Zayo Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

3.3

Zayo President & CEO Dan Caruso
Dan Caruso

Pros
  • Flexibility to work from home and make up time at night and on weekends (in 23 reviews)

• Zayo is packed with intelligent, hard-working individuals (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance more difficult for some than other (that needs to shift) (in 30 reviews)

• As mentioned in previous reviews, there is no 401k match and few holidays (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoy the challenges

I have been working at Zayo

Pros

Being able to work from home is great. Saves money on gas and parking.

Cons

Different product groups to provide one service sometimes creates "silo's" causing confusion on who should be responsible for what connections.

Fantastic Opportunity - Not For The Faint Of Heart

Current Employee - Operations Engineering  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Operations Engineering in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Zayo full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been in telecom for almost 20 years. During that time I've only worked for Tier 1 providers of a comparable/larger size, and I can tell you that this company is different! This is a company driven by an intense desire for success. Have a problem with a customer service, system, or on the broader network? You find yourself surrounded by subject matter experts, individual contributors, management, and even executive management. Under different companies the questions are typically along the lines of "how long until this is resolved?", "how did we get here?", and "why is this on my desk...". At Zayo, when it's time to circle the proverbial wagons you find yourself surrounded by leaders and peers asking "what is it you need from me?" and "what can I do to help you succeed?". I can tell you that it's a breath of fresh air when you realize that literally nothing will stand in the way of a successful resolution. We move fast and leadership is willing to make decisive decisions when the need arises. This is a rare recipe that you typically only see in smaller/start up organizations. Will the problems and challenges be easy? Of course not. That said, there are seldom any "easy" problems in telecom, that's a fact no matter where you go. The biggest difference is that here at Zayo I don't dread the inclusion of my peers or leadership into projects or trouble resolution. Rather than pushing a boulder up a hill with management sitting on top of it telling me to "do more with less" I'm surrounded by peers and leaders that help shoulder that load.

If you're a person who works with a mentality of "a place for everything and everything in its place", you'll find Zayo to be a chaotic experience. This company is a conglomeration of several large networks and numerous smaller ones. Combine that with our organic growth (net new customer additions) and you have an environment that is in a constant state of change. That said, there is an enormous effort underway to standardize and document our way forward. While we still have a long way to go, improvements are always underway, and the general consensus among my peers is that the company is going in the right direction. We're catching up to our size and evolving at the same time. It's exciting to say the least.

You'll read on other reviews that this company is not for the faint of heart. Truer words have never been spoken. This is a big company with the feel of a start up. We run lean and mean. That's by design. It's not a flaw, it's a culture, and it's not for everyone. When I joined this company my director was very up front about this. I was being brought in to strengthen and help grow a team, the hours would be long, and we don't fail because we don't know how to fail. That was 15 months ago, and I've learned more in those 15 months than I did in the 15 years that preceded my employment at Zayo. It wasn't easy, but nothing worth having is ever easy. I did have to learn a great deal on my own, and I invested many hours strengthening my skill sets, but the end result was worth it. I'm a much stronger engineer than I was when I joined Zayo and I've eclipsed my peers that stayed with my former employer.

All of that said, if you're high energy, self motivated, disciplined, eager to learn, and ready to be a part of something bigger than yourself, you should definitely give Zayo a hard look. Excellence is our standard. Yes this job is intense, and yes the expectations placed on us can be arduous, but leadership is very upfront about what is expected of us. Those of us that are here share the same values. We came here to be great, to grow and to learn, and to do something we've never been allowed at other companies: to contribute to the greater good and overall success without dealing with the typical "we've always done it that way".

Cons

I've already mentioned that the hours can be long. An average week is 60 - 65 hours with about 5-6 weeks a quarter of 80+ hour weeks in my current role. Management has been focused on achieving a work/life equilibrium but we've yet to achieve this goal.

Training for most technical tasks and responsibilities can be elusive. With a network of this size, consisting of remnants of many past acquisitions, there is no straightforward "this is how you'll always perform task X". Unfortunately this is all too common. This feeds frustration for new hires and entry level employees that are trying to get their feet under them. There are many senior employees, individual contributors, etc... willing to help and support you, but it gets frustrating when you require assistance on most every task you're given while you're learning the network, supporting systems, etc... You need to be a self starter, willing to research topics on your own, and capable of finding a way to succeed when such situations arise.

Quarterly bonuses can seem a bit fuzzy from time to time. We have open calls with our CEO to discuss payout, percentages, etc... but I've experienced a couple of bonuses where a percentage is announced only to find out that my product group was actually receiving a lower percentage based on factors not discussed on the call. I don't want to be the guy that complains about bonus money but it's hard to ascertain how my group performed when we get mixed messages depending on who's call you attend.

No monthly, quarterly, bi-annual, or annual employee review. It's hard to know how management perceives your contribution to the team or organizational goals when it's seldom discussed. It's hard to prioritize training and education without this feedback from leadership. It's also difficult to know and understand organizational goals (not just team goals) without this kind of back and forth with leadership.

Reduction of employee churn is a very real concern. I've observed a few organizations within our company that seem to have an unusually high turn over rate. Couple that turn over rate with a culture that rewards the top talent by promoting them out of their current assignment, and we have a recipe for a cycle that feeds on itself. We have too many young/entry level employees that come to Zayo and are placed into a high demand environment only to find that those most qualified to train and teach them have left/are leaving for a different role. This not only leaves our most vulnerable employees in a position to fend for themselves, or seek assistance outside of their team, but it feeds into an attitude of indifference, desperation, and resentment. Just because the top performer moved on does not mean the work went away. We're left with less experienced employees trying to fill the role of a senior, but they've not been given the chance to grow into that position. Some employees flounder, some do the bare minimum, some seize the opportunity and excel, and others wash out and contribute to the negative ratings I've read on this very site.

Emphasis should be placed on development of a career path for all teams that includes keeping the most qualified talent within the team ranks rather than promoting them out. As these teams build organizations on a foundation of experienced senior members, focus can be shifted to training, quality, process improvement, etc... while we focus on employee retention by empowering our newest members to succeed and mentor under their senior counterparts.

Jul 29, 2014CEO

Thank you for this post. I agree with all that you shared -- including the constructive points. We are working on the rollout of a structured employee review process, as I agree this is a gap we ... More

Awesome People, Great Company!

Current Employee - Field Operations
    Current Employee - Field Operations

I have been working at Zayo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers who are always willing to help and teach! Decent pay. Management rarely micromanages, if you're getting your tasks done in a timely manner and to standard they don't babysit you. Amazing amount of flexibility working from home. Quarterly bonuses that are tied to the performance of the company. Salesforce is pretty helpful after getting use to it. Really good Dental insurance. 401k. Everybody seems to be treated fairly and with respect.

Cons

Not being near HQ or a large office it is hard to be a part of the culture, or catch the eye of management for a job well done, and it can seem like you're forgotten. Lack of communication between departments. Very hard to get a raise, it's like Bigfoot, we have all heard of it but have never seen it. Health insurance could be better. Reducing expense compensation (cellphone) If you have to travel out of state or attend training you have to pay for everything (plane ticket, hotel...etc) and then get reimbursed.

Took awhile to find things to put into the Con section. Keep up the good work, keep us informed of the coming changes and how we can be a part of it. I believe a review system would be helpful for employees to know where they stand and how they can improve. A online learning program (technical certifications, intro to fiber optics, optical engineering....etc. etc)

Aug 25, 2014CEO

We are on the verge of rolling out a review system called "Reflect, Align, and Develop" or RAD. We will be trailing it in early September and, with refinements, roll out broadly in October. Thanks ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging Place to Work with Great People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Zayo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Definitely a great place to start your career or continue your career. I can say that I came straight out of school to work at Zayo and overall it has been a great experience. I have been at Zayo for just over two years and have held three very different positions all across the organization, this is something that I know is tough to get at other companies. I have found that if you work hard and produce high quality work you will be rewarded for your contributions. By my estimation compensation is very fair when all pieces of compensation are factored in, and for me the experience of getting to interact with upper management on a regular basis is a key piece in my overall compensation that I believe many people forget about. I saw an earlier post about how most employers keep the upper level management team separated from the rest of the company and at Zayo that is just not the case. I am young and getting the chance to interact with executives on a weekly basis, which is something I could not receive elsewhere.

The people are also amazing, the folks I work with regularly are very talented and motivated. I love the feel of a collaborative environment, we all know there are challenges and will continue to be challenges but having people that you respect and like to work with solving these challenges with you make it a great environment for innovation.

The final piece that I want to mention is the ability to work from home when it is necessary to do so. As long as the work you are producing is on time and of high quality if you need to work from home for some reason it really is not a problem. The ability to also make up time at night, sometimes things come up during the day and being able to catch up when you get home at night is a great perk.

Medical and dental benefits are top class as well.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of clarity when it comes to the bonus program. There have been quarters where I have worked incredibly hard and completed all of my goals that were given to me and yet I have received a less than stellar bonus because of a reason that is not clear to me. I understand the tie to equity IRR but I think just a little more clarity as to how exactly the bonus was funded would be greatly appreciated across the board.

Hours can get a bit taxing, for me it is not really a problem, but for others I know that the hours can become a bit much.

Keep doing what you're doing. It is clear to me that the executive team is very concerned with the well-being of their employees, especially the CEO, who is making it clear that this is at the top of his mind and that the employees are the biggest reason for success here at Zayo.

OSP Challenging At Best

Current Employee - OSP
    Current Employee - OSP

I have been working at Zayo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of my work is out of the office, I don't have to deal with a lot of office politics, which is out of control.
    I like to see the fruits of my labor starting out on paper, then actually building it. Senior management is upbeat about where the company is going. There are a lot of very talented people that work for Zayo, its really cool to collaborate with some of them. You can learn new things every day, just by pulling people into your project to help you. Even with all my experience I learn new things about construction and technology constantly.

Cons

Vacation time is still very hard to get.

Work life balance is still haven't been obtained, putting more than 8 hours on your time card is frowned on by your manager, because then they would have to confront the problem again. Its been a real struggle for Zayo to provide work life balance for its employees. I have a small child at home, and when he's in school I don't see him much, luckily its summer now and I get to spend some time with him. I almost forgot what my wife looked like, she colored her hair and I swear I never noticed.

I constantly feel my job is in jeopardy, because regardless of what you've done in the past, or how many projects you delivered on time and under budget, if you mess up just once, your getting to be called out on it by a VP, which includes having to describe in writing how you messed up, and how you can do it better next time. I don't know about you, but I'm passed being treated like a child, its a mistake we learn and we move on. To me it sounds like I'm being written up, without actually getting it in my employee file, but then it will be used against me later when it has to be. I personally feel the crosshairs are right on me, and pressure is intense at times.

I've had the same job for three years, and in that time I've had 8 management changes. Its hard to impress someone when your boss keeps leaving. If you don't impress your manager, you don't get the perks ("ownership")

We build to our customers so they can have dark fiber, you don't want us to miss our dates, we don't want to miss our dates, so be part of the solution not the problem. Id love to see our direct management team get held to the same standards we get held to. I would love to have a one on one with Dan Caruso to discuss what being a real entrepreneur is (without any repercussions), because we don't have that in OSP. We are micromanaged from SVP down to our VP and directors, at times there are more managers in our office than workers, all telling us what to do and how to do it. I really would like to see more "ownership" passed around, especially people that have been around for a while. The people that I've known that has received "ownership" are new, and friends with their supervisors. We should be required to take time off, like a lot of Tech companies do. It shouldn't be a benefit, it should be a requirement to keep you fresh. I haven't had a vacation in 3 years with Zayo and longer than that before Zayo. I haven't had time to recharge my batteries in a long time. Lastly Id like to see all failure be distributed evenly on all those who were part of it, instead of putting it on one person, and making that person the fall guy, because that seems like the Zayo way.

Aug 25, 2014CEO

I always welcome discussions on topic on Entrepreneurship (and other topics as well). We are rolling out an Employee Review program titled "Reflect, Align, and Develop" or RAD. Your feedback ... More

My experience at Zayo has been the absolute best of my career in the telecom industry.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Zayo full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work at Zayo is both challenging and rewarding and those are 2 very important aspects to me. There are reviews that say the work-life balance is out of sync but in my experience that is simply not true. There is a great deal flexibility at Zayo, such as the ability to work from home in many cases and that is extremely important to me, having a family with 2 young children. I'm able to put in the hard hours of work while still being able to easily transition to family life outside of work hours. Due to this flexibility, strong future growth and outstanding compensation it's simply the best company to work for in this industry in my opinion

Cons

Yes, there can be some long hours on occasion but in my experience it has never been anything that I could not handle.

I would suggest a few more PTO days and would SERIOUSLY hope they never change their flexible policy of being able to work from home where it makes sense. That is such a big part of what makes this job so great

Jul 29, 2014CEO

Thanks for the post. I'm glad to hear that you are finding a good work-life balance. I am equally thrilled you see Zayo as the best company to work for in this industry. I agree!!! For several ... More

Great Company - Enjoy my work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zayo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Challenging work environment - who does not want to be challenged in their work environment.
    - Great employees whom are motivated to make a difference in the work they do.
    - Company performance (enough said)

Cons

- Too many junior level employees with lack of knowledge are given opportunities over more seasoned employees who truly understand the business.
    - Lots or rework in certain areas and lack of trust for those in decision making roles (Zayo needs to work on empowering Sr. level employees to make decisions).

Look at ways to reward those that truly add value to the company through their individual efforts. Many of these employees add significant value and or realized savings to Zayo however are not rewarded for their efforts.

Good and bad experience

I have been working at Zayo

Pros

You will gain experience and be challenged.
    Pockets of good, genuine leaders.
    Compensation seems competitive until you experience everything you will eventually go through.

Cons

Leadership comes off as petulant.
    Hanging around and out with leadership shouldn't lead to a Director or big title irrespective of indiscernible qualifications or degree of output but guess it can. This diminishes titles, causes dissension among employees and a lack of confidence and trust.
    Absurd hours for some. Louisville comes to mind.
    There's a high probability of being treated like a moron at some point.

You can't buy food for your family or pay rent with equity. Charity is a personal and private choice. Promote people with a strong track record for results.

Jul 29, 2014CEO

Thanks for you post. I don't know your specific experiences, so it is hard for me to comment on some of your specific ascertions. I'm sorry to hear your experiences with leadership is mixed ... More

Chaotic

I have been working at Zayo full-time

Pros

Boulder location
    Salesforce.com and data integrity

Cons

Accounting and finance is extremely chaotic. CFO has favorites and this causes gossip and job dissatisfaction. I don't trust that results will be rewarded. Instead those who worked with the CFO prior to Zayo seem to be favored.

Reward results. Stop listening to the squeaky wheels and start giving responsibility and rewards to the people who deliver. Watch spending in the HR group. Too many field trips when we are trying to make bonus numbers is frustrating.

Jul 29, 2014CEO

I appreciate the feedback and am sorry to hear about the frustrations. I agree accounting and finance is too chaotic. We have a lot going on in these areas, and the accounting profession is a tough ... More

You can't appreciate the good jobs without experiencing the bad ones.

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zayo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the most dedicated people that I've ever worked with.

Cons

Senior management's complete contempt of those employees and any appreciation towards Work / Life balance.

1) Training. You have solid, experienced and intelligent people throughout Zayo. Instead of working them 65-80 hours per week, plus weekends, staff up and provide these people an opportunity to create training programs to enable the rotational interns that are looking for ways to become successful. As more people become knowledgeable, the possibility exists to drive revenue, increase massive EBIDA and flip the company sooner.

2) Treat employees as humans. Ain't never gonna happen, but hope remains eternal.

Worked for Zayo? Contribute to the Community!