

Honestly, a pretty standard retail job. Folding clothes, doing inventory, dealing with customers.

Cons

I always feel like I am either being worked into the GROUND one week, the next week only working one or two days.

worst corporate retail job ive ever had

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Zara full-time for more than a year

Pros

I do not have anything positive to say about ZARA.

Cons

CONS:
    Lets start with Management.
    First and foremost, the management at the store i worked at were HORRIBLE. We went through 4 store managers in about 5 months.

They mistreat you by talking down to you and ignoring you unless you are a product leader. The employees in these stores are treated like cattle since there are usually A LOT of employees. There is no room for growth like they promise you in the interview. You dont even have a chance in this company if you are not hispanic or speak spanish.

The customer service in this store is extremely lacking. That is by employees AND especially cashiers and managers (who are usually VERY RUDE to customers who are making returns)

As a former employee (full time and for a year) I would NEVER recommend anyone for this job. The girls are catty and competitive and cliqy. The managers choose favorites and speak to each other in spanish infront of you and customers (unproffesional)

Ive been snapped at, yelled at, threatened and have had many sleepless nights due to the stress I and many other former employees have had to deal with.

I even wrote a letter to HUMAN RESOURCES and never heard back from them. The managers act VERY differently when corporate is not around. There are a lot of fake women running this store, very corrupt.

Learn how to treat your employees better! Zara wouldnt be such a revolving door if management were nicer and took the time to train there employees. Stop picking favorites. Stop being rude to csutomers when they have returns. Stop telling employees they need to wear make up and look better if they want to succeed at there store. Stop encouraging employees to "compete" with other employees by burning bridges and causing drama in the stores.
    Stop being BITCHES.

Im talking to YOU Evelyn, Sophia, Adeby's, and Joanne from Century City Mall in Los Angeles CA.

Zara is professional

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Century City, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Century City, CA

I worked at Zara part-time for less than a year

Pros

The staff is very professional and because it is a corporate and international, everything is very professional.

Cons

If you work on the floor, folding clothes all day will make your back hurt.

No advice.

Worked for Zara? Contribute to the Community!