Zayo Reviews

Reset
3.4
Zayo President & CEO Dan Caruso
Dan Caruso

Pros
  • Work from home with no supervision (in 26 reviews)

• certain peers are fun and hard-working (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • They say they care about work life balance then move everyone around (in 33 reviews)

• Yes, there can be some long hours on occasion but in my experience it has never been anything that I could not handle (in 10 reviews)

1. Zayo Review

Former Employee - Denver, Co in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Denver, Co in Denver, CO

I worked at Zayo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zayo has a great culture and intelligent employees that are willing to work hard to take Zayo to great heights.

Cons

At this moment, I genuinely can not think of a con. My experience with Zayo was wonderful. But naturally every experience will not be alike.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the coffee! You'll never hear me say no to free Voodoo donuts with that coffee. 😊

2. Great Place to be

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zayo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexibility in work schedule. WFH office with ability to travel to a nearby Zayo regional office - Great Sales Leadership who are actively involved in securing new logos and business - Ability to see across verticals - Healthcare, Municipalities, SaaS, Content, Fortune 50, Unicorns, high potential startups - Great equity program that gives RSUs not stock options - Vibrant & growing company - Our CEO is active in all aspects of the business. I've had many CEOs that I've never met nor had the opportunity to share ideas, We are extremely fortunate to have a CEO who is 100% invested in our success - Opportunity to coach and mentor our future leaders. - I am extremely fortunate to work in such a thriving market and have an phenomenal Sales Director. My measure of good boss is one that is effective in helping me reach my goals and is additive at our sales meetings. I'm not here to teach my manager, I'm here to be successful and for the most part, Zayo Sales Directors are exceptional. - Last but not least, I've very fortunate to have the opportunity to work with some of the best, brightest and successful people in the industry. Zayo's most important asset is their employees and with this we are able to hire and retain the best. I learn everyday from my peers and this is very important to me.

Cons

- Compensation plan needs improvement. Sales Leadership seems to listen to concerns and adjust as necessary - As we are still a young post-IPO we need to run a tight ship which means scarce resources. I have faith as we become profitable and mature this will resolve itself. - Culture is still needs work but Zayo leadership is actively trying to change this with diversity, transparency and inclusion. - Saddens me to see some of the negative reviews as I've been in this business for many years and have never had the opportunity for growth like i have a Zayo. The possibilities are limitless and it is within my own control to achieve my goals. I suspect that many either do not fit in a culture where you own your destiny or are not willing to embrace change. Nobody is going to hold your hand or even tell what to do or how to do it. However, I've learned at Zayo, failure is not necessarily a bad thing. I've fallen on my face a few times thinking I'd never get back up, but i did and I grew because of it. - For reasons i don't understand there is a small set of Zayo employees who are constantly complaining, moaning or in some cases are embarrassingly belligerent. No matter what an employees feelings might be towards Zayo leadership, it is unacceptable to openly complain. I would like to see our leadership address this and not lit in linger and infect the culture.

Advice to Management

- I would personally like to see more embracement of issues internal and customer affecting. I am not completely comfortable using our internal SFDC chatter groups to discuss these issues. I would encourage Zayo management to allow the direct sales force to articulate issues that keep them from selling and enamoring our customers and have an on-going dialouge/brainstorm on ideas. - in speaking with a high level fortune 50 Talent Acquisition/Retention executive she believes one of the most valuable benefits a company can provide is the opportunity for the employees to participate in volunteer opportunities that give back to the local community. It was suggested on one blog that if we have benefit ideas we should build a business case to support this and the adoption by Zayo. I personally don't have the time but would expect that our PCB group take charge. - Mr. Caruso is an exceptional leader who has an undying passion (and seems to have unlimited energy) for visiting all spectrums of our customer base. I truly appreciate the opportunity to have a CEO who takes the time to visit the customers assigned to me.

Zayo Response

Sep 1, 2015 – VP, People.Culture.Brand.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments and recommendations. We are taking steps to improve internal communications--Chatter is a key component to that. We're embracing both our achievements and our ... More

3. Fast past, and being a self starter is a must.

Current Employee - Product Analyst in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in Boulder, CO

Pros

People, culture, environment. Zayo definitely does a great job at hiring smart people who are great to work with. There's not many coworkers who I don't like being around and working with. Not every company has that. Because of these great coworkers, it fosters a fun culture and environment, especially since there are many company activities to take part in.

Cons

Pay, advancement. The pay isn't bad, but it's not extremely competitive. Also, it's proven very difficult to find out what the steps I need to take to get to the next position I want to be in. I think Zayo loses out on and doesn't retain a lot of of talent due to these factors.

Advice to Management

It would be great if employees were given loose guidelines on how to achieve the career advances we are shooting for. I'm not sure what it's going to take to get me to my next position and finding the resources to gather this knowledge is proving difficult.

Great place to work and grow in the Tech industry.

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Boulder, CO

Pros

Zayo has the best culture of any company I have worked for. My coworkers are brilliant, energetic, and helpful. Every day I need to be ready / able to wear a different hat to satisfy the needs of my team. Not a day goes by that I don't learn something new. Their startup approach to business will force you to put in many many hours of work. However, throwing yourself head first into your projects will help you grow substantially. If you can put in the effort that is required to get the job done.

Cons

Raises are few and far between from what I have seen. Cost of living goes up every year and child care is very expensive (increasing annually as well). Boulder is absolutely stunning but, very expensive. Making it hard to live on a salary that is less than average (in my opinion) for a SFDC developer role.

Advice to Management

Great managers across the board and I have great confidence in the Company. I appreciate everything that Dan and the management team does to keep this ship sailing strong.

Aug 28, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for the post. The Tranzact team, and our SFDC developers in general, are doing amazing things. We have a lot of talent doing coding for us -- and it is showing up in the innovative approach ... More

Product Manager/Business Analyst

Current Employee - Product Manager in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Zayo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zayo Group is a young Company that is growing at a fast pace

Cons

Zayo Group does not compensate or allow individuals to move forward in their careers

Advice to Management

Follow through on commitments

Anonymous

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, CA

I have been working at Zayo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The working level people are friendly and try to be helpful for the most part. The headquarters in Boulder is a beautiful setting.

Cons

Compensation is not up to industry average. When executives are approached with this complaint they try to throw more RSUs (stock yearly bonus) at the employees instead of adjusting base salaries.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to would other companies are paying their employees or you will loose all the good ones that can get another job.

8. so far so good

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

Pros

company growth looks strong leader in the industry

Cons

only thing I can think of is that you have to actually pay for your own business cards . never really heard of that before.

Advice to Management

keep on keepin on

Aug 28, 2015 – Director of PR and External Communications

Thanks for the post. Yes, we do ask that employees purchase their business cards and then expense them. Please follow up with PCB with any questions or concerns!

Zayo Review

I have been working at Zayo full-time

Pros

Ability to work from home is a plus

Cons

The organizational structure is like playing musical chairs.

Great company with some downsides

I have been working at Zayo full-time

Pros

*Interesting daily work that is challenging *Lots of room for personal growth *Freedom to tackle challenges I have been with the company for for a couple years now. I have grown intellectually at a dramatic rate since starting with Zayo. I am constantly working on new projects just outside my grasp of expertise, but I am given enough time to sort it out and master it. The culture is great and I often come into the office feeling like I get to work on something new and exciting.

Cons

*Long hours due to little help *Stress can be over the top at times *Hard not to feel over worked *Some managers do not recognize their star employees A lot is expected out of everyone at Zayo. You will always be given more work than you could ever possibly do in a reasonable amount of time. Some people excel in this environment, but most don't. I commonly see people broken down and unhappy with their work environment due to stress. Burn out seems to be the biggest reason for loss of talent besides pay. The people who do excel in this environment that strive to perform well and make a difference are sometimes overlooked. I was brought in at below market average wages, but I eventually was recognized for my contributions and my compensation was adjusted. This is not the norm though and many people are left with stagnant wages year after year. Combine this with many departments running so lean that people start looking for a less stressful environment and Zayo may run out of talented employees given enough time.

Advice to Management

With stagnant wages and no cost of living raises your employee purchasing power erodes every year. If an employee has not had their compensation reviewed after 2 years there is a problem. Either that employee is not performing well or management is not paying attention. With that said I think that the recent changes made to the compensation plans is moving Zayo in the right direction. There is however one thing that I think has been overlooked. Many departments are over worked. We acquire company after company, but some department sizes stay the same despite the increase in work load. Many people work way over 40 hours on average just to keep up with the demand for their expertise. Management really needs to review their headcount and allow for some new hires so their current employees don't lose their sanity.

Aug 16, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for the post, and the thoughtful comments. No "cost of living" raises should not be confused with stagnant wages. As part of the "Reflect, Align, and Develop" program, we should be ... More

11. Tranzact Expert

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Zayo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The expert position is a great entry level position for a person to make the leap to infrastructure telecom. This position touches so many aspects of the business that after 2 years you could work anywhere.

Cons

If you don't keep it in check the work/life balance could suck. (This is for any position at Zayo)

Advice to Management

Keep striving for innovative ways to enhance employees' lives and they will continue to work hard for you. A lot of good programs have been started since I have started working at Zayo and I believe those programs have greatly improved the working environment greatly. The company get togethers definitely solidify the familial bond between coworkers while letting them "let their hair down."

RSS Feed </> Embed