Zazzle Reviews

Robert Beaver

1. Featured Review

Fantastic 5 Years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Zazzle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Last Friday was my last day at Zazzle. During my time there, I held positions in engineering, marketing, and platform. I cannot imagine having the opportunity to see so many parts of a business anywhere else. Eventually, I was given the opportunity to pitch new ideas and eventually grow a team to get them done. I cannot say enough good things about the people there at all levels.

Some of the stuff I loved:

- Internal Development: I can think of three separate people who have been promoted to director level at Zazzle who started as junior members. One started as a shirt presser and worked into a senior management position in marketing.

- Great Engineers: The technical talent I worked with was among the best I ever met. They have engineers to do not just implement, but also improve products as they are being built

- Fun Culture: The office environment is open and friendly. Thursday happy hours, comp lunch (and dinner if you stay late), on campus gym, beautiful views of the bay from the building.

- Transparency: Senior execs are very open with priorities and progress. I never felt like I did not know how we were doing as a company.

- Opportunity: As I mentioned before, I joined as a manager and was given the opportunity to increase responsibility multiple times in my five years. We hired a lot of new people and I got to see a lot of people earn shots and new jobs in their existing departments or in others

Cons

I do not really know what to see here. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Zazzle and the only things I would write as cons feel too nit-picky for me to mention.

Interesting lifetime experience

Former Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Zazzle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned what not to do in a startup.
    Beautiful office.
    Cemented my desire to become self-employed.

Cons

Politics.
    Lack of organization from top to bottom. Lack of processes and state of the art business tools meant gigantic human capital waste in manual type of work.
    Time waste - didn't feel like I learned anything or grew from the experience.

Advice to Management

Execute routine re-organization and get rid of people who are difficult to work with or holding the company back.

Lack of Trust

Former Employee - Undisclosed in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Undisclosed in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Zazzle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Despite the lack of direction from management, the subordinates do a great job keeping the company running on all cylinders. Great co-workers, nice office.

Cons

Completely family run - so much so there are a lot of uncomfortable scenarios where one cannot report or complain about a family member. CEO is obsessed with people working until 6pm - so much so he walks the office to see who is still there. They have major trust issues, micro managing time spent. They way under-pay good talent, especially considering you have to drive to the middle of nowhere in Silicon Valley (you have one option for lunch). 401k match is a joke. No direction or clear vision.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees. We actually like working there and put in good work. 8 hours is 8 hours; it doesn't matter if you're there until 6:00. Pay more!!

I recommend not working here!

I worked at Zazzle full-time

Pros

A good thing about zazzle is that there is flexibility to take initiate because roles aren't very established/defined.

Cons

The company overhypes itself. Company culture is nonexistent. Family-run; there is a member of the family leading every department. It's also a really strange and uncomfortable environment - being in the office is like sitting in a school library. No talking! We worked really hard through the holidays and didn't get any party/bonus/appreciation. Pay is below average. Drama-filled environment.

Advice to Management

Support and show consideration to your employees, please.

Depressing place to work now

I have been working at Zazzle

Pros

Supportive co-workers
    Campus is convenient
    Memories

Cons

I finally did it. I started looking for something new last week after realizing that this place is just not capable of recapturing any of what made it great. More layoffs, more people quitting everywhere and worse, more senior Engineers leaving is not what I consider a thriving company. You also can't run a company if the only people you're able to hire are interns.

Several of my co-workers have spoken with their managers and HR and nothing ever seems to get better. I am not a quitter but all of the department heads are family or insiders and they only look out for each other. Don't fool yourself if you think it's different for you. It's not.

I guess the silver lining is they'll have more ex-employees to spread the blame of why this place is falling apart. Looks like I'll be part of that too when I'm gone.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do. Mixing unwarranted ego with inexperience and burying your head in the sand has served you well. Own your fate, you earned every minute of it.

A frightening number of systemic issues wrapped in a shiny box.

Current Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle

Pros

-Beautiful office. Seriously.
    -Free gym membership @ Pacific Shores
    -Subsidized lunches
    -Catered dinners (if you work until 7:00-7:30)
    -Happy Hours, fun offsites, and other events (when they feel like spending money)
    -Full supply of healthy snacks, fruit, and drinks
    -Employee discounts

If you meet any of the following qualifications--

A) You have a CS degree from Stanford or CMU, OR
    B) Are a student at one of the above institutions looking for a paid internship, OR
    C) You are part of the family.

--you will be treated like a valued employee, get paid at market rate, and you will probably enjoy your tenure here.

Cons

Look at these reviews—the only positive ones are from interns, software engineers, and family cronies.

Another commenter spoke of “[witnessing] the actual collapse of a once great business,” and I could not agree more with his or her point. Leadership is simply out of touch on so many levels, and the business feels like it’s falling apart because of it. Only I can’t tell if it’s willful ignorance or just plain ignorance.

-They take so much pride in and build so much hype around how they’re ‘changing the world’ and ‘building a rocket ship to the future,’ but it’s a total farce because the brand has little to no visibility. Most people in the Valley don’t even know the brand!
    -The company has been in operation for over ten years, yet they still claim to be a startup—they use that attitude as an excuse to underpay people and deprive them of the tools needed for success. Leadership seems to be ok with keeping its people inefficient and criticizing them for being that way.
    -The dev team is pitifully small for a company this size, and leadership seems to be just fine with it. The team works hard, but is still overextended. The company has fallen behind because they won’t invest in increasing their dev bandwidth, and initiatives get delayed or progress at a glacial pace because they won’t invest in increasing their dev bandwidth.
    -Speaking of falling behind, has leadership ever used the site? It’s a mess. Years behind almost every other company in the space. It’s a small miracle that average people actually spend money there. Ask any employee and they will tell you that their families refuse to use the site because it is such a pain in the rear. Too bad they don't have the dev bandwidth to overhaul the damn thing.
    -Leadership likes to show off things they think are cool, and they expect the rest of the staff to think they are cool, too. Newsflash: no one gives a crap and we would rather focus on our jobs. They took everyone away from our desks for over an hour to show off their 'gift' to us, a mobile Zazzle directory app. Really? What a supreme waste of man hours and precious dev time! Not long after, we got a 2 hour 'tour' of the office we already work in… while the ‘tour guide’ (ahem) rode around on a Segway and spoke or yelled exclusively through a bullhorn. WTF. Great use of our time, guys.

I could go on. And on. And on. Sure, every company is going to have its systemic issues, but good companies want to fix those issues; good companies invest time and money into fixing those issues; good companies fix those issues to promote the health of the business. Zazzle is not one of those companies.

Advice to Management

-Pay your people what they deserve!
    -Give your people the tools they need to succeed.
    -Be honest with your people about how the business is doing. Kill the stupid hype machine.
    -You say 'our people are our passion,' so act like you mean it.

-Quit being so scared to give outsiders access to your data. It's probably cheaper to buy polished, enterprise-quality tools than to have your overburdened dev team build janky ones from scratch.
    -Quit acting like you're a startup. You're not fooling anyone.
    -Quit pushing new initiatives and focus on fixing existing problems.

Fun, but not always very organized

I have been working at Zazzle

Pros

Everyone in the office is incredibly friendly and interested in who you are and what you're working on which I found oddly refreshing. The projects I worked on were also very interesting and fun to solve. I'm glad to have had the opportunity to be a part of such a fun and rapidly changing company.

Cons

At times I found it difficult to know what I was supposed to be doing, because there was always so much going on - one day, one project would be a top priority, and another day it would change.

A company with boundless opportunity, in need of a bit more structure.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Zazzle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can build the career that you really want working with brilliant people in each department.
    Very supportive culture - as long as you're giving it your all, there's leeway.
    If you have an idea, there's a strong possibility that it can/will be implemented.

Cons

At times company feels cliquish - it can be difficult to break into tighter groups.
    While things have been improving, a more structured/stable vision would benefit many employees.

Advice to Management

Focus on reaching out to junior staff, building their careers will help to stabilize the core of the company.

Below Average Company, Below Average Salaries

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle full-time

Pros

They are located in a nice business complex in the middle of Silicon Valley. However, given recent news that Google just acquired the complex called Pacific Shores, I doubt Zazzle will be there for much longer. There was a $5 lunch card that was given to most employees. The gym benefits were also very good. Not much pros to say about the inner workings of the company itself. It's very disorganized and decentralized.

Cons

Compensation is below industry standards in most of the business units. Marketing staff is underpaid, customer service business agents are treated as second class citizens and the creative team is almost non-existent anymore. Perks...yeah well there's a $5 credit for lunches and dinner is catered Monday-Thursday. However, expect to stay very late if you order dinner unless you'd like to be shunned by upper management. Growth is non-existent and career opportunities are disguised with fake titles. Overall, I wished I would have never accepted the job offer I got.

Advice to Management

None. They don't listen anyways.

If you get a call from Zazzle - Be smart & RUN!

Current Employee - Marketing Department in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Department in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The poor souls who slave away for a money hungry family called the Beavers. The employees here are extremely nice and personable only when they're not scared to speak during work hours. The office spaces are very modern and nice but don't let that fool you b/c that's the only thing Zazzle has to offer.

Cons

The management team (Beavers)
    Jason - their side kick (CMO, CFO, hitler)
    No growth - don't let them lie to you. There's NO growth whatsoever and you can forget about getting raises because there aren't performance reviews or anything to that effect. if you want a raise then you better start beg, lie and steal.
    Don't believe the positive reviews on here because the CEO has coerced employees to leave fake positive feedback to try to increase their rating on glassdoor.
    If you're smart, you will make your decisions based on all of the negative reviews on here because we have no reason to lie or waste our time to leave reviews unless its really necessary.
    No one ever speaks during working hours because their afraid to talk with one another and the CEO sits right in the middle of the room.
    Every snack, drink or dinner is tracked by the CEO and his minions so if you abuse the policy by drinking multiple drinks a day then expect a conversation with HR.

Advice to Management

Don't make your employees leave positive reviews to try to entice new employees to join the company. it won't take long for them to notice the issues that are going on internally. Low morale, no team work, way too many meetings to discuss nothing, they expect you to work at least 12 hours a day or else you're considered a bad employee.

Zazzle Response

Nov 6, 2014Social Media Manager

I don’t normally engage in online forum postings/rebuttals, etc., but given that my name was specifically called out in this one, I feel compelled to respond.

If there’s a specific action/behavior
    ... More