Zen Internet Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Richard Tang

1. Proud to work for an independent and innovative company.

I have been working at Zen Internet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity and despite lots of change it continues to maintain a great and true culture, largely thanks to a great MD. Huge potential for the future as an independent company vs many larger corporate competitors.

Cons

If you want things laid on a plate for your then look elsewhere. Change, which Zen has been through a lot of over the last 6 months, is often perceived as a bad thing but it's an essential part of a great company growing.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on understanding the great culture and ensure those around you invest and embody it.

2. Great place to work

I worked at Zen Internet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quality of is people, without whom the business would not be as strong as it is (across the business a real focus on providing great service has ensured continued winning of awards and sector leading reviews on Trust Pilot) There are a lot of opportunities for people to grow & develop skills across the business. Open door policy from most managers; being on one site allows good collaboration. Still manages to retain a small company ethos. Recent changes to introduce divisions in the business will be a good thing as it allows better focus on specific customer segments - with the changes in the industry at the moment this focus is essential to allow Zen to continue its growth.

Cons

Few downsides (as long as the focus on its people continues). Pay is average but not great in some areas

Advice to Management

Look after your people. There has been a lot of movement recently. Some of this is due to natural attrition but some has been down to neglecting the people site in certain departments

Worst Experience of my life

I worked at Zen Internet (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can wear what you want free internet (totally over priced and as soon as I left, I switched to a better, cheaper competitor) come and go as you feel like it (well, if you are a manager) free car parking

Cons

I joined Zen thinking it was part of the "it" crowd. How very wrong I was. My manager was wet behind the ears and clearly didn't have any other experience of working life outside of Zen (as of most managers). If your face (or in the case of the credit and billing manager - your mouth) fits, then sit back and enjoy a cushy life. If your face doesn't fit, then you will be dumped on from a great height, made to believe you are worthless and will end up feeling physically sick with dread having to report into work every day. The expenses policy is a joke - woe betide you buying chocolate sprinkles on your hot chocolate - purchase ledger and payroll will ring you, scream and shout at you and remove the extra 20p or so from your expenses claim (chocolate is a luxury - the fact that you have been staring at tarmac for 300 miles, trying to keep the penny pinchers in a job is swept aside). You will also have to explain why your journey of an additional 4 miles resulted in an extra £1 increased expenses claim even though (in my case) you just landed a corporate deal that keeps the food in the fridge of these small minded people. As for promotion, forget it. You will be passed over for external candidates. Zen are not a people company. They are out of their depth and as soon as I could get out, I did. Steer clear. Biggest mistake of my life.

Advice to Management

what management????

Problems with culture and management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochdale, England (UK)

I worked at Zen Internet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lack of pressure to deliver - means that there is no stress if you miss deadlines. Two pay reviews a year. More than likely to get 1.5% each time so over 3% per annum. Reasonable wages if you come in externally. Internal promotions tend to get little reward.

Cons

Lack of pressure to deliver - things take an age to get done. The Zen culture grew from when the company was small. It was never properly addressed at the start and so has got out of hand. There are small efforts to change but the people doing it generally want to raise their status (middle management), have little real experience and so come up with solutions that are worse then the problems they aim to fix. Senior management seems to be recruited on some notion of what is a proper manager in a large organisation. However, being a small ISP it could do with more driven managers instead of dreary grey yes men. Bonus is low and not percentage based.

Advice to Management

Try to recruit some people outside of your comfort zone. Too much similarity in the senior management team. Lots of nodding dogs without much in the way of drive.

6. Great Company

I have been working at Zen Internet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Zen's a great place to work, yes there's been some negative reviews on here, but to be honest those giving the negative reviews probably needed to move on. Zen's been through some changes, but that's to be expected as the company grows and it's hard to retain the same values that Zen had as a small business, however Richard and Zen are trying to do this, and with a certain degree of success. The nonsense about Zen struggling and not being around for much longer is the biggest load of BS, half yearly figures show significant growth. Zen's actually made more profit YTD than the whole of last year; struggling business I think not! Yes, Zen will never set the world on fire with huge profits, but that's never been Richard's goal, it's all about re-investing back into the company and our customers.

Cons

Processes need updating, but the great thing is you can effect changes, doors to management are open and people will listen to ideas, especially now some of necessary dead wood has been cut. No commission for Sales can viewed as a bad thing, but it does mean sales are focussed on customer needs rather than their own commission cheque at the end of the month. No commission is unique to the market, but well received by customers as they know and appreciate the sales team are acting in their best interests, so in this instance it's probably playing into Zen's hands that the Sales team don't get commission.

Advice to Management

Look after the staff you've got, there's some excellent people who maybe need to feel a bit more appreciated. Let's look to recruit from within before going to market.

Great place to work - you get out what you put in

I worked at Zen Internet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I wasn't planning on writing this review, but it seems that some of the bad eggs who I used to work with have taken to this site to air their grievances (which they never bothered to do while they were at the company) There are lots of opportunities if you drive yourself to find them - I had 3 different roles in my time here and none of them were handed to me on a plate. Feel stifled in your role? Do something about it. People are welcoming and there is a genuine culture of support Willing to do things differently - not happy continuing to be the 'old Zen'. People seem to forget it's a technology company. If you don't evolve you get left behind. Salary reviews - I don't have them any more where I am now. You definitely take them for granted!!

Cons

Look at how managers are implementing the salary review process. It's great having 2 reviews a year, but some managers simply default to the standard percentage across the board. Make sure good performers are *really* recognised. Sometimes those who moan for the sake of it can bring morale down

Advice to Management

Don't tolerate those negative people who I've mentioned above.

Brilliant

I worked at Zen Internet full-time

Pros

Fantastic company I miss working here Great staff Friendly environment

Cons

that I ever left to go to the other job I didnt last in

Advice to Management

keep up the great work

Ticking time bomb...

I have been working at Zen Internet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent canteen, some good genuine people trying to keep it all together. Surf the Internet all day at your lesuire you'll never be pulled up, great for networking and job searches...

Cons

Wet managers straight from education with no life experience and hastely recruited senior staff who re invent their roles every 12 months in order to avoid being rumbled as being out of their depth. "Zen time" apparently this is similar to actual time however it seems to run around 100x slower.

Advice to Management

You've literally got around 100 plus too many staff in roles that are not actually required. Is it any wonder you're in such trouble? Stop recruiting idiots for pitty sake.

10. "I would recommend a job here to my closest family members."

Former Employee - Business Sales Exec
    Former Employee - Business Sales Exec

I worked at Zen Internet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having just stumbled across Glassdoor, I immediately searched for my previous workplace fully expecting this place to be awash with positive reviews. Sad to see that's not the case. I'm regularly in contact with ex colleagues who are still employed by Zen, and still none have a bad word to say about the place. I am now the director of a technology business and positively refer to my past experiences at Zen almost daily (much to the disdain of my staff, surely!). For me, the place really set the benchmark for how a business should: 1. Treat their staff 2. Treat their customers My training was excellent. Kudos to Phil Harris (hope he's still there), a fantastic teacher who (with hindsight) was so influential in my career to this day. His help ensured I hit the ground running at Zen, despite my lack of previous experience. The guys I worked with for 4 years were brilliant. We were like family and since my exit I don't believe any of them have moved on, and I don't blame them. There have been tough days over the years where I would have loved nothing more than to be back at Zen. It's a beautiful place to work. I would recommend a job here to my closest family. In every business there are lazy, bitter employees, Zen's no different. Those who expect promotion and money to be given to them on a plate are the first to write a negative review instead of actually being a fair, decent. loyal employee and dealing with such things internally.

Cons

I left because Zen was such a lovely place to work, I realised that the longer I stayed the harder it would be to ever leave. I wanted different experiences. What's wrong with it? They often recruited externally when the perfect candidate may have been internally right under their nose. A few too many plodders, happy to coast at Zen for the rest of their days, leaching off Zen's good nature. Other than that, nothing.

Advice to Management

Retain the best values from the past.

You get out of Zen as much as you put in - it's a shame some of the bad reviewers just sat back and took their pay home

I have been working at Zen Internet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Laid back attitude Recent Restructure Twice annual performance/ salary review Christmas bonus & party Secure & Free parking Friendly atmosphere

Cons

It's so laid back it's horizontal at times

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you've been doing, get rid of the last few remaining bits of dead wood & the good ship Zen will continue to sail on course.

RSS Feed </> Embed