Zenoss, Inc.
www.zenoss.com Austin, TX 50 to 149 Employees

Zenoss, Inc. Reviews

Updated Jan 24, 2014

Bill Karpovich

Fun company, good benefits and work/life balance, mostly good management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Zenoss, Inc. full-time

ProsNo less than market average for salary. Solid health insurance. Unlimited snacks/sodas/coffee. Location has lots of stores and conveniences on 620. Opportunity to use Python, Unix and other technical skills. Some really good people. Morale has improved recently.

ConsInfrequent updates on company from top level, sometimes not even quarterly. One or two semi-influential people will always be in their positions due to relationship with CEO, not because of merit, ability or fit of position. Once you're in a position, you're in that position - no room for horizontal or vertical movement until a small exodus occurs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your experts. CEO should avoid highly technical discussions. Remember that good business ideas come from everywhere in the company not just from product management. CTO and product manager should work on humility and valuing input of others, including customers. Consider judging CMO against YOY results, numbers speak for themselves and do not lie. I think the management changes in mid to late 2013 were good, but go further: consider who is known for positive and forward-thinking ideas and progress, and who is rigid and is known as a road block? Which do you need to grow in a space that has a lot of competition and is moving faster every year?

Brilliant people, lots of work to do - but a bright future ahead.

Staff Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zenoss, Inc. full-time for more than a year

ProsZenoss has some of the smartest and most interesting people I've ever worked with. Everyone at the company is always willing to lend a hand, answer a question, and give direction without making you feel bad for taking their time. Difficult problems and working with new technologies really pushes you as a developer and keeps the job interesting, challenging, and just the right amount of frightening. So far, I've found it difficult to stay bored.

Benefits are really good and the culture in the development department is the best I've experienced. Work-life balance is important here and that doesn't necissarily mean that everyone is ready to hit the door at 5pm.

ConsZenoss is a complex product that has accumulated a lot of technical debt but the company has committed to cleaning that debt up; which means that you sometimes get stuck working on outdated and poorly written features. Working on a hard problem in an area of poorly written software is frustrating, but honestly, work isn't always sunshine and smiles.

Advice to Senior ManagementMarketing and sales needs attention, too. Development has clear goals, a roadmap to meet those goals, and training to bring new employees up to speed and I hope that other departments have similiar focus.

"Ingenuity, plus courage, plus work, equals miracles"

I have been working at Zenoss, Inc. full-time for less than a year

ProsTalent is the new culture at Zenoss. Change and progress are in the air and every recent new hire at every level is top notch. We're in an amazing new office space replete with ping pong, pool table, etc... and there's a palpable swagger around the office. Leadership appears more focused on results than being present - so we're treated like adults and held accountable to goals rather than a strict in-office schedule.

ConsFor a company of our size to get to the next level, change is inevitable. Our very best thinking and execution got us to this point - and it won't get us any further. We must constantly improve to keep moving forward. Unfortunately for some, that means moving beyond their comfort zones - or even moving on to something new. This isn't so much a con for the company as for some of the folks who like things 'the way they've always been' - and it would be insincere not to acknowledge it as a real dynamic we have to overcome here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing - focus on talent and results above all else.

If disaster were a place this would be it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Zenoss, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey will pay very well

ConsThe product is a wreck and while management is aware of the issues they refuse to invest in re-factoring and instead continue to force engineering to deliver new features built on the broken base.
Technology is ancient (Zope 2) and irrelevant. If you want to learn how to write code for old, unmaintained, and obsolete app server platforms then this is your place.
The CEO has a history of threatening to sue employees who leave to work for any company he views as competitive. He has even sent letters threatening to sue the companies who hired former employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new CEO. The guy running the show did a great job getting the company to $10M annual revenue, but he is way out of his league now.

Zenoss is losing its momentum

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zenoss, Inc. full-time for more than a year

ProsThe technology is leading edge

ConsNot much name recognition in enterprise accounts

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be much more engaged with customers and prospective customers

Great place to work

Senior Support Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zenoss, Inc. full-time for less than a year

ProsThey allow you to work remotely which is very convenient. You get to work with excellent co-workers, very bright people (they hire properly). Always something fun to work on.

ConsI can't personally fault much when it comes to Zenoss. They were lacking in certain processes in the past such as QA, but they have made significant improvements recently and things are looking good.

Smart people all around but the OP control too much

I have been working at Zenoss, Inc. full-time for more than a year

ProsAlways something exciting to work on. If you are creative and self driven this is an easy place to succeed. Co-workers across the company are fun to hang out with.

ConsManagement at all levels. They really put themselves on a pedestal. First company I've worked for that the management is so disconnected from the individual contributors. Can you imagine what this company could do if these guys got it together?

Advice to Senior ManagementPut down the book and lead from the gut. If you understand your employees and their everyday challenges you may actually know how to help them instead of hiring an outside firm to tell you how to lead!

Best Working Environment, Top Quality People, Developing Culture, Great Customer Service.

Python Programmer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zenoss, Inc. full-time for less than a year

ProsI too was concerned about negative comments about Zenoss. But the recruiting experience was comfortable and professional and I felt that the company was concerned about not only meeting their needs but also my needs. I look forward to coming to work every day, and it has been 13 years since I felt that way, but I feel that I can make a difference in the company and in the customers I work with/for.

ConsI have none so far.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop culture and to share goals and results.

positive work environment and good business outlook for the company

I have been working at Zenoss, Inc. full-time for less than a year

ProsGoing in I had heard some of the less than positive comments from previous employees at Zenoss. After talking to a number of employees who had been with the company for more than a few years it was clear that circumstances were a bit rocky for the company in the 2010 and 2011 time frame. The majority of employees work in the Austin office but for a long time there were no company execs based in Austin - CEO was based in Maryland office. The CEO has since relocated to Austin and the new CMO is also in Austin, making for a more engaged and transparent management team. The company was also trying to land some big partnership deals that drained resources and distracted the company. Those distractions are now history. The vibe at the company now is positive and upbeat. Seems like the right product at the right time in the market, business is growing steadily and the outlook is bright. I'm glad I made the decision to come here...

ConsZenoss is still a relatively small company and resources are limited (fewer than 100 employees). As in most small companies it's easy to fall into the trap of trying to pursue too many good opportunities and end up getting spread too thin and not able to execute effectively in any one area. This is a common growing pain for companies the size of Zenoss, management team will need to keep an eye on this and correct course as we grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrategic clarity and ongoing transparency are always appreciated - keep up the good work!

A great place to work!

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zenoss, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

ProsZenoss has many interesting projects that span a wide range of technologies and domains. The projects contain use Java, Python, C, Bash, M4, SQL, XML, dynamic html (javascript + html + css). There are lots of datastorage engines in use (or up and comming): RDMS, object database, graph database, data warehouse, key value stores, and HBASE. Zenoss has a great engineering group with smart engineers and an easy-going culture.

ConsThe company is slow to adopt radical changes in technology.

Worked for Zenoss, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zenoss, Inc. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Zenoss, Inc. CEO Bill Karpovich. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Zenoss, Inc. employees.