Zazzle

Updated February 12, 2015
Updated February 12, 2015
2.9

Robert Beaver

Fun, but not always very organized

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle

Pros

Everyone in the office is incredibly friendly and interested in who you are and what you're working on which I found oddly refreshing. The projects I worked on were also very interesting and fun to solve. I'm glad to have had the opportunity to be a part of such a fun and rapidly changing company.

Cons

At times I found it difficult to know what I was supposed to be doing, because there was always so much going on - one day, one project would be a top priority, and another day it would change.

You know there's a problem when recruiters stop calling

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Zazzle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Memories of great days from 2009-2012
    The view before we moved into a building on the salt flats with no blinds
    The shuttle that runs between Seaport and CalTrain

Cons

I never thought I would say this but I have witnessed the actual collapse of a once great business. There was a time when we felt connected to our company. Sadly the people in place to generate excitement, loyalty and ethics have all left for better opportunities. In their place are 9 to 5 zombies incapable of working at higher tier companies. Laziness and apathy have replaced hard work and passion.

Back in 2009-2012 phones never stopped ringing from recruiters and friends asking if you were happy. Of course we were happy and outside of some of the Product team, I can't remember anyone worth anything leaving during that time. We were unstoppable. Then in 2013 the phones stopped ringing. The cracks began to show and before anyone noticed more than half the company left in the next 18 months. A-players were replaced by B-players if your team was lucky. More times than not you would either have to do two jobs or you would get C and D-level employees since that's the caliber of employee who would join.

The sad day comes when you start interviewing and team after team tells you that your skills have no value.

You can't fix what the founders and upper "management" doesn't think is broken. They have found fault in every employee who has left and openly talk about them in public. You guys (guys=no women in authority positions) must be right after all since things are going so well.

Incompetent upper management

Former Employee - Inventory and Receiving in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Inventory and Receiving in San Jose, CA

I worked at Zazzle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You still get a paycheck, work is easy if you are ok with handling boredom

Cons

Managers actively prevent you from getting your work done faster and more efficiently, they'd rather you look busy, than actually doing anything. No upward mobility, all management comes from outside, rather than promoting people with ample experience from within. The pay is barely above minimum, that includes forklift drivers.

The Irony of poor management

I have been working at Zazzle

Pros

They say one thing and do the opposite.
    They demand one thing and then don't do it themselves.
    They have rules but they don't apply to management.

Cons

For years management has said "no PTO from November to Christmas." They have even fired people for taking time off during this period. Its widely know that we need all hands on deck during the holiday rush. Fair enough because most of our business is done at this time of year.

Guess what? They broke their own rules this year.

The entire team just left for a wedding in Hawaii. Gone for the week.

Go figure.

play by your own foolish rules.

If you get a call from Zazzle - Be smart & RUN!

Current Employee - Marketing Department in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Department in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The poor souls who slave away for a money hungry family called the Beavers. The employees here are extremely nice and personable only when they're not scared to speak during work hours. The office spaces are very modern and nice but don't let that fool you b/c that's the only thing Zazzle has to offer.

Cons

The management team (Beavers)
    Jason - their side kick (CMO, CFO, hitler)
    No growth - don't let them lie to you. There's NO growth whatsoever and you can forget about getting raises because there aren't performance reviews or anything to that effect. if you want a raise then you better start beg, lie and steal.
    Don't believe the positive reviews on here because the CEO has coerced employees to leave fake positive feedback to try to increase their rating on glassdoor.
    If you're smart, you will make your decisions based on all of the negative reviews on here because we have no reason to lie or waste our time to leave reviews unless its really necessary.
    No one ever speaks during working hours because their afraid to talk with one another and the CEO sits right in the middle of the room.
    Every snack, drink or dinner is tracked by the CEO and his minions so if you abuse the policy by drinking multiple drinks a day then expect a conversation with HR.

Don't make your employees leave positive reviews to try to entice new employees to join the company. it won't take long for them to notice the issues that are going on internally. Low morale, no team work, way too many meetings to discuss nothing, they expect you to work at least 12 hours a day or else you're considered a bad employee.

Zazzle Response

Nov 6, 2014Social Media Manager

I don’t normally engage in online forum postings/rebuttals, etc., but given that my name was specifically called out in this one, I feel compelled to respond.

If there’s a specific action/behavior
    ... More

A company with boundless opportunity, in need of a bit more structure.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Zazzle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can build the career that you really want working with brilliant people in each department.
    Very supportive culture - as long as you're giving it your all, there's leeway.
    If you have an idea, there's a strong possibility that it can/will be implemented.

Cons

At times company feels cliquish - it can be difficult to break into tighter groups.
    While things have been improving, a more structured/stable vision would benefit many employees.

Focus on reaching out to junior staff, building their careers will help to stabilize the core of the company.

Below Average Company, Below Average Salaries

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle full-time

Pros

They are located in a nice business complex in the middle of Silicon Valley. However, given recent news that Google just acquired the complex called Pacific Shores, I doubt Zazzle will be there for much longer. There was a $5 lunch card that was given to most employees. The gym benefits were also very good. Not much pros to say about the inner workings of the company itself. It's very disorganized and decentralized.

Cons

Compensation is below industry standards in most of the business units. Marketing staff is underpaid, customer service business agents are treated as second class citizens and the creative team is almost non-existent anymore. Perks...yeah well there's a $5 credit for lunches and dinner is catered Monday-Thursday. However, expect to stay very late if you order dinner unless you'd like to be shunned by upper management. Growth is non-existent and career opportunities are disguised with fake titles. Overall, I wished I would have never accepted the job offer I got.

None. They don't listen anyways.

Do not have high expectations.

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Zazzle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Located in a nice campus.
    5 dollar lunch cards.
    Snacks.

Cons

Employees work in constant fear of upper management. Many employees are not allowed to park in font of the building or smoke cigarettes near it. There have been employees terminated in the past for this.

None.

Fantastic 5 Years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Zazzle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Last Friday was my last day at Zazzle. During my time there, I held positions in engineering, marketing, and platform. I cannot imagine having the opportunity to see so many parts of a business anywhere else. Eventually, I was given the opportunity to pitch new ideas and eventually grow a team to get them done. I cannot say enough good things about the people there at all levels.

Some of the stuff I loved:

- Internal Development: I can think of three separate people who have been promoted to director level at Zazzle who started as junior members. One started as a shirt presser and worked into a senior management position in marketing.

- Great Engineers: The technical talent I worked with was among the best I ever met. They have engineers to do not just implement, but also improve products as they are being built

- Fun Culture: The office environment is open and friendly. Thursday happy hours, comp lunch (and dinner if you stay late), on campus gym, beautiful views of the bay from the building.

- Transparency: Senior execs are very open with priorities and progress. I never felt like I did not know how we were doing as a company.

- Opportunity: As I mentioned before, I joined as a manager and was given the opportunity to increase responsibility multiple times in my five years. We hired a lot of new people and I got to see a lot of people earn shots and new jobs in their existing departments or in others

Cons

I do not really know what to see here. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Zazzle and the only things I would write as cons feel too nit-picky for me to mention.

Great company with a personal touch

Former Intern - Financial Analyst Intern in Redwood City, CA
    Former Intern - Financial Analyst Intern in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Zazzle as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I spent the last two months interning at Zazzle and had an excellent experience. Although two months isn't very long, I was really impressed with the culture of the company. Everyone on my team was helpful and willing to spend time training me, one on one. Even members of other departments were outgoing and encouraging. Zazzle has assembled a smart, talented group of employees, but the environment fosters cooperation not competition.

Due to the company's size, the different departments work closely together on a regular basis. The entire company seems to be working towards the same goal in collaboration with one another.

I was really impressed by the effort the company makes to treat their employees well. Zazzle offers many perks that are typically seen only at larger tech companies.

Cons

As a company with big ambitions but a relatively small workforce, Zazzle will need employees willing to work hard and tackle challenging problems.