Zara

www.zara.com
Profile Unclaimed

no Teamwork

I worked at Zara full-time (less than a year)

Pros

compensation good. not too much work load. very friendly. updated computer system that makes it easier to get things done

Cons

no teamwork, no quality of life. specific restrictions on time off, district micromanages everything, everyone is definitely not on the same page

Interesting experience, some positives, but overall working there was skewed to the disadvantage of employees

Former Employee - Cashier in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Skokie, IL

I worked at Zara part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- 10% discount on clothing after working 3+ months
    - Busy and active environment
    - Get to interact with many different people from different parts of the world
    - Attractive customers

Cons

- Extremely monotonous and un-fulfilling work
    - No teamwork, employees are on their own
    - Crap wage pay
    - Ridiculous shift hours
    - You start to hate wearing a suit

Stop acting like assistant manager means anything outside of the store, stop exploiting employees (mainly hs students), cut down on the paperwork...seriously

Great!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Zara part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Always fast pace and upbeat environment.

Cons

No real room to move up.

Awesome!

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zara full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I honestly enjoy working at Zara's, I think we have a great team! I love how the managers work together with the rest of the employees, it's hard to tell who's management or not because everyone just does an amazing job working together. It really does take a village to get things done! I also think it's pretty amazing how you have so many people who are willing to train you in any department. if you are someone who is looking for hours, this is for you!

Cons

Closing was a bit lengthy for me, perhaps a system that allows the employees distribute their time so that it doesn't take long to close. But that is also something that is complicated to do in retail, I think it kinda comes with the whole retail idea.

I think it would be great if your employees could get a higher percentage for their discount, it's a bit disappointing. Work shoes are not comfortable for the lengthy working hours.

Amazing place to "start"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Zara part-time

Pros

Compensation! The pay here is better here than most retail jobs. In addition, and depending on which store you work at, you also get a percentage of what the store makes, a nice perk called store commission. Trust me when I tell you this looks really nice on a paycheck, and more so when you think about the lack of pressure devoid and which usually come from its opposite, that being personal sales commission.
    It may vary from department, but from what I've experienced, there is a certain amount of freedom that is enjoyed here that is rarely found anywhere else. This is primarily because of the close relationship between the managers and the employees: no red tape/bureaucratic bs/ hr hoola hoop dance. In few words, the proximity of the relationship between managers and employees allows for occasionally leniency and understanding so few people in the retail industry are otherwise afforded, especially at a store like Zara.
    Zara looks great on a resume, whether you're experience there was good or otherwise. It's not Gucci or Barneys, but it's also not Walmart or HM. Zara is as high as you can go in the retail chain without the preoccupations that come with a high luxury brand, i.e. dictatorial management, surreal expectations to meet sales goals. Zara is the kind of place to start if you're looking to work at Jonh Varvatos, Burbbery, Neiman Marcus, or any of the two aforementioned brands.

Cons

Little to no room for growth
    A distinct lack of consideration for employees, whether it be to use the restroom or the way in which management frequently maligns its hard working employees.
    work-life balance, though this is applicable to almost any job in retail. Some more than others,....

It would be nice to see management spend less time chastising its employees and more time utilizing effective criticism to help its employees without breaking them down in the process. When applicable, it's also important to praise the employees, especially if they have taken initiative and/or endured demands that inevitably come with working in retail.

Unorganized, No communication, Your Typical Heartless Mega Corporation

Former Employee - Department Manager - Mens
    Former Employee - Department Manager - Mens

I worked at Zara full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Experience
    -Fast Paced
    -Promotions (extremely high turnover rate, that's actually a con)
    -Met a few amazing co-workers

Cons

-Everything. NO Life/Work Balance
    -Discount is a joke. (15% off)
    -Extremely Negative
    -Worst communication with corporate. (Sometimes it would take over a WEEK until HR got back to me, including several time sensitive matters.)
    -Extremely Unorganized Senior Management(Regionals and HR)
    -To those who do not speak Spanish fluently: Forget it! You will never get further than store level.
    -Regionals try to start drama in stores because they don't want managers to get along. (It's so bizarre! They even
    make up lies!)

I have no advice. They are set in their ways.

Advice to those who love the Zara brand and think it would be great to work there: Avoid this place. As soon as it's decided that corporate no longer likes you/you're not the flavor of the month, they find ways to push you out the door. (I was promoted 4 times in 4 years)

Sales associate/cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I have been working at Zara full-time (more than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, good for students who are looking to work part time

Cons

commitment, long hours if full time.

Horrible management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zara part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Honestly, I can't find one good reason to work for this company. Not even sure what the employee discount was, I left after 4 days.

Cons

Unprofessional-sent an email the night before telling me my orientation was at 7am the next morning. None of the managers at orientation knew what was supposed to be done. Threw me on the floor my first day and expected me to know the ropes and do everything correctly.
    Tons of miscommunication. Unprofessional demeanor. The store manager didn't like the way something was done and proceeded to talk down to me, asking if I knew how to count.

High turn over rate. This particular location just opened-the first in the state within the month I was hired. There were already multiple people who quit or were fired.

Was clearly not the job for me, as I have a degree in fashion & retail management and was only allowed to refold items, and remove them from fitting rooms. No customer, or employee interaction for that matter, at all.

Treat employees with respect

Good Pay, Bad Morals

Former Employee - Department Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Department Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Zara full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation is competitive for sales associates and managers
    4 Weeks paid vacation as well as sick/personal days
    Fashion forward with bi-weekly shipments of new merchandise
    Work/life balance no worse than other retail positions and companies

Cons

- 15% discount does not allow for an affordable way to consistently represent the brand
    - Snob appeal is questionable enough when it is expected but it is absolutely ridiculous when there is nothing to be snobby about. To be snobby, one would expect a high end brand, quality merchandise, intelligent corporate and none of these things are present at Zara. Treat your customers and employees better... your're not impressing anyone!
    -There is no genuine customer service culture... it seems to be something the company wants to avoid being known for being bad at but doesn't even understand the fundamental trickle down that is necessary to achieve. Ability to increase sales is the only honest factor in a company that does not have the tools necessary to really achieve customer service - proper technology, merchandise that wont fall apart, helpful policies, empowered associates and managers. Mariela is fantastic but shouldn't have to solve problems that should have been avoided.
    - Extreme shadiness and inconsistency with human resource policies. Over 6 years, this can be attributed to many factors. First of all, there have only been a few attempts at any written handbook, all of which contained many mistakes. You ask three different people at corporate a question and you will get three different answers.... but at the end be personally accountable for doing what is "right." Even specific people would give different answers for the same scenario. For someone wanting to do the right thing and lead a team with honesty and clear goals, it was impossible. If you are ethical and fair, not a puppet, you will not be happy. I have seen many good people get hurt and not get what they deserved while others got away with everything for years. While everyone ultimately is going to look out for themselves, the way other people are treated or allowed to behave is so ethically wrong, that many have been just as upset about what happened to others as themselves... that shows you something.
    -Don't expect corporate to understand how to read a report, write a sentence, or answer a question effectively even in their respective discipline. The incompetence is rampant, embarrassing, and frustrating. Being intelligent at this company is not an advantage... in fact it will work against you.
    - The company vibe is terrible. There is no trust
    - The ignorance present at all levels is despicable. From "mistakes" on merchandise that are very obviously inappropriate, offensive or just careless to comments from superiors, I have seen and heard too much.
    - Racism is more obvious than the company may want to think. Under the disguise of "image" people are treated differently. The company will walk on eggshells to not be called out in a racial issue when it actually isn't occurring but will deny someone advancement with no good explanation on the other end.

-Don't let the success of the company be a blinder to the many problems/opportunities for improvement
    - Keep updating technology to ensure efficiency and customer service.
    -Take more time hiring to ensure you have a strong, intelligent, capable corporate and management base. Take better care hiring associates, especially for store openings and train them. Managing a giant group is not efficient, and the necessary mass firings that over hiring leads to gives a terrible feeling.
    - Create better structure and consistency with policies so employees can know what to expect and be held accountable
    - Document everything and dont trust what someone said was ok today wont cause a problem for you tomorrow.
    - if incompetence is the cause, get more competent people. if communication is the cause, plan for better communication. If deliberate shadiness is the cause, know its noticeable... stop it if you have any values or continue if you don't care.
    - Do whatever it takes to get on the same page at corporate before you can expect consistency in stores. There has been some recent effort to do this... it needs to get better still.
    - Be thankful there haven't been more lawsuits.
    -Improve quality or back down from the rigid return policy.
    - Communicate with and trust your good people and reward them. True motivation to work hard for a company doesn't come from fear, it comes from respect. There is a way to inspire with high standards without being abusive and power hungry.
    -Pick your battles better. Support employees when they need help before nit picking.
    -Stop with the snob appeal and gossip... it hinders any trust and teamwork and is very noticeable to customers.

Interesting and forward thinking company, some negative experiences with management

Former Employee - Cashier in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Washington, DC

I worked at Zara part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Really solid work schedule if available, you will get hours. Not bad pay. Great fashion.

Cons

Some negative experiences with management. They demanded a lot without showing positive leadership. Disorganized and not optimal space for such a high volume store.

Zara Photos