Zara

Zara Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Zara First Deputy Chairman and CEO Inditex Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera

Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera

Pros
  • good pay and bonus every month dependent on how the company does(in 18 reviews)

• Employees dynamic was very positive to the work environment(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Necessity to wait three months until you can get your employee discount and uniform(in 23 reviews)

• Rude customers, high turn over rate, 15% discount(in 23 reviews)

AWFUL place to work.

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay rate and commission

ConsShort staffed all the time.
    Managers threaten people with file notes, and these are the same people that spend their time with their mobile phones in the office all day.
    After a year working there and trying to progress, I have noticed that everyone in higher places are related in one way or another.
    Managers are really childish and don't know the meaning of being professional at all.
    If managers don't like you (or if you're not friends or not related to them) they will not allow you to have requested days or any life outside of work or weekends off.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional and remember that the company pays you to work.

Working at Zara

Dependant At Zara (Current Employee) Madrid (Spain)

ProsYou learn, what is to work for nothing, you will learn how is like to earn 5 euros for an hour of your time. Dear Amancio is not multi billionaire because of paying high salaries.

ConsStressful enviroment, hideous supervisors, very low salary, slavery conditions, no possibility of personal development inside the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPatience, however you should not work here if you have better opportunities

Empty promises to keep stringing you along!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThey give a decent base pay for just being a sales associate. They provide uniforms that make it very easy and you don't have to pay for them. Also during sale they give almost everyone full time hours (except I have heard that this will change for any one who is not technically full time). They are also very eager to extend short shifts to make them full 8 hour shifts and people are always trying to give shifts away making it easy to add on hours. Customers are friendly and actually make it fun to be at work.

ConsThey string almost everyone along with empty promises of opportunity to grow in the company. The most qualified people get ignored for promotions (that they are sometimes promised) and instead they promote "favorites", even when the person is incompetent. When giving these "empty promises" they have you do the job without the pay you should be getting or any full time benefits. I have worked in four different Zara stores and seen this happen at every store and with multiple people, myself included.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually do what you say you are going to do. I have seen so many amazing assets to the company leave because they were being taken advantage of by management. Management only finally decides to do something about it when they are backed into a corner or it is too late. Also, if someone is not doing their job right then they should not have it. I have never seen more unqualified people have management positions in my life. After mistake after mistake after mistake they should be fired instead of just pretending like nothing happened.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They don't care if you have a family emergency, just get to work!

Cashier (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros$100 gift card at Christmas

Conshorrible management: managers are the FIRST ones to start rumors and gossip, very childish.
    customers are rude, impatient, and you can't even look at them without being reprimanded.
    you have to look a certain way.
    closing is horrible! be prepared to fold your life away.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more professional and wiling to help your employees. Everything is not "our fault", you are a MANAGER so please MANAGE us in situations that are beyond our control.

Unethical angora selling company

Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) Madrid (Spain)

ProsClothes look good, but don't make up for the negative unethical practices.

ConsMy value standards clashed with this company

Advice to Senior ManagementFix your values and stop skinning animals alive.

Idiots in positions of power

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI love the clothes, the ambiance. Some really wonderful professional people who keep leaving, if that tells you anything.

ConsHorrible discount. Terrible HR - Don't expect a call back if you have a problem. No clear directions on what the expectations are. Miserable experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are not your flying monkeys.

Terrible

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- Quality clothes
    - Have to wear a standard uniform so there is no need to think of an outfit to wear

Cons- Uncooperative management, extremely rude
    - Long hours, ridiculous amount of responsibilities only to be compensated with low wages

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a better role model for sales associates by providing a courteous, positive-filled environment. Does not matter how fast-paced and competitive the retail environment is, it is unacceptable to put on negative pressure onto your sales associates. It does NOT in anyway help them perform to the best of their abilities.

And for the amount of responsibilities a sales associate has, the pay should be much higher.

Terrible place to work.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere are no pros at this job.

ConsMany of the managers were verbally and emotionally abusive. They'd say things like "we are watching who is doing the job and only the best people are going to stay here." As if we were on survivor and hadn't ALREADY been hired and weren't all working our butts off. The store was terrible mismanaged and under staffed. Issues like the fitting room being too small for a FLAGSHIP STORE (thus the line running 30 people long across an entire wall) and the stock room being four flights of stairs away with only two people working in the stock room, were obviously key to customer frustration, but there is little a sales associate can do to improve service in those circumstances. Yet we were told daily to work on "customer service!" as if we would be able to improve anything without the support or resources. Also, there were like 3 single stall bathrooms for approximately 100+ employees? Oh, also we didn't get 15 minute breaks which is illegal. When I once requested one from a floor supervisor she said "we don't do that here." I will never step foot in another Zara store for as long as I live. It's a shady and greedy corporation that doesn't deserve my (or anyone else's) money. AND the founder/primary shareholder is the third richest man in the world. It's disgusting.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate infrastructure that actually functions. Train and hire managers to have respect for employees. There was clearly no respect or appreciation for lower level employees. There were a handful of genuinely nice managers, but they were far and few between, and ultimately, they didn't have control of the gross mismanagement of the store. I've worked in retail environments where all employees are actually treated with dignity (see, Apple), and those are the companies that actually provide good customer service and keep employees. I don't understand what Zara's fear is of a) treating its employees with basic decency and b) fixing what doesn't work.

Seriously though, other people with negative experience—can we form a support group or something.

The company culture isn't great, nor are the employee benefits.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsThe clothes are nice. Work life balance was never an issue because it was a sales role. There's opportunities to move around within the store.

ConsThe team is cliquey and there was lots of backstabbing at the store I used to work. They do not prioritize customer service. The stock organization system was pretty hectic.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and look out for your employees.

Hectic, stressful, no time for a family life

Cashier (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosgreat if you love clothes and fashion

ConsTerrible management, not trained to do their job and doesn't know how to talk to staff, squeezing all the profits out of the company and they give only 15% discount to the staff - NOT ENOUGH, job is very stressful and hectic, carry heavy boxes, you need to be always available, no life, no chances for other job. You come for part time job 20 hours and end up doing 45 hours a week if you refuse forget about extending your contract...

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your shop floor managers how to talk to people - manners doesn't cost...

Worked for Zara? Contribute to the Community!