ZenithOptimedia

ZenithOptimedia Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

ZenithOptimedia CEO, Worldwide Steve King

Steve King

Pros
  • Trainee program at Zenith gives you a great opportunity to learn different media roles before becoming an Assistant(in 3 reviews)

• Big company, with cool clients, free food & drinks from all of the meetings going on, and friendly people at the lower level(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance - Worked around the clock - just working no learning experience involved(in 7 reviews)

• Upper management can be very rude and immature(in 4 reviews)

Great place to start career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are a great asset to the company, very social and friendly environment.

ConsWorkload can teeter between extremes.

Started out Fabulously finished shaking my head in disbelief

Senior Vice President (Former Employee)

Pros*There were some incredibly talented and wonderfully nice people during my tenure.
    *Lots of hands on client exposure to many top shelf brands once you've gained a certain level
    *Given a great deal of autonomy to succeed or fail

Cons* There wasn't a great deal work-life balance in this company as they are far understaffed compared to competing agencies so your life becomes your work.
    * Company went through a tumultuous period in Executive Management change and turnover during my time. Part driven by a shift in strategy and part by politics which are ever present at ZO.
    * My departure came about when I was asked to cross a line that I refused to do on moral, ethical and legal grounds. This wasn't the first time I was asked to do things of a questionable nature buy executive management but the final request carried the potential of severe legal consequences if I complied.
    * Bonus plan and options at management level are not really very competitive with other companies though base salary is very good at the upper levels

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are a lot of gray areas in advertising and media and most people know these exist but when you request or force employees under threat of job to violate clients trust and the law you've gone way over the boundaries. Rather than these individuals being punished you've promoted them knowing what they did - shame on you!

Good place to start, would not stay more than a year

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun benefits, lots of perks. Friendly people, and a good opportunity to learn about media.

ConsHorrible work/life balance. Long hours. Stressful. Difficult to find support.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor company culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive benefits and vacation, paid holidays

ConsPoor company culture, strange hierarchy in work

Advice to Senior ManagementMake people feel excited about work and appreciated

No value added experience ...

Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros1. Location
    2. Perks
    3. Thursday Beers
    4. Bagel Friday

Cons1. Dysfunctional Environment
    2. Not up to par with Technology - legacy systems still in place, systems not consistent or connected to each other, everything is manual and painful
    3. Management does not like to go home, honest truth I have found them sleeping in their office
    4. No work life balance - Worked around the clock - just working no learning experience involved
    5. If you don't work late or leave after your boss is gone, management does not consider you a team player
    6. No room for recommendations and contribution - management is not open-minded to change
    7. Did not gain any valuable experience for professional growth

The review stating “Relaxed, comfortable easygoing place to work” -- not true ...
    The falling apart of merger is a great example of how the organization functions ...
    Very disappointed I left a good job to not gain anything ...

Challenging work

Media Supervisor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI made great friends while working at Zenith, but we bonded over our frustrations with working there. Strong client list, and plenty of opportunities to rise through the ranks quickly if you can prove yourself.

ConsI worked on several different accounts during my time at Zenith, and all of them were painfully understaffed. I worked round the clock during planning season (and most other times), BUT had a lot of client contact. I haven't seen the office renovation, but when I worked there, I never saw the sunlight...it was hard to stay motivated in that environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff your teams and pay them competitive salaries!

A great stepping stone for entry-mid level employees

Associate Media Director (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsStrong employee training program. Healthy work/life balance, awesome location in Chicago. Substantial opportunities for growth up through the Associate Director level.

ConsLack of clients, too many local accounts. Lack of career growth and development. Upper management disorganized and at times unprofessional.

Best internship opportunity in a Media Agency

(Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsReally great opportunity to work with Account Executive mentors throughout the semester that give you thorough insight of the workload that needs to be completed with respected deadlines.

Questions are strongly encourage to interns who are starting out, a lot of full-time assistants and mentors are willing to help.

Steady 9-5 days for interns. Overtime is never required.

Lot of free food flowing around during holidays or big meetings with clients.

Great location! No worries about super crowded areas, unless you end up in SoHo which is not too far from ZO. Lot of lunch/dining options around the office.

Opportunity to move forward with ZenithOptimedia for full-time opportunities are also encouraged.

ConsThe 1 train could be troublesome at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Good to start

ProsClients are cool if you get on a good team and every one is young, easy to get along with.

ConsOutdated office space, stressful work environment when it gets busy. Poor work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your office space more open and foster interaction between teams

Loved my time at ZenithOptimedia

Media Planner (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsI loved the people and loved the work, even though some days were frustrating. I got a lot of great experience there that I wouldn't trade for anything.

ConsWorkload was sometimes overwhelming, but it was easy to ask for help most of the time. Favoritism was a problem at times, but not all the time and not with all people.

Worked for ZenithOptimedia? Contribute to the Community!