Zellers

Be The First To
Add Photos

Zellers President and CEO A. Mark Foote

A. Mark Foote

Pros:
  • "Average benefits, flexible schedule, did not force relocation, employee discount, float day for your birthday, Decent wage, Great people to work with"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great team of staff and management, including corporate executives"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "In order to recieve a discount, all employees must use hbc credit card"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Credit blend and credit card referrals are the only thing management cares about"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Bad min wage job

I have been working at Zellers

ProsThe other cashiers, nothing else

Consconstant pressure to sell credit cards, no trust in employess, treating everyone like they are in 4th grade, management not being around or caring, crappy customers the list goes on

Advice to Senior ManagementMANAGE

Restaurant Supervisor

Supervisor (Former Employee)
Richmond, BC (Canada)

I worked at Zellers full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe best part about working at Zellers was the customers and staff.

ConsWage increases were minimal if any, they always seemed to find reasons not to give raises. Store managers treated staff very poorly.
They expected supervisors to put in long days since they were on salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice since they are now closed.
And we all wonder why the store closed.......

Not a good experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Sherwood Park, AB (Canada)

I worked at Zellers

ProsThere is a decent staff discount and a lot of the people who work there are great. Unfortunately not many of them are management.

ConsThe store manager is great and well liked. The department managers however, are for the most part, unprofessional and lazy. Employees are not treated with respect and often belittled in public (ie. the restaurant) or in front of other employees. Gossip is a huge problem.

very dissapointed to see zellers gone

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Zellers

Proszellers was a great place to work, loved the hours, loved the co workers, and pretty good pay.

Consa heavy work load on little hours,not enough hours to keep the family fed.

Advice to Senior Managementyou need to put your heart and soul in to your job. you need to believe in your store and treat everybody like they are your family. a good team makes the ship sail smooth.

I wasn't treated with very much respect by the supervisors or managers.

Checkout Associate (Former Employee)
Kelowna, BC (Canada)

I worked at Zellers

ProsMight be an ok job for a teenager living at home Not good for someone who must support a family

ConsNot enough hours verylow pay no sickpay not flexible for single moms Unprofessional supervisors Unpredictable schedule Aggressively advertise zellerscreditcard

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a living wage Provide fulltime work Paid sickdays Be flexible for families Allow cashiers to use restroom when needed

Working here has shown me a new level of just how uncaring employers can be.

Saint Catharines, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Zellers

ProsThere aren't alot of pros. I enjoy the people I work with but that's it. My particular supervisor is understanding but the senior staff seems to really not care about it's employees.

ConsDiscounts are now being taken away, if you want your discount you must use a hbc credit card. Seniority is not based on how long you've worked there but your availability. I told them I wasn't able to work Sundays due to no babysitting available for my kids and was told that my seniority would slip below those employees that just started. Their sick policy stinks. Apparently you are only allowed to be sick 3 times a year. After 10 you get a letter which is standard but after that letter I was away for 2 days and got a 2 written warning. During which time i was working with a fractured collarbone.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps truly caring about your employees would be a start. There is more to business than credit blends and how many credit referrals you receive. By making your employees feel like they don't matter, eventually, you will be filling out those referrals yourselves, and wondering where all the staff went.

Zellers - not close to the best

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Zellers

ProsThere are friendly people working there. That seems to be the only pro I can think of. If you're looking to be something as simple as a cashier they'll offer you all the hours in the world, because they need those. It's easy to get a job there.

ConsThere's really no room for improvement. It isn't managed as well as it could be. People were promised positions they never got. They seem to randomly take away your hours when they're "done" with you after the busy season. Days can seem very long. There is a lot of stress involved in dealing with angry customers. Pay isn't anything special as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementDuring orientation when you promise an employee a position, make sure you actually give it to them rather than using them to plug holes elsewhere until they forget about it. Encourage more positive reinforcement between supervisors/managers and regular employees. Offer more incentive to want to be part of that workplace that can be very busy and stressful and doesn't seem to offer much upside other than the fact that it might be easy to get the job.

As for the store itself, there are a lot of times where it seems like it isn't sure what kind of store it wants to be. If you're going to run a discount store than do that, if not then don't. There seems to be no identity like places like Walmart have.

Zellers was a mediocre workplace

Customer Service Steward (Former Employee)
Kingston, ON (Canada)

I worked at Zellers part-time for more than 5 years

ProsMost of the people are great to work with.

ConsManagement is lacking in areas. Safety was lacking in many departments, especially the back stock rooms and basement stock room.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a more positive outlook about the company.
Have more patience with younger employees.
Have more respect for the employees working for you.

A poor work experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Zellers full-time

ProsCo-workers were friendly, team environment was the only thing good about working for this company.

ConsPoor management on all levels lead to a demeaning work experience and caused extremely high turnover in the organization. Eventually Zellers went out of business.

Pretty good for a starting job

Fashion Associate (Former Employee)
Moncton, NB (Canada)

I worked at Zellers part-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get to work with many different people and have a wide customer base.

ConsStrict dress code
Not a able to talk with other workers while on the floor
No staff discount

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have two workers that will work well together then I feel like they should be able to work together.

Worked for Zellers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zellers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Zellers CEO A. Mark Foote. All 81 reviews posted anonymously by Zellers employees.