Zen Internet Reviews

3.3
Richard Tang

1. Great place to work

I worked at Zen Internet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quality of is people, without whom the business would not be as strong as it is (across the business a real focus on providing great service has ensured continued winning of awards and sector leading reviews on Trust Pilot)

There are a lot of opportunities for people to grow & develop skills across the business.

Open door policy from most managers; being on one site allows good collaboration.

Still manages to retain a small company ethos. Recent changes to introduce divisions in the business will be a good thing as it allows better focus on specific customer segments - with the changes in the industry at the moment this focus is essential to allow Zen to continue its growth.

Cons

Few downsides (as long as the focus on its people continues). Pay is average but not great in some areas

Advice to Management

Look after your people. There has been a lot of movement recently. Some of this is due to natural attrition but some has been down to neglecting the people site in certain departments

Problems with culture and management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochdale, England (UK)

I worked at Zen Internet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lack of pressure to deliver - means that there is no stress if you miss deadlines.
    Two pay reviews a year. More than likely to get 1.5% each time so over 3% per annum.
    Reasonable wages if you come in externally. Internal promotions tend to get little reward.

Cons

Lack of pressure to deliver - things take an age to get done.
    The Zen culture grew from when the company was small. It was never properly addressed at the start and so has got out of hand. There are small efforts to change but the people doing it generally want to raise their status (middle management), have little real experience and so come up with solutions that are worse then the problems they aim to fix.
    Senior management seems to be recruited on some notion of what is a proper manager in a large organisation. However, being a small ISP it could do with more driven managers instead of dreary grey yes men.
    Bonus is low and not percentage based.

Advice to Management

Try to recruit some people outside of your comfort zone. Too much similarity in the senior management team. Lots of nodding dogs without much in the way of drive.

3. Great Company

I have been working at Zen Internet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Zen's a great place to work, yes there's been some negative reviews on here, but to be honest those giving the negative reviews probably needed to move on.

Zen's been through some changes, but that's to be expected as the company grows and it's hard to retain the same values that Zen had as a small business, however Richard and Zen are trying to do this, and with a certain degree of success.

The nonsense about Zen struggling and not being around for much longer is the biggest load of BS, half yearly figures show significant growth. Zen's actually made more profit YTD than the whole of last year; struggling business I think not!

Yes, Zen will never set the world on fire with huge profits, but that's never been Richard's goal, it's all about re-investing back into the company and our customers.

Cons

Processes need updating, but the great thing is you can effect changes, doors to management are open and people will listen to ideas, especially now some of necessary dead wood has been cut.

No commission for Sales can viewed as a bad thing, but it does mean sales are focussed on customer needs rather than their own commission cheque at the end of the month. No commission is unique to the market, but well received by customers as they know and appreciate the sales team are acting in their best interests, so in this instance it's probably playing into Zen's hands that the Sales team don't get commission.

Advice to Management

Look after the staff you've got, there's some excellent people who maybe need to feel a bit more appreciated. Let's look to recruit from within before going to market.

5. Great place to work - you get out what you put in

I worked at Zen Internet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I wasn't planning on writing this review, but it seems that some of the bad eggs who I used to work with have taken to this site to air their grievances (which they never bothered to do while they were at the company)

There are lots of opportunities if you drive yourself to find them - I had 3 different roles in my time here and none of them were handed to me on a plate. Feel stifled in your role? Do something about it.

People are welcoming and there is a genuine culture of support

Willing to do things differently - not happy continuing to be the 'old Zen'. People seem to forget it's a technology company. If you don't evolve you get left behind.

Salary reviews - I don't have them any more where I am now. You definitely take them for granted!!

Cons

Look at how managers are implementing the salary review process. It's great having 2 reviews a year, but some managers simply default to the standard percentage across the board. Make sure good performers are *really* recognised.

Sometimes those who moan for the sake of it can bring morale down

Advice to Management

Don't tolerate those negative people who I've mentioned above.

Brilliant

I worked at Zen Internet full-time

Pros

Fantastic company I miss working here
    Great staff
    Friendly environment

Cons

that I ever left to go to the other job I didnt last in

Advice to Management

keep up the great work

7. "I would recommend a job here to my closest family members."

Former Employee - Business Sales Exec
    Former Employee - Business Sales Exec

I worked at Zen Internet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having just stumbled across Glassdoor, I immediately searched for my previous workplace fully expecting this place to be awash with positive reviews. Sad to see that's not the case.

I'm regularly in contact with ex colleagues who are still employed by Zen, and still none have a bad word to say about the place.

I am now the director of a technology business and positively refer to my past experiences at Zen almost daily (much to the disdain of my staff, surely!). For me, the place really set the benchmark for how a business should:

1. Treat their staff
    2. Treat their customers

My training was excellent. Kudos to Phil Harris (hope he's still there), a fantastic teacher who (with hindsight) was so influential in my career to this day. His help ensured I hit the ground running at Zen, despite my lack of previous experience.

The guys I worked with for 4 years were brilliant. We were like family and since my exit I don't believe any of them have moved on, and I don't blame them. There have been tough days over the years where I would have loved nothing more than to be back at Zen. It's a beautiful place to work.

I would recommend a job here to my closest family.

In every business there are lazy, bitter employees, Zen's no different. Those who expect promotion and money to be given to them on a plate are the first to write a negative review instead of actually being a fair, decent. loyal employee and dealing with such things internally.

Cons

I left because Zen was such a lovely place to work, I realised that the longer I stayed the harder it would be to ever leave. I wanted different experiences.

What's wrong with it? They often recruited externally when the perfect candidate may have been internally right under their nose. A few too many plodders, happy to coast at Zen for the rest of their days, leaching off Zen's good nature.

Other than that, nothing.

Advice to Management

Retain the best values from the past.

Ticking time bomb...

I have been working at Zen Internet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent canteen, some good genuine people trying to keep it all together. Surf the Internet all day at your lesuire you'll never be pulled up, great for networking and job searches...

Cons

Wet managers straight from education with no life experience and hastely recruited senior staff who re invent their roles every 12 months in order to avoid being rumbled as being out of their depth. "Zen time" apparently this is similar to actual time however it seems to run around 100x slower.

Advice to Management

You've literally got around 100 plus too many staff in roles that are not actually required. Is it any wonder you're in such trouble? Stop recruiting idiots for pitty sake.

You get out of Zen as much as you put in - it's a shame some of the bad reviewers just sat back and took their pay home

I have been working at Zen Internet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Laid back attitude
    Recent Restructure
    Twice annual performance/ salary review
    Christmas bonus & party
    Secure & Free parking
    Friendly atmosphere

Cons

It's so laid back it's horizontal at times

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you've been doing, get rid of the last few remaining bits of dead wood & the good ship Zen will continue to sail on course.

Not bad - just a frustrating place to work by the end

I worked at Zen Internet

Pros

Good on-site facilities, plenty of parking
    Friendly, sociable place to work
    Big enough to support people to move between departments
    Easy-going and laid back. If you're happy to just get your head down, turn up for work and take your wage you might love it

Cons

If you have some ambition you probably won't fulfil it here. The flip side of it being laid back is that if you put in 100% you'll get rewarded as much as the people putting in 30%. I've seen recent comments about lazy people here - but that's because they're allowed to coast.The appraisal process needs a serious overhaul.

Too few internal promotions - I saw very few in almost 7 years. Little recognition of peoples skills and saw too many good people go. Zen preferred to bring in external candidates which would be fine except that they were often poor/a bad fit (or both)

Little evidence of staff being developed

Senior management reduced to yes-men to the MD

Too much talk and not enough action about getting stuff done. A business that's struggled to make the change to being a big company

Advice to Management

Be clear on a direction and don't try to be all things to all customers. If you're going to bring in senior managers from outside, bring in good ones and trust them

11. A Current Employee (and one who still likes it - It's not all doom and gloom here as some posts may have you think)

I have been working at Zen Internet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

To begin with I want to put that at the time of writing this, I am an Active Zen Employee and I have been working here for 8 years (not long enough to say I’m fully “Old School” but I feel I’ve been here long enough to go through some of the changes that Zen has gone through).

I work in one of the Operations teams (so I’m not an engineer or someone at the core of Zen’s networks). I have had 4 roles since I started at Zen and feel I have always been supported in my career development. I wanted to progress and develop myself, and I feel I have had the help needed with this. Yes, not all of the training and learning has come from within Zen directly (i.e. I have undertaken things myself outside of work), but I have been able to learn a vast array of new skills which have helped me to progress from my first role to where I am now.

The vast majority of people that I work with are great. I have seen many staff who have been here for a long time start to lose their happiness with their role. Whether this is down to their inability to progress roles (either through lack of positions or lack of ownership over their own development), or if it has been down to not liking changes that have happened within the company. I am a believer that I will stay with a company whilst I am happy – and I’m still here! I believe that a lot of people who were not happy will leave and it does seem that a lot of reviews on here have the same complaints (which from a guess I’d say are from similar areas of the company). That said, I work with a lot of people who do like their job. Obviously I don’t speak for everyone, but there are some of us here that still like it!

Cons

I can only speak for my own experiences with Zen and obviously I can’t sell you the whole picture. My own experiences don’t echo those of everyone.

Career Progression: Although opportunities for development are here, there are not always guaranteed positions for you if you have been working on moving up in your career. I have seen multiple occasions where someone has not been promoted from within because the decision was made to take on an external candidate (on a few of those occasions you could tell the internal candidate would have been 100% better than the person actually hired). I am a believer though that the managers will hire whoever they believe to be right for the role and will do what is best for the company. And yes, sometimes this means that people will not get promoted internally.

Lazy Staff: As will all companies, there are quite a few lazy people here that will try do as little work as possible. I have faith though that they will eventually get what’s due! I don’t think there is any company out there where you won’t find some slackers. News flash – it happens! It’s down to the managers to manage their staff & sort these sorts of behaviours out.

Advice to Management

Deal with those lazy staff

Listen to the feedback from your teams. If they are complaining –why are they complaining? We know there is no smoke without fire!

RSS Feed </> Embed