Zara

Updated January 22, 2015
2.8

Zara First Deputy Chairman and CEO Inditex Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera
Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera

Pros
  • Multitasking, fast paced enviroment, international experience (in 22 reviews)

• people are nice good pay and its good for students who just want spare pocket money and part time (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Necessity to wait three months until you can get your employee discount and uniform (in 31 reviews)

• 15% discount does not allow for an affordable way to consistently represent the brand (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Meh

Current Employee - Stock Associate in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Stock Associate in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at Zara part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great experience in the retail industry.

Cons

If fashion isn't your whole life, you will not enjoy or thrive in this company. Much like any other major fashion company.

Don't be so cliquish.

Working in Zara

I have been working at Zara part-time

Pros

Great staff. They train you in every department of the store

Cons

not enough hours for full time

Cashier

I worked at Zara part-time

Pros

The salary was decent even for my super part time schedule. Was paid store commission which helped a lot. They were willing to work with me when I wanted to change my position from cashier to sales.

Cons

The co-worker are extremely immature and rude…definitely a work environment for high schoolers or college students.

The training definitely needs some tightening up…as a newbie you should go over everything step by step job policies, benefits, requirements and job descriptions….not everyone is going to to know how to operate if they have never worked there.

Coroporate needs to appreciate their employees

Current Employee - Department Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Zara full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great salary and opportunity for growth.

Cons

Company is solely based on politics. HR managers do not really have HR experience. Favoritism is clearly evident in how corporate operates.

Awesome!

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zara full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I honestly enjoy working at Zara's, I think we have a great team! I love how the managers work together with the rest of the employees, it's hard to tell who's management or not because everyone just does an amazing job working together. It really does take a village to get things done! I also think it's pretty amazing how you have so many people who are willing to train you in any department. if you are someone who is looking for hours, this is for you!

Cons

Closing was a bit lengthy for me, perhaps a system that allows the employees distribute their time so that it doesn't take long to close. But that is also something that is complicated to do in retail, I think it kinda comes with the whole retail idea.

I think it would be great if your employees could get a higher percentage for their discount, it's a bit disappointing. Work shoes are not comfortable for the lengthy working hours.

Unorganized, No communication, Your Typical Heartless Mega Corporation

Former Employee - Department Manager - Mens
    Former Employee - Department Manager - Mens

I worked at Zara full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Experience
    -Fast Paced
    -Promotions (extremely high turnover rate, that's actually a con)
    -Met a few amazing co-workers

Cons

-Everything. NO Life/Work Balance
    -Discount is a joke. (15% off)
    -Extremely Negative
    -Worst communication with corporate. (Sometimes it would take over a WEEK until HR got back to me, including several time sensitive matters.)
    -Extremely Unorganized Senior Management(Regionals and HR)
    -To those who do not speak Spanish fluently: Forget it! You will never get further than store level.
    -Regionals try to start drama in stores because they don't want managers to get along. (It's so bizarre! They even
    make up lies!)

I have no advice. They are set in their ways.

Advice to those who love the Zara brand and think it would be great to work there: Avoid this place. As soon as it's decided that corporate no longer likes you/you're not the flavor of the month, they find ways to push you out the door. (I was promoted 4 times in 4 years)

no Teamwork

I worked at Zara full-time (less than an year)

Pros

compensation good. not too much work load. very friendly. updated computer system that makes it easier to get things done

Cons

no teamwork, no quality of life. specific restrictions on time off, district micromanages everything, everyone is definitely not on the same page

Interesting experience, some positives, but overall working there was skewed to the disadvantage of employees

Former Employee - Cashier in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Skokie, IL

I worked at Zara part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- 10% discount on clothing after working 3+ months
    - Busy and active environment
    - Get to interact with many different people from different parts of the world
    - Attractive customers

Cons

- Extremely monotonous and un-fulfilling work
    - No teamwork, employees are on their own
    - Crap wage pay
    - Ridiculous shift hours
    - You start to hate wearing a suit

Stop acting like assistant manager means anything outside of the store, stop exploiting employees (mainly hs students), cut down on the paperwork...seriously

Great!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Zara part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Always fast pace and upbeat environment.

Cons

No real room to move up.

Amazing place to "start"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Zara part-time

Pros

Compensation! The pay here is better here than most retail jobs. In addition, and depending on which store you work at, you also get a percentage of what the store makes, a nice perk called store commission. Trust me when I tell you this looks really nice on a paycheck, and more so when you think about the lack of pressure devoid and which usually come from its opposite, that being personal sales commission.
    It may vary from department, but from what I've experienced, there is a certain amount of freedom that is enjoyed here that is rarely found anywhere else. This is primarily because of the close relationship between the managers and the employees: no red tape/bureaucratic bs/ hr hoola hoop dance. In few words, the proximity of the relationship between managers and employees allows for occasionally leniency and understanding so few people in the retail industry are otherwise afforded, especially at a store like Zara.
    Zara looks great on a resume, whether you're experience there was good or otherwise. It's not Gucci or Barneys, but it's also not Walmart or HM. Zara is as high as you can go in the retail chain without the preoccupations that come with a high luxury brand, i.e. dictatorial management, surreal expectations to meet sales goals. Zara is the kind of place to start if you're looking to work at Jonh Varvatos, Burbbery, Neiman Marcus, or any of the two aforementioned brands.

Cons

Little to no room for growth
    A distinct lack of consideration for employees, whether it be to use the restroom or the way in which management frequently maligns its hard working employees.
    work-life balance, though this is applicable to almost any job in retail. Some more than others,....

It would be nice to see management spend less time chastising its employees and more time utilizing effective criticism to help its employees without breaking them down in the process. When applicable, it's also important to praise the employees, especially if they have taken initiative and/or endured demands that inevitably come with working in retail.

Zara Photos