Zellers Reviews

Updated February 16, 2015
97 reviews filtered by

1. Good Company to work for

Current Contractor - Buyer Assistant in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Current Contractor - Buyer Assistant in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Zellers as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

HBC is a great company to work for because there is a lot of room to grow,learn and move up, if you are serious about your career and show it through your work. The people are friendly and you get a lot of opportunities to get involved in a hands on way, rather then just sitting behind a computer all day. Flex hours are amazing!!

Cons

No benefits if you are on contract, but this is the norm for most places.

2. My experience was great, fun and challenging at times

Former Employee - Cashier in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Zellers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with a very amazing team. They were very caring, supporting, and fun.
    Most of the customers were very kind, patient and understanding to the fact that we were closing.

Cons

Their were some very rude customers. The wavering amount of hours given. Some of the systems were old school, therefore we had many technical problems with the cash register.
    Being short staffed at times when its rush hour.

3. Good experience for students

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, ON (Canada)

I worked at Zellers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- People were great to work with
    - Good work/life balance (I was part-time)
    - You learn necessary soft skills (problem-solving, teamwork, communication, etc.)
    - The store wasn't busy to the point where everything was in chaos (aka things were handled pretty well)

Cons

- Some co-workers were lazy
    - Promised to get trained on cash but the training itself was quite sloppy
    - Understaffing occurred frequently

Advice to Management

Thanks for the great opportunity

5. Very interesting. Very confusing.

Former Employee - Warehouse/Sales Floor Team Member in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Warehouse/Sales Floor Team Member in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Zellers part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The employees. it was truly like a family experience for me.

Cons

The lake if work ethics.

Advice to Management

A good leader, leads by example.'

6. Good Ideas, Horrible Execution

Former Employee - Senior Fashion Associate in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Fashion Associate in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I worked at Zellers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Canadian company. Olympic wear (when it had it). I was also lucky and because I worked hard I had a lot of freedom to do what I want as far a merchandizing because I always wanted my areas to look really nice.

Cons

Zellers went through many different corporate changes over the 3 years I worked there, each time there were efforts to make it better, bring in new products but each time it failed. Zellers started off bad, when it came in the products were very cheap but when I worked there I would say there were many quality products and interesting brands especially with apparel. The problem was the logistics were so bad, to many products came it, stock room was a mess and the floor was over crowded. There was never enough staff to keep the place nice looking. All potential to improve reputation and appearance was busted but being understaffed and not changing things where it mattered.

Advice to Management

Consistency, if you have a good idea it needs to be executed

7. Overall very good, looked after their people after closing.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Zellers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Never a dull moment, always something new to learn, never have time to get bored. The people I worked with made the work so much more enjoyable, time would fly by every day.

Cons

Nights and weekends are not your own. Work life balance is always an issue working retail.

Advice to Management

Thanks for your support over the years. I enjoyed working here very much.

8. Cashier, overall experience neutral

Former Employee - Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Zellers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Able to gain valuable experience, supportive staff, good for a first time job

Cons

Hours not flexible, and often performed tasks under extreme stress due to constant pressure from management to sell HBC credit cards

Advice to Management

Provide more flexible hours, and a little more leniency when pushing staff towards selling credit cards

9. Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Zellers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers to work with

Cons

Bad management
    Poor hours, too many call ins on short notice

Advice to Management

Don't expect employees to be able to to do something you can't even explain well yourselves.

10. More concerned with making money than they were with store morale

I have been working at Zellers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers were fantastic and really the only reason why people stayed in the minimum wage jobs they were in. Easy hours/ pay if you were a favorite to management and not much was expected from the part time associates and didn't have to deal with problems. It was fun to see new products come in & change layouts. Store discount when you start (was later changed to only if you used your expensive company credit card so pretty much no one used the discounts anymore).

Cons

Used to be great but wasn't surprised to see it go.. There was a lot of favortism and inequality of hours/ job requirements/ pay wages. Also communication was lacking as to what was expected from the head office to the stores and from the managers/supervisors to the associates. Heavy work loads and changing deadlines and too much turnover. Expected to do the jobs of at least 3 people while the supervisors/ managers relaxed on their "meeting" breaks in the restaurant. If certain employees were constant no shows on their shifts, others would be expected to cover their jobs as well.. some didnt show up as they figured the job was "beneath them" and werent team players. At times there was never a supervisor on the floor to get help from cause they felt it wasn't their jobs. Managers seemed more concerned with presenting a false, profitable picture when the company presidents would come in than in actually fixing the store problems (we were told not to talk to the headoffice people if they asked about the store morale and to basically lie and tell them how happy we were). A lot of hiding of the store flaws when they could've been addressed. Would like to think that HQ had no idea how the stores were being operated as morale was quite low. Management would let customers be rude and walk all over their employees if it meant a sale (witnessed a customer throw a blender at a cashier and nothing was done about it, the customer was given a gift card to come back!) No support from management. Was not a surprise to see it fold.

Advice to Management

If you had taken the time to listen to the employees/customers and support them rather than the bottom line, the company would still be in business

11. Pretty good for a starting job

Former Employee - Fashion Associate in Moncton, NB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Fashion Associate in Moncton, NB (Canada)

I worked at Zellers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with many different people and have a wide customer base.

Cons

Strict dress code
    Not a able to talk with other workers while on the floor
    No staff discount

Advice to Management

If you have two workers that will work well together then I feel like they should be able to work together.

Zellers Photos