Zara

Zara Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Zara First Deputy Chairman and CEO Inditex Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera

Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera

Pros
  • good pay and bonus every month dependent on how the company does(in 18 reviews)

• Employees dynamic was very positive to the work environment(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Necessity to wait three months until you can get your employee discount and uniform(in 23 reviews)

• Rude customers, high turn over rate, 15% discount(in 23 reviews)

Good way to get some experience, but then ... is better to look for something else.

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFlessible timetable: possibility to work just in specific days of the week, perfect for students and people who have more than one job.
    Sometimes you are lucky enought to work with a good team.
    Possibility to grow really fast inside the company.
    Good starting point for people without a working experience.
    Good commissions.

ConsDo not expect to receive any appreciation for the job done: even if you do your best, will always be some criticism from the management staff.
    The employ discount is ridiculous, 15% off.
    Most of the management is arrogant and unable to manage and motivate the team. The reason why is linked to the possibility to grow really fast inside the company (in less than two years you can go from basic sales assistant to department manager): the trainings are not long enought to get a proper knowledge/experience about managing people.
    Unable to motivate and retain people.
    The figure of the employ is seen as a sort of machine: there is no possibility to express personal opinions, you have just to get your job done how and when they "order" you.
    The power is too much centralised: avery single indication comes from Spain. They pretend to apply the same marketing mix, health & safety rules, ... in the same way everywhere without keeping into account that every single store has specific features and needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to involve people a bit more inside the system.
    Create some strategies to retain people.

Just to sume up: pay attention a bit more to the umanistic side of the company and less at the economic part (you're already earning a lot of money!).

Bad store management

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros• Uniform provided
    • Okay Salary of $10 per hour.
    • Commission per department
    • Employee discount of 15%
    • Direct deposit

Cons• Although I worked as a Sales Associate for 9+ months, I never received a discount card & parts of the men's uniform.
    • Unprofessional and immature managers.
    • Uncomfortable and unfriendly working environment.
    • Performing responsibilities outside job position and without promotion.
    • Very unorganized management.
    • Schedule changes without being notified and confirmed.
    • Witnessed managers giving employees disciplinary actions to intimidate and not as a consequence action.
    • Witnessed managers wrongfully accuse employees and consumers of theft very unprofessionally.
    • Scheduling outside of availability

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove working environment.

WAY TOO HARD

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros-great learning expirience if youre starting on the retail merchandising road
    - great benefits if full-time
    -fashion trends affordable
    -paid holidays if full time

Cons- work - life balance impossibility
    -after a year, no discussion of a raise sometimes years passed and theres still none
    -no hours for part time, making full time work on extreme situations and impossible to get things done due to high volume of customers
    -family and personal emergencies are not considered as one so you will be fingered at
    -schedules

Advice to Senior Managementthere's a lot of people unhappy at that location due to the cut of shifts and schedule changes, two class pets that get the best hours and lately being asked by the company to work harder is bogus when the store is packed every single day. The managers are very rude to the employees in front of customers and they are always stressed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was every day an adventure.

Head Cashier (Current Employee) Viernheim (Germany)

ProsIt was like a famaly. I loved it to go to work

Consalways something new to learn

Advice to Senior Managementone was trained daily

Great start- but typical "corporate America" mindset

Department Manager (Current Employee)

ProsOne weekend off a month
    2 weeks vacation 2x a year
    decent pay for retail role
    some people in corporate are hard working, and helpful

Consconstant changes in corporate leads to miscommunication
    don't expect positive feedback or recognition- theres always constructive criticism though.
    expectations for management are high
    a lot of clique with managers and the corporate team, so if you are not good with someone from corporate, you have to work much harder even if you perform better
    they know how to push people out if needed (I have seen it done)
    Human resources is not "open door/confidential" like it should be
    discount for managers is a sad 15%- and you are expected to wear one in-season piece as part of your outfit.

Advice to Senior ManagementHuman Resources needs to be open door with all employees and anything discussed with HR should be kept confidential. Corporate needs to be more upfront and appreciative of all employees at store level.

Sales associate

Prosgreat staff, great managers,

Conswork outfit is a little uncomfortable but customers treat you better due to your appearance in suit

Fast-paced, busy, and meh.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou can choose what you feel like you should be get paid, constant fashion turnover, high energy, uniform attire.

ConsTwo-faced and ruthless atmosphere, poor management, selling poorly made clothing for ridiculous prices, the horrible music, the even more horrible employee discount.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees about the moving up process. During my interview, I expressed my desire to work my way up to corporate, and management explained how easily I could work my way up the corporate "ladder". It wasn't until a month or so later that I found out how incredibly difficult that kind of opportunity is within Zara.

AWFUL place to work.

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay rate and commission

ConsShort staffed all the time.
    Managers threaten people with file notes, and these are the same people that spend their time with their mobile phones in the office all day.
    After a year working there and trying to progress, I have noticed that everyone in higher places are related in one way or another.
    Managers are really childish and don't know the meaning of being professional at all.
    If managers don't like you (or if you're not friends or not related to them) they will not allow you to have requested days or any life outside of work or weekends off.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional and remember that the company pays you to work.

Great for active, young people who are interested in fashion and who can deal well with customers

Key Holder (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat employees and management, easy to move up, decent hours, great clothes. I enjoyed being a key holder and buying for the women and trf lines. I didn't want to sit behind a desk all day, so I didn't mind being on my feet. Option to travel and help open new stores. One of the girls who used to work at H&M had mentioned they would be there til 1-2 am to finish closing sometimes, but we were never there more than 30 min to an hour after work (inventory aside). I didn't mind wearing uniforms, but it would be nice to have better options. My main store didn't have a high turnover rate. If you like fashion, they are obviously very on trend.

ConsTime- off policies aren't great, and they always give you a hard time (I had a few family emergencies that could have been better dealt with on their end). The discount (15%) is terrible; many places offer at least 20 and sometimes up to 40-50% and/or a seasonal stipend. The corporate staff seemed a little snobby to us retail employees. I worked at three locations, and two of them had tiny, uncomfortable stockrooms which often made dealing with shipments difficult. One of the stores is alarmingly busy and too small for its location. The break room was bleak and tiny.

great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proscustomers, sufficient work for the pay, ability to move up

ConsUniform and you only get a 15% discount

Worked for Zara? Contribute to the Community!