Zayo

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015

Zayo President & CEO Dan Caruso
Dan Caruso

Pros
  • The final piece that I want to mention is the ability to work from home when it is necessary to do so (in 26 reviews)

• Zayo is packed with intelligent, hard-working individuals (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance more difficult for some than other (that needs to shift) (in 33 reviews)

• The long hours may be tough for some people as it makes it difficult to balance work/life (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

The best employer I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Circuit Designer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Circuit Designer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zayo

Pros

Working from home is life changing for a single mom. Management is focused on the quality of work I provide, not if I am out too much for children's appointments. What a concept! My manager and VP are great. They are appreciative, flexible as long as we are getting our job done and doing it well, and we all work together great as a team. 90% of field techs/managers I work with are amazing and do whatever it takes to get the job done and please the customer. I haven't really noticed the salespeople reaping all the rewards as in other companies I've worked for. I feel valued as a Zayo employee and feel like my contributions actually make a difference. I guess I never realized how important it is to feel that way until I actually experienced it.

Cons

Pay is not great, even with quarterly bonuses. I know I could make more doing the same work (maybe less work) at another company, but working from home balances it out. Metasolv is inaccurate and incomplete, so inventory is lacking in a big way. Also, I was hired at Zayo as a full-time at-home employee. Recently, upper management decided we should have to come in twice a week, which I feel is unfair and unnecessary.

I appreciate the stock option packages just rolled out. However, pay on scale with other local telecom companies is essential. Changing the work-from-home policy feels like a step backwards in regards to employee satisfaction. The reasoning behind it didn't make sense to me.

Working at a daycare center

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Zayo full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The work is challenging, interesting, and always changing. It's a great industry to be in and Zayo along with its employees are working hard to be successful.

Cons

Office management is turning into micromanagement. When I was hired as a full-time employee I was under the impression that Zayo encouraged personal management and position innovation. Currently, however, at the auxiliary office in Boulder the only option is to work within the parameters set by upper management. Last week employees were instructed they are required to be at their desks during set shifts, with 10 minute breaks every 2 hours, and 1 hour for lunch. We were told our badges would be used as an attendance/clock-in tracker, and our requests for alternate work locations (home, other Zayo offices) were being recorded to spot employees taking advantage of the situation.

This kind of babysitting is bad for morale and bad for the Zayo brand. My personal experience is that Zayo employees are hardworking, nose to the grindstone, stay until the work is done kind of people. This new kind of management style is baffling to a lot of us since we were under the impression we were hired because we are motivated self-starters. This circumstance is making people feel like their work isn't being valued, hurting morale. Further, no one in this office would be willing to recommend Zayo to job seekers knowing this is what's expected of the brand - work within these guidelines because you can't be trusted to do a good job without them.

The energy management is spending policing its employees would be better spent elsewhere. Boulder is creating a culture that could be found in an office on the corporate landscape full of unimaginative pencil pushers, not a culture of an entrepreneurial company that the CEO purports it to be. Employees should be free to make their own decisions regarding their positions and allow their work to show for itself. There's an obvious disconnect between direct managers, who are Work From Home employees (sometimes in another state), who report to Directors here in Colorado. Instead of being effective managers and giving direct and accurate feedback, they are putting in place these outdated schoolyard rules.

Trust your employees - You hired us for a reason, you saw from our experience that we work hard and produce results. Trust us to manage our own work schedule.

Stop with the office management - If an issue does exist, direct managers should be the ones dealing with the issue, not the Directors. This should be handled on an individual basis, and if there is an issue with an employee's output deal with it accordingly. We don't want low producers on our teams either!

Take a lesson from a Zayo value - Promote an environment where employees enjoy and respect one another, and collaborate to pursue our Mission and Vision. We help each other be successful and overcome challenges.

intern

Former Employee - Intern in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Intern in Boulder, CO

I worked at Zayo part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good internship experience. Relevant projects, mentor, seminars and offered social opportunities.

Cons

too short - would've preferred to work a few more weeks to make more money.

8 months of new pay plan = 8 months of declining sales

I have been working at Zayo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Potential is there- people, systems and capabilities are far ahead of most of the competition. Zayo could be great for customers AND employees.

Cons

The CEO should be ashamed of the sales comp plan. His defense of it is either adefense of incompetence or defense of a concerted effort to not pay for results.

It's his plan, so maybe he's just that arrogant.

Compensation has been the subject of a large number of glass door posts. Some are better written than others, but the consistent theme is that across market segments, a lot of us in sales are not getting paid, despite bringing in results. The other consistent theme is that the entire process is a "secret formula" too sophisticated for silly salespeople to understand.

The consistent response from our CEO has amounted to smoke and mirrors. His response to one of the better posts was dismissive- "your boss has not explained the plan". His response to another post was "even though you are not getting paid, others are". Ironically less than a week later, a former salesperson from the group that was supposedly getting paid posted that they were shocked by how bad the pay plan was and had left the company.

We've had 8 months of no transparency and huge cuts in commissions for most of us. As of our last analyst call, our sales are in a slump, since July. The pay plan we had before July seemed to work and resulted in positive growth.

Our CEO recently gave analysts every excuse in the world to explain our declining numbers. The sales force just laughed - he's so arrogant that he is incapable of acknowledging that his pay plan is the problem.

Fix the pay plan - return to transparency, pay on metrics that salespeople can control and the sales will come. Keep it as simple as possible and stop making excuses for being greedy by not paying us. News flash, we know you are not incompetent.

This technology does not sell itself- sorry to burst your bubble but tranzact is sales tool, not a replacement for salespeople. Zayo is not an easy place to work, it takes a lot of hard work by smart people to get customers from initial proposal to billing for service.

Stop treating us like we should all be ecstatic to work very hard for nothing.

Long days, longer nights

I worked at Zayo

Pros

Huge upside potential for company as a whole, intelligent and experienced leaders, a vast number of different positions within the company, co-workers interact together and feel like a family through lunch & learns, webinars, Bstrong, and other fun after work activities

Cons

Communication is lacking when supervisors are teaching their pupils, therefore many people end up doing their job the wrong way which leads to people such as myself and others spending multiple hours out of each day going back and fixing their mistakes in Salesforce. This could be due to having so much work that there isn't an adequate 'training' program. You must learn on the go. Also, entry level and recent college graduate employees are underpaid for working ridiculous hours. Would work a full day, go home, eat dinner, then get right back on the computer and work some more. Easily put in multiple 80 hours weeks not including 20+ on the weekends

Come up with a training program for specified job whether is 2 days, 5 days, etc
    Hire more people to keep up with intense workload
    Stay hungry.

Very supportive and exciting.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Zayo full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Gave me the opportunity to learn many new skills on the job while simultaneously making contributions.

Cons

Had a great experience overall.

Feb 1, 2015CEO

Software Development is dramatically increasing in importance and impact at Zayo. Thanks for the post, and thanks for being part of our progress on applications and big data

Disorganized Mess

I have been working at Zayo

Pros

Few if any pros. Some good people here and there who sacrifice their personal lives for ambition and good of the company. Hopefully it works out for them. Lack of direct supervision is a plus I suppose.

Cons

Super disorganized. Broken face book like sales force system required for all "paper work" side of the business. Non competitive salaries with high stress levels and hoop jumping around every corner. Quarterly based goals based on guesstimates by "who knows" tied to "great incentive package" of rsu and bonus "supplementing" lack of pay and raises.

Come back to the real world. Stop micromanaging at the VP level and above. Stop thinking Zayo is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Worst year ever but learned more than I have anywhere else

Former Employee - Sales Operations in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Operations in Boulder, CO

I worked at Zayo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart people who are happy to get their hands dirty to get the job done.

A comical cultural experience, once you learn to roll with the punches, centered on the CEO's whims and whimsy.

Salesforce.com based processes in all areas of the business, hello more simplicity than your average telco.

The investment and network development thesis the CEO has is spot on!

The financial mindset and management of the company are in a word, bonkers! No else does it like Zayo does and it's beautiful.

I say this all as an employee who was treated poorly even for Zayo, but with that said, I would recommend it if you have a thick skin and want to know how a telco should work; not from a culture perspective but from an investment perspective.

Cons

No reward for the insane amount of talent they have. Rewards are based on who manages up, who socializes with the CEO and who can talk to best game. Sometimes these are the talented people, most often they are not.

Backstabbing executive culture where everyone is trying to cover their butts from one another and the CEO leading to poor management, leadership, communication and vision.

Irrational amount of power granted to MBAs who are poor performers, not because they are bad but because they have not matured and had the experience of getting ahead through merit. Trial by fire does not always lead to a good outcome, very few people actually learn that way.

Everyone has their own set of rules, what's fine in one team, or one person, is not fine for others breeding a deep cynicism among the employee base.

The untapped momentum that Zayo COULD have if it's employees felt like the management team cared and would reward them appropriately. Zayo could be the best telco in the industry in terms of performance and employee engagement and I tend to believe the two are related.

Put a layer in between the CEO and the company, someone who is employee minded. Not because the CEO is not but because he has placed so much emphasis on the financial success of Zayo, and himself, that he has lost touch with the Zayo reality. It doesn't help that no one wants to tell the emperor he has no clothes on, so it's everyone's failing. I think the CEO is vital but not to the day to day operation of the company. Go be Buddha on the mountaintop and leave someone with more emotional intelligence in charge.

Leverage the amazing people you have more effectively and they will take you really far. It's not the MBA sycophants, or the bevy of hangers on, it's the folks with real telco experience who are deeply committed to the success of the company and are routinely shoved in a corner.

Feb 1, 2015CEO

Thanks for the post. I don't know exactly what whims and whimseys you have in mind, but I do push Zayo hard to exploit the opportunity in front of us. Focus on Infrastructure, commitment to ... More

Not for everyone, but GREAT for the right people

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Zayo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm an "old timer" at Zayo (which is pretty much anyone that's been here over 3 years). I've seen it grow quite a bit. It's very entrepreneurial. Pay grade is very competitive. They just introduced a new pay structure which gives not only salary and quarterly bonuses, but stock grants as well. It's very generous when taken as a whole. I know some people would rather have all the "bells and whistles" benefits, but I prefer Zayo's method of giving us cash every quarter.

Zayo has a 'get it done' mentality that focuses on results rather than company in-fighting. If you recognize that something needs to be done for the betterment of the company, there's not a lot of 'red tape' keeping you from doing it. A co-worker used the analogy of 'building your own tree house' when he came to work here. Zayo is not the kind of company to have lumber and nails on-hand waiting for you, or to even have the tree picked out. If you were hired to build a treehouse, it's your job from the ground up. I hope that Zayo continues to maintain that autonomy as it grows.

So, if you want a job where you clock in 8-5 Monday-Friday to do 'safe' work at a company that may grow by 1% a year and holds your hand as you do your job, Zayo is not for you. But, if you want a fast-paced job with potential to earn above and beyond your paycheck in a company that is growing by leaps and bounds, and you're confident enough to build your own treehouse, maybe you fit.

Cons

There could be more of a career path for technical people. It seems that they have concentrated on career paths for sales and operations, but not for shared services between the product groups. The new product group structure also make life more difficult for the shared services. Communication and employee reviews have been an issue in the past, but are improving. As we move into the 'Product Group' structure, data integrity is a huge issue that I'm not sure is taken as seriously at all levels as it should be.

Continue to grow; enforce data integrity; implement standards where it upholds data integrity or streamlines work, but continue to ignore busywork otherwise.

Sales pay plan needs serious re-evaluation.

I have been working at Zayo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stock price went up after the IPO, so if you are an investor, or a current employee with options, congratulations!

Cons

Compensation for salespeople is not tied to clearly measurable, realistic, attainable objectives.

Measurement and reporting of results is shrouded in secrecy.

Executive leadership not in touch with the rank and file sales force who grew the company to $1 Billion in revenue.

Work life balance issues are compounded by lack of sales compensation-the job is no longer worth the time and frustration.

Many competent, high-achieving salespeople have left or are currently looking for an exit.

Successful sales compensation plans share the same attributes:

First, the plan needs to tie clearly defined, objective compensation payouts to attainable, measurable goals. If I sell X I get Y. Y does not change due to the subjective opinion of my manager or their manager.

Second, those goals need to tie to factors within the control of a talented, driven sales force. I sell X, I get Y and it is not adjusted by Z, some variable out of my control, like disconnects.

Third, measurement, attainment of goals and reporting of performance must be 100% transparent. Show me monthly how much of X I sold and how much of Y I will be paid for under or over performance.

It is the job of Sales to find and grow new business. It is the job of Operations to keep service quality high so that customers do not leave due to service issues. It is the job of Product Marketing to set pricing so that customers do not leave for better pricing.

A certain percentage of customers are always on their way out the door due to service issues, price competition, the overall economy and business changes. Customer churn is a fact of like in the competitive landscape- salespeople can help mitigate churn, but it is primarily not in their control. No amount of sales proficiency can overcome pricing that is too high for undifferentiated services or for service plagued with consistent issues.

The current pay plan in place since July is a failure and has resulted in the following:

First, the subjective nature of the pay plan has caused alienation of salespeople and a drop in morale. Salespeople spend a lot of time complaining and wondering about compensation instead of selling. Uncertainty is like a virus.

Second, penalizing salespeople who helped grow the company to $1 Billion in revenue for customer churn has resulted in churn of salespeople. Many of those who have left were top performers. Zayo lacks formal sales training, so it takes 4-6 months to get new people up to speed, so losing good people just as we IPO is a serious problem. We will not easily replace the institutional knowledge that has already gone.

Third, the lack of transparency in commission reporting (no commission statements, nothing in writing to demonstrate how commissions are paid) has resulted in a lack of trust in the sales organization. We do not trust that we are going to be paid for our efforts, so we really have no motivation to give 110%.

The irony is that our leadership constantly talks to Wall Street about how transparent we are, but our entire sales compensation plan is now shrouded in secrecy. Since our managers have 100% subjective control over our pay, we are no longer paid for performance, but for how we are perceived and we dare not challenge or question the payouts for fear of retribution.

So far, this “Marxist Voodoo” pay plan has destroyed confidence of anyone in sales at Zayo capable of basic math, or any experience with a fair and reasonable compensation plan, (like the one at Zayo before July).

Our CEO, Dan Caruso may not have known it, but most of us were true believers in what Zayo was and what it could become, we believed because we produced results and Zayo paid us fairly for the results.

The company should look at the number of salespeople with substantial option holdings, because those will be the only experienced salespeople left at this rate.

Dan Caruso, our CEO wanted to change company culture, congratulations Dan, have achieved change, but it is probably not what you envisioned.

Nov 17, 2014CEO

Sales executives…this post tells me that the need for communications regarding the comp plan needs to be intensified. Discussion needs to include our Mission, Vision, and Values, as well as our ... More