Zazzle Reviews in Redwood City, CA

Updated August 27, 2014
3.8

Robert Beaver

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company with a personal touch

Former Employee - Financial Analyst Intern in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst Intern in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Zazzle as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I spent the last two months interning at Zazzle and had an excellent experience. Although two months isn't very long, I was really impressed with the culture of the company. Everyone on my team was helpful and willing to spend time training me, one on one. Even members of other departments were outgoing and encouraging. Zazzle has assembled a smart, talented group of employees, but the environment fosters cooperation not competition.

Due to the company's size, the different departments work closely together on a regular basis. The entire company seems to be working towards the same goal in collaboration with one another.

I was really impressed by the effort the company makes to treat their employees well. Zazzle offers many perks that are typically seen only at larger tech companies.

Cons

As a company with big ambitions but a relatively small workforce, Zazzle will need employees willing to work hard and tackle challenging problems.

Definitely a career setback and lesson in running a facade

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Zazzle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One thing is consistent through pretty much all the reviews. You will meet some great people. But then again - misery does love company.

Cons

The positive reviews come as no surprise. Primarily because of how they operate. They are not an organic company but invest a lot in appearing to be one. That is through SEO and a gigantic employee turnover. You cannot be a 15 year old startup. You just cannot be. Not without a gigantic payout for all those involved. And that is the problem. You will work like you are at a startup but you will never be rewarded. So many of the skills you pick up are non-transferable that after a while you scramble to get anything tangible enough to give you enough credibility to get out of there.

The codependency induced atmosphere stems from an apparent regard for all things Stanford and elite and a genuine lack of sincerity in the delivery of perks company wide. There is an invisible class system that exists. While you may work next to somebody from an elite scholarly or familial background and feel you contribute just as much, make no mistake, you are at a disadvantage unless they tell you otherwise.

If you are not going to provide your employees with a just compensation, at least give them a decent work life balance.

Lots of opportunity if you're up for it

Current Employee - UI / Creative in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - UI / Creative in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- People in different departments are pretty approachable if you have ideas and can back them up with a solid case
    - Lots of opportunity and room to grow if you're willing to put in the time or have good ideas
    - Flexible core hours (11am-5pm)
    - Lunch discount, catered dinner
    - Travel/Conference opportunities
    - Great learning environment if you have creative interests outside your main expertise

Cons

- It doesn't operate like a "big" company. It operates like a startup, even though it's growing quite a bit, which means "big company people" might not get the culture right away.
    - If you come in the door with a laundry list of expectations, it might not be the best fit for your personality.
    - People looking to coast along are probably better off at a traditional company.

Keep listening to folks giving candid feedback. It makes a difference.

Fake Glass Door reviews says it all

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Zazzle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture: People were very smart and great to work with. Too bad they all left.

Benefits: Good benefits, free gym, $5 off your lunch and free dinners were great. However, people that I knew have gotten in trouble for getting our free dinners and not "staying late enough" from the CEO.

Cons

- Management doesn't care about their employees.
    - Pay is not industry standard
    - No room for growth. The only way to move up is if you leave the company.
    - CEO doesn't do CEO-like responsibilities. Instead, he spends his time calling out the poor soul who left a water bottle behind in a conference room to the entire company. Also, he loves watching the recordings of the prison cams around the office to see if people take more than one drink from the fridge, checking to see if you do too much overtime, and seeing how many $5 credits you use every week.
    - The execs care more about their expensive tree-table (among other things) than they do their employees

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've only been at Zazzle for about 5 months, but have already been given a role with more responsibility within marketing (was hired into customer service). The teams are growing quickly now with a lot of new faces pretty much every week. The people I work with are smart and work very hard.

Cons

No comments - having a great time.

There are a lot of other great people in CS - be sure to look there for other positions when they open up.

Having a good time

Current Employee - Marketing/Merchandising in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing/Merchandising in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I graduated in January and joined Zazzle after meeting them at a career fair. The recruiting process was quick and I have really enjoyed my first 3-4 months. I have gotten to learn a lot on the job (I did not know much about online marketing before I came here), but my manager has been helpful and I feel like I am contributing.

I guess it is also worth mentioning that the campus is great - there is a gym I have used once but have every intention of using more soon. . .trust me.

Cons

I live in SF and take the train down - there is a shuttle from CalTrain but sometimes the times are not ideal.

Good company with some small problems

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been at Zazzle for two years and have really enjoyed my time. My manager is smart and our group has grown significantly. I was hired to work in the international team and have gotten exposure to thinkgs like SEM and SEO that I knew nothing about when I started.

Cons

The most successful people (those who get promotions anyway) work pretty long hours (9 to 7:30 or so). If you want one on one time with senior management, you need to stay late.

Need to hire more people in the office that fit your target demographic

Creative company with an awesome workforce.

Current Employee - Human Resources in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with a talented team, passionate about our product and dedicated to excellence. Interesting and challenging work in an incredible environment. We also have a terrific total compensation package with awesome medial benefits, a gym membership and subsidized meals.

Cons

Yes I would much rather be hiking, but until I figure out how to get paid for that I'll stay at Zazzle.

Great if you just want to do as told

I worked at Zazzle full-time

Pros

- Free gym membership
    - Used to be made up of many incredibly smart & nice people
    - Employee discounts if you care about their products
    - Will hear out your ideas if you have strong data to back it up
    - Great place to be if you don't like asking why, and have no creativity.

Cons

- Furniture/office prioritized over people (as evidenced by the droves of people leaving).
    - Pay grossly below market average. No action besides "we're looking into it"
    - Executives make ultimatums and order certain actions be taken. They will later ask why revenue goals are not met, and deny their bad decisions.
    - Health insurance not great
    - Even if you come in early, you'll get funny looks leaving before 6.
    - Gloat about spending tons of money on the building, tables, a logo light for the roof (who's going to see, you're in the middle of a marsh). Proceed to tell everyone there's no money for raises.

Stop talking about spending tons of money on furniture. That's doing nothing for the already low morale. Acknowledge and address salary, or continue to bleed crucial employees. A few specific executives need to work on their people skills.

Not a young company, no longer a startup, not a real story, you are not a part of the vision

Former Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Zazzle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great opportunity to meet up and comers that will eventually move on to better fits at companies that appreciate diligence and hard work vs. where you went to school and your parents' connections.

Cons

The whole thing is a sham. The cheesy atmosphere and startup story fronts for a poorly run family and friends of family business that likely started for the soul purpose of meeting girls until birthright turned it into something else. Stakeholders that are not family or friends of family BEWARE.

The story is wonderful at first. The office is truly nice. The executive and management teams are inviting. You really feel like they value your opinion and contributions. If you are lucky enough to get a job outside of customer service or production what will happen (and it will happen for sure) is that they will give you ownership of some exciting project or task. The task or project, like their startup story, is a front and quite Machiavellian. This is a powerful tool that they use to propel you into your role without ever really telling you what that is. While you think you are empowered and a part of that startup culture, they are getting a sense for how you work with other teams and slowly starting to direct your efforts towards menial tasks that require some skill but not your direction and certainly little in the way of ownership.
    It is in this last point that they are like a startup. Ill-equipped at the executive management level to have enough foresight to establish separate business units that enable people to grow within the company, they micromanage employees. Eventually you will realize that what you thought was pay commensurate with startup experience is actually low pay for work done to keep their current product relevant. As this is necessary for all products that can be easily replicated you will find that you are merely a high tech laborer or a glorified construction worker.

There truly is a glass ceiling at Zazzle. They do a great job of concealing it at first because you can touch and feel the product but you will hit a wall if you are not closely associated with the family or Stanford alumni.

You need look no further than the culture of their customer service and production departments to understand the eventual situation you will be in. I will first say that if you find yourself working in either of these two, you can find better. The message conveyed by the management team is one that dictates hard work will get you a better position in the company and more specifically outside of these departments. They use a couple of fringe cases. These are typically (though there are exceptions) people that come into the position overqualified or who work countless hours without pay. Promotions within are typically set aside for these people and an environment of petty distrust and hate is created. The day to day is miserable and there is no true connection with the “joys” of the company at large. In fact these folks are treated like outsiders. Eventually this happens to everyone, no matter what department. There are multiple circles that exist. And if you are not in the inner circle or don’t know somebody who is, the company is not worth your time. This goes for all stakeholders.

This is a business run be elitists not an elite business. Do not be swept off your feet by the allure fancy spending and interest they pretend to show in you. You are a cog in the wheel and not a part of the big picture. The expectation is that if you take a job from them, they will find a way to work you 60-80 hours a week with little in the way of recognition or compensation.

You need to hire a CEO with vision that can enable people with true talent to collaborate with those that you are already backing (senior engineers). Grow your business units. Stop faking excitement. Bring the company to life and create a place that people want to be a part of. Not a place where employees and business partners are made to feel like they are valued when you are truly wasting their time on something that really is NOT one of a kind.