Zebra Technologies

Zebra Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Zebra Technologies CEO and Director Anders Gustafsson

Anders Gustafsson

Pros
  • Work Life balance was good while I was there, some WFH days were allowed(in 6 reviews)

• Friendly environment, great benefits, raise every year(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management plays favorites and if you are not in the inner circle you will never go anywhere(in 4 reviews)

• Executive management doesn't have a clue what goes on internally or in the marketplace(in 3 reviews)

Great company

ProsSmart and friendly people. Good pay and benefits

ConsSometimes feels like they are cutting too much

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people

Great first internship experience

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Vernon Hills, IL

ProsEveryone at the company was super friendly. They had the interns working on practical things and if help was needed everyone was very willing to assist. Intern events periodically and they provided a place to stay over the summer.

ConsNothing I can think of really.

Great people but the company is old school

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the loveliest people I have worked with were at Zebra and there was a great depth of engineering talent

ConsI found it to be very rigid and left-brained. Not much room for creativity. Very process oriented. This may be the way it has to be in this industry

Advice to Senior Managementdon't be so heirarchical!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It has been great!

ProsGood work and nice compensation too.

ConsVery little growth opportunities available

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

I enjoy the challenges working at Zebra

Senior Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Vernon Hills, IL

ProsWorking at Zebra is challenging, this is a good thing. You are always being challenged to use your skills and creativity to service customers. This really helps you move your career and keeps the job fun. The people at Zebra are great! Really everyone is easy to work with.

ConsConsistency and communication. We went threw some growing pains, now we need to get the information to the right people at the right time. Hmmm that sounds familiar.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more frequently and with better information sooner.

Great company with solid strategy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSolid returns to investors, good strategy. Top engineering group with a clear vision of the future. Seen a marked improvement in aligning the executive team and leadership team.

ConsGetting political.If you are "in" with the right people, you'll go far. Culture could use a reboot -- they are working on it but not all the leadership is on the same page.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at some of your leadership team and how they treat employees.

Strong Company with great integrity, management and co-workers. Experience has been great over the 9 years.

Inside Channel Account Manager (Current Employee) Vernon Hills, IL

ProsCo-workers are great to work with. Management is very positive and has integrity. Good pay and room for growth.

ConsIndustry seems to be going through a possible shift given the technology so extended future is a little uncertain.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the employees are happy and ensure they are trained and aware of the company's future goals.

Well established company with talented, but overworked people.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Vernon Hills, IL

ProsThe organization is full of talented people who want to do good work. Zebra is financially stable, offers competitive pay and benefits and routinely pays out against the management bonus.

ConsWhile a mature organization, Zebra still behaves very much like a start up company with an almost exclusive emphasis on "making the quarter". The organization continues to cut jobs under the veil of "right sizing" to preserve historically very healthy margins. Performance objectives are nearly always individual in nature resulting in pockets of improvement, but not systemic improvement. Goal setting and accountability needs to be adjusted to emphasize complete solutions and working together.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart working with investor relations and PR to realistically adjust expectations of shareholders and analysts to more appropriately align with Zebra's level of maturity in North America. You cannot continue to cut jobs to preserve margins which are no longer realistic. People are overworked. While they have previously risen to the challenge, signs of disengagement are beginning to creep in. There is a sense that job cuts are never ending and that senior management expectations of what a very lean staff can achieve are unrealistic. The organization will not survive without the energy and talents of the people that make it up. A longer term view needs to be adopted.

Zebra is a good company to work

Product Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPretty well run, professional, leader in its markets

ConsStill struggling to figure out how to grow more, too engineering driven, a bit top heavy maybe.

Product Management Directors at Zebra are highly valued

Director of Product Management (Current Employee)

ProsZebra PM positions are global and valued employees travel the globe to identify customer requirements.

ConsBureaucracy has crept into Zebra as it approached the 1B$ plateau. You must be willing to engage in politics to play.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful to value your longtime employees. Don't always trust opinions from those that came from companies that enjoyed much lower margins.....they don't know our business better than we do.

Worked for Zebra Technologies? Contribute to the Community!