Zellers Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Okay Experience

I worked at Zellers (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Management is understanding so that helps.

Cons

1. Low pay. Could get paid more elsewhere.

2. good experience

Former Employee - Cashier in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I worked at Zellers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

enjoyed working with my co workers, not a far commute to my work from home

Cons

the pay was low, would have to put in for time off couple months in advance

Advice to Management

nothing

3. Glad to see them bite the dust.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Zellers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Working overnights meant I didn't have to deal with customers -Was able to work independently -Relatively quiet and peaceful

Cons

It's a minimum wage job, and in terms of workers, Zellers got exactly what they paid for. Most of the daytime workers consisted of snotty cliquey teenagers or bickering middle aged women who felt threatened anytime they felt you encroached on their territory a little too much. My immediate supervisor was a miserable wench who would roll her eyes anytime you dared ask her a question. Absolutely no training from supervisors and those who were seasoned employees were bitter and downright unfriendly out of fear that you might do their job better than them. Hate to break it to you, but if you're over the age of 29 and still working a minimum wage job, you're in no position to be that nasty to anyone. They became even nastier once they found out I was a student, since they're jealous of anyone with ambition and an IQ over 75. I hope they're all languishing in whatever minimum wage job they're stuck in.

5. MMT Group

Former Employee - Merchandise Movement Team Associate (Mmt) in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at Zellers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

fun and easy going workers.

Cons

Horrible Manager who no one liked.

Advice to Management

It was nice working for you guys.

6. Former Employee.

Pros

In the beginning, things were good. Employees, work conditions, hours, etc., I actually looked forward to going into work. Lots of variety.

Cons

Towards the end, things went downhill especially after the acquisition. The atmosphere changed, and it wasn't as pleasant anymore. There was quite a bit of arrogance.

7. Store Associate

Pros

Flex Scheduling, room for growth

Cons

Overall long hours, not enough hours for part-time associates, on occasion not scheduled for weeks at a time

8. Working at Zellers

Former Employee - Sales and Service Fashion Associate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales and Service Fashion Associate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Zellers part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were great.

Cons

Supervisors who didn't care about their staff, the customers were the rudest I've ever met.

Advice to Management

The company closed down, I'm sure that says a lot.

9. Work/Life Balance Non Existant

Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Zellers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're lucky you work with a good team. Head office HR staff are great. Flexible shifts are great.

Cons

Low pay compared with the amount of work that is expected of you. Not a lot of opportunity for growth. No follow up/through on training programs. Very disorganized. Expected to work until late at night and be back super early the next day. Expected to work at least 12 hours a day. Frowned upon for taking breaks.

Advice to Management

Consider paying what people deserve, not how low you can go. Offer training that is organized and helpful. Allow people a work life balance without making them feel guilty for leaving the store or taking vacation.

10. A basic part time job

Former Employee - Cashier in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at Zellers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours for part time students

Cons

a small time compared to other stores

11. Good place to work as a first or part-time job.

Former Employee - Cashier in Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

I worked at Zellers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned much of the basics of cash handling and customer service, especially when it came to distinguishing different products the store had to offer. Hours were pretty flexible and the punch in, punch out time stamp system ensured your pay was calculated based on the hours you were actually in the store. Management was strict but would also provide much needed help when necessary. I thought the training process was thorough and prepared me well for the situations that I came across while working on the job.

Cons

No perks for part-time employees, or at least very few that I remember. Big part of the job was MasterCard sales and having to meet your sales quotas per week. Not only did you have to sell cards, you also had to make sure a certain percentage of your transactions were made using the HBC specific Mastercard. Anything less than that and you were given quite a disapproving look. Also, I found that the system was never update with the latest promotions and discounts that were happening at the time.

RSS Feed </> Embed