Zara

Updated December 20, 2014
2.8

Zara First Deputy Chairman and CEO Inditex Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera
Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera

Pros
  • Multitasking, fast paced enviroment, international experience (in 22 reviews)

• people are nice good pay and its good for students who just want spare pocket money and part time (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Necessity to wait three months until you can get your employee discount and uniform (in 31 reviews)

• 15% discount does not allow for an affordable way to consistently represent the brand (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Regret taking the job

Current Employee - Full Time Sales Assistant in Brisbane (Australia)
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales Assistant in Brisbane (Australia)

I have been working at Zara full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opening the store - opening day was fast paced, exciting and fun

Cons

Management play favourites, favouritism based on best personality and not work quality.
    HR hired mass amount of staff for opening and promised all casuals 15+ hours a week then when initial hype and buzz died have out 3 hrs to majority of casuals, leaving them no choice but to find new jobs. (Many believe they knew his would be the case on hiring)
    Power struggles and cliquey groups established through management giving desirable jobs (replen) to favourite staff staff. This caused the favourites to believe they had more authority/more important then other staff and became very condescending.
    Stock in store was below average quality and completely wrong season! (Leftovers from European Zara) customers often commented on/complained about this.

Be honest with your staff! Give everyone a fair chance.

Management problem

Former Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Zara full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The trick to work in Zara Singapore....As long as you know how to please her.. You can be promoted.

Cons

Only those who good in boot licking will be promoted very fast.. Be it manager or even staffs... Doesn't matter if you work and serve long for the company.. When you don't join the rest to please the boss,you are invisible to them.. Even you don't have any image,don't even know how to speak simple English, as long as you 'angkat'... Confirm promote.

Try to go back to basic how to see REAL potential in staffs especially manager... Or maybe it's time to change the so call brand manager... Need to stop all favoritism its SO OBVIOUS.. Because of you... Most of us left because you only promote people that you like without even looking at us who never complain about anything... Before you stress on image... Look at the manager u been promoting...

Unorganized, No communication, Your Typical Heartless Mega Corporation

Former Employee - Department Manager - Mens
    Former Employee - Department Manager - Mens

I worked at Zara full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Experience
    -Fast Paced
    -Promotions (extremely high turnover rate, that's actually a con)
    -Met a few amazing co-workers

Cons

-Everything. NO Life/Work Balance
    -Discount is a joke. (15% off)
    -Extremely Negative
    -Worst communication with corporate. (Sometimes it would take over a WEEK until HR got back to me, including several time sensitive matters.)
    -Extremely Unorganized Senior Management(Regionals and HR)
    -To those who do not speak Spanish fluently: Forget it! You will never get further than store level.
    -Regionals try to start drama in stores because they don't want managers to get along. (It's so bizarre! They even
    make up lies!)

I have no advice. They are set in their ways.

Advice to those who love the Zara brand and think it would be great to work there: Avoid this place. As soon as it's decided that corporate no longer likes you/you're not the flavor of the month, they find ways to push you out the door. (I was promoted 4 times in 4 years)

Horrible management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zara part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Honestly, I can't find one good reason to work for this company. Not even sure what the employee discount was, I left after 4 days.

Cons

Unprofessional-sent an email the night before telling me my orientation was at 7am the next morning. None of the managers at orientation knew what was supposed to be done. Threw me on the floor my first day and expected me to know the ropes and do everything correctly.
    Tons of miscommunication. Unprofessional demeanor. The store manager didn't like the way something was done and proceeded to talk down to me, asking if I knew how to count.

High turn over rate. This particular location just opened-the first in the state within the month I was hired. There were already multiple people who quit or were fired.

Was clearly not the job for me, as I have a degree in fashion & retail management and was only allowed to refold items, and remove them from fitting rooms. No customer, or employee interaction for that matter, at all.

Treat employees with respect

Good Pay, Bad Morals

Former Employee - Department Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Department Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Zara full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation is competitive for sales associates and managers
    4 Weeks paid vacation as well as sick/personal days
    Fashion forward with bi-weekly shipments of new merchandise
    Work/life balance no worse than other retail positions and companies

Cons

- 15% discount does not allow for an affordable way to consistently represent the brand
    - Snob appeal is questionable enough when it is expected but it is absolutely ridiculous when there is nothing to be snobby about. To be snobby, one would expect a high end brand, quality merchandise, intelligent corporate and none of these things are present at Zara. Treat your customers and employees better... your're not impressing anyone!
    -There is no genuine customer service culture... it seems to be something the company wants to avoid being known for being bad at but doesn't even understand the fundamental trickle down that is necessary to achieve. Ability to increase sales is the only honest factor in a company that does not have the tools necessary to really achieve customer service - proper technology, merchandise that wont fall apart, helpful policies, empowered associates and managers. Mariela is fantastic but shouldn't have to solve problems that should have been avoided.
    - Extreme shadiness and inconsistency with human resource policies. Over 6 years, this can be attributed to many factors. First of all, there have only been a few attempts at any written handbook, all of which contained many mistakes. You ask three different people at corporate a question and you will get three different answers.... but at the end be personally accountable for doing what is "right." Even specific people would give different answers for the same scenario. For someone wanting to do the right thing and lead a team with honesty and clear goals, it was impossible. If you are ethical and fair, not a puppet, you will not be happy. I have seen many good people get hurt and not get what they deserved while others got away with everything for years. While everyone ultimately is going to look out for themselves, the way other people are treated or allowed to behave is so ethically wrong, that many have been just as upset about what happened to others as themselves... that shows you something.
    -Don't expect corporate to understand how to read a report, write a sentence, or answer a question effectively even in their respective discipline. The incompetence is rampant, embarrassing, and frustrating. Being intelligent at this company is not an advantage... in fact it will work against you.
    - The company vibe is terrible. There is no trust
    - The ignorance present at all levels is despicable. From "mistakes" on merchandise that are very obviously inappropriate, offensive or just careless to comments from superiors, I have seen and heard too much.
    - Racism is more obvious than the company may want to think. Under the disguise of "image" people are treated differently. The company will walk on eggshells to not be called out in a racial issue when it actually isn't occurring but will deny someone advancement with no good explanation on the other end.

-Don't let the success of the company be a blinder to the many problems/opportunities for improvement
    - Keep updating technology to ensure efficiency and customer service.
    -Take more time hiring to ensure you have a strong, intelligent, capable corporate and management base. Take better care hiring associates, especially for store openings and train them. Managing a giant group is not efficient, and the necessary mass firings that over hiring leads to gives a terrible feeling.
    - Create better structure and consistency with policies so employees can know what to expect and be held accountable
    - Document everything and dont trust what someone said was ok today wont cause a problem for you tomorrow.
    - if incompetence is the cause, get more competent people. if communication is the cause, plan for better communication. If deliberate shadiness is the cause, know its noticeable... stop it if you have any values or continue if you don't care.
    - Do whatever it takes to get on the same page at corporate before you can expect consistency in stores. There has been some recent effort to do this... it needs to get better still.
    - Be thankful there haven't been more lawsuits.
    -Improve quality or back down from the rigid return policy.
    - Communicate with and trust your good people and reward them. True motivation to work hard for a company doesn't come from fear, it comes from respect. There is a way to inspire with high standards without being abusive and power hungry.
    -Pick your battles better. Support employees when they need help before nit picking.
    -Stop with the snob appeal and gossip... it hinders any trust and teamwork and is very noticeable to customers.

Retail Dictatorship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at Zara part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love the Zara aesthetic, but that's where it stops. Happy to shop there, not to work.
    Decent pay

Cons

-Poorly organised management

-Most managers are passive aggressive or just damn right rude - they treat employees with little respect, you are treated more as a commodity than a person. Little appreciation from managers. They seem to care more about sale targets and the latest clothing items of the week.

-Rotas are chopped and changed even the day before - without anyone giving you notice. You are expected just to be aware of your change in shifts

-Extremely inflexible and draining. Often you will get given shifts that don't match with your availability. I wouldn't recommend this job for a full-time student. Before you know it, it will take over your life and you WILL feel unhappy. i.e. your contract will be minimum 16 hours a week, but you will be given 20+ hours a week. Don't even think about booking time off/Christmas off without a resistance from managers

-Don't expect to finish on time. You will be expected to finished 1-3 hours over your shift. No negotiation. No prior notification. Due to working extra hours on a shift you will not have the appropriate breaks due to you = slave labour

-At least 3-4 people quit every week since store opening. Self explanatory. The store will continue to have a high-turnover because working conditions are terrible. Most people carry on at the store for the money besides that, staff clearly don't enjoy being there.

Look after your employees. If not you will continue to have a high turnover of staff.

Sales associate

I worked at Zara

Pros

Store based commission for all employees

Cons

Working in retail is a Con

N/a

Thanks, but no thanks

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Zara full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Travel allowance
    Nice colleagues

Cons

No possibility of growing in the company
    No balance between social life and work
    Shifts changed from a day to another
    Low payment
    Staff discount of only 15%
    Lack of hygiene in the toilets and kitchen
    During summer season until now the problem of the air con was never solved so the team had to work in a sauna, no water provided for a long time until we left the shop refusing to work in those conditions

Appreciate the hard working persons, not the ones you're sharing your coffee with

Just started and it's already tension between employees. Shocked and disappointed...

Current Employee - Stock Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Stock Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Zara part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job comes with a decent pay for part-time workers that will have to pay their medical benefits out of their own pockets $11 an hour. The job is challenging and there will always be work to do. I've only been working for Zara for 3days and the ENTIRE team is moving fast-paced and seem to be very motivated and ready for success! It is ALOT of work.

Cons

Trying feels like a gang initiation! In my particular department my superior's attitude is very condescending, not nice or approachable. She is very different from the happy, approachable corporate employees that hired me on the spot. It's day #3 and she is already finding faults in the new team members, and giving pass or fail test. I think it's discouraging to the brand overall. I'm taken back, that we getting off on the wrong foot. The holidays will be here soon...

I think management should be more compassionate. When u see new recruits showing up to work 10-15mins earlier and taking the effort Dnt be in such a rush to crack the whip, provoking and being a bully. Every employee is not the same, some move fast some move slow in the beginning. Give PPL a fair chance to show their interest and skills. Be approachable. Encourage others. Stop starting employee confrontations. Some employees come to do their jobs and only say hi and bye, managers shld not take that as aggressiveness but as a person being focused on the workload and new job opportunity.

sales associate

I have been working at Zara

Pros

Only good if you are a student. Salary is okay, but will never go up unless you get promoted to another position.

Cons

Horrible management who have to experience, they expect you to do the work of 3 people at the same time, always short staff, clients complain all the time but the head office never do anything, somewhat horrible schedules, the training of new employees is not even done or supervised by the managers, the older staff is supposed to take care of it. There's always a lot of problems in communication. Very low discount. You will never get a raise unless you take a higher position, everything is disorganized, and the stock is always a mess, and often hazardous for your safety.

Zara Photos