ZeOmega

Updated November 18, 2014
Updated November 18, 2014
3.5

Sathya “Sam” Rangaswamy

Pros
  • Company is growing and as a result growth opportunities are excellent (in 3 reviews)

• Co-workers there are generally wonderful people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • This will directly affect employee's work timings, there by affecting the work-life balance in a negative way (in 6 reviews)

• micromanagement, hostile executives, very long work days, cost of benefits, high turnover- even among the execs they courted (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Project Manager III

Former Employee - Project Manager III in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager III in Plano, TX

I worked at ZeOmega full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pace is blindingly fast...it doesn't have a lot of structure so it's a great place to learn how to under duress. I l earned a lot of about IT project management. Senior leadership is very involved: starting with Sam the CEO and the leaders in their Bangalore office.

My team of BAs, Developers and QA were helpful. I appreciated everyone had a pitch in and get the job done attitude. Learned a lot in my 1.5 years there

Cons

Would have enjoyed more wfh opportunities. It was stressful to have early morning calls with my India team, client morning calls and then trying to squeeze in "get ready for work" activities only to sit in traffic just to get in office. Time could have been used to continue working and producing.

No complaints really. I wished there were more opportunities for the PMs to advance and move up.

Had promise until...

I worked at ZeOmega full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Eager co-workers and a trend in the marketplace.

Cons

Management, management, management. This place lacks a structured management team. Everything is hodge-podged together. There are absolutely no policies, procedures or tangible work instructions. It's fly by the seat of your pants in most instances. Promote to the level of incompetence is the norm.
    Implementations are typically dump and run and let the other teams clean up after the fact. Support is primarily based overseas and if there's a competing project, you get bottom of the barrel. Company got an infusion of cash, but wasted a lot of it by bringing in other talent that decided the enticements were not enough to keep them around. Product management is one other thing they lack. The management team has no understanding of it and it's processes. The press releases, or lack thereof, are very telling

Experience shows they turn a deaf ear...

Good Place to Work and Learn

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at ZeOmega full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been here for over 5 years and am excited to see the growth. The executive leaders and senior management are very focused on the growth of the organization and the employees. The company works with the employees on their career path and helps them move over to other departments as required.

Management is very friendly and down-to-earth. Very promising for both experienced and freshers. Provides a lot of opportunities to grow. Great culture and work environment.

Cons

None that I know. Been here for long enough.

You are doing a great job!!! Company is growing and so are we. Happy to be part of this organization.

Creativity abounds

Current Employee - Director in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Plano, TX

I have been working at ZeOmega full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership and management rely on staff teams to be creative and solution oriented. Folks are dedicated and hardworking. This company has grown due to the passion of its leadership. The work is hard but the rewards are great. The CEO is very open in sharing in the wealth of the company's success. Because this is a cross-cultural organization, I believe that this adds strength. For some people this can be a challenge, but only if they don't open their minds and hearts to possibility. For those that want rigid structure and being "told" what to do, this is not the company for you -- me, I prefer creative freedom which is very much valued by the leadership including its very passionate CEO!

Cons

I have seen some of the complaints about poor PTO, but I've worked for years and for a small company, the benefits are quite in line with much, much larger organizations. This has been an entrepreneurial company for many years and continues to be to some extent; policies and procedures are a little lagging, but if everyone is part of the solution it will not be a problem for much longer.

Continue to bring US and India teams together.

statement from veteran developer in the US

Current Employee - Architect/Developer in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Architect/Developer in Plano, TX

I have been working at ZeOmega full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic place to work for developers who love working with open source.

Company culture is excellent in my opinion; a lot of bright & talented people, high diversity, including women engineers, transgender friendly workplace, racially/culturally diverse, and very progressive. Management takes care of those who contribute by giving generous bonuses for success in the marketplace.

Engineering culture has improved in recent years, and our new CTO is doing a lot to foster that. I'm seeing a lot more investment in training, test engineering, emphasis on code quality, and migration away from legacy technology.

Many employees are free to work from home as needed, with no strict in-office hours; this is especially true for developers but I see it with others as well.

The benefits are excellent; not many companies as high a percentage of insurance costs, and they promising to increase this even more next year.

Cons

A lot of developers get pulled into support, due to code quality issues, lack of adequate testing of releases, lack of good issue tracking & knowledgebase, and lack of strong configuration management. Fortunately these are solvable problems and I am seeing strong signs of this situation improving. (see Pros above) We are not out of the woods yet but out of challenge comes opportunity for creative solutions.

We know you're human and under a lot of stress because rapid growth is hard and we all have to learn tough lessons along the way. Stay human! I love that we have genuine human beings running the place. It's OK to have emotions as long as you know when to step back and apply hard rationality and business sense.

Most of us appreciate your openness and brutal honesty even when you send out companywide emails which help put us in touch with business realities and what's happening behind the scenes. However, the emails about office politics are confusing and kind of scary to people who don't know what's happening or what the emails are about. Some of the companywide emails might had a de-motivating and demoralizing effect. Some of us stay at ZeOmega just because we have a thick skin.

Celebrate the cultural diversity at ZeOmega! The cross cultural pollination is something I have consistently seen people enjoy. Let's have more dancing & singing in the US office events! Clearly it's a good thing in the Bangalore office.

I personally really appreciate that you are inventing this company your own way, and don't try to make it work like a normal American corporation. This is actually great and I hope more of our employees can appreciate how much conventional corporate idiocy we are avoiding.

One more thing: find something to replace BizApp or at least don't tie our future to it too much. Also get a mature issue tracker with a serious implementation plan.

stay away if you have a choice

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at ZeOmega full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good product ,decent salaries and they will sponsor your visa

Cons

Every thing else! It is depressing working here. This place feels like a waiting room with people desparate to catch the next train. The work culture is horrible, total favoritism. Policies vary based on if you are one of the 'friends and family' clan members. Project managers know how to exploit the visa depencies and make people work long hours to pick up their slack. I would like to see how many of these loyal empoyees posting five star reviews upon the CEO s order will stick around once they get their green cards,

Rather than trying to cover up the shortcomings by posting fake reviews put in some effort to see what really needs to be fixed. Hire outside executive talent to learn how to professionally manage a growing organization in the US. Assign responsibilities based on skills and abilities, not favoritism and teach your managers some soft skills.

Company with good IT healthcare solution, bad management

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Plano, TX

I have been working at ZeOmega full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good technology solution, the market wants it

Cons

Look at all of these comments... Aug 25, company asked employees to post positive comments. It's SO obvious. Thin skinned. What are there - 25 comments, made while employees were on the clock?

Face reality. Management is not good. Too much turnover from employees to Directors and VPs.

Marginal

I worked at ZeOmega full-time

Pros

Talented and resourceful work force, opportunities for growth, product is highly perceived in the managed care space

Cons

Very long hours for certain positions, time zone differences working w/ India can be painful for US employees, high turnover in senior management indicates issues, customers are oftentimes not treated with the proper respect

Survey employees in an anonymous fashion to understand morale and to ascertain what the real issues are. Recommend skip-level meetings to avoid the news getting rosier as it moves upward through the management ranks. Try to avoid group think and encourage employees to speak up without fear of retribution

Puhleaz

Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I worked at ZeOmega full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location, most co-workers that are left and market base

Cons

Exactly what others are describing in this forum...tyrannical CEO who believes himself as having no faults and his side kick who is trying to mitigate a lot of other reviews...look at the trend dashboard on the forum, any one can see through the ploy. Must be time to ask for more investor dollars?

This Place deserves ZERO Stars

I worked at ZeOmega full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

there are some nice people to work with

Cons

Management totally sucks here. They will openly lie on you, berate you and treat you like dogs. You are expected to work all of the time. There is no work life balance. You are always fighting fires. Please do not work here. All of the epositive reviews are probably coming from the CEO or the folks who are on work visas. The good reviews are a joke. There is an extremly high turn over. People leave for a reason. Stay far far away.

Learn how to treat people.