Zenoss, Inc.

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015
4.2

Greg Stock

Fantastic company with bright future.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Zenoss, Inc.

Pros

Zenoss has incredibly smart and talented people. The company is growing fast, but remains intensely customer-focused. It has a large, enterprise customer base that is passionate about the company and its solution. Zenoss is a super fun place to work. The headquarters is also very cool.

Cons

Could use a few more reserved parking spaces.

Awesome, fun company!

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Zenoss, Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

High growth, fast-paced, nimble company. Solid revenues/profit/financials. Great products and technology. Great customers. Onsite gym and health-wise culture. New management team focused on culture and winning. GREAT benefits package. Beer and Topochico in the fridge.

Cons

Need more Dos XX in the fridge :)

Keep your foot on the gas pedal! And we need Team Z cycling kit

Smart People, Good Leadership, Interesting Products & Customers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Zenoss, Inc. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Zenoss has the winning combination of people, product, and customers that help make a company successful. The new executive leadership has energy, passion, and inspires the same on their teams. There are smart and mature people all across the company who are focused on getting work done; there's no room for high-tech-it's-all-about-me- ego here. Our team has been provided the resources and support we need to be successful. I can see how the work our team does makes an impact on the business and this is acknowledged by management. Benefits are great, work environment really nice.

Cons

Not everyone likes change. Zenoss is undergoing 2 significant changes: (1) moving from a purely engineering-driven business, to including marketing and sales in company vision. This is a positive change, which will bear good fruit in the long run. (2) Ambitious growth plans will require better infrastructure than is currently in place. Resources are being provided to implement it, but again, it's not for everyone.

Keep clear, consistent lines of communication open. Continue the focus on building a strong culture.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Zenoss, Inc. full-time

Pros

They allow working remotely and provide a great salary and benefits. I have met some of the smartest people while working here.

Cons

All of these smart people have great ideas and its hard to maintain focus at times. The area of monitoring is hard and there are lots of competitors. It may be an uphill battle to gain marketshare.

Focus on simplification. Find areas of duplication and simplify the projects. Reward employees who find areas of efficiency and implement those strategies.

I can't think of a better place to be right now!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Zenoss, Inc. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Exciting and dynamic new leadership team. The new CEO gets it! The people are not only smart, but also fun and nice to work with. Great culture, benefits and pay.

Cons

We are in the process of addressing some of the internal infrastructure (processes) short comings. For me that is a fun time to be here because you get to contribute and make a difference.

Innovative and smart company!!

I have been working at Zenoss, Inc. part-time

Pros

Management understands and honors flexible work schedules. Employees are smart, dynamic and friendly. Cool company break room with pool and ping pong table. The company mission is growing and they are definitely heading places!! Lucky to be onboard.

Cons

No benefits for part time employees (<30hrs/week).
    No 401K employer match.

The best people I've ever worked with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Zenoss, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great. I work on a team of very smart, hard-working people. I get to touch a lot of interesting technologies in my day-to-day job. The culture is fantastic, too. Free snacks, drinks, beer, etc. Office is within walking distance to several places to grab lunch.

Cons

The product is based on outdated technology and rather than fixing it at its core, the product management team is more focused on making pretty features when the correct long-term solution is actually fixing the product.

Get the product off of relstorage and Zope. Put more stake in your employees. Get rid of your failing marketing team and start over; slamming competitors isn't marketing. Take the community seriously.

High-caliber developers, good outlook

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Zenoss, Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The software developers are absolutely top-notch. No prima donnas, but plenty of humble geniuses. There are ample opportunities to learn here and improve your craft. Work/life balance is wonderful - most employees have happy families, and the single folks have a social life outside of Zenoss. Free drinks and snacks in the cafeteria. All-hands meetings are transparent enough to keep everyone up-to-date on all the important company news, and are always followed by happy hour.

Cons

No 401k matching! All the other benefits are nice though. Marketing and sales tactics were kind of well... they're starting to show some improvements!

Zenoss 5.x has great potential. So glad to see it coming together! We still have a long way to go in empowering and growing the community. A freemium story seems like an obvious missing piece of the puzzle. Give sysadmins something to try out right away the first time they hear about us.

We want at least one or two people (preferably not Zenoss employees) at every relevant conference and user group excited enough about Zenoss to throw together a compelling lightning talk demo on their own. ("Wow! Check out this cool tool I found!") Make it easy for them to succeed. Make it easy for new sysadmins to try it out and fall in love.

Some of the brightest and the best - Bring your "A" Game.

I have been working at Zenoss, Inc. full-time

Pros

Without exception, Zenoss has the highest concentration of "Rockstar / A-List" employees I've ever worked with making it one of the most rewarding jobs I've had - and one of the most challenging. If you come here, be prepared to put in some extra effort to gain the respect of your peers. Salaries seem to be slightly better than industry average, and from what I've observed, work hours seems to be pretty flexible as long as the work is getting done. There's a good selection of of free food and drink in break room and there's pool and ping-pong tables.

Cons

I think the company is too frequent changes with shifts in the strategic direction, and there's a resulting list of competing priorities thats too long for the resources currently in place. I like being busy, but having an insurmountable workload can be frustrating at times. While the salaries are good, and the health plans seems OK too, there are a couple things lacking that "big companies" have - most notable to me is the lack of employer matching on 401K.

Pick a direction, stick with it, align the entire company behind it, and jettison every bit of unnecessary work so we can focus on whats most critical.

Fun atmosphere with a big future

I have been working at Zenoss, Inc. full-time

Pros

Lots to like at Zenoss today: team works hard together, leadership is really listening, and exciting future on the horizon.

Cons

Still working through technical debt but who isn't in the enterprise SW space. Resources can be tight, but the doing more with less is how great tech companies succeed.

Keep the open dialog going and hire only the best folks!