Zeno Group

Updated December 19, 2014
3.3

Zeno Group Chief Executive Officer Barby K. Siegel
Barby K. Siegel

A lot of useful information and experience

I have been working at Zeno Group

Pros

-Room to grow
    -Work with big companies
    -work cross functionally with departments and teams

Cons

-Office cultural is boring

Be more lively

Awful experience

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zeno Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Bagel Fridays, fun parties for various holidays, casual environment

Cons

SO MUCH WORK. As an intern (5 days/week, all hours done in the office), I averaged 55 hours/week. Unrealistic demands and mean-spirited people. They never hire their interns after the first 3 month review and keep stringing you along until they actually have to hire you or let you go (I ended up finding a real job and quitting after I found this to be the case)

Make the internship experience (especially for post-grads) more varied and exciting so that they can see different areas of the business.

Santa Monica Office

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Zeno Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Frequent all-office meetings and lots of lunch get togethers in the conference room that are paid for. No matter how busy you are, they encourage you to get away and sit down for lunch together in the conference room.

Cons

VERY HIGH turnover. Constant inflow and outflow of people. Probably due to cliques and negative environment. Unrealistic expectations. It takes a certain person to work in PR and not feel bombarded by the amount of work at this office. In my time working there, 2 people from my team quit within 3 months.

Dont be clique-y and take things too personal. They expect too much "sucking up"

Solid Internship Experience

Former Employee - Zeno Group in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Zeno Group in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Zeno Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great intro to the public relations world working with large and small clients from a wide variety of industries. This internship helped me for learn the basics like media lists, press releases, clip reports, Cision, and working with a number of different superiors. I also saw some interesting brainstorming sessions and was able to contribute to new client pitch decks.

Cons

Somewhat boring for interns, as they had more interns than interesting projects. I never felt that I was being challenged or encouraged to learn more or do more. You definitely have to have the right personality to work for a traditional PR agency and climb the ladder. Even though Zeno touts itself as a cutting-edge digital agency, the LA office is pretty traditional PR. I only saw VP-levels working on digital projects.

Get to know the interns better and try to help them grow their skills.

Awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Consumer Marketing Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consumer Marketing Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zeno Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, a lot of out of the box thinking, there's always a new and exciting challenge every day, allows for you to be as creative as you can be, enjoy coming to work every day, everyone helps out each other, leadership is easy to communicate and reach out to, overall great company to work for

Cons

expected to be able to think on your feet and contribute even as lower levels

Fun culture and great learning

I have been working at Zeno Group

Pros

Zeno is a great place to work at. The agency has some really good clients and the people are also a lot of fun.

Cons

The company doesn't sponsor work visa for junior to mid level positions if you are not an American citizen.

None

House of Horrors

I have been working at Zeno Group

Pros

Little to know leadership and management of agency so it is a great place to be to slack off, learn little, surf the net all day - I have been there cruising for three years and I love it - in my 10 am - out by 430 - nobody is watching this hen house

Cons

Mean spirited, no recognition, management berets individuals out in the open for all to hear - pay, well let's just say it's beyond the norm - must have to do that they are owned by the Edelmana

Please try and come into the office and actually do work - it is clear by the way you dress that you are being paid a lot of money - so have the decency to be seems - also can the Edelmans please come and change management quickly - people are unhappy, scarred and just aren't having a good time at all

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zeno Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Zeno offers great creativity, fun and smart staff, and a wide variety of clients. This makes coming to work interesting, albeit sometimes challenging, every day.

Cons

For people who want more structure, this open and entrepreneurial environment may not be a good fit.

Keep focused on proper staffing to avoid staff burn out.

NY management

I worked at Zeno Group

Pros

Nice co-worker, with exception of certain NY practice leads

Cons

Lack of support and structure from senior management. Internal communication processes are nonexistent

Staff will continue to leave and be unhappy at Zeno, until the major management issues are addressed.

Great opportunities, fantastic culture

I have been working at Zeno Group full-time

Pros

- Strong corporate culture
    - Balanced work/personal life
    - Competitive salary
    - Opportunity for growth and advancement
    - Open door policy with management

Cons

I haven't experienced much of a downside at all. I participate in a lot of new business, which I see that some people have noted as a negative, but I think it's only helped me and the company grow.