Zayo

Zayo Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Zayo President & CEO Dan Caruso

Dan Caruso

Pros:
  • "Flexibility to work from home and make up time at night and on weekends"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Zayo is packed with intelligent, hard-working individuals"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance more difficult for some than other (that needs to shift)"
    in 26 reviews
  • "As mentioned in previous reviews, there is no 401k match and few holidays"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Potential for continued success

I have been working at Zayo for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits, interesting challenges, team is cohesive, really good people.

ConsPromos and raises hard to get. Not as agile as it used to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent. Lack of upward feedback troubling.

Apr 7, 2014

I am surprised you believe promos are hard to get. We are growing more quickly than most companies, which creates lots of promo opportunities. We mostly promo from within. I'm unsure what your ... More

You will learn a lot here

I have been working at Zayo

ProsA lot to list but important are good peers, exciting work, casual work environment and modern office with conveniences everywhere on your way in or out. Medical benefits are good. Biggest pro is the people. Dedicated and smart.

ConsThe biggest con is lack of raises. Cost of living wages no where to be found. Working people this hard towards significant wealth for a select few with no raises (or only for a select few) is greedy. Reorganizing constantly impedes the process of moving forward on many levels. Prove yourself to one boss as you work towards trying to elevate your career only to reorganize and need to do it all over again. You can't get anywhere. This is when management forgets what it's like to try and earn a living. The cycle doesn't benefit the employee and in the long term the business. Be patient if you must make changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture seems to be more a monologue than a dialogue so I have no advice.

Roller coaster (currently on the up and up)

Boulder, CO

I have been working at Zayo full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat office environment. Great people. Transparent executive leadership. No wasteful policies or practices. High perception of job security, and a feeling of adding value to the world. Benefits are improving.

ConsSalary (and benefits are quite lacking, too). I used to have a ton of other complaints after the AboveNet acquisition. We were being worked so much to the bone that even 200% bonus payouts felt like a small token of gratitude. Cynicism was very high. It's interesting how much that correlates to the number of hours being worked. Life at Zayo is a far cry from those days. It would appear that management made the correct leap of logic: high returns mean value created and potential for even higher returns through investor confidence, high returns come from customer satisfaction, customer satisfaction comes from happy employees, happy employees come from...Well that's a long list of things that Management academics have been studying for a long time. The point is that it finally feels as though management is pushing to make employees as happy as it can (no one expects Zayo to be solving anyone's personal problems). Work/life balance used to be a massive issue. Mr. Caruso tasked company leaders to study the problem and make corrections. People complained about lack of a 401k match. Now we're about to get a modest one. The trend is moving in a very positive direction, and it makes me happy to see; whereas previously it appeared they could truly care less if you stayed or left. But that brings us back to compensation. It's humiliating to be making less than what I once was in 2008. It's even more humiliating to be making not much more than people fresh out of college. I'm no longer a telecom newbie, yet raises are exceptionally difficult to come by. If you want to work for Zayo, make sure to negotiate as high a salary as possible if you have any bargaining power at all, because after that you're pretty much stuck.

Advice to Senior ManagementHere's an anecdote I hope you find useful:

1. Boss comes to me and says "X person is leaving, do you want their job?" "Maybe, what are the details?" "Well, it could make you look really good, but it will entail a lot more work." I take this job because it would've been stupid to say no, right? I received zero raise whatsoever, a huge increase in workload and responsibility, and I ended up looking "bad" because I was expected to do the job of 3 people (and couldn't). I was told it was my fault for not managing expectations. Fast forward some time later, and a person with a lot more responsibility and workload than I is leaving and asks me if I want his job. This job isn't too far from the previous one I took, and I knew I could execute at a high level. What's my response? Absolutely not. I learned that lesson. No thank you. Imagine how different this scenario could've played? I know a number of folks who have had this happen to them, and it's unfortunate. If you ask someone to take on more responsibility, they should be compensated appropriately. Anything different is unfair.

Zayo is so awful with compensation, despite your belief to the contrary. Even worse, I'm not alone in thinking this. We have friends in the surrounding area getting paid a lot more than we for very similar roles and way less work (with far better benefits). And although these shares many of us have are incredible, they're only going to entice people to stay for so long. What happens when we're public, and all of these shares are vested, and people have options? What happens if Zayo wants to make another huge acquisition and everyone who was here post-AboveNet bails because they know what's coming? Even if Zayo stays "even" at that time with the competition, why would anyone want to stay with a company that didn't give them fair compensation until it absolutely had to? There are quite a few folks not making over $90K at Zayo (all-in). It would be in Zayo's greater interest if you heeded their concerns. And as much as I'd love to air all this out on Chatter or to my leadership: given that I've asked for a raise quite a few times and been denied (as well as many of my colleagues), and given that you seem to believe compensation is "adequate," I'd consider that effort only fruitless and with zero positive outcome for myself.

I'd like to end on a positive note, since compensation really is my only complaint against Zayo. I want to thank you, Dan, and the other executives for taking all the risks and making all the sacrifices you have to make this company what it is. It's truly incredible what you've accomplished over the last 6 years. I'm grateful for the job and the opportunities I've had here. Thank you.

Apr 6, 2014

You are correct. Our mission is to be the leading provider of bandwidth infrastructure for years and decades to come. To do so requires talented, resourceful, and motivated team -- who collaborate ... More

Like the job

I have been working at Zayo

ProsTranzact is a time saver. Good support team.

ConsWe are in an extremely technical field and it takes a very intelligent person to sell these complex solutions. Senior management doesn't appreciate how difficult a sales job is.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop changing the commission plan. I beg you, please stop.

Apr 16, 2014

I am incredibly proud of the progress we are making with Tranzact. It is a time saver, and its impact is only in its infancy. Tranzact is helping the SPGs get better command of their data and ... More

Zayo is a great place to work

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zayo for more than a year

ProsMy team works really well together. Benefits are great. We finally are getting a 4th match.

ConsZayo reorganizes all the time. It's hard to work with and train new people every other month. Marty Snella was a genius and will be impossible to replace.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly reorganize when necessary. Remember that diversity includes having older employees. Don't exclude us from development opportunities, just because we have a few gray hairs.

Apr 16, 2014

Thanks for your post. Marty Snella is top shelf. He has been with us since the beginning, and has been a big part of our success. He will be impossible to replace, though he has left us in great ... More

Great place to work

I have been working at Zayo full-time

ProsZayo is a very fast-paced work environment. Knowledgable senior management team and great co-workers. Work-life balance
401K match
Advancement in career opportunities
Compensation

ConsCompany's culture need some work

Great place to get experience and start a career

Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Zayo full-time

ProsUpper management seems to be soliciting input from the ground level recently, so I'll add my two cents.

Good people for the most part. Everyone works hard to get the job done.
Lots of opportunity to gain experience and move up as the company grows.
Decent pay for newcomers. The job is what you make of it - contribution to the success of the company is generally rewarded vs. an entitlement mentality.
Strong financial position = lots of investors and customers.

ConsWork-life balance has been tough but is improving now.
With the addition of people from other companies and the need to implement standard processes, Zayo has lost some of the original innovative culture. Originally the mentality was "we need you to pitch in whatever you can and you'll be rewarded for it" (or "move fast and break things") and now it's trending towards "don't make the people above you look bad and don't screw anything up".
Data integrity is lacking in non legacy AboveNet networks. This results in difficulty in isolating and repairing network issues and hence unhappy customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more capacity to keep up with sales and customer needs. Fix the data integrity issues; this will result in 2x the productivity. Work on truly consolidating the networks gained from acquisitions. It may all look like Zayo from an outward point of view but internally it's still a hodgepodge of disparate networks. Provide the modest raises and compensation increases needed to keep up with the rest of the industry and not lose good talent. Try not to lose the open, collective, collaborative culture that made Zayo such a fun place to work in the early days, even as hierarchy must be added to manage complexity. Employees need to feel that they are sharing in the success of the company in order to keep morale up. Things change quickly and people move around, but some team building activities might be helpful. Continue to solicit feedback from lower level "on the ground" employees. Dan sets a good example and I appreciate that he takes the time to respond to every glassdoor review whether good, bad, or laughably insane.

Apr 2, 2014

Thanks for the post. I pretty much agree with you Pros, Cons and Advice. We are working hard on Work/Life -- in many parts of the company, I believe this is no longer an issue. However, in certain ... More

Great Place to Work

Louisville, CO

I have been working at Zayo full-time for more than a year

ProsOne of the many qualities that make Zayo a great place to work is the ability to grow. They are a company where they value the quality of the person they are hiring not just their experience. If they see that you would be a good fit, willing to work hard, willing to learn, willing to listen they give you the opportunity to do that. When I started I had little to no experience in my field and have quickly advanced, due to hard work, long hours, and dedication to doing the job well.

Another great quality of Zayo is the open communication from the CEO, he is willing to listen and willing to hear the good and the bad. He is about taking this company to new heights and if you are willing to work hard he wants to have you on board. If you are not willing to put in the effort he says this may not be the right company for you, so take this as the wrong approach. I take this as an honest CEO, if you want to enjoy the rewards to need to be willing to put in the effort!

ConsThere are managers who do not have the same desire to train their employees or to allow them to advance. I understand that there are many different styles of management but some people are thrown into that role with no training or ability to train, this hurts the company in so many ways. With poor managers you loose valuable employees who could have been easily retained.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold your managers responsible for working with their employees, they are the core to a great company! Senior Management is spot on, this just needs to have a waterfall effect where it trickles down through all levels of management.

This is the best telecom I have ever worked for by far. Big enough to feel safe and small enough to be exciting.

Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Zayo full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis is a good environment for self-starters or anyone who has issues doing the same boring job everyday. There is always something to do and high achievers are rewarded. The quarterly bonus is nice too.

ConsIf you want to be told what to do and "managed" then this is not for you. Also the pay-scales seem stagnant.

Advice to Senior ManagementA cost-of-living adjustment would be nice. Other benefits are great, but would like to see something in place for normal inflation.

Challenging and rewarding environment that is fun to work for.

Intern (Current Employee)
Louisville, CO

I have been working at Zayo part-time for more than a year

ProsThere is a great team work atmosphere where every one is willing to help to get the overall goal of their team done. Challenging where my tasks are almost never the same, which help keep things feeling new. The mentality that the company is results driven and doesn't worry how, when, and where the work gets done just that it gets done.

ConsSome Teams fail to work outside their team goals when other areas of the business need help.Some times I'm not sure if my work is meaningful to the company. The Company moves so fast that it creates a lot of pressure to keep up and not fall behind. Getting new Equipment is very challenging process and have a hard time getting any faster equipment.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts should be more like a leadership than having a manager, this should be our concept instead of telling people to complete things by this date work with them.

Worked for Zayo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zayo reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Zayo CEO Dan Caruso. All 157 reviews posted anonymously by Zayo employees.