Zen Internet Reviews in Rochdale, England

Updated October 3, 2014
2.9

Richard Tang

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Terrific atmosphere but a little too laid back

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Rochdale, England (UK)

I worked at Zen Internet full-time

Pros

The atmosphere at Zen is incredibly laid back, which comes down from the owner. There's a lack of careerists at the company (see cons) which means there's a lack of cut-throat ambition which can be destructive. People genuinely believe in the service offered to customers and want to improve it.

Cons

The laid back atmosphere does unfortunately promote a lack of ambition both for individuals and the company. If you're looking to further your career Zen is a waste of time. There is a glass ceiling to senior management, most of whom have been in their positions since the early days of the company. If you're starting off your career or looking for something less stressful I cannot recommend it enough. Pay at the entry-level is very good but poor at mid-level.

Drive your staff a little harder. You won't lose them and the company will achieve more.

Poor treatment of new staff

Former Employee - Desk Based Account Manager in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Desk Based Account Manager in Rochdale, England (UK)

I worked at Zen Internet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere.
    Safe job if you don't mind staying in your current role.
    Free fruit and coffee.
    If it's broadband you want you won't find a friendlier more helpful company.

Cons

I worked at Zen from January 2012 to June 2014. I am a very experienced professional in my field but at Zen there is a culture of giving 'jobs to the boys' so that if you have been with the company over 5 years you will get the pick of the jobs, experience and skills irrelevant. If you are new (less than 5 years) chances are you'll never get out of the position you are currently in. Product Managers and senior management refuse to take advice unless you are part of the 'click' or have been there years.

Extremely two-faced management and unfortunate lack of vision.

I don't wish to knock Zen too much as I believe that they believe the culture is cool and laid back and happy. There is a strong sub-text and a lot of people I spoke to shared my feelings but didn't have the options I had in finding another job very quickly as soon as I decided Zen was not for me.

I joined because I assumed Zen would be a great place to work and progress for the remaining 10-15 years I have before I retired. I was wrong.

Listen to your staff - especially new staff. If they have skills that are of value don't ignore them or pas them over.

Great place to work and make your mark

Current Employee - Engineer in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Rochdale, England (UK)

I have been working at Zen Internet full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunities for those that are willing to put the effort in and work hard. Some really good people work here. Willing to take a chance on people who may not have the experience and also willing to develop staff into new areas.

I have never seen a company where it was possible to make suggestions for improvements and possibly get them implemented from every level of the company. Also, the company wide bonus is given to all staff, which is nice.

Cons

Because it is a good company, a lot of people stay a very long time, and this can cause people to get a little comfortable.

A lot of people take the benefits for granted - they need a wake up call.

Make sure you keep in touch with the "front liners" - don't just rely on the middle managers to find out whats going on.

What job did I apply for again?

Current Employee - Sales in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in Rochdale, England (UK)

I have been working at Zen Internet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the staff are good to get on with - but they employ far to many and its difficult to see what some people do.
    Free fruit & coffee - but you have to be quick off the mark to get any before the stampede.
    Nice offices - but beginning to feel overcrowded.

Cons

If you are ambitious... don't come to Zen Internet. Opportunities are non existent. They will go external!
    If you want a good salary... don't come to Zen Internet. No commission payable in sales !?!?!?
    If you want to progress your career... don't come to Zen Internet. The job you apply for will Inevitably not match the one you will end up doing.

That said, Zen Internet really is the easiest job you could wish for! No pressure to perform and hit targets, and no repercussions if you don't. You really could sit around and do nothing for a week - I've seen it done!

Happy staff - If you are happy to just stay in the same role and pick up a basic salary, regardless of the job you actually end up with, 9-5, you couldn't ask for a better company to work for.

Happy customers - Zen Internet are always behind their competitors, so its their customer base that suffers.

Happy suppliers - Zen Internet pay all bills on time, but have no 'weight' with their main suppliers BT & Vodafone. I'd be happy with Zen Internet as a customer - a push over.

Promising start, but too many things are wrong

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochdale, England (UK)

I worked at Zen Internet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in various different technical roles during my time at Zen starting in tech support, and generally speaking enjoyed my time there. There are a lot of issues with redundant staff (mostly managers), and quality of the systems used however.

There is opportunity to move through the company if you want to. I had three different roles within 7 years.

Reasonable priced canteen, although the food is not always the best quality. Free fruit, coffee etc.

Good place to commute to. Right on the motorway, so you don't need to journey into deepest darkest Rochdale.

Cons

There are a lot of people who managed to get paid for doing very little

The salary is a joke. 6 month reviews, although don't expect anything more than a 1.5% pay rise if you're lucky. Also no salary increase for changing roles.

People's ability to park in the car park is dire, not helped by the old faded white lines. Management have refused to get them repainted to make them more obvious.

All training I was given was 'soft skill' training. Nothing directly job related.

There is a lot of talk of following the defined processes as set out as part of ISO 9001. Not everyone follows them however, and management actively encourage forgetting about them when they get in the way. Surely fixing the process to work for you is the correct way to go? (Regularly reviewing the processes is actually a part of ISO 9001)

Lots of manual repetitive tasks in the 'NOC', who should be responsible for maintaining and upgrading the network, however are actually responsible for provisioning leased lines. There was a lot of talk about streamlining the process, and the systems development team did a lot of work to 'improve' things. This boiled down to getting the systems to automatically send emails between teams instead of a human. Effort would have been better focused on working out how to automatically provision this stuff onto the network which would have cut down on hours of unneeded work, and reduce staffing costs.

Their in-house CRM is awful. Most fields are free form, with no validation, which allows you to enter things like 'bert' for a customers telephone number. This makes automating things almost impossible. They have a mountain to climb if they actually want to streamline the business, but nobody seems keep to actually start.

Ditch zebra. The data in there is terrible quality which makes it impossible to actually create new products.

Happy Staff - OR ELSE!!!

Former Employee - Manager in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in Rochdale, England (UK)

I worked at Zen Internet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free Fruit and coffee. Good Canteen. Flexible Hours. Nice Office Environment. Some nice people work there.

Cons

Having a mission of 'Happy Staff' you would think that Zen would encourage staff to be happy. In fact the opposite is true. Its a case of 'You WILL appear to be happy OR ELSE!'

The senior management team give the impression that everything is all relaxed, allowing you to do things at your own pace, and giving the impression that they about you. The reality is a ruthless demanding regime where you must deliver miracles immediately or they will get rid of you.

Everyone seams to be just left to wallow, without any direction or real support. If you are struggling a little with your job, don't extect any sympathy. This is seen as an intolerable weekness, and you will be shown the door. HR won't help you, they will put the boot in and fast-track the exit process.

There are some very sneaky back-stabbing people in Zen. Crawling along to your manager, instead of having the guts to talk to you directly.

It used to be a good place to work, but recently some 'little hitlers' have been recruited who are the usual self centred aggressive corporate, hire and fire, my way or the highway types - intent on making life a misery for everyone.

Really not a pleasant place to work in any more.

Stop recruiting idiots, and be more supportive to existing staff. Give people a chance.

What a place to work.

Current Employee - Service Assurance Engineer in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Service Assurance Engineer in Rochdale, England (UK)

I have been working at Zen Internet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great working relationship between all staf.
    Trust worthy staff base
    Work Party twice a year
    Pay Review every 6months
    Career path reviews to help you move forward either in the company or external
    Beautiful Building and surroundings to work in.

Cons

Salary could do with a bump slightly to bring it inline with the rest of the industry on the work being done and not by the title.

Remember Zen's Values and you will always do alright.

Beaten wife syndrome - "I'm only doing this for your own good, honey"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochdale, England (UK)

I have been working at Zen Internet full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free fruits and monthly 15 min massage - a novelty
    Salary isn't too bad - if you can tolerate middle managers and team leaders

Cons

Richard Tang seems to be a decent CEO.

However, the day-to-day running of the organisation is left to middle management. I have worked for a number of larger organisations prior to this, and in comparison, middle management and team leaders are very amateurish, lack competence and professionalism.

They are usually hired internally from those who have put in the years and can be brought into the "buddies" circle. They lack any kind of people management skills and think that the "big brother" approach together with micro management tactics gets the best out of people, while constantly reassuring the employee that this is all for their own good.

The sad part is some of the new recruits and especially the new graduates actually believe that; because they don't know better.

HR actually provide new middle managers with internal training on people management. Talk about blind leading the blind! You only have to meet a few of the HR people to know what I mean.

To middle management and HR - Stop posting these positive reviews. Reading between the lines (and any intelligent person can see) that the comments are not made by a genuine and happy employee.

Nike of Rochdale - Quality service to customers provided by slave labour/sweatshop mentality

Current Employee - Software Developer in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Rochdale, England (UK)

I have been working at Zen Internet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free fruit and massage and coffee

Cons

I have only worked there for just over a year. If I knew what kind of a company Zen was, I would have never left my previous employer. Management thing that they own your ass as soon as you join the company. They can say and do as they please, like it or lump it.

Refrain from getting management training from "Hitlers school of management". Be more professional, like the larger companies you so desperately are trying to become

PS: The guy who left the positive review, works in Zen Human Resources

An inspiring career move, where you look forward to going to work.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Rochdale, England (UK)

I have been working at Zen Internet

Pros

Zen is on a par with a good London based employer. Job wise it successfully offers the three essential ingredients - autonomy, complexity and a strong correlation between effort and reward. Socio-culturally it's Manchester's own Google-plex. Free Drinks and health foods, massages, an active social and charities committee and a responsible caring vibe that fills the campus. To a person, Zen staff members are respectful, polite and helpful to each other and to customers. Zen encourages you to be the best that you can be. An awesome find.

Cons

Some have a problem with the adjacent locality, being downmarket, but I commute daily and I have no problem with Rochdale. If you smile and say hey to people on the street then guess what? They smile right back. Better to focus on what binds us than what sets us apart.

I have no advice for management. Most entrants on GlassDoor tend to be complaining. After all, it's very much the British way to speak up only when things go wrong. But here I am breaking the trend. Zen appears self aware and confident in it's own direction. Amen to that.