Zara

Zara Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Zara First Deputy Chairman and CEO Inditex Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera

Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera

Pros
  • good pay and bonus every month dependent on how the company does(in 18 reviews)

• Employees dynamic was very positive to the work environment(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Necessity to wait three months until you can get your employee discount and uniform(in 23 reviews)

• Rude customers, high turn over rate, 15% discount(in 23 reviews)

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

is the vacation worth the overtime?

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros2 weeks off in summer and winter for salaried managers.

Consexpected to work unpaid hours because of poor budgeting.

Advice to Senior Managementconsider managers work life balance to ensure longevity, loyalty and better business practices.

Bad store management

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros• Uniform provided
    • Okay Salary of $10 per hour.
    • Commission per department
    • Employee discount of 15%
    • Direct deposit

Cons• Although I worked as a Sales Associate for 9+ months, I never received a discount card & parts of the men's uniform.
    • Unprofessional and immature managers.
    • Uncomfortable and unfriendly working environment.
    • Performing responsibilities outside job position and without promotion.
    • Very unorganized management.
    • Schedule changes without being notified and confirmed.
    • Witnessed managers giving employees disciplinary actions to intimidate and not as a consequence action.
    • Witnessed managers wrongfully accuse employees and consumers of theft very unprofessionally.
    • Scheduling outside of availability

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove working environment.

Empty promises to keep stringing you along!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThey give a decent base pay for just being a sales associate. They provide uniforms that make it very easy and you don't have to pay for them. Also during sale they give almost everyone full time hours (except I have heard that this will change for any one who is not technically full time). They are also very eager to extend short shifts to make them full 8 hour shifts and people are always trying to give shifts away making it easy to add on hours. Customers are friendly and actually make it fun to be at work.

ConsThey string almost everyone along with empty promises of opportunity to grow in the company. The most qualified people get ignored for promotions (that they are sometimes promised) and instead they promote "favorites", even when the person is incompetent. When giving these "empty promises" they have you do the job without the pay you should be getting or any full time benefits. I have worked in four different Zara stores and seen this happen at every store and with multiple people, myself included.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually do what you say you are going to do. I have seen so many amazing assets to the company leave because they were being taken advantage of by management. Management only finally decides to do something about it when they are backed into a corner or it is too late. Also, if someone is not doing their job right then they should not have it. I have never seen more unqualified people have management positions in my life. After mistake after mistake after mistake they should be fired instead of just pretending like nothing happened.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company could do better

Management (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsLots to learn teaches all the basics. Fashion forward and clothes are on trend. If you survive here you can survive anything.

ConsRidiculous employee discount, long hours, not enough hours given to accommodate the nature of a FAST FASHION retail business, hard work is never acknowledged, favoritism stems from corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a serious need to replace corporate managers.

I see Zara has a new Managing Director, I hope he reads this and makes changes in Corporate Managers and the unprofessional way they manage stores. They are unfair when promoting staff and they focus on looks rather than abilities I've seen great management/staff get passed up for being over weight and good looking employees promoted even when they're not ready -a common practice- If they do not like you they pick on you rather than train you.

Speaking your mind leads to outcasting and plans to banish you begin to take form.

Management turnover is extremely high because they're not trained properly. Zara's expectations do not match the support they provide, often going months without seeing corporate management. Working long hours is expected, exceeding the salaried 40 hours.

Advice for a manager looking to work for Zara is to stay far from here. There is potential for growth but it depends IF corporate managers like you, the criteria isn't always job performance. Human resource department is the worst, untrained and unprofessional and never confidential. This company has potential to be great if they just get real qualified and college educated corporate managers rather than current corporate managers that are doing it all wrong.

Alright

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsHonestly, a pretty standard retail job. Folding clothes, doing inventory, dealing with customers.

ConsI always feel like I am either being worked into the GROUND one week, the next week only working one or two days.

worst corporate retail job ive ever had

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI do not have anything positive to say about ZARA.

ConsCONS:
    Lets start with Management.
    First and foremost, the management at the store i worked at were HORRIBLE. We went through 4 store managers in about 5 months.

They mistreat you by talking down to you and ignoring you unless you are a product leader. The employees in these stores are treated like cattle since there are usually A LOT of employees. There is no room for growth like they promise you in the interview. You dont even have a chance in this company if you are not hispanic or speak spanish.

The customer service in this store is extremely lacking. That is by employees AND especially cashiers and managers (who are usually VERY RUDE to customers who are making returns)

As a former employee (full time and for a year) I would NEVER recommend anyone for this job. The girls are catty and competitive and cliqy. The managers choose favorites and speak to each other in spanish infront of you and customers (unproffesional)

Ive been snapped at, yelled at, threatened and have had many sleepless nights due to the stress I and many other former employees have had to deal with.

I even wrote a letter to HUMAN RESOURCES and never heard back from them. The managers act VERY differently when corporate is not around. There are a lot of fake women running this store, very corrupt.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat your employees better! Zara wouldnt be such a revolving door if management were nicer and took the time to train there employees. Stop picking favorites. Stop being rude to csutomers when they have returns. Stop telling employees they need to wear make up and look better if they want to succeed at there store. Stop encouraging employees to "compete" with other employees by burning bridges and causing drama in the stores.
    Stop being BITCHES.

Im talking to YOU Evelyn, Sophia, Adeby's, and Joanne from Century City Mall in Los Angeles CA.

Zara is professional

Cashier (Former Employee) Century City, CA

ProsThe staff is very professional and because it is a corporate and international, everything is very professional.

ConsIf you work on the floor, folding clothes all day will make your back hurt.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice.

Awful Management

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Sherman Oaks, CA

Pros-Huge variety of hip/stylish clothes and accessories and new products every week
    -Extremely nice complimentary uniforms (Full suits for men)
    -Lots of opportunity for advancement
    -Coworkers were a lot of fun

Cons-Horrible employee discount (15% and only good at the store you work at)
    -Often make you do the work of a higher level position without paying you for it (for example: doing visual merchandising for your entire department, creating clothing orders as if you were a manager, changing window displays)
    -Terribly unflexible hours, especially if you are part-time
    -The managers have no real managing training and were basically sales associates that got keys and a raise. Really unprofessional and created unnecessary conflict between employees.
    -You are constantly pushed to sell products and give service as if it were a department store, but for less money than an in-n-out employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe opportunity for advancement is amazing but complete training for higher positions needs to be enforced. The amount of work you do for the money they are paying you is ridiculous.

Very Unappreciated even though worked really hard, unethical and unrealistic expectations, with horrible managment.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prospays better than many other retail stores. full benefits for full-time employees or salary positions. very nice coworkers. they work with your hours if you are a part time employee and full time student.

Consthey don't appreciate your hard work and your teamwork. they make you work as if you are two employees and not only one! Management has favorites and treat employees very unfair. They try to be as cheap as possible when it comes to employees because its a growing company. We where lacking even lunchroom at many times in order for stock people to process their shipment. their expectations are all the way to the roof and at the same time they are not very clear with what they expect from people. There is usually misunderstanding between managers and they usually would reflect it very negatively on their employees. if you are a salary position forget about having a life. they would change schedules last minute and always expect you to do as they wish.

Overworked and under appreciated

Sales Associate/Keyholder (Current Employee) Hollywood, CA

ProsIt is easy to get promoted, just come in everyday and don't ever call out.
    Pay is pretty decent, just ask for more than you normally would when you apply.

ConsStressful work environment.
    Always feel as if we are understaffed.
    New hires are never trained fully by management, so older employees either have to finish training them or suffer.
    Serious company politics- cashiers get to stand around and do fraction of work then other employees.
    Managers just stand around "checking emails" for hours.
    If you are scheduled to work with any of the above you work twice as hard for the same pay.
    So even though the pay is decent its is canceled out by how hard you are worked.
    If you are full time then you must not have a life outside of work.
    Scheduling is always a big deal, everyone always has to work on shipment days, which can be difficult if you want to move up but have other responsibilities outside of work such as school.
    Overall this job can be extremely physical, when you are running around a huge store for 8-9 hours a day 5 days a week processing shipment and cleaning up gigantic messes in the fitting room.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a part-time key holder position for those who are capable of moving up into management but don't have complete availability.

Worked for Zara? Contribute to the Community!