Zeeco Reviews

Darton Zink

1. Great company

Current Employee - Combustion Engineering in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Combustion Engineering in Houston, TX

I have been working at Zeeco

Pros

The pay was great along with the co workers.

Cons

The hours were harsh, but not if you were in management.

Advice to Management

Needs improvement

2. Growing Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broken Arrow, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broken Arrow, OK

I have been working at Zeeco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great set of co-workers. The friends I have made will last a lifetime. Engineers get real world experience very quickly with both domestic and international travel.

Cons

Company has gone from mom and pop company to corporation very quickly. With that, there have been a lot of growing pains. New policies do not get enforced across all divisions. Little to no advancement or continuing education opportunities available.

Advice to Management

All management needs to go through multi generational managers training. Standards need to be put in place and followed, not just utilized when it is convenient. All employees need continuing education.

3. Not Quite

I worked at Zeeco as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly/Fun Culture, Great Benefits/Pay, Office and Field Work Possibilities, International Opportunities are cool and beneficial

Cons

Poor Feedback, Poor Structure, Poor Training Program, Only the top people in the company actually know what's going on

Advice to Management

Do not hire a ton of interns to have them scratching for work all summer and sitting on their hands for the rest of the summer. Also, any formal training would have been great, especially the test facility. No one is taught combustion engineering in school. I would chalk a lot of these mistakes as things that worked as a small company but do not work as a large company.

5. Zeeco Review

Former Intern - IT Intern in Tulsa, OK
    Former Intern - IT Intern in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Zeeco as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

very cool place, no tension if you like your work

Cons

in broken arrow, not a good place to hang out

6. Fantastic Place to work

I have been working at Zeeco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Upbeat, busy, and great staff. People are always helpful and accommodating.
    Very rich benefit plan, best benefits I have ever received.
    Management recognizes there are issues and is working hard to make improvements.
    Great HR department. I have never worked at a company with such a helpful, customer service oriented, and friendly HR department.

Cons

Not enough time in the day to accomplish the super busy work schedule. Clock watchers will not succeed at Zeeco. It takes a special kind of person who enjoys a busy work day, lots of hours, to be successful here.

Advice to Management

Keep working on recognizing and improving the little things that make it difficult at times.

7. Room for improvement

I worked at Zeeco as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

International travel opportunities are great, coworkers are generally great people, and pay is good. Actual projects for interns to work on and people go out of their way to help out.

Cons

Feedback is nearly nonexistent, positive or negative, and lack of training for interns was disappointing. You are unable to relax while at work, constantly paranoid that someone might see you taking even the smallest break. Also, the macho man attitude in the test facility is just pathetic.

Advice to Management

Work on fostering a more positive workplace.

8. great ownership, great benefits

Former Employee - The Go-to Person, Especially In Frustrating Times in Broken Arrow, OK

I worked at Zeeco full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The sole owner takes care of his employees from beyond benefits. He supports many outside events in nice places for the entire company to participate. He rewards his employees for their hard work and successes in many ways to show his appreciation. And then offers many opportunities to learn from guest speakers and endless training.

Cons

Decisions in the department structure an leadership/management was declining. Our productivity continued to decrease under new management and structural changes within job responsibilities/titles and perhaps advancements to "preferred" employees led to this outcome and continues to tank.
    Great management trickles down from the owner, the CEO himself so hopefully it will be obvious soon enough that rather than taking responsibility dealing with issues presented to new management, that fingers are continuously pointed elsewhere. That doesn't help any one. A childish, "It wasn't me", "I didn't do that", "it must be his/her mistake that caused this to occur" attitude I could not tolerate and it showed.

Advice to Management

Take a look up. Review the numbers. As demands continue to increase we have always been successful but now productivity has severely decreased. Note the date when this started to happen and what changes occurred simultaneously. Then look for yourself to see if productivity since new management has remained the same, increased or decreased. Also look for the one pointing the finger to whomever is the most convenient and an easy target. When one comes in to a new company to manage an entire department of successful individuals-now showing decline in productivity and morale- without learning its current policies and procedures before implementing new ones, moves jobs around, scrambles job duties and refuses to listen to possible solutions to new issues is truly arrogant and will continue to fail. A know-it-all attitude gets you nowhere Ms. "It's their fault" Manager.

9. The test facility ruined my experience with this company.

Current Intern - Combustion Engineering in Broken Arrow, OK
    Current Intern - Combustion Engineering in Broken Arrow, OK

I have been working at Zeeco as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

The company culture was wonderful in the office, and you felt like a team. The projects that interns worked on were actual projects that were needed by the company. Lots of great intern events like a float trip and an international trip.

Cons

My main challenge was working in the test facility with equipment I had not used before and was treated like an idiot if I did not know the answer or know how to do something right away. I was unable to learn from the people who I was largely supposed to be working with for the summer. Communication was lacking and people were mainly only looking to benefit themselves.

Advice to Management

Teach communication to staff and don't let the test facility ruin interns summer.

10. Project Manager in Process Burners Group

Former Employee - Project Manager in Broken Arrow, OK
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Broken Arrow, OK

I worked at Zeeco full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Small local company. Good people.

Cons

Poor management. Lack of advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Speak your mind, don't expect people to read your minds.

Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Broken Arrow, OK
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Broken Arrow, OK

I worked at Zeeco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative team effort to resolve problems / issues. If something goes wrong, they don't look for the person to messed up -- they look for a solution to the problem.

Fun, supportive environment.

Willing to train you early in your employment.

International travel. If you want to see the world, this is a great place to work!

Cons

Not willing to train you later in your employment. They expect you to learn this stuff on your own, and don't give you a raise because you don't know the things they never educated you about.

They say things like, "We don't spend money on fancy things like fountains in the lobby, and we don't drive fancy cars." But then they do exactly the things they say they don't -- they spend massive amounts of money on silly things, but then say they can't afford to give their people a raise!

Absolutely terrible parking situation. Zeeco is situated on roughly 280 acres, but there is not adequate parking, and employees are not allowed to park on the grass. My car received door dings and paint chips on the BACK of the car (from lawn mowers kicking up rocks) on a daily basis.

No windows in the building -- I'm not sure why... Maybe a security issue? It is strange to get to work in the winter before sunrise, and then leave the building at 6:00 PM and it's pitch black dark outside.

They like to hire people who just graduated from college, and promote them quickly. This is great if your are a recent college graduate -- but if you are a little older and looking to further your career, you will not go anywhere at Zeeco.

I could be wrong, but I firmly believe most people who are promoted are from the same OSU Fraternity as Darton Zink.

Advice to Management

Don't promote a recent college graduate with less than 1-year of work experience to be the boss of employees with 20-40 years of experience. I never told anyone, but this is the real reason I left Zeeco.

Darton -- You are a charismatic leader, but your money tends to separate you from the people who look up to you. Please try to remember to treat everyone as equals, including the older engineers who desperately want to impress you. Don't focus on hiring / promoting your fraternity brothers -- be fair to everyone who deserves a promotion.